2009 News/Schedule Thread - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-19-2009, 09:18 PM   #46
country flag tsurupettan
aeroDYNAMIC

tsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2009 News/Schedule Thread

Aw.

tsurupettan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2009, 08:55 AM   #47
heya
Banned!

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

With coaches, Blake, Roddick take different paths to success http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tenni...-coaches_N.htm
By Douglas Robson, Special for USA TODAY
Since turning pro within a year of each other nearly a decade ago, Andy Roddick and James Blake have become friends and travel partners, shared Davis Cup duties and carried American hopes on their backs.

But the best male players of the current generation have taken a radically different approach when it comes to the voice in their ears.

Since joining the circuit in 2000, the cannon-serving, forthright Roddick has engaged no less than seven coaches on a part- or full-time basis. Blake, who spent two years at Harvard before jumping to the pros in 1999, has had one.

"I've always said about tennis, it's a very individual sport," 13th-ranked Blake said in a conference call last month. "What works for one will never work for another."

"I don't think it was a conscious decision or anything I set out at 18 years old" to have so many different voices over the course of the career, Roddick says. "I don't think it's something that you can generalize."

Roddick began his 2009 campaign with new coach Larry Stefanki, a former pro and veteran coach who has worked with a number of top players. Stefanki replaced Jimmy Connors, who Roddick parted ways with last spring.

Blake is in Indian Wells with Brian Barker, the only coach he has had since age 11.

Blake is much more the exception than the rule. Most players switch coaches throughout their playing days as priorities change and relationships become stale. Compensation, travel and logistics also play a role.

Finding the right mix can be tricky, as Roger Federer learned last week. The Swiss No. 2 could not come to terms with former pro and ESPN commentator Darren Cahill after inviting him for a trial run to his second home in Dubai last week. Cahill, with two young children, didn't want to travel as much as Federer required.

Both Americans say there are pros and cons to their different approaches.

"For me, I would not be nearly as successful with someone that didn't know me as a person, and know my strengths and weaknesses on the court," says Blake, who at 29 has finished in the top 10 two of the last three years.

Roddick joked that mimicking Blake would "require me finding a coach that could put up with me for nine years."

Blake praised Barker for knowing the nuances of his game and for being as much friend as mentor, as when he supported Blake through his comeback in 2004 following a broken neck, the death of his father and a vision-blurring disease.

"I credit him with making me the best player I can possibly be, and absolutely maximizing my potential," says Blake, adding that "we are going to be friends for life, that's not even a question."

"One of the things that makes our bond strong is that there have been so many ups and downs," Barker says.

Former No. 1 Roddick, 26, likes to pick the brain of some of game's best minds, and it has often paid quick dividends.

He rode his early association with Brad Gilbert in 2003 by storming through the summer hardcourt swing and winning the U.S. Open. He has also started strong with Stefanki, reaching the Australian Open semifinals and winning last month's indoor tournament at Memphis.

"There's been a couple of times in my career where it's really jump-started my playing just by having a fresh voice," Roddick says.

The downside is the getting-to-know-you process, along with periods of transition.

"Obviously, continuity is a good thing, and there have certainly been times where I've been without someone or in transition and you're just kind of trying to make due," Roddick said.

With 37 titles and a Davis Cup championship between them, the two Americans must be doing something right, even if they have chosen opposing coaching paths.

"If he had the same coach the whole time he wouldn't be as good as he is, said Blake of Roddick. "If I had changed coaches, the way he has, I wouldn't be as good."
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:07 AM   #48
heya
Banned!

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.blongerbros.com/genealogy/
Andy's great-great-grandfather is Michael Belonger.
http://www.blongerbros.com/genealogy...els_family.asp

http://www.blongerbros.com/genealogy...ly.asp#frances
Old 04-19-2009, 04:46 PM   #49
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Roddick to play Indy Tennis Championships
By Mark Ambrogi
Posted: April 19, 2009

The Indianapolis Tennis Championships often doesn’t determine its match schedule until the night before the matches.
Advertisement

But tournament director Kevin Martin is already planning ahead for the July 20-26 tournament at the Indianapolis Tennis Center. Martin announced today that two-time Indianapolis champion Andy Roddick will open play in the featured evening match on July 21.

Martin said this will help fans to plan ahead to see fan favorite Roddick play.

The session will be called Andy’s Day. It will benefit Andy Roddick Foundation, which was set up by Roddick and his mother, Blanche, to help children improve their educational and economic opportunities.

“We are very excited about working with the tournament to make Tuesday night (July 21) a successful evening of tennis and fundraising,” Roddick said in a statement.

“Our foundation is dedicated to brightening the future of children. We see this as perfect opportunity to make an even bigger difference for those in need.”

Spectators with the name of Andrew or a derivative of the name will get in free with a photo ID.

Sale of specially designed T-shirts, which benefit the foundation, also will be available for purchase that day.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:12 PM   #50
country flag tennis lover

tennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond repute

that's a bit sexist, not going to find many females called andrew!

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
tennis lover is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:14 PM   #51
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Andrea, maybe?

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 04-19-2009, 06:42 PM   #52
country flag tsurupettan
aeroDYNAMIC

tsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond repute

What the... oh the ways Andy ends up raising money for his charity. Andy Day. At least it's all for a good cause.

tsurupettan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:14 PM   #53
heya
Banned!

Senile mom strikes again. Who cares about winning?
We cure cancer, even after we die young Andy!
Old 04-20-2009, 05:25 PM   #54
country flag MissFairy

MissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deboogle!. View Post

Spectators with the name of Andrew or a derivative of the name will get in free with a photo ID.
That is the most random incentive ever It's nice of them to support the foundation, but letting Andys in for free?!? What about Blanches? Poor Ma Roddick.
I also did not eat Curry 'cos it rhymes with Murray.

I fangirl for Roddickulous, Youzhless and the Djoke.
g1MmYM@NnN!!!122!!
MissFairy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:35 PM   #55
country flag Deboogle!.

It reminds me of a hotel I stayed in in Italy. It's the Hotel David, and they had on their site that if your name was David you got a 5% discount on your stay, or something like that

Old 04-20-2009, 05:46 PM   #56
country flag MissFairy

MissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond repute

That's crazy! Maybe that's where they got their idea?! It's a pretty strange way to drum up publicity. Although at least it makes a BIT of sense, it'd be worse if he had a random name, like Nikolay day or Novak day. How many of those are there in Indiana?
I also did not eat Curry 'cos it rhymes with Murray.

I fangirl for Roddickulous, Youzhless and the Djoke.
g1MmYM@NnN!!!122!!
MissFairy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #57
country flag Deboogle!.

Probably not so many

Old 04-25-2009, 02:07 PM   #58
heya
Banned!

I know how you feel, Andy:
If you're not in the top 2 like your hero Agassi, you shouldn't show up. The honesty from you is legal. You don't have to lie every time you speak just to look humble! *pats you on the head

Let it go. You know the reasons for losing, Andy.
I'm yawning...Hopefully, Verdasco overtakes you and I'll watch your face when you're ranked #90 like Safin did.
Poor coach Larry. Another useless assignment.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/7959937.stm
"I'm excited about my prospects this year," said Roddick.

"To be honest I haven't played my best tennis at Wimbledon over the last couple of years. This year I'm playing better and moving a little bit better."
Old 04-29-2009, 04:21 PM   #59
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

TR.net:

Rumors have been circulating in the industry that Andy Roddick and his agent, BEST tennis president Ken Meyerson, have left the company to join Team Lagardere (which Roddick already has a patch deal with), but Meyerson says that at this point, he's happy where he’s at. However, there appears to be something to the rumor and Meyerson did admit to having some 'high-level' discussion with some other BEST executives over the matter. Word has it Lagardere represents a bunch of French players, including Richard Gasquet and Alize Cornet, is intersted in buying BEST's tennis division.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:27 PM   #60
country flag Deboogle!.

Matt Cronin? spreading a completely unsubstantiated rumor? I'm absolutely gobsmacked.