Competing in uk?? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-20-2008, 10:24 PM   #1
country flag tennismennis

tennismennis is on a distinguished road
Default Competing in uk??

hi there,
i would like to play tennis tournaments (18 and older) here in england and i checked out the lta website but the information on there wasnt very clear.
it says that from grade 5 on the tournaments count for ratings and rankings. but how do i qualify for those tournaments?
can i just participate in grade 3,2 or 1 tournaments or do i need to have gained enough points?
is there a website that explains this a bit more?
Also, do lta rankings/points allow players to qualify for itf tournaments(futures, sattelite) or are itf tournaments independent from the lta rankings?
any input appreciated. cheers
tennismennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2008, 10:53 PM   #2
country flag JustJames
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

JustJames has a reputation beyond reputeJustJames has a reputation beyond reputeJustJames has a reputation beyond reputeJustJames has a reputation beyond reputeJustJames has a reputation beyond reputeJustJames has a reputation beyond reputeJustJames has a reputation beyond reputeJustJames has a reputation beyond reputeJustJames has a reputation beyond reputeJustJames has a reputation beyond reputeJustJames has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Competing in uk??

You do actually need to go to www.lta.org.uk and become an LTA member - if you're a member of a British tennis club you can join for free. Once you have received confirmation of your membership you can begin to enter tournaments - the list of available tournaments can be found if you click on the 'Search' button at the top right of the LTA's homepage. Some tournaments can be entered online however for most you will have to contact the tournament organiser either by phone or email to get entrance details - there is generally a charge for entering the tournament. Grade 1 tournaments are actually the highest quality of tournament and will consist of the best players. You are entitled to enter most tournaments [although some required a rating of 4.1, 3.1 etc or higher - your rating, i.e ability level, can be gained from your club's coach and then entered online or you can be given a suggested rating by the LTA website] and your best bet is contact the tournament organiser and to ask about eligibility.

There is no connection between LTA ranking/rating and gaining access to Futures tournaments however the standard is often very high at such tournaments and an average club player would get little more than 6-0 6-0 - although this shouldn't necessarily stop you from trying! If you do decided to enter Futures tournaments[Satellites are now defunct..] you will need to get an 'IPIN' from www.itftennis.com. This will then allow you to enter into Futures tournaments. However as you will start as an 'Unranked' player you cannot enter tournaments online and will have to simply turn up on the day of qualifying at any Futures tournament with your IPIN to hand.

If you have any more questions, just ask.. I'll answer to the best of my knowledge!

Supporting British tennis at: http://www.freewebs.com/britishtennis/
JustJames is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:41 PM   #3
country flag tennismennis

tennismennis is on a distinguished road

thanks for your extensive reply james

i appreciate it.
im based in leeds (yorkshire). i need some good hitting partners.
can i find good hitting partners without having to join a club? i found some websites for tennis players seeking hitting partners. not sure how good the websites are though. need to check them out.
cheers
tennismennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:25 PM   #4
country flag Benzilla7

Benzilla7 has a reputation beyond reputeBenzilla7 has a reputation beyond reputeBenzilla7 has a reputation beyond reputeBenzilla7 has a reputation beyond reputeBenzilla7 has a reputation beyond reputeBenzilla7 has a reputation beyond reputeBenzilla7 has a reputation beyond reputeBenzilla7 has a reputation beyond reputeBenzilla7 has a reputation beyond reputeBenzilla7 has a reputation beyond reputeBenzilla7 has a reputation beyond repute

LTA, but for the best tournaments I'd wait for summer time. Most of them are indoor at the moment because of the weather.

• Djokovic
  • Tsonga
  • Nalbandian
  • Safin
  • Haas
  • Hewwit
Benzilla7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote