Davis Cup 2008 final - leading Argentina's quest to win their first DC - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-22-2008, 01:06 AM   #91
country flag Joolz

Joolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Davis Cup 2008 final - leading Argentina's quest to win their first DC

The Argentine newspapers report that David will indeed play the doubles with Calleri tomorrow.
Joolz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2008, 02:53 AM   #92
country flag Argentine girl

Argentine girl has a reputation beyond reputeArgentine girl has a reputation beyond reputeArgentine girl has a reputation beyond reputeArgentine girl has a reputation beyond reputeArgentine girl has a reputation beyond reputeArgentine girl has a reputation beyond reputeArgentine girl has a reputation beyond reputeArgentine girl has a reputation beyond reputeArgentine girl has a reputation beyond reputeArgentine girl has a reputation beyond reputeArgentine girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Davis Cup 2008 final - leading Argentina's quest to win their first DC

I would like to know what song did the Argentine supporter sing during the match. This song is beautiful.

Vamos David!!!!!!!! I know you can bring home the trophy.
Argentine girl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:10 AM   #93
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute

I wrote on my match preview that I was going to 'cover' the whole tie from start to finish, so now I'm sort of obligated to write something after each day's play, just to keep up with my word.

Del Potro's injury puts Argentina's Davis Cup chances in doubt

Prior to the start of the Davis Cup clash between Spain and Argentina, Argentina were firm favourites to take a 2-0 lead on the opening day. But at the end of the opening day's play, both countries were level at 1-1, with Argentina's David Nalbandian comfortably defeating David Ferrer 6-3 6-2 6-3 in the opening rubber, before Spain's Feliciano Lopez produced a minor upset to defeat Juan Martin Del Potro 4-6 7-6(2) 7-6(4) 6-3.

With the groin injury that Del Potro picked up towards the conclusion of his encounter, the hopes of Argentina taking home their first Davis Cup looks more uncertain than ever, now that it has been reported that Del Potro will not be fit enough to take the court for the reverse singles.

Today's doubles rubber should be the decisive factor in this final, where the winning nation should be favoured to lift the trophy on Sunday. Spain should start the match as slight favourites given their better track record in Davis Cup doubles, whereas Nalbandian/Calleri have shown an inconsistent level in the past, most notably in the 2006 final where the Argentine pair meekly went down to Marat Safin and Dmitry Tursunov in three very one-sided sets.

The day started off brightly for the Argentine team, with David Nalbandian, as usual, relishing the opportunity of playing for his country, finding his best tennis to dispatch of David Ferrer comfortably. Nalbandian has openly expressed his burning desire to win the Davis Cup, and he was extremely fired up for the occasion. In this frame of mind, Nalbandian is tough to beat, showing the sort of killer instinct that is often lacking on the main tour. That added purpose and determination in his mindset means that he doesn't give away any more cheap points than necessary, and on the occasion he does, he bounces right back and continues to pour the pressure on his opponent. Ferrer had chances in this match, but whenever it felt like the match was building up to a contest, Nalbandian either edged it out to hold onto his serve, or bounced back strongly to break serve in the following game.

The match was more hard fought than the score suggested with both players often being pushed to the brink on their own service games. The match started off in a similar vein to many of their previous matches, featuring long, extended rallies, with Nalbandian being more adventurous in his shot selection. Nalbandian took an early break lead, then Ferrer started to maintain better depth and his accuracy on his groundstrokes to briefly threaten Nalbandian. But he was struggling to effectively set up points on his own serve, where he was often being attacked and immediately put on the back foot.

Ferrer has been struggling with his form as of late, and that showed in his patchy performance. Ferrer doesn't strike me as the kind of player that has the inner confidence to rise to the occasion, when he doesn't have the match wins under his belt. On the other hand, he is a battler and once he gets his teeth into a match, he can be dangerous. Ferrer needed to be rock solid to pose any threat, but it never looked like he had the necessary feel on the groundstrokes, often muscling it into the court.

Nalbandian has the superior shotmaking abilities to Ferrer, often catching Ferrer off-guard with changes of pace down-the-line and angled shots off both sides, but particularly on the forehand. The key for Nalbandian is to attack selectively, but slow down the pace when in a defensive position unless if he is attempting a winning shot. In particular, he was winning a lot of points on the return of serve, nailing that forehand crosscourt when receiving the wide swinging serve on the deuce court. By the end, the amount of winners started to mount for Nalbandian, while Ferrer started to lose belief after he squandered break points early in the third set.

It was up to Feliciano Lopez to keep Spain's hopes alive, and he delivered in abundance. Sometimes Lopez can be overly reliant on his own serve, and can be prone to making awful errors, but against Del Potro, he put in one of the most consistently effective performances I've seen from him. Lopez started off slow, being outplayed easily from the back of the court, and he handed the early break of serve to Del Potro with four sloppy errors. I think of Lopez as more of a short point player, thinking that eventually his groundstrokes would break down against most of his peers.

Usually when players face Lopez, they look to target his major weakness, the backhand where he is severely lacking an attacking shot, and resorts to the slice on most occasions. It's like the safe haven for players to go to when they're on the dead run. But this is a match-up that strongly favours Lopez, because Del Potro has been known to struggle with low slice backhands. He also likes to get into a rhythm from the back of the court, which Lopez does not provide him with.

Del Potro showed a lack of tactical awareness, displaying no particular pattern of play in order to win points. His accuracy was poor, letting Lopez taking more of an aggressive mindset, and quickly move up to the centre of the court, to put away volleys. He needed to take him out of court better and move the Spaniard around. On occasion, I noted him trying to trading crosscourt forehands to Lopez's backhand side, but Lopez promptly ran around it hit a forehand. He attempted a similar pattern of play against Roger Federer in Madrid, and got burned consistently. He needs to learn that you need to either open up the court to find an opponent's weakness or do so with much better accuracy.

Lopez seemed to enjoy the pace of Del Potro's groundstrokes, as well as the low bounce on the court which enabled him to shorten his backswings and redirect his shots. His groundstrokes were holding up remarkably well, even in the longer rallies. Importantly, he was also executing the lower difficulty shots well, taking care of the high volleys, put away shots and serving consistently well, which can sometimes be a problem with him. He never buckled under pressure, apart from one slight hiccup early in the third set and kept up a consistently high level to defeat Del Potro, who struggled with a groin injury from midway through the third set.

http://mvn.com/tennisdiary/2008/11/d...-in-doubt.html
krystlel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:10 AM   #94
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute

From the Davis Cup website:

Nalbandian dismisses Ferrer to seal opener

David Nalbandian outclassed Spain's No. 1 David Ferrer 63 62 63 to give his home team the first point on the scoreboard and send the fans in the Estadio Islas Malvinas into a frenzy as the 2008 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas Final got underway in Mar del Plata.

Ferrer failed to get ahead at any point in the match and was under constant pressure from some solid serving and remarkable net play from the Argentine, leaving world No. 31 Feliciano Lopez to pick up the pieces against 2008 sensation Juan Martin del Potro in Friday’s second singles match.

For Nalbandian, it was yet another chance to show his Davis Cup prowess and the world No. 11, who had been waiting six years for this very moment to arrive, lapped up the standing ovation from his 10,000 adoring fans and joined in with their ear-splitting football chants that sent the decibel monitors off the scale.

“I don't think it was one of my best matches, but I played very well, I played very solid from the first point, so that gave me confidence point by point,” said Nalbandian after the match. “I think I played a match of very high level, not much on the time, very short, and that's very good for the whole weekend."

Nalbandian needed a couple of games to find his comfort zone on court but from then on, was on cruise control with a reliable serve and crafty volleys that were very occasionally exquisite to watch.

"You have to play good all the way, but on the tough moments you have to be brave and play your best."

Many had expected this match to be a slightly tighter affair, given Ferrer’s resilient mental and physical strength which is always an asset in Davis Cup, but the Spaniard – who still leads their series 6-4 – looked uncomfortable, submissive and perturbed on court, wasting seven of his nine break point opportunities in the match and posting almost twice as many errors than his opponent.

“No match against David is easy but I didn’t have good feelings on the court,” said Ferrer, whose demeanour on court was at times unreadable and frustrating to watch. Not even intense words from captain Emilio Sanchez and the team coaches between points could lift the sluggish Ferrer, who at one point during the match, stole away to the back of the court, head down, to lean back and try to regain his composure.

This match was always going to be a bigger challenge for Ferrer, who not only had to take on a man who was no doubt going to be on top of his game, but also manage a hostile crowd which was constantly being silenced by umpire Pascal Maria every time the Spaniard would settle down to play.

For Nalbandian, his 17th home victory is yet another notch on his Davis Cup bedpost and he yet again confirms himself as one of the most reliable and motivated players the competition had ever witnessed.

http://www.daviscup.com/news/matchre...rticleid=15456
Old 11-22-2008, 05:37 AM   #95
country flag krystlel

Sorry for posting yet another article, but this one is a really good one (better than the other two). I love the quotes.

Nalbandian Routs Ferrer in Davis Cup opener

The thumping of drums reverberated beneath the roof of the Estadio Islas Malvinas. It was a fitting soundtrack for David Nalbandian to deliver a percussive pounding to David Ferrer in showing the Spaniard the door, 6-3, 6-2, 6-3, to stake Argentina to a 1-0 lead in the Davis Cup final in Mar del Plata today.

Juan Martin del Potro faces Spain's Feliciano Lopez in the second match as Argentina continues its quest for its first Davis Cup championship in history in this, its third appearance in the final following runner-up finishes in 1981 and 2006.

"If we win, it would be historic, not only for Argentina, but for all of South America," Nalbandian said after today's triumph. "The crowd support and love for my country is always inspiring in Davis Cup. Today in particular the fans were cheering at all the right times. I played very well, I played very solid from the first point, so that gave me confidence point by point. I think I played a match of very high level, not much on the time, very short, and that's very good for the whole weekend. I am very happy I didn't expend a lot of energy because I want to play doubles tomorrow."

Indeed, captain Alberto Mancini is expected to announce Nalbandian will be a doubles starter on Saturday, partnering either Jose Acasuso or Agustin Calleri, who were the captain's choices as the starting doubles team at Thursday's draw ceremony. Asked who he prefers to play with, Nalbandian, who owns a 10-4 Davis Cup doubles record, including 2-0 marks with both Acasuso and Calleri, replied: "I have no preference; it doesn't matter. I just want to play."

Nalbandian played in the 2006 final in Moscow that saw Marat Safin beat Jose Acasuso to clinch a 3-2 victory. Davis Cup brings out the best in Nalbandian, who considers the competition the "most important" event of his season and characterized this weekend's tie as the most important event in the history of Argentine tennis.

"The five points that we’re going to play are the most important in the history of national tennis," Nalbandian said during the practice week that preceded today's match. "It’s nothing less and we can’t give away anything."

Playing with an oppressive approach from the outset, the one hour, 59-minute dissection of the World No. 12 was a vintage Nalbandian performance.

Reading the Ferrer serve as clearly as his name on the scoreboard, Nalbandian converted seven of 15 break point chances, won 29 of the 58 points played on Ferrer's first serve (50 percent) and consistently bewildered the Spaniard with dazzling down the line drives.

"Nalbandian was hitting it too hard, too fast and too deep," Ferrer said. "My legs couldn't keep up with the velocity and speed of his deep shots."

Exhorted by a vocal crowd of nearly 10,000 fans that included Argentine Hall of Famers Guillermo Vilas and Gabriela Sabatini and an enthusiastic corps who banged drums throughout much of the match in drowing out the horn-playing contingent of Spanish fans, Nalbandian earned two break points in the opening game. He netted a forehand on the first and Ferrer saved the second with a sharp-angled backhand winner to hold at 1-0.

Tennis is a game of firsts: win the first set and you're odds of winning the match increase significantly. Nalbandian has been a fast starter throughout his Davis Cup career: he had won the opening set in 10 straight Davis Cup singles matches, posting an 8-2 record in that span and was determined to assert his authority at the start today.

On the strength of a series of punishing crosscourt patterns that opened the court for his down the line drives, Nalbandian broke for 2-1. He held at love with a forehand winner down the line to extend the lead to 3-1.

The sixth game was the longest of the set. Nalbandian showcased slick racquet skills and fine feel in lifting a backhand drop volley winner over the net, stopping the ball as if it was on a string to seize a 4-2 lead he celebrated by waving his index finger in the air.

Driving a forehand down the line, Nalbandian hammered a forehand winner corsscourt to earn double break point and a Ferrer error gave him another break and a 5-2 lead.

Ferrer broke back as a Nalbandian backhand missed the mark wide, but it was a short-lived reprieve. In the ninth game, Nalbandian froze Ferrer with sharp-angle forehand crosscourt winner. A Ferrer error handed Nalbandian two set points. When Ferrero flailed a forehand beyond the baseline, Nalbandian walked to his court-side seat with a clenched fist and first set in hand, 6-3.

"From the first point you could tell the surface was favored to me and that's the purpose of home-court advantage," Nalbandian said. "The fans carried me to another level. I loved the drums. My confidence grew because I won the first set."

The 160-pound, fleet-footed Ferrer entered the match against the hard-hitting Nalbandian knowing he had to try to transform the encounter into a running match and stretch the slightly slower Argentine wide to have any shot of crafting an upset. But Nalbandian, who takes the ball earlier and hits a flatter, faster ball, spent the match precisely moving Ferrer around the court as if here a pawn in his own personal chess game.

A set and a half into the match, Ferrer felt the effects of Nalbandian's suffocating play.

Running to his right, Nalbandian ripped a forehand winner crosscourt, putting the ball right on the baseline and celebrating the break with a primal scream to take a 3-1 lead. It was the shot of the match, prompting a resounding roar from the crowd. And though Ferrer would break back for 2-3, Nalbandian ran off three straight games to seal the second set.

The 26-year-old from Valencia has hard-court credentials: two of Ferrer's seven career titles have come on hard court and he beat Rafael Nadal en route to the 2007 U.S. Open semifinals. But Ferrer conceded he's been struck by a confidence crisis in recent months: he posted a 5-7 record in his final seven tournaments of the season and ended the season on a three-match losing skid. Ferrer is a humble man who could not hide the disappointment and personal pain he felt after the lopsided loss.

"I felt inferior as a player and as a person and it hurts me personally," Ferrer said afterward. "I've been in a slump for two months. I did the best I could."

Confronted with the inevitable question of how the absence of World No. 1 Nadal, who pulled out of the final citing knee tenditis, has hurt the Spanish cause, Ferrer flashed a rare show of frustration and anger. "Don't ask me that question again," he said. "He's not here. We have to deal with it. That's that."

http://www.tennisweek.com/news/fulls...newsid=6623009
Old 11-22-2008, 07:23 AM   #96
country flag crazy_nanine

crazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystlel View Post
I wrote on my match preview that I was going to 'cover' the whole tie from start to finish, so now I'm sort of obligated to write something after each day's play, just to keep up with my word.

Del Potro's injury puts Argentina's Davis Cup chances in doubt
Thanks Krystle
crazy_nanine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:42 AM   #97
country flag crazy_nanine

crazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"The crowd support and love for my country is always inspiring in Davis Cup. Today in particular the fans were cheering at all the right times. I played very well, I played very solid from the first point, so that gave me confidence point by point. I think I played a match of very high level, not much on the time, very short, and that's very good for the whole weekend. I am very happy I didn't expend a lot of energy because I want to play doubles tomorrow."
Sounds like he intended to play doubles from the beginning, and I believe he'll be even more motivated now

Quote:
"I felt inferior as a player and as a person and it hurts me personally," Ferrer said afterward. "I've been in a slump for two months. I did the best I could."
He sounds really hurt That's the bad thing about sport, that someone has to lose. I often feel bad for the losing player...hope Ferrer will play good again, but some other time when he's not playing Argentina in this final sorry Ferrer
crazy_nanine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:25 AM   #98
country flag camilia

camilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joolz View Post
The Argentine newspapers report that David will indeed play the doubles with Calleri tomorrow.
in the davis up website it's written (Acasuso/Calleri)!
camilia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:29 AM   #99
country flag camilia

camilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond repute

I really hope they win today
camilia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 03:06 PM   #100
country flag tennisace

tennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond repute

ferrer has been left by camille pin (his girlfriend just before bercy that's why he feels sad
tennisace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 03:17 PM   #101
country flag HeretiC

HeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond repute

Hey all, are you watching doubles ?
HeretiC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 03:25 PM   #102
country flag krystlel

Yeah, I'm watching. From early impressions, it looks like the match will mainly be about the serves and returns.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:25 PM   #103
country flag Joolz

Joolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.
David is on fire. But will that be enough?
Old 11-22-2008, 03:28 PM   #104
country flag krystlel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joolz View Post
Yes.
David is on fire. But will that be enough?
I noticed. It hasn't made much of a difference yet though.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #105
country flag Joolz

Lopez and Verdasco are trying to hit everything they can at Calleri.