Paris 2008: A runner up - but still with the best display for the eye - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-31-2008, 08:38 PM   #136
country flag Joolz

Joolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paris 2008: The Last Stand: Into the SF against Davydenko

I agree, Davydenko hasn't really been tested, so it's difficult to judge his form.

In any case, David will have to keep the points short. Just like he did in the first set of their last DC match. Back then, he ran out of steam afterwards. But I think he knows how he has to play against Davydenko.
Today's match must've cost some strength but also given him a lot of confidence.

And Davydenko likes to play as much as possible, so maybe he's really unhappy that he only got to be out there for about 45 minutes today.
Joolz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2008, 08:47 PM   #137
country flag HeretiC

HeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a good point, the less he plays the more "rusty" are his grounstrokes cause he is playing quite flat and his shots doesn't have a high error margin from the net or the lines, he always goes for the corners.
Btw if David gets in the Final who would you prefer against him, Roddick, Tsonga or Blake?
HeretiC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:48 PM   #138
country flag Pepi.
Ajmo Marin!

Pepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond repute

David

didnt expect this!

just play your best tomorrow, Good luck

Quote:
Q. Why are you playing such good tennis?

MARIN CILIC: 'Cause I'm a good player (smiling).
Marin Cilic & Jo Wilfried Tsonga
Gasquet Dimitrov Gulbis
Pepi. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:57 PM   #139
country flag crazy_nanine

crazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeretiC View Post
Thats a good point, the less he plays the more "rusty" are his grounstrokes cause he is playing quite flat and his shots doesn't have a high error margin from the net or the lines, he always goes for the corners.
Btw if David gets in the Final who would you prefer against him, Roddick, Tsonga or Blake?
Roddick for me, I don't like his game so much, but wouldn't that be the safest scenario for David to qualify for the TMC and stay in the top 10? of course if he wins (sorry I'm talking about rankings again )
But in general I'd prefer Tsonga first, because I like it when David plays against a player at home, I like to see how he handles the pressure of the crowd. Then Blake, because I never had the chance to see them playing against each other before
crazy_nanine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:03 PM   #140
country flag Joolz

Joolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond repute

Difficult to say.
I think he'd probably have the best chances against Tsonga.
I don't like Blake and haven't watched him play this week, so I can't really say anything about him. Though I don't think the fact David lost his only match against Blake necessarily proves that it's a bad match-up in general.
Actually, I'd like to see him take on Roddick. But probably for nostalgic reasons. That USO semi '03 was the first time I saw David play and I haven't been able to watch any of their matches since.
A lame reply, I know...

Edit: Okay, so it's not going to be Roddick.

Last edited by Joolz : 10-31-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:50 PM   #141
country flag HeretiC

HeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_nanine View Post
Roddick for me, I don't like his game so much, but wouldn't that be the safest scenario for David to qualify for the TMC and stay in the top 10? of course if he wins (sorry I'm talking about rankings again )
But in general I'd prefer Tsonga first, because I like it when David plays against a player at home, I like to see how he handles the pressure of the crowd. Then Blake, because I never had the chance to see them playing against each other before
If David wins tomorow he will get ahead of Ferrer in the rankings in the 10th spot. Only one who can steal that spot might be Tsonga but if he wins in the final. If David wins the final too, he will be either 7th or max 8th if Blake gets in the final. In that scenario Del Potro and Simon will be out. Race and Rankings are the same at the end of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joolz View Post
Difficult to say.
I think he'd probably have the best chances against Tsonga.
I don't like Blake and haven't watched him play this week, so I can't really say anything about him. Though I don't think the fact David lost his only match against Blake necessarily proves that it's a bad match-up in general.
Actually, I'd like to see him take on Roddick. But probably for nostalgic reasons. That USO semi '03 was the first time I saw David play and I haven't been able to watch any of their matches since.
A lame reply, I know...
David has a losing H2H against both of them. 2:3 against Roddick and 0:1 against Blake. Roddick just lost, so it is between Tsonga and Blake. Blake has a weakest serve, he is a ballbasher who can be dangerous cause takes the ball early on the rise and with such a pace that is either a nonreturnable one or a way long or wide, plus he is not one of the mentally strongest players. Tsonga on the other hand has great serve, has heavy CCs, he is extremely dangerous at the net (he is hard to pass), he can even play good defense from time to time and can hit a passing shot DTL on silly approach shots, but he is most of the time confused when the opponent steals a net from him. Plus he is not very consistent.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:08 PM   #142
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure about Blake. I don't even think he is in good form, but maybe that will change when he gets that far. Obviously the biggest problem about playing Blake is that he absolutely loves to rip the second serve return, and he was doing that with alarming frequency in their Masters Cup match in 2006. The other thing I noticed in that match was that Blake seemed to really enjoy hitting big shots on the run. It must be said that Blake was on fire that day though, and could not have played any better.

I agree that Davydenko hasn't been tested which is why I find it hard to judge really. Berdych never looked like he believed in winning as soon as he went a double break down, so Davydenko could have done whatever he wanted for the rest of the match really.

It's an interesting stage of the tournament, because I feel like any one of Davydenko, Nalbandian or Tsonga could win it. I'm not so convinced about Blake though.

Tsonga was extremely inconsistent today, and also maybe David could really pepper Tsonga's weaker backhand wing if they were to play against each other. Tsonga's backhand looks okay when he's hitting a passing shot, but not as dangerous when they're just rallying around. Then again, maybe Tsonga will constantly come to the net and dictate play, but if they were to play against each other, it will probably be just as simple as how many errors Tsonga makes, because his play has been so up and down this week.
krystlel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:09 PM   #143
country flag Joolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeretiC View Post
David has a losing H2H against both of them. 2:3 against Roddick and 0:1 against Blake. Roddick just lost, so it is between Tsonga and Blake. Blake has a weakest serve, he is a ballbasher who can be dangerous cause takes the ball early on the rise and with such a pace that is either a nonreturnable one or a way long or wide, plus he is not one of the mentally strongest players. Tsonga on the other hand has great serve, has heavy CCs, he is extremely dangerous at the net (he is hard to pass), he can even play good defense from time to time and can hit a passing shot DTL on silly approach shots, but he is most of the time confused when the opponent steals a net from him. Plus he is not very consistent.
Tsonga is also a little fragile, physically. And now he has played three 3-setters in a row. Add to that the nerves, if he were to make his first Masters final, and on home ground on top of it.
Blake has beaten David in their only match, but generally speaking, David does well against ballbashers. Another case of having to keep the rallies short and not give him any rhythm.

But still, it's Davydenko I'm worrying about most at the moment...
Old 10-31-2008, 10:50 PM   #144
country flag HeretiC

If David manages to keep his level of play like in this 2 days, none of the rest would be a real threat. But I wonder if he can play 2 more matches like that. I expect some drop down in form, just hope it is not going to be too much to lose a match. About that MC in 2006. Blake was on fire the whole tournament, those were his best matches ever (apart from that final against Federer).
Old 10-31-2008, 11:01 PM   #145
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute

David's return of serve has been so awesome these last two matches. Just amazing.

Yesterday against Murray all of his shots were working, even the dropshots and slice backhand was looking exceptionally good.
krystlel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:14 PM   #146
country flag freeandlonely

freeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond repute

All in all I still feel the most dangerous for Nalby, now, is Tsonga. But the most important factor is Nalby's body.
freeandlonely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:36 PM   #147
country flag Joolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystlel View Post
David's return of serve has been so awesome these last two matches. Just amazing.

Yesterday against Murray all of his shots were working, even the dropshots and slice backhand was looking exceptionally good.

His returns really were amazing. Not just the clean winners, but the consistency. Hardly made any errors.

I loved the drop-shots too. They were working beautifully. Which they don't always do. But this time, yes. And he played them at the perfect moments. His net play in general was impressive.
And I think he moved very well. No signs of any problems or fatigue.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:07 PM   #148
country flag Hola Mr. SK
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hola Mr. SK has a reputation beyond reputeHola Mr. SK has a reputation beyond reputeHola Mr. SK has a reputation beyond reputeHola Mr. SK has a reputation beyond reputeHola Mr. SK has a reputation beyond reputeHola Mr. SK has a reputation beyond reputeHola Mr. SK has a reputation beyond reputeHola Mr. SK has a reputation beyond reputeHola Mr. SK has a reputation beyond reputeHola Mr. SK has a reputation beyond reputeHola Mr. SK has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear Nalby's playing well.
Defend the title now,Dave
Hola Mr. SK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:09 PM   #149
country flag HeretiC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joolz View Post
His returns really were amazing. Not just the clean winners, but the consistency. Hardly made any errors.

I loved the drop-shots too. They were working beautifully. Which they don't always do. But this time, yes. And he played them at the perfect moments. His net play in general was impressive.
And I think he moved very well. No signs of any problems or fatigue.
Drop-shots He used to to force 3-4 unsuccessful ones in a row back in the time when he was getting clueless what gameplan to implement.

But, here we are again, I am a little bit nervous until I see how he will start and how will his game fairs against Denko's game today.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:17 PM   #150
country flag HeretiC

*2-0 8:0 in points. Could not wish for a better start. I just hope he won't get too comfortable and drop down his guard.