Mug Tennis - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-04-2009, 10:59 AM   #61
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mug Tennis

Hey, thanks for bumping this Laba. No doubt I'll choke some more this season and have plenty to rant about!
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2009, 06:46 AM   #62
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Tennis season starts soon here. There will be plenty of mug stories from me as I attempt a season full of Haasi backhands.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:24 PM   #63
country flag SaFed2005

SaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Finally some nice weather here in NYC. I started playing around a month ago while it was still a bit cold. I have been working out my calves and thighs like crazy over the winter and its the first time in 2 years where I feel I am back to my full speed. My footwork has been great. So automatically I have been hitting better than ever before. Serving well, volleys still need work but way better than it used to be.
Today I played one of the pushers at the park. Normally I don't mind playing pushers at all because I pretty much own them by being patient and mixing it up by hitting deep shots, short angled shots and coming in to volley every now and then. I hit with very heavy topspin on the forehand side but my bh is pretty flat. BH is extremely effective on hard courts but not so much on clay while forehand is very effective on clay. So I am pretty much cruising through the first set. Moving the pusher left and right, left and right, send a deep shot to push them back then hit a short angled forehand or dropshot to win the point. I just hit with more topspin whenever I play pushers and make sure to play consistent and not give them any points. If they want to win points they better earn it. I just try and keep the error count down because I know they have nothing to hurt me and I move really well. I win the first set 6-0 and I am cruising through the 2nd. It was like 4-1 when my elbow starts bothering me. I was serving and it was really bothering me while serving so I had to take some pace off the serve. Slowly my forehand starting going away. I was having problem taking a full swing on the ball on the forehand side. My forehands start sailing out constantly and the pusher sees this so he constantly pushes to my fh side. I cant seem to take full swings so I am not getting as much spin on the ball so they keep sailing and I am getting really frustrated. I lose the set in a tiebreak by constantly hitting the forehands out. 3rd set starts the guy is leading 4-0... I'm like wtf this is lame. My elbow is really bothering me at this point. When i serve and hit forehands it was really hurting but it didn't effect my bh at all. I have a 2 handed BH. I strt runnign around my forehands to try and pound bh winners any chance I get which works every now and then but sometimes the guy is literally sticking his racket out and the ball comes over to my side. Normally its an easy put away for me but I was playing with no fh pretty much so i keep over hitting them or hitting them too weak or into the net. So i start trying to use 2 handed forehands which is such an odd motions which I cant really seem to figure out. At this point I am hitting 2 handed FH slices and pushing back. I came back to tie it up and went in a tiebreak just by pushing. But its so difficult to hit 2 handed forehands. Half the time I think I am within reach of the ball but miss because I am using a 2 handed forehand and I don't actually have the reach that I think I have. This was a total mug match towards the end with just pushing back and fourth. At some point i was trying to drop shot lob drop shot lob. It worked for a bit until i started netting my drop shots constantly. Anyway I lose the 3rd set in a tiebreak like 10-8. I had no serve, no FH. I didn't know wtf I was doing. I still can't believe I lost to a pusher who just sticks his racket out and prays that shit shots land in on the other side. the guy got no form at all he just sticks the racket out and prays I swear. Since my knees are fully healed... now I have got elbow problems... Sucks. I will try to let my elbow rest for the next 2 weeks and get back on the court. I was really annoyed today by my elbow. I was playing so well so far for the last 3 weeks or so and now an injury. Hopefully I get my form back when I start playing again.
SaFed2005 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:58 AM   #64
country flag Machiavelli

Machiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond repute

My first league match on clay outdoors, a loss in the end, but I wasn't the favourite to win it anyway; I played against an in-form opponent (who has been hitting the courts every single day), with some good tactics and superb shot selection i was up *4-2 in the 1st set, but he stepped it up then, his bh down the line started to work like a swiss clock, he had me all over the court, my service game was not where it should be and there was no comin back, a 4/6,2/6 defeat; a promising 1st set nevertheless, hope to built on that...
Old 04-28-2009, 11:01 PM   #65

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

Time for an update.

The new season has been going well so far. I've switched from a club with mostly fast synthetic grass courts to one with slow hard, so it's been an interesting transition period, but so far my game is really suiting the courts.

I've had to add much more kick to my serve because the courts really don't take my slice serve well, which is annoying, because I feel my serve is so much more predictable now but at least I'm getting a high percentage in. I'm also living and dying by the topspin forehand, it's too risky hitting flat often on these slow courts and they take topspin pretty well but I reckon my moonballing tactics would annoy a phew around here *ahem* GlennMirnyi I think the main change in my game though has been how steady my rally backhand has become, I really feel I can hold my own against the big hitters in backhand to backhand rallies now, when before I'd inevitably have to hit the defensive slice and lose the initiative so it's pleasing progress. Saying all this though, these slow courts have really brought back the counterpunching tactics of my junior days and I rarely approach the net anymore so I don't know if that's a good thing...

Overall, mug factor relatively low for now (apart from shanking a few backhands now and then), but watch this space...
Old 04-28-2009, 11:04 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
My first league match on clay outdoors, a loss in the end, but I wasn't the favourite to win it anyway; I played against an in-form opponent (who has been hitting the courts every single day), with some good tactics and superb shot selection i was up *4-2 in the 1st set, but he stepped it up then, his bh down the line started to work like a swiss clock, he had me all over the court, my service game was not where it should be and there was no comin back, a 4/6,2/6 defeat; a promising 1st set nevertheless, hope to built on that...
Don't worry, definitely doesn't class as mug tennis I mean, if the guy stepped up his game that much then there's not much you can do about it really, so don't beat yourself up too much over it. Sounds like you played a great thinking game in that first set and that's the great way to play tennis, don't succumb to brainlessly bashing the ball at every opportunity...
Old 04-29-2009, 06:51 AM   #67
country flag Machiavelli

Machiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TidusZidane View Post
don't succumb to brainlessly bashing the ball at every opportunity...
Growing up on clay, i doubt you can develop yourself into a ballbasher, i was surprised with my fh, i was hitting it smoothly, i punished weak 2nd serves and short balls; if i just had the time to work on my bh, it is way to defensive, my slice is excellent, stays low and i can hit it deep but my one-hander is way too of and on, thats the result of too much sliceing and dropshoting (my greatest weapon apart from the serve) over the years.......
Old 04-29-2009, 08:44 PM   #68
Kip

Kip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond repute

Lost my 1st match of the year.
7-6(5) 7-5

I'm in a funky position. On one hand my improvement from my serve to my groundstrokes are quite noticeable and I couldn't be happier. Yet, on the other hand my mental game still needs work. I was up 4-2 in the 1st set, as well as 5-2 in the tb and 5-2 in the 2nd serving for the set at 5-3. It happens so often that I get a lead and then everything starts to fall to pieces. I'm not too disappointed with the first set because we both played very well. However, serving for the 2nd set at 5-3 my serve abandoned me. I couldn't hit a 1st serve to save my life!

Anyone have tips and things they do to focus when having a lead or closing out a set?
Kip is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:30 PM   #69
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute

Nice bump, just in time for an update from me

So I've started playing some higher level tournaments in preparation for the biggest one of my life I've got in July (about 10,000 times above my level).

Anyway, I've always thought of myself as quite an aggressive player, but I'm starting to come up against guys who hit with loads of topspin and just don't make errors. I've started to realise I've relied a lot in the past on my opponents making unforced errors. If someone plays a match against me and hits 0 winners but only 10 or so unforced errors they're 99.9% going to beat me. My problem is I'm finding it impossible to come up with a gameplan - I'm not consistent or patient enough to play them at their own game, and I find it impossible to hit winners on a regular basis, I'm not really good enough and will always. It makes it evenmore unlikely when their deep topspin shots are pushing me well behind the baseline. So I usually end up somewhere between the 2, and then berate myself afterwards for not sticking to one of the gameplans :retard:
adee-gee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:37 AM   #70
country flag El Legenda
Not a Registered User

El Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond repute

I lost to my pushing brother 6-7 4-6 today...I served for the first at *5-4 and *6-5 in the TB i was down **1-6 and lost 12-14 he pushes all day with a good serve...i go for everything with a big serve...
Old 04-30-2009, 12:56 AM   #71
country flag Ilovetheblues_86

Ilovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee-gee View Post

So I've started playing some higher level tournaments in preparation for the biggest one of my life I've got in July (about 10,000 times above my level).

Anyway, I've always thought of myself as quite an aggressive player, but I'm starting to come up against guys who hit with loads of topspin and just don't make errors. I've started to realise I've relied a lot in the past on my opponents making unforced errors. If someone plays a match against me and hits 0 winners but only 10 or so unforced errors they're 99.9% going to beat me. My problem is I'm finding it impossible to come up with a gameplan - I'm not consistent or patient enough to play them at their own game, and I find it impossible to hit winners on a regular basis, I'm not really good enough and will always. It makes it evenmore unlikely when their deep topspin shots are pushing me well behind the baseline. So I usually end up somewhere between the 2, and then berate myself afterwards for not sticking to one of the gameplans :retard:
If they use a lot of topspin why don´t you try to hit the ball when is high tring to punch it very fast down? Also try to hit more shorts but with lots of angle balls, try to move the topspin player to the front, bring him to the net and go to the net, that´s the best plan that I see If your are losing from behind, make the game less predictable and go to the net.

MAY THE SPIRIT OF KOSTAS PROTECT US
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:58 AM   #72
country flag Ilovetheblues_86

Ilovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip View Post
Lost my 1st match of the year.
7-6(5) 7-5

I'm in a funky position. On one hand my improvement from my serve to my groundstrokes are quite noticeable and I couldn't be happier. Yet, on the other hand my mental game still needs work. I was up 4-2 in the 1st set, as well as 5-2 in the tb and 5-2 in the 2nd serving for the set at 5-3. It happens so often that I get a lead and then everything starts to fall to pieces. I'm not too disappointed with the first set because we both played very well. However, serving for the 2nd set at 5-3 my serve abandoned me. I couldn't hit a 1st serve to save my life!

Anyone have tips and things they do to focus when having a lead or closing out a set?
Try to improve yourself so you have 5-1 and a room for one choke per set?
Actually I don´t know. Try to play like its not your serving for set game, and try to play for the good of the sport, not to win, it helps you win when you don´t think about winning, only about playing a good game.

MAY THE SPIRIT OF KOSTAS PROTECT US
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:04 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee-gee View Post

Sounds like I'd be your worst nightmare at the moment

Like the poster above says the best way to deal with heavy topspin is to take the ball on the rise. Alternatively you can stand further back and take a big swing which it sounds like you're doing, but it's very difficult to manouver your opponent out of position like that.

Best of luck with your tournament though. Just go for broke, and you never know, you could pull a few shocks, it definitely sounds like you could ruffle a few feathers with your attacking game
Old 04-30-2009, 10:42 PM   #74
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetheblues_86 View Post
If they use a lot of topspin why don´t you try to hit the ball when is high tring to punch it very fast down? Also try to hit more shorts but with lots of angle balls, try to move the topspin player to the front, bring him to the net and go to the net, that´s the best plan that I see If your are losing from behind, make the game less predictable and go to the net.
I know this is the best idea, but it's hard for me to put into practice. Because I don't generate that much power myself, I'm opening myself up if I step in and take it on the rise, I've pretty much gotta hit a winner or I'm in trouble. For some reason I feel much more comfortable backing off.

I actually read the game pretty well, if I'm watching someone else's match I'd be able to analyse/advice them very well what's happening. But I don't think much when I'm playing until after the match
Quote:
Originally Posted by TidusZidane View Post
Sounds like I'd be your worst nightmare at the moment

Like the poster above says the best way to deal with heavy topspin is to take the ball on the rise. Alternatively you can stand further back and take a big swing which it sounds like you're doing, but it's very difficult to manouver your opponent out of position like that.

Best of luck with your tournament though. Just go for broke, and you never know, you could pull a few shocks, it definitely sounds like you could ruffle a few feathers with your attacking game
more chance of Federer winning RG . I'll be happy just to win a few games.

I've just managed to arrange a hit with this guy ---> http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/3...earch=harfield it could be brutal, but at least it gives me some idea of what I'm up against (except even higher level probably). I'll be chuffed if I can take a game off him
adee-gee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:38 AM   #75
country flag SaFed2005

SaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetheblues_86 View Post
Try to improve yourself so you have 5-1 and a room for one choke per set?
Actually I don´t know. Try to play like its not your serving for set game, and try to play for the good of the sport, not to win, it helps you win when you don´t think about winning, only about playing a good game.
Yep just don't think about winning or losing. Think about the point and nothing else. Try to play your best every point no matter what the score. Learn from Nadal.
SaFed2005 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote