Mug Tennis - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-25-2008, 12:48 PM   #16
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mug Tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee-gee View Post
You're clearly a moonballer

I think that's fairly normal....I know I'm like that as well.

Good luck with the match today
Thanks for the good rep by the way Adam, I'd return it but I'm too tight on giving them out and it won't let me send you another

We'd have quite entertaining rallies with my muggy forehand and your muggy backhand
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2008, 02:09 PM   #17
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TidusZidane View Post
Thanks mate...I sucked again though! Even at mixed doubles. I threw my racquet and said I was going to retire at one point haha, I've really gone back to my tantrum-y ways

We won, so I guess I should be happy with that. If anything I've become much more solid on my backhand side and serving a high percentage so at least I'm compensating for the muggy forehand. Things can only go up from here.
Has your backhand always been stronger than your forehand? Rather unusual.

I'm impressed you can be so fired up for a mixed doubles match
Quote:
We'd have quite entertaining rallies with my muggy forehand and your muggy backhand
we'll make a pact that I'll hit to your backhand and you hit to my forehand. It will resemble a Nadal-Federer rally. Equally high quality too
adee-gee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:49 PM   #18

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Has your backhand always been stronger than your forehand? Rather unusual.
Nah, my forehand is my stronger side which is why I've had a frustrating time lately. It's really turned into a mug pusher forehand at best when before I used to be able to dictate rallies with it. I'm still getting pace on the inside out forehand though thankfully, but it's kinda predictable when your opponent knows that's your only big weapon.

Quote:
I'm impressed you can be so fired up for a mixed doubles match
Haha, yeah, desperate times and all that. We were playing an old couple, probably in their 50s and only just scraped the set 7-5 making a ton of unforced errors. It was losing my serve to pusher returners which tipped me over the edge

Quote:
we'll make a pact that I'll hit to your backhand and you hit to my forehand. It will resemble a Nadal-Federer rally. Equally high quality too
I don't like the sound of being Federer in that match-up, but ok, so long as we don't have to play on clay
Old 10-27-2008, 04:58 PM   #19
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You're clearly a moonballer

I think that's fairly normal....I know I'm like that as well.

Good luck with the match today
Answer the question, princess! You're a ballet tennis player!!!!!!!!

I'm not a moonballer. In fact, sometimes I wish I didn't hit so flat.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:47 PM   #20
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Haha, yeah, desperate times and all that. We were playing an old couple, probably in their 50s and only just scraped the set 7-5 making a ton of unforced errors. It was losing my serve to pusher returners which tipped me over the edge
I played a doubles match the other week (I never play doubles, only did it to play with my friend in a tournament)....the 2 guys we played were the biggest mug pushers I've ever played against. I can totally understand your frustrations, we somehow lost 6-3 6-3 to them, they must've hit about 2 winners all match, it was embarrassing. Stick me on a singles court with them and they'd do well to take a game, but for some reason pushing works against me in doubles
Quote:
I don't like the sound of being Federer in that match-up, but ok, so long as we don't have to play on clay
Don't worry, you won't see me playing on clay I've only played on it a couple of times in my life and hated every minute of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
Answer the question, princess! You're a ballet tennis player!!!!!!!!
I wish I was my technique isn't pretty enough to be ballet style. Because I grew up just playing naturally without coaching, I have far too many flaws in my style to have people enjoy watching me
Quote:
I'm not a moonballer. In fact, sometimes I wish I didn't hit so flat.
I'll need a video before I believe this
Old 10-28-2008, 08:04 PM   #21
country flag In The Zone

In The Zone has a reputation beyond reputeIn The Zone has a reputation beyond reputeIn The Zone has a reputation beyond reputeIn The Zone has a reputation beyond reputeIn The Zone has a reputation beyond reputeIn The Zone has a reputation beyond reputeIn The Zone has a reputation beyond reputeIn The Zone has a reputation beyond reputeIn The Zone has a reputation beyond reputeIn The Zone has a reputation beyond reputeIn The Zone has a reputation beyond repute

ITZ > adee-gee. 6-0, 6-0.
In The Zone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:32 AM   #22
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

Get your ass to London and we'll find out. I'll have you on a quick indoor court
Old 10-29-2008, 08:27 AM   #23
country flag Machiavelli

Machiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond repute

I had a horryfing experience a couple of days ago, a MAthieu like performance, for the second time in my amateur career i lost a match I should have easily won, it was a local league match, we play on clay indoors; I was up 6/2,*5/1 against a solid opponent who is always tricky for me, he plays typical mug claycourt tennis, I on the other hand rely on my serve, solid forhand and volleying and bekhand slice, i had 5 mazch points, at 6/2,5/4* i had 40-15* and I choked it away, I have done this against him once prior to this a few years ago, but since then i fairly easy closed out matches, untill the other day;

I lost the second set 5/7, was down 0-3* in the third, came back to *3-3, at *30-30 missed two easy volleys and then lost it totally, he was just moonballing me from one side to the other and I could not hit a proper forhand;

The guys at the club will have a laugh at me the following weeks...

After match which lasted for 2h and 30 min, i was totally wasted, awful experience...
Old 10-29-2008, 09:39 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
I had a horryfing experience a couple of days ago, a MAthieu like performance, for the second time in my amateur career i lost a match I should have easily won, it was a local league match, we play on clay indoors; I was up 6/2,*5/1 against a solid opponent who is always tricky for me, he plays typical mug claycourt tennis, I on the other hand rely on my serve, solid forhand and volleying and bekhand slice, i had 5 mazch points, at 6/2,5/4* i had 40-15* and I choked it away, I have done this against him once prior to this a few years ago, but since then i fairly easy closed out matches, untill the other day;

I lost the second set 5/7, was down 0-3* in the third, came back to *3-3, at *30-30 missed two easy volleys and then lost it totally, he was just moonballing me from one side to the other and I could not hit a proper forhand;

The guys at the club will have a laugh at me the following weeks...

After match which lasted for 2h and 30 min, i was totally wasted, awful experience...
Wow, that's a major choke!

Seriously though, if you usually beat this guy every time it's probably nice for him to get a win over you and to other people at your club they will know you're the better player and he just got lucky this time with some unsavoury tactics. Now you'll get his hopes up he can beat you again, so it's just down to you to crush him in the next encounter
Old 10-29-2008, 04:14 PM   #25
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

Very bad from me today

I played a great first set, opted to receive and the first 11 games went with serve, I was serving like a god but returning like Bolelli. In general rallies, I was chuffed with my groundstrokes, backhand was the best it has been since I changed my grip and my forehand was great, probably hit about 12 or 13 winners from it. Then at *5-6 I get broken from *40-15 up, double faulting on set point down.

Usually I fight like mad whatever happens, it's one of my best strengths on court. But I totally gave up in the 2nd set, terrible attitude. Deservedly lost it 6-1. Extremely disappointed with myself.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:57 PM   #26
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Get your ass to London and we'll find out. I'll have you on a quick indoor court
I'll only play against you on clay.

Don't you love Nadull? Then you must love clay?

Quote:
Very bad from me today

I played a great first set, opted to receive and the first 11 games went with serve, I was serving like a god but returning like Bolelli. In general rallies, I was chuffed with my groundstrokes, backhand was the best it has been since I changed my grip and my forehand was great, probably hit about 12 or 13 winners from it. Then at *5-6 I get broken from *40-15 up, double faulting on set point down.

Usually I fight like mad whatever happens, it's one of my best strengths on court. But I totally gave up in the 2nd set, terrible attitude. Deservedly lost it 6-1. Extremely disappointed with myself.
That's Stepanek-like, eh?

I think there's nothing worse than losing serve from 40-15 up, when you're serving well. I rarely recover after that.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:50 AM   #27
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

Quote:
I'll only play against you on clay.

Don't you love Nadull? Then you must love clay?
Roddick's movement on clay >>>>>>>>>>> My movement on clay.

We don't get clay courts here, only a few clubs have them. I've played a couple of times on it, but I'm not a fan. My point construction isn't the greatest, I'm far too impatient. We'll have one match on clay and one on a quick surface
Quote:
That's Stepanek-like, eh?

I think there's nothing worse than losing serve from 40-15 up, when you're serving well. I rarely recover after that.
Well, losing it from 40-0 up is worse but yeah I know what you mean
Old 10-30-2008, 03:16 PM   #28
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Quote:
Roddick's movement on clay >>>>>>>>>>> My movement on clay.

We don't get clay courts here, only a few clubs have them. I've played a couple of times on it, but I'm not a fan. My point construction isn't the greatest, I'm far too impatient. We'll have one match on clay and one on a quick surface

Well, losing it from 40-0 up is worse but yeah I know what you mean
I've never lost serve from 40-0 up... I thought that's almost impossible... unless you serve 5 DFs, that is.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:52 AM   #29
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

Quote:
I've never lost serve from 40-0 up... I thought that's almost impossible... unless you serve 5 DFs, that is.
That's because you play against mug Brazilian returners
Old 10-31-2008, 04:00 PM   #30
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Quote:
That's because you play against mug Brazilian returners
I wouldn't call junior players that train everyday clowns.

Thing is: it's kinda hard for me to get to 40-0s, so when I do, I hold.