David enters the land of Lindt. Can he tune his game to Swiss precision in Basel? - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-25-2008, 02:18 PM   #121
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: David enters the land of Lindt. Can he tune his game to Swiss precision in Basel?

That short angled slice backhand was very awesome.
krystlel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2008, 02:18 PM   #122
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

sigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: David enters the land of Lindt. Can he tune his game to Swiss precision in Basel?

Try to break here for the match!!!

Juan serving

15-0
15-15...come on, David!!!
30-15
40-15....guess David will have to serve it out!!
40-30...take him to deuce!!!
Oh well....5-4...David will serve for it!!
Old 10-25-2008, 02:19 PM   #123
country flag HeretiC

HeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond repute

Just one more service game.
HeretiC is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:24 PM   #124
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

sigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond repute

David to serve for a place in the final. He's at 76% on first serves, and for him, that's good. Hope he can hold his nerves here.

0-15...come on, David!!!
15-15....good boy!!
30-15...two more points!!!
30-30 Please get to MP!!! Right now!!!
30-40...NO!!! Save this!!!
Deuce...good job...now get the AD!!!
AD David....match point!!!
YESSSS....David wins 6-4 6-4.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:24 PM   #125
country flag HeretiC

HeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond repute

Old 10-25-2008, 02:28 PM   #126
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute

Well it is certainly surprising to see him into the final given how he has played overall this week.

Today it was mainly about the good serving. He won a lot of points with the first serve and the follow-up shot was very good. He did play especially well for about half of the first set though which gave him the decisive advantage. Del Potro looked to be struggling a bit with his movement, so David was able to keep the points relatively short. There were quite a few errors from both players actually, unforced error statistics were about the same for both players but David's groundstrokes were more penetrating and accurate.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:38 PM   #127
country flag crazy_nanine

crazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond repute

Great win...I think he played very well today, and I have to say this: 86% first serve % in the first set that's just Yes the serve was the weapon today!!! and that's really surprising for someone who's been following David for long
And never failing to add the drama with that BP when he was serving for the match

It's bad that Del Potro was in pain though

Wish him the best in the final tomorrow
crazy_nanine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:38 PM   #128
country flag Pepi.
Ajmo Marin!

Pepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond repute

great!!!
well done david!

Quote:
Q. Why are you playing such good tennis?

MARIN CILIC: 'Cause I'm a good player (smiling).
Marin Cilic & Jo Wilfried Tsonga
Gasquet Dimitrov Gulbis
Pepi. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:45 PM   #129
country flag HeretiC

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystlel View Post
That short angled slice backhand was very awesome.
It was a master piece and the dropshotitis illness returned at last BP at least it turned out quite well.

This is what a wrote on GM:

Despite the relative close scoreline, this was a schooling, Nalbandian was mixing things, used a slice a lot, sneaking at the net on smart approach shots, never let Del Pony got into aggressive rhythm like he did in Madrid. It was a classical brain vs muscles match. Del Potro had some problems with a blister on his big toe, but his movement was not affected (as long as I could have seen) and he was hitting the ball extremely hard and accurate. Good match.

I think I am little biased toward the blister not affecting the movement but the most errors Del Potro did were not from not reaching the ball or from running FHs or BH, they came from ground-strokes because he was going for more pace. I think he got a little bit overconfident after last week win and wanted to repeat the same match. Unfortunately for him David did not played with the same game-plan.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:49 PM   #130
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute

In accord with natural law obviously.
Getta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:52 PM   #131
country flag gooner88

gooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the running commentary guys.
Good to see Nalbo in another final.
gooner88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:54 PM   #132
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeretiC View Post
Staying in Top 10 will most probably require at least a final in Paris or a SF in Paris and a final in Basel .
He has the final in Basel, so now the semis in Paris? We'll see....
Old 10-25-2008, 03:24 PM   #133
country flag HeretiC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl91 View Post
He has the final in Basel, so now the semis in Paris? We'll see....
Unfortunately , with the Simon and Del Potro progressing in past 2 weeks now SF ain't do the trick Not even a win in Basel and a SF will be enough. He needs at least a final in Paris and Simon losing in R32 (and of course if Blake or Wawrinka or Tsonga don't go deep).
Old 10-25-2008, 03:33 PM   #134
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

Quote:
Unfortunately , with the Simon and Del Potro progressing in past 2 weeks now SF ain't do the trick Not even a win in Basel and a SF will be enough. He needs at least a final in Paris and Simon losing in R32 (and of course if Blake or Wawrinka or Tsonga don't go deep).
If he does not do well in Paris, at least we won't see a massive rankings drop the likes of early last year.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:59 PM   #135
country flag krystlel

Quote:
It was a master piece and the dropshotitis illness returned at last BP at least it turned out quite well.

This is what a wrote on GM:

Despite the relative close scoreline, this was a schooling, Nalbandian was mixing things, used a slice a lot, sneaking at the net on smart approach shots, never let Del Pony got into aggressive rhythm like he did in Madrid. It was a classical brain vs muscles match. Del Potro had some problems with a blister on his big toe, but his movement was not affected (as long as I could have seen) and he was hitting the ball extremely hard and accurate. Good match.

I think I am little biased toward the blister not affecting the movement but the most errors Del Potro did were not from not reaching the ball or from running FHs or BH, they came from ground-strokes because he was going for more pace. I think he got a little bit overconfident after last week win and wanted to repeat the same match. Unfortunately for him David did not played with the same game-plan.
I agree that he did a good job of taking Del Potro out of his rhythm, and I think this had a lot to do with how well he was hitting the first few shots in each point to take control. Better tactics this time, playing more aggressively and closer to the baseline (looking to move forward into his shots often) although obviously better serving allowed him to do this. It was like watching a completely different match to Madrid. Watching it, you'd be wondering how it was that Del Potro was able to dominate play in that match and constantly get into that nice ball bashing rhythm.

Definitely I think the first set was more decided by David's good play rather than Del Potro's, though maybe Del Potro was having a bit of trouble with his movement in the second, not to mention that it might have affected him mentally as well with the shot selection.