Cuevas/Horna qualify for Shanghai - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-20-2008, 06:09 AM   #1
country flag alfonsojose
CRY BA**

alfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Cuevas/Horna qualify for Shanghai

So happy for them, but have they played doubles together since RG?

Drooling after Schuettler, Bolelli, Volandri, Starace (short haired version), ToJo, Tursunov, Alves, Davydenko, Djokovic, Petzschner, Ferrero, Simon, Qureshi
alfonsojose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2008, 06:17 AM   #2
country flag Snoo Foo

Snoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cuevas/Horna qualify for Shanghai

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfonsojose View Post
They played at Washington and lost in 1R to... gicquel & lindstedt? Played USO and lost R2 to ... mmm... de Voest and somebody...

so. We gonna see.
Snoo Foo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:24 AM   #3
country flag Blarghman

Blarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfonsojose View Post
Why are these guys just qualifying now? If they are qualified as 'Roland Garros Champions', as the Masters Cup site says, why weren't they guaranteed a spot all along? Is it just that now that they are mathematically eliminated from finishing in the top 8, the ATP ensures they have a spot?

In any case, I hope they draw Dan and Nenad, they should be a fairly easy win for the others in their group, given the Shanghai surface and the indoors factor.
Blarghman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:28 AM   #4
country flag Arkulari
Faithful Txurigorri

Arkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Cuevas/Horna qualify for Shanghai

mmm, well I guess it's ok that all GS winners should go to Shanghai, even if Lucho and Pablo aren't much good outside of clay
I just hope they don't pull a Gaudio at the TMC

Arkulari is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:30 AM   #5
country flag Jelena

Jelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarghman View Post
Why are these guys just qualifying now? If they are qualified as 'Roland Garros Champions', as the Masters Cup site says, why weren't they guaranteed a spot all along? Is it just that now that they are mathematically eliminated from finishing in the top 8, the ATP ensures they have a spot?

In any case, I hope they draw Dan and Nenad, they should be a fairly easy win for the others in their group, given the Shanghai surface and the indoors factor.
They have been qualified as Roland Garros Champions since RG. That rule applies for every Grand-Slam-winner of a year, no matter if Singles or Doubles, in case they don't qualify anyway by being within the Top 8 of a year.

Bolo Zenden, Bobo Gille, Zlatan
Jelena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:36 AM   #6
country flag Blarghman

Blarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
They have been qualified as Roland Garros Champions since RG. That rule applies for every Grand-Slam-winner of a year, no matter if Singles or Doubles, in case they don't qualify anyway by being within the Top 8 of a year.
Yeah, that makes sense, I was just wondering why they would 'announce' they've qualified if everybody already knew they were going to go. The Master Cup website says "two more teams have qualified", but the Cuevas/Horna have not played together in more than a month.

I assume that it's because they are now mathematically out, but it's not as if this was a surprise, and in fact they reached 'qualified' status from the ATP by falling out of contention for the top 8. My problem isn't with the fact that they're in, just that ATP tried to sort of 'hide' the fact they were in hoping they'd get into the top 8, and when it is impossible, they suddenly 'announce' qualification as if it is news. Why not just have them as 'qualified' from June on?
Old 10-20-2008, 06:38 AM   #7
country flag Arkulari
Faithful Txurigorri

Arkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond repute

it's the ATP, things have been going downhill in there lately

Old 10-20-2008, 06:45 AM   #8
country flag Jelena

Jelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond repute

The same rule would have worked already for Gaston Gaudio in 2004 FedEx. It's nothing of "lately". I think too it's because they are literally out now.

Bolo Zenden, Bobo Gille, Zlatan
Jelena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:48 AM   #9
country flag Arkulari
Faithful Txurigorri

no, I meant, do you remember Gaudio at the 2004 TMC? he qualified 'cuz he won RG, but lost ALL the matches
that's why I say I hope Lucho and Pablo don't do a Gaudio at the TMC
I think they have to start playing together even if it is a MM tournament, just to get warmed-up a bit for TMC

Old 10-20-2008, 06:51 AM   #10
country flag alfonsojose
CRY BA**

alfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute

Winning RG wasn't enough. They had to stay in the top 20 and they did it. Like Gaudio in 2004 or Goran in 2001. A major winner gets to TMC if he stays in top 20. They only were safe this week i gues

Drooling after Schuettler, Bolelli, Volandri, Starace (short haired version), ToJo, Tursunov, Alves, Davydenko, Djokovic, Petzschner, Ferrero, Simon, Qureshi
Old 10-20-2008, 06:51 AM   #11
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Gaudio won matches at TMC 2005, there are plenty of players that haven't won a match at TMC.

All Cuevas/Horna needed was an established team to win the US Open, then their spot was guaranteed.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:59 AM   #12
country flag Blarghman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsFedex View Post
I think they have to start playing together even if it is a MM tournament, just to get warmed-up a bit for TMC
Both are playing at a challenger in Buenos Aires this week, but neither is playing doubles at all, let alone with each other. They both played singles last week in Montevideo, but did not play doubles together. They are both entered in Cali for next week, perhaps then one will suggest to the other "Hey, wanna try and play together so we don't lose every match embarrassingly in Shanghai."

I wonder how much money you make for showing up at Shanghai and losing all doubles matches. They might figure they're not going to win, so they'll just show up for the prize money.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:40 AM   #13
country flag Arkulari
Faithful Txurigorri

Talking Re: Cuevas/Horna qualify for Shanghai

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK is Innocent View Post
Gaudio won matches at TMC 2005, there are plenty of players that haven't won a match at TMC.

All Cuevas/Horna needed was an established team to win the US Open, then their spot was guaranteed.
I'm talking about the 2004 TMC, if I'm not mistaken, Gaudio lost against Federer, Moyá and Hewitt

I hope that doesn't happen to Lucho and Pablo

Old 10-20-2008, 11:42 AM   #14
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

They're gonna be donkey-punched in the TMC.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:24 PM   #15
country flag alfonsojose
CRY BA**

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
They're gonna be donkey-punched in the TMC.