Defending champion David waves the red flag - will he be toppled in Madrid? - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-16-2008, 01:35 PM   #46
country flag freeandlonely

freeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Defending champion David waves the red flag - will he be toppled in Madrid?

Good luck next round, Del Pony.

ALWAYS BE TRUE TO YOURSELF
freeandlonely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2008, 01:38 PM   #47
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Defending champion David waves the red flag - will he be toppled in Madrid?

David lost 6-4 6-2. Unfortunately Del Potro was too good, too powerful and consistent and controlling the majority of the baseline rallies, taking away David's strength in dictating rallies from the baseline. He was very good in the clutch points as well. David was inconsistent, but I would say that some of the errors (especially the poor serving) were forced because Del Potro kept putting him under consistent pressure. It would have helped a lot to ease the pressure by getting off to a better start though, he was really poor in the first three games.

Then he started to hit some great shots now and then, but nowhere near consistently enough. Quite frustratingly after Nalbandian seemed to find his game, he got off to another bad start going down an early break. In the second set, he was winning the majority of points on Del Potro's second serve, and almost none whatsoever on the first. He had a break point at 2-3 to get back into it, then Del Potro kicks a second serve way up high to win the point, and after that David lost a lot of belief and tamely gave up his serve the following game.

Last edited by krystlel : 10-16-2008 at 01:45 PM.
krystlel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:56 PM   #48
country flag crazy_nanine

crazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Defending champion David waves the red flag - will he be toppled in Madrid?

I believe David didn't play that good today, lots of unforced errors and not just on the forehand side but also on the backhand (if I wasn't wrong, I think the errors on the BH were even more!!)

Pretty expected reslt, for me at least, because although David just won a tournament last week and played relatively well against berdych yesterday, I believe he's still not at his best and he feels it and it affects his confidence in his shots. On the other hand Del Potro is at his best right now, his confidence is really high and he's definitely fitter than David.

Best of luck to David in the next tournament, and to Del Potro in the next round (for the sake of the davis cup...and also del potro deserves it, he's a nice player)

And to look at the bright side of it...David won a tournament last week and gained some points so he didn't lose as much points after all, and also he's still to play Basel (right?) and Paris
crazy_nanine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:13 PM   #49
country flag HeretiC

HeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond repute

I am not much in the mood for long essays, the fact is that better player of the day won. David was solid, he did fought and wanted to win, just Del Potro was too good. I can only complain on awful second serve. It could have gone to a different direction if those 2 loose service games at the opening of each set did not happened. I just hope that this will not hurt his confidence. I don't think he will push himself to much in Paris, meaning that he will be definitely out of Top 10 at the end of 2008.
HeretiC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:15 PM   #50
country flag Pepi.
Ajmo Marin!

Pepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond repute

oh david
too bad

no words

Quote:
Q. Why are you playing such good tennis?

MARIN CILIC: 'Cause I'm a good player (smiling).
Marin Cilic & Jo Wilfried Tsonga
Gasquet Dimitrov Gulbis
Pepi. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:19 PM   #51
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_nanine View Post
I believe David didn't play that good today, lots of unforced errors and not just on the forehand side but also on the backhand (if I wasn't wrong, I think the errors on the BH were even more!!)

Pretty expected reslt, for me at least, because although David just won a tournament last week and played relatively well against berdych yesterday, I believe he's still not at his best and he feels it and it affects his confidence in his shots. On the other hand Del Potro is at his best right now, his confidence is really high and he's definitely fitter than David.

Best of luck to David in the next tournament, and to Del Potro in the next round (for the sake of the davis cup...and also del potro deserves it, he's a nice player)

And to look at the bright side of it...David won a tournament last week and gained some points so he didn't lose as much points after all, and also he's still to play Basel (right?) and Paris
Sure? I felt like there were more forehand errors.

I don't really feel anything about this loss, it was an average match, not much different to what I'm used to seeing. I'm much more surprised when he plays well, and at least that Berdych match was great to watch. I think a post that Henry Chinaski made in GM is a good point, that if he serves well, then he plays a lot better (and subsequently with more confidence). Strangely he looked to have lost belief pretty quickly, it was only really whenever Del Potro served a second serve that he felt he had a chance.

Given the Berdych match, I was surprised with how easily David seemed to get pushed behind the baseline. I thought he would have been able to deal with the pace better and hold his ground more in the rallies which would have put him into a better position to be more of a threat, although obviously Del Potro was doing a better job than Berdych of moving the ball further outside of the court.
krystlel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:03 PM   #52
country flag crazy_nanine

crazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystlel View Post
Sure? I felt like there were more forehand errors.

I don't really feel anything about this loss, it was an average match, not much different to what I'm used to seeing. I'm much more surprised when he plays well, and at least that Berdych match was great to watch. I think a post that Henry Chinaski made in GM is a good point, that if he serves well, then he plays a lot better (and subsequently with more confidence). Strangely he looked to have lost belief pretty quickly, it was only really whenever Del Potro served a second serve that he felt he had a chance.

Given the Berdych match, I was surprised with how easily David seemed to get pushed behind the baseline. I thought he would have been able to deal with the pace better and hold his ground more in the rallies which would have put him into a better position to be more of a threat, although obviously Del Potro was doing a better job than Berdych of moving the ball further outside of the court.
No, actually I'm not...it's just that there were lots of unforced errors on the BH today, more than he usually does on that side, and he did some nice winners off the FH. That's, may be, what gave me the impression that his FH was better today, or should I say his BH was worse!!
crazy_nanine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:29 PM   #53
country flag HeretiC

HeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond repute

There were more FH UEs, as always. Most of the errors on BH side were forced ones.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:12 PM   #54
country flag Viken01

Viken01 has a reputation beyond reputeViken01 has a reputation beyond reputeViken01 has a reputation beyond reputeViken01 has a reputation beyond reputeViken01 has a reputation beyond reputeViken01 has a reputation beyond reputeViken01 has a reputation beyond reputeViken01 has a reputation beyond reputeViken01 has a reputation beyond reputeViken01 has a reputation beyond reputeViken01 has a reputation beyond repute

from what I saw his BH was good today but his FH was not on fire, making too much errors. But he didn't play that bad in the 1st set, I think it was a good match. I hope he can do better next week and most important, for TMS Paris
Old 10-17-2008, 08:54 AM   #55
country flag HeretiC

Even FH was not that bad, far less errors comparing to rest of the season, plus he had much more sensation winners with FH CC. But that 2 nd serve was just Reminded me of RG against Chardy when he was ripping it every time, especially in the last 2 sets. Del Potro did not made that many return service winners , but unfortunately he was able to put David on back foot right from the start and boss him around.