Defending champion David waves the red flag - will he be toppled in Madrid? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-15-2008, 01:44 PM   #31
country flag freeandlonely

freeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Defending champion David waves the red flag - will he be toppled in Madrid?

Thx Heretic.
Here is the number.

Nalbandian Berdych
1st serve % 64% 62%
Aces 9 6
Double Fault 2 1
1st serve won 77% 61%
2nd serve won 56% 45%
Winners 32 23
Unforced errors 34 48

ALWAYS BE TRUE TO YOURSELF
freeandlonely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2008, 01:49 PM   #32
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Defending champion David waves the red flag - will he be toppled in Madrid?

That was a really enjoyable match, probably one of my favourites of this year that he has played. It featured both some really good tennis as well as good fighting spirit and determination (on David's end). Both players were a little bit up and down, as could be expected, but there were a lot of spectacular shots from both sides.

David was on fire for much of the first set and third sets, and in the second set he seemed so determined to win it, almost that in that 6-5 game he was just rushing on his shots a little bit. Of course, it was that very poor opening game of the second set that cost him most, although Berdych seemed the better player for the first half of that set, then as soon as he stopped getting free points on his serve, it was a much different match again and David looked like he had every chance of getting back into it. Had a few missed opportunities in the 4-3 game as well to break back (0-40) where he got into rallies in at least three of the 4 BPs, although he didn't play the points terribly. Berdych was just too good for the majority of the second set TB.

Some of David's returns in this match were just superb. The last couple of games of the third set were brilliant.
krystlel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:37 PM   #33
country flag HeretiC

HeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond repute

I was so scared of this match and I am so glad that David proved me wrong on every account. He was determined to win this no matter what, even when he was down a break he fought for every point, he did not gave up on 2-5 in the TB and he almost made it. He looked pissed off that he did not finished this in straights and came up really firing in the third. Berdych did not even stood a chance. Scoreline would have been even more devastating if only Tomas did not serve so good as he did (first serve). Del Potro next. It will be an interesting match, but I think David is a bad match up for him, he doesn't use angles and he is very susceptible to them, plus he had too many matches lately and his form is kinda on a way down. The problem is that Nalby has a soft spot for the kid and he even might tank the match (I hope not). Juan need the points to reach Shangai and I don't think that David would play there even if he reaches the 8th spot in the race (only a week from DC final).
HeretiC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:07 PM   #34
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute

He obviously won't tank the match. Both players might be lacking in intensity just a bit but that applies to both, so it doesn't really matter. It's more likely that Del Potro shows just a bit too much respect for Nalbandian which is what happened this time last year, but I think with his newfound confidence, that won't happen this time. It's time for David to put a dent in Del Potro's chances to qualify for the TMC so that Del Potro can prepare better for the Davis Cup final.

Last edited by krystlel : 10-15-2008 at 04:15 PM.
krystlel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:16 PM   #35
country flag LeChuck

LeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond repute

Well done to David for what sounds like an impressive performance against an in-form opponent who is very dangerous under a roof with the wind-element being a prevalent factor. I wasn't able to watch the match today (and I also won't be able to watch David in action against Del Potro tomorrow as I'll be snowed under with classes), so I'm very grateful to you guys for providing such insightful match reports.
LeChuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:09 PM   #36
country flag HeretiC

HeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond repute

Bad start. Broken in the opening game. Del Potro hit amazing BH DTL from the back foot. 0-1*
Old 10-16-2008, 12:14 PM   #37
country flag HeretiC

*0-2 - If David steps up and doesn't alow Juan to escape I can see him breaking his serve (if he doesnt have too high percentage)
Old 10-16-2008, 12:17 PM   #38
country flag HeretiC

Del Potro is very confident and he is starting to be agressive and moving David around. Second break.
0-3* This set is practicly gone.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:24 PM   #39
country flag HeretiC

1 break back *1-3 with a couple of beautiful control shots, FH CC angles, lob
Old 10-16-2008, 12:28 PM   #40
country flag HeretiC

Finally a hold 2:3* but not without problems, from 40:0 to Deuce. Del Pony hit inside-outside FH winner 161 kph.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:35 PM   #41
country flag HeretiC

*2-4 Del Potro was totally bossing David from the base line. Too powerful too accurate.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:37 PM   #42
country flag HeretiC

Easy hold 3-4*.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #43
country flag HeretiC

0:15 return BH DTL winner
15:15 forced error
30:15 an ace
40:15 service winner
40:30 long FH UE
game Del potro with an ace *3-5
Old 10-16-2008, 12:46 PM   #44
country flag HeretiC

Hold, but again after deuce with some problems
4-5*
Old 10-16-2008, 12:53 PM   #45
country flag HeretiC

David has to break here to stay in the set.
15:0 service winner
15:15 BH CC winner
30:15 ace
40:15 2 set points for del potro, not good
amazing point but ended badly for David first set Del Potro 6-4
I hope David will step up in next set. Good thing is that he is definitely trying and fighting, bad thing is that Del Potro is playing really great.
I am out for now, hoping to be back with good news at the end of the match.