If you win the coin toss - do you serve or receive first? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-29-2008, 03:01 PM   #1
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute
Default If you win the coin toss - do you serve or receive first?

Previously, I've always prefered to serve first. I guess I've just taken after the pros. I also find one break at 3-0* a lot more comfortable than one break at *2-1. I've got a fairly strong serve for the level I play at, so if we go on serve I really don't like having to serve to stay in a set.

I'm reading Winning Ugly atm though, and BG makes some pretty strong points about receiving first....which do you do?
adee-gee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2008, 03:40 PM   #2
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you win the coin toss - do you serve or receive first?

I used to always serve first, but the past few months I've elected to receive and I've been winning a lot more matches so it must be working.

I think its good to loosen the shoulder a bit more before you serve and get more of a feel for the court, and of course there's always the possibility your opponent might come out tight as a drum and give you a couple of double faults or easy second serves for you to take advantage of.

Apart from the psychological advantage in the scoring and never being behind if it goes on serve, I can't see much advantage to serving first anymore. Perhaps I can understand if you have a particularly big serve it's probably a good nerve settler to get straight out there and hit a few bombs, intimidating the opponent in the meantime.

There's probably very little in it though - to each their own.
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:29 PM   #3
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

I'll give the receiving first a go
adee-gee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:07 AM   #4
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Always receive first if I can.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:24 AM   #5
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

yeah... at club level i think receiving first is a good idea... serves can often be weaker, and breaking someone early can often be the undoing of a player... especially if they lack composure by placing an over-inflated importance on holding... i went through a stage ages ago of letting my opposition choose what they wanted to do if i won the toss... just to throw a spanner in the works and break the norm... hahaha...

laver used to ask to receive religiously to try to demoralise the opposition early...

personally i serve first... i like the idea of receiving at 4-3 and 5-4 up... if you have ever heard fred stolle commentate, you know he is ultra-big on winning the seventh game of a tight match, and yeah, i like to be serving in this game especially...
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:31 AM   #6
country flag 10K Futures Qualifier
Athletic DNA

10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute

I am a junior and I prefer to serve first. My first serve averages at about 80 m.p.h. and the second about 75 m.p.h. I think that slowing down a second serve is terrible, because if you push it then it will get slammed right in your face. But for me serving firt is better, you set the pace.
10K Futures Qualifier is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:07 PM   #7
country flag Angle Queen
Mom 2 2 Beauties

Angle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond repute

In general, I like to receive first...particularly if I don't know my opponent (at all) or know they don't have a good serve (which is seldom in the womens game).

If, on the other hand, I've had the chance to "warm-up" before the "warm-up" (with, say, a teammate before the others arrive)...and I'm "feelin' it" on the serve...I'll serve first. I'd say this happens less than 10% of the time.