Indoor season 2008 - Page 34 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-12-2008, 12:31 AM   #496
country flag Tutu

Tutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indoor season 2008

You can tell that Roddick's not exactly a thinker on court because the days when Gilles main aim was to extend rallies as long as possible are long gone.

So pised that I won't get to see him tomorrow but good luck. Allez! I will be checking the scores from time to time at school.

WTA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ATP
Tutu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2008, 01:54 AM   #497
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute

I have never, ever seen Roddick go to a "plan B." Unless you count slicing backhands when he's getting majorly outplayed from the baseline. But since that's what he always does, I'm not sure you can consider it a change of tactics.

He only has one gameplan, hit big serves and try to hit early winners with the forehand. If it works, he has a good chance. If it doesn't, his opponent makes him look like a futures player.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:32 AM   #498
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Tulasne about today's match in L'Equipe:
Quote:
« ILS ONT tous les deux un jeu assez similaire. Ils couvrent très bien leur terrain, font peu de fautes et ce sont des contreurs naturels. Andy sert mieux que Gilles, il tape plus fort, il réussit plus de services gagnants. Mais Gilles a davantage de pouvoir d’accélération, aussi bien en coup droit qu’en revers, pour frapper des coups gagnants. Le problème avec Murray, c’est que, plus tu joues vite, plus il joue vite et bien. Contre lui, Gilles va devoir jouer sur les changements de rythme. En finale, à Madrid, il a aussi repéré des zones de service qu’il espère pouvoir utiliser. Murray retourne bien (il n’a concédé que trois aces en trois sets face à Roddick !), mais son retour offre parfois une balle exploitable. Gilles devra donc être très bon sur le premier coup après le service. Le physique va aussi être important. Gilles a envie d’imposer un gros combat parce qu’il se sent capable d’être plus fort que lui à ce niveau-là. Plus il restera longtemps sur le terrain, plus ça devrait l’avantager. Ça risque d’être un match bizarre, d’attente… Les spectateurs chinois ne vont pas comprendre ! À Madrid, ils se faisaient parfois siffler tant ils poussaient la balle… »
"They have a quite similar game, cover the court very well, few errors, natural counterpunchers. Andy serves better than Gilles, he hits the ball harder too, he hits more service winners. But Gilles can speed up the ball better on both wings. The problem with Murray is that the faster you play, the faster and the better he plays too. Gilles will have to vary the pace a lot. In the Madrid final, Gilles noticed areas on his serve he hopes being able to use today. Murray returns well (Roddick hit only 3 aces in 3 sets!), but it's sometimes possible to attack his return. Gilles will need to be very good on the 1st shot after the serve. The physical condition will be important too. Gilles' goal will be to get him into a big fight because he means he might be stronger in that regard. The longer they will stay on the court, the better it might be for him. It will probably be a strange match, very wait-and-see... The Chinese crowd won't get it! In Madrid, people were sometimes booing because they were just pushing the ball..."

Yep, even I was seriously bored in Madrid although I love both guys and it was so special to see Gilles in an AMS final!
Of course Gilles was exhausted there and should be in much better shape today, but Andy was far from playing his best tennis too in the final imo, maybe the pressure of playing an AMS final being the overwhelming favourite, he will have less pressure this time.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:31 AM   #499
country flag lisaplenske

lisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond repute

gilles didnt and couldnt play his best today.Murray was much agressive since the beggining and handled very well long rallies.
Gilles was down 0-4 and faced 2 balls of 0-5 in the first,it was just ues after ues.
Seems like he couldnt get relax and play his best. Well murray is on great shape,he's n°4 in the world and a good contender to win the title.
I m amazed as a richard fan how his win over rich in 4rd round of Wimbledon changed him in such a positive way!
well its not over for gilles, he'll have to beat stepanek in 2 in the last match to qualify.
Allez gilles

Tsonga - Simon - Monfils - Mathieu - Chardy - Baghdatis
Mannarino - Safin - Santoro - Gulbis- Nishikori
lisaplenske is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:37 AM   #500
country flag Månu

Månu has a reputation beyond reputeMånu has a reputation beyond reputeMånu has a reputation beyond reputeMånu has a reputation beyond reputeMånu has a reputation beyond reputeMånu has a reputation beyond reputeMånu has a reputation beyond reputeMånu has a reputation beyond reputeMånu has a reputation beyond reputeMånu has a reputation beyond reputeMånu has a reputation beyond repute

It's annoying because Gilles had really good opportunities first to come back at 4-4 in the first and second to take a break in the second set.

"We still believe that all people are born bad and are made good by society, rather than the opposite" Trey Parker & Matt Stone
Månu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:05 PM   #501
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

The audio interviews:
http://www.fft.fr/action/masters-cup/?ID=4335

Gilles is a bit mad at himself. He felt like he had the weapons to really annoy Andy today, but Andy was winning all the important points. He had his chances, didn't take them. But at least there was a fight.
It's so hard to hit a winner against Muzza. One has to carefully chose the right moment to do it and then really go for it, a little bit like against Nadal, he says. That's what he didn't do so well at the beginning, he was playing at a high pace, he wasn't varying enough and Andy plays his best tennis then.
And in the 2nd set his serve let him down, he says he probably had terrible 1st serve stats (43% during the match).

Tulasne: they knew Andy was going to be tough. Gilles was hesitating as to which way to play him at the beginning and it was too late then, Muzza was already leading 4-0.
But Tulasne means Gilles played at a very high level again during one hour. Then he wasn't able to take his BP again in the 2nd set, got frustrated and crumbled.
Then a lot of blabla about Muzza and how strong he is. He means Andy is #4 at the moment, but really not far at all from Djoko in terms of play. They'll need to find a solution to beat him, but it's going to be very complicated.
Gilles is sad right now and a bit upset too. But he has good sensations on the court, he's hitting the ball nicely, so they need to use today's match to see what didn't work and to work on it for the next match.
The next match against Steps will be very complicated again tactically, Steps won easily in Roland-Garros. And unfortunately, Gilles' fate now also depends on the results of the others.
But there are plenty of points to gain with a win over Steps - it's still a great story.

Last edited by Truc : 11-12-2008 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:15 PM   #502
country flag Truc

Grrrr, I hadn't seen they already have transcripts too... It's not exactly the same though.

Gilles: http://www.fft.fr/action/masters-cup/?ID=4341
He wonders how many UE Muzza made - certainly not many (Does anybody know?)
He felt like he had finally found the right tactics at 3-4 in the first set when he had 3 BP to come back at 4-4, he wasn't playing too fast anymore, he was picking the right time to try to hit a winner. But he just wasn't good enough on big points today.
Here he says his 1st poor serve stats were not so important, actually, because Andy returns so well anyway. It became a factor in the middle of the 2nd set only (when he was so mad at himself). But it was too late at that point anyway, he lost the match at the end of the 1st set and at the beginning of the 2nd set in his opinion.
Muzza's gameplan is very simple, but he does it so well, he's very frustrating to play. He's perfect in defense. Maybe Gilles should have played more volleys and dropshots. (That's new to me, can he play dropshots? He never does.)
The journalist asks if he wasn't tempted to try to be even more patient than Andy at one point (instead of trying to hit winners). His answer: "One day I will try that. You can start the stopwatch on that day: the match will last 4 hours. But I'm having a good feeling for my shots right now. I wanted to tempt my chance."
The next match: no good memories, he lost 6-2 6-4 6-1 in Roland, Radek is very tough to play. He'll need to serve well and return well. Radek can be impressive on serve, but he sometimes tends to make DF when the opponent returns his serve well.

Last edited by Truc : 11-12-2008 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:29 PM   #503
country flag Truc

Anyway, even if beats Steps now, he needs Murray to beat Fed, otherwise he's out.
It's so annoying Fed will face a Murray who has already qualified, it really twists the whole thing.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:27 PM   #504
country flag but-it's-ok

but-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond repute

Gilles lost to the best player in the world today(on current form), no shame in that Hopefully Gilles will beat Stepanek and then.... well I think Andy looks like he's not even remotely phased by anyone right now, and I would back him to beat Federer again. Federer did enough to win today, but he's way below his best game and top fitness level

Cheering forNole Gilles Tomas Dima Grisha Delpo Stan Fed Nando GGL Domi
Thanks for the memories Juan Carlos!

Anci Petra Maria Sharapova Sabine Thanks for the memories Kim
Norwich City Football Club
but-it's-ok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:05 PM   #505
country flag Truc

Why the hell has the GM thread about his group 10 pages? No way I'm going to read that.
I had only read that Murray needs to beat Federer, otherwise he's out. It was obviously a bit oversimplified. What are the other options?
Old 11-12-2008, 04:19 PM   #506
country flag Elena.

Elena. has a reputation beyond reputeElena. has a reputation beyond reputeElena. has a reputation beyond reputeElena. has a reputation beyond reputeElena. has a reputation beyond reputeElena. has a reputation beyond reputeElena. has a reputation beyond reputeElena. has a reputation beyond reputeElena. has a reputation beyond reputeElena. has a reputation beyond reputeElena. has a reputation beyond repute

There aren't other options

a) Simon W, Fed W => Fed in semis
b) Simon L, Fed W => Fed ""
c) Simon L, Fed L => Simon ""
d) Simon W, Fed L => Simon ""
Elena. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:25 PM   #507
country flag HoistDaColors

HoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know...I don't want to think about the mathematical calamity. as of now, gilles is trailing. Gilles has won 2 sets total and lost 3. Federer has won 3 sets and lost 2. You can see that there are different possibilities that could happen. It hurts my head to think about it. We should just wish Gilles to do his best.

Even though the next match might not mean a lot to Murray in terms of qualifying, I think it will be wise for him to beat the Federer now. That way he will surely knock him out of the tournament. Federer can pick up his form later in the knock out round and Muzza should think ahead to prevent that from happening.
HoistDaColors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:28 PM   #508
country flag HoistDaColors

HoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post

Not necessarily right? If Simon can beat Step in two sets and Fed takes 3 sets to beat Andy. They will both have a 4-3 set ratio. Then they will look at the game differential. This is an obvious disadvantage to gilles since he didn't win many games today.

edit: nevermind. Federer would have a 5-3 set ratio. ugh!!!
HoistDaColors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:29 PM   #509
country flag Tutu

Tutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post

Yeah:

Quote:
if fed wins 2-0 or 2-1 he is first in the red group and murray is second
if fed loses 0-2 or 1-2 he is out, and simon is second qualifier regardless of his results with stepanek
. Well I hope that Fed loses then.

WTA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ATP
Tutu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:34 PM   #510
country flag Truc

http://www.masters-cup.com/1/news/2008/wednesday.asp
Andy: "I plan on trying to win the match."
He could hardly say he plans on tanking if he loses the first set.
The other reason for Muzza to win (apart from getting rid of Fed) would be to avoid Nole in the semi, right? Or is Nole not sure yet to be #1 in his group?
And maybe the ranking points too.
Gosh, I hate that situation.