Indoor season 2008 - Page 33 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-08-2008, 08:26 PM   #481
country flag lisaplenske

lisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indoor season 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by julia_gu View Post
The players went to the openning ceremony by cars.When Gilles and Jo went out,Gilles walked after Jo and wanted to get on Jo's car.Then Jo said"no" and pointed at his car!An interesting mistake I think.Maybe he was a little nervous.
oh, perhaps he just want to respect the master up organisation, if players decides to go in 2 in a car, letting the other like that,it could make the organizator a little bit confused...
And yes, I think Jo is a little bit nervous.
I hope he wont be as the match start tomorrow

merci Truc, Fran c'est ça?c'est vraiment cool.

Tsonga - Simon - Monfils - Mathieu - Chardy - Baghdatis
Mannarino - Safin - Santoro - Gulbis- Nishikori
lisaplenske is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2008, 11:01 PM   #482
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

My name is Françoise, but a lot of people call me Fran on MTF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brego View Post
I can't beleive Federer said that.
No, sorry, he said Gilles hasn't done "anything big" in Slams!

I don't find Gilles sounds very positive about his chances. Tulasne says so, but Tulasne talks a lot.
In the last interview, Gilles keeps saying he hopes it won't be too hard on Monday, Federer will be extremely motivated, he will be more cautious this time and also more confident, etc.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:30 AM   #483
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
And Gilles in Shanghai:
One of the reasons I like him so much is because he seems so "normal." I hope being in the top 10 doesn't change that.

As for the car thing, having 8 cars for just 8 people is a little silly, I think Gilles was only trying to point that out.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:32 AM   #484
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not getting coverage of the singles. I'll get all of the doubles matches on the Tennis Channel, but they gave the rights for the singles to FSN. FSN is the dumbest "network" ever, because they have a lot of affiliate stations who don't actually have to show what the national station shows. As a result, we never get their tennis coverage.

Annoying. The first TMC I actually want to watch and I can't.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:06 AM   #485
country flag rtgy

rtgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
I'm not getting coverage of the singles. I'll get all of the doubles matches on the Tennis Channel, but they gave the rights for the singles to FSN. FSN is the dumbest "network" ever, because they have a lot of affiliate stations who don't actually have to show what the national station shows. As a result, we never get their tennis coverage.

Annoying. The first TMC I actually want to watch and I can't.

poor you.............. try bet365, they have pretty good coverage some times /excluding the commentators who are totally silly indeed/
or betfair maybe
oh and yes justin tv perhaps

Last edited by rtgy : 11-09-2008 at 08:12 AM.
rtgy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:22 AM   #486
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Scotty I posted a reply to you in another thread!
Like Yavor suggests or try here
http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?ma...47&part=sports

edit - this is the best quality one I've found so far
http://atdhe.net/live-tv-301.html

Last edited by MsTree : 11-10-2008 at 10:02 AM.
MsTree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:50 PM   #487
country flag Scotso

thanks.

I managed to find a Latin American stream of the match, so I got to see it. Although I couldn't understand anything the people were saying. But I think that's probably for the best.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:18 PM   #488
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

ASAP is so slow to post the post-match interviews in English...

Here are a few points of his post-match interviews in French http://www.fft.fr/action/masters-cup/?ID=4330 ("I've recovered my aggressive game") + http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2...rticulier.html:
Like everybody, he wanted to know if he had been only lucky in Toronto or if he was really able to annoy Fed. He has the answer.
He means he was more aggressive than he usually is. In the 1st set he was a little bit tight, a bit too wait-and-see, but as soon as he was one set down, as usual, he felt like he had nothing to lose and really went for his shots.
He wishes he would get rid of this little complex he has at the beginning of the matches and wouldn't need to be one set and one break down to start playing his game.
He's been a little bit hurt to hear lately that he's "laborious". When he was young, people said he was talented. But he's been trying so hard to be consistent that he wasn't really playing anymore. Today, he hit some really great FH winners and had fun. And the more he enjoys it, the easier it is.
He had told Tulasne after Madrid that he couldn't go on like that, only fighting far behind his baseline, that he wouldn't be able to string tournaments together playing that way. He wanted to dare more.
He likes the big fights and playing defensive, but he also likes hitting nice shots. Today he was able to find the right balance and to be aggressive when he needed to, while he was more relying on the errors of the opponent lately.
He was feeling great in training already, especially against Delpo 3 days ago, they played one set in practice and he was hitting winners left, right and center and thought that if he kept it up, he would be able to win matches at the TMC too.

Tulasne means he was surprised himself. He's delighted by his aggressive play, his netgame and the ace on MP. It was not easy to arrive as an alternate and to feel like a real contender, as much worth as the other 7, they talked a lot so Gilles would enter the event with the right frame of mind.

Last edited by Truc : 11-10-2008 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:41 PM   #489
country flag lisaplenske

lisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond repute

yes seems like gilles was really satisfied about his match today,his audio interview is more longer than usual.
I like his way of thinking; he admits that when he face big champion such as federer or top players, he has a little "complexe" but quickly he recover from that and say that when he enters in the court hes looking for the win,not to make a good match.His goal is to win and he'll make everything to get it.
yes really positive for his progression.

Tsonga - Simon - Monfils - Mathieu - Chardy - Baghdatis
Mannarino - Safin - Santoro - Gulbis- Nishikori
lisaplenske is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:41 PM   #490
country flag anaquot

anaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond repute

I like how he is never guarded in his interviews. When he is pleased with himself he says so. It is refreshing.
anaquot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:49 AM   #491
country flag Truc

Here is the full version in l'Equipe today:
Quote:
« ÇA FAIT QUOI de battre à nouveau Federer ?
– Je voulais savoir si j’avais été seulement opportuniste à Toronto. Là, j’ai la réponse : quand je pose mon jeu et que je joue libéré, j’arrive à évoluer au niveau des tout meilleurs. Le fait de l’avoir déjà battu à Toronto m’a énormément aidé. Mais, chaque fois que j’entre sur un terrain, ce n’est pas pour faire un beau match, c’est pour gagner.
– Le dominer au Masters revêt-il une signification spéciale ?
– Franchement, ce n’est pas plus important que de l’avoir battu à Toronto. À chaque fois, c’est juste un grand bonheur. Quand on bat un numéro 1 ou un numéro 2 mondial, ça donne envie de continuer à bosser. Parce que ce sont des émotions incroyables. Mais on ne s’est pas trop laissé aller dans le vestiaire. Ce ne serait pas bon signe de sabrer le champagne juste après le premier match. C’est important de montrer aux meilleurs que ce n’est pas un hasard. Je crois que même Federer était impatient de voir si ma victoire à Toronto était un coup de bol, si j’étais capable de le refaire ou si c’était un accident. Peut-être qu’un Federer ou un Nadal ont aujourd’hui changé d’avis sur moi.
– Est-ce que ce succès vous étonne ?
– Depuis que je suis arrivé ici, je joue très bien à l’entraînement. J’avais de très bonnes sensations et je sentais que je pouvais faire un très bon match. Mais, à chaque fois que j’entre sur le terrain, j’ai encore une petite appréhension… Je ne me décompose pas, mais j’ai du mal à laisser partir mes coups dès le début. C’est toujours impressionnant d’affronter des joueurs comme Federer. Quand on voit le bruit que ça fait quand il entre sur le terrain… Mais il y a forcément un moment dans le match où, avec les courses et la fatigue, tu ne penses plus qu’au jeu. Tu oublies que c’est Federer et tu sens que tu as une chance de gagner parce que tu frappes bien dans la balle.
– À quel moment du match avez-vous oublié ces complexes ?
– Assez tôt, en fait. Je ne me sens pas loin de lui, mais je sens aussi qu’il va falloir faire mieux. Je sens que j’ai les coups dans la raquette. Si je suis nerveux, c’est parce que je voudrais que ça aille plus vite ! Et puis, à un moment donné, comme contre Nadal à Madrid, je sens que ça y est : tout part, je frappe, je ne me pose plus de questions, je sais que je vais faire le point.
« Entendre que j’étais un besogneux m’a fait mal »
– Ce match a-t-il été différent de celui de Toronto ?

– Roger avait été plus agressif au début. Après, quand je l’agressais, il faisait la faute assez vite. Il n’acceptait pas l’échange. Il dit parfois qu’il aime bien gagner à la manière de l’adversaire. Il s’est peut-être dit aujourd’hui qu’il allait être plus patient.
– Son slice de revers vous a-t-il gêné ?
– Je m’y attendais. Mais c’est un coup sur lequel on ne peut rien faire. On peut juste remettre la balle, longue. Elle est lente, courte, basse et tu ne peux pas prendre de risques. Il y a eu un point où le public a manifesté parce qu’il m’a joué huit ou neuf revers rasants de suite. Je ne voulais pas en sortir, mais j’ai trouvé la solution en montant à contretemps.
– Roger dit que vous êtes un joueur différent…
– Je ne me sens pas différent, mais tout le monde me trouve différent ! (Rires). Moi, j’ai juste l’impression de faire des coups droits et des revers ! Mais c’est vrai que je suis surprenant… Tout le monde dit que je n’ai pas de coup fort. Je ne suis pas d’accord : ce qui perturbe l’adversaire, c’est que je peux attendre mais, quand je laisse partir un coup, ça va très vite. C’est soudain, joué à plat, profond, et le mec qui s’est installé à l’intérieur du terrain n’a pas le temps de se replacer. Quand je retombe dans mes travers, je ne me sers pas assez de ces changements de rythme. Sur ce match, j’ai plus fait le jeu que d’habitude.
– C’est venu tout seul ?
– Quand je suis arrivé ici, j’ai dit à Thierry (Tulasne, son coach) que je ne me sentais pas de jouer ici pendant des heures. C’est sympa de gagner à la bagarre, mais je n’irai pas loin comme ça. J’étais devenu difficile à battre, mais j’avais perdu ce qui fait ma spécificité. Je suis un peu orgueilleux et, quand j’ai lu ou entendu que j’étais un besogneux, ça m’a fait mal… Parce qu’on m’a toujours dit que j’étais plutôt doué. Contre Federer, tous les points importants, je suis allé les chercher. Je vais essayer de poursuivre dans cette voie. Plus je prends de plaisir, plus c’est facile pour moi.
– Est-ce une victoire qui vient de loin, plus précisément de votre premier entraînement ici ?
– Je n’avais pas envie de faire de la figuration dans ce Masters. Je ne suis pas venu pour apprendre. On peut apprendre et gagner des matches. Ici, l’objectif a toujours été clair : me qualifier pour les demies. Donc, dès le premier jour, je me suis appliqué enme montrant très agressif. Je voulais retrouver cette partie-là de mon jeu. Tout s’est mis en place lors d’un entraînement contre Del Potro. Je frappais fort, à plat, je faisais des tas de points gagnants. Ça m’a mis en confiance. Et je me suis mis à y croire… »
Just a few more points, it's the same as my summary yesterday:

He thinks that even Federer was eager to see if the win in Toronto was just a fluke, if he was able to do it again. "Maybe Federer and Nadal have changed their opinion about me today." [I'm sure he's a bit pissed Fed hasn't shown much respect after Toronto and has been saying everywhere he should never ever have lost to Gilles Simon. Gilles used to be such a Fed fanboy and nothing since Toronto. During the handshake again yesterday, he was looking at Fed with an inquiring expression on his face.]
It's always impressive to play players like Federer. Just the noise when they enter the court (he mentioned the noise all the time during the Nadal match too). He always plays the first part of the match with too much fear then. But at one point, with the fatigue too, he manages to forget about it and to focus only on the game.
He means that Roger had been more aggressive in Toronto and was also making errors earlier in the rallies in the 2nd part of the Toronto match. He wasn't accepting at all the fight from the baseline there. He was more patient yesterday in comparison. Fed sometimes says he likes beating his opponents at their own game.
The journalist tells him Roger said he's special. "I don't feel different, but everybody says I am! (laughter) I'm just hitting forehands and backhands! But it's true I'm surprising... People say I don't have a big shot [Seb ]. I disagree with that: my patience in the rallies is unsettling for the opponent, but when I go for a shot, it's very fast. It's sudden, flat, deep and the guy has no time to go back. When I fall back into my old failings, I don't use these changes of pace enough. During today's match, I dictated the game more than usual."
Old 11-11-2008, 07:57 AM   #492
country flag Truc

And Tulasne is very happy because Gilles was able to show the new things they've been working on since this winter in the most critical moments of the match. Players tend to play the shots they feel comfortable with then, but Gilles was coming to the net. So Tulasne was thinking back with emotion of the training sessions this winter when they started working on his volley at 2 km/h with big ballhoppers after he decided to switch to the one-handed volley.

(It's not new, actually, he's always doing that, he was just executing it much better yesterday. But it's good Tulasne is pointing it out for people who don't know Gilles so well because that's so typical indeed.)
Old 11-11-2008, 08:00 AM   #493
country flag HoistDaColors

HoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond reputeHoistDaColors has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
During the handshake again yesterday, he was looking at Fed with an inquiring expression on his face.
I saw that look on Federer's face like he was stunned and disgusted. But not everybody get's to same love as Rafa does from Fed. oh whatever. at least roger called Gilles special. that's a start. (I still like Roger and I hope he ends this year in high note.)
HoistDaColors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #494
country flag Truc

He called him "quite a unique player" according to the ASAP transcripts, so I guess Gilles will be fine this time.

Q. Can you talk about, is there something he does in those two matches that you played that particularly bothers you, how it happens?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, I mean, the better you play, the better he plays, you know. And he's quite a unique player and he makes you work hard and runs very well. Yeah, he's unusual to play against.
Q. How do you compare today's match with the Toronto one?
ROGER FEDERER: Toronto match? Very similar (smiling). I lost both. Both three sets, and I lost both. Could have won both but lost. So very similar.

And from the press conference of Andy R.:
Q. How do you approach Gilles Simon as a player? What will be different? Roger said Simon was different. He said he was tough to play.
ANDY RODDICK: Okay. Yeah, I mean, he is tough to play. I mean, I think, you know, "different" can be taken a lot of different ways, so I'm not exactly sure where to go with that.
Personally, my matchup with him is pretty straightforward. He's trying to extend the rallies and I'm trying to shorten the rallies. You know, I think our matchup is pretty straightforward.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:31 PM   #495
country flag Truc

And the transcript of Gilles' press conference in English, but it's the same as the video you posted in the other thread:

November 10, 2008
G. SIMON/R. Federer
4-6, 6-4, 6-3

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. I'm wondering what was your reaction when you found out that you qualified for the event and then that you were playing Federer in the first round? How did you prepare?
GILLES SIMON: Well, I was just happy because it was a good thing for me to play here in Shanghai. I knew it was a good experience, too. Finally, yeah, I played against Roger the first match.
I just wanted to play my chance, and I just wanted to give everything on the court.

Q. Not many people are able to beat Roger Federer. You've beaten him both teams you played him. Talk about how that feels and also what you think you have in your game to beat him, what bothers him.
GILLES SIMON: Well, I hope I have the game to defeat so many players. It's always hard to win against Federer. I know that I have to play my best tennis. But in another way, it's easier for me because I have just, yeah, I have no question in any head. I just want to give everything, every point to my may best tennis to win.
It's easier to play in that way.

Q. I would like to ask you in the eighth game in the decider, you were leading, and you were trailing behind and then you came back. What were you thinking about? In the third set, the eighth game of the third set.
GILLES SIMON: Yes, I was really nervous at this time because I had so many opportunities to break him the game before. I lost I think eight points in a row. So it wasn't the best moment of the match for me.
But finally I played a good game with a good passing shot and then an ace, then a wonderful lob, too. So I was just happy when I was leading 4-3 in the third because I knew I had just a hard time just before, and then I had the chance to win one more time.

Q. Could you please compare this match with the Toronto one. Roger said his service is not that powerful because he was conscious with his back. Do you feel so?
GILLES SIMON: Yes, his serve was a little bit slower than unusual. But, like I said, he's not -- he has a good serve, but his serve is not that fast. But he has all the serve. He serve everywhere in the first serve and the second serve, so it's really hard to read. It's never easy to break him because every time it's an important point he always has his first serve.
So it was a little bit easier for me, but not that much.

Q. As the one who qualifies for the Masters Cup at the last second, what's your reaction and emotions to make one of the biggest upsets in the history of Masters Cup, to beat Roger, who won here like four times?
GILLES SIMON: Well, like I said, I was first really happy to come here because I was just No. 9. So I knew that I had the opportunity to play. And after when I get into the court, it's to win the match. So I kept that in my mind from the beginning of the match. I felt that I have a chance to win in the second set. I just wanted to do the maximum for that.
I defeated him once in Toronto, so it was easier to finish the match. I had no complex when I served in the last game. And, for sure, it was one more time one of the best victory of my career.

Q. You beat Roger Federer once. People might call it an accident or surprise. Now it's the second time. What would you call it?
GILLES SIMON: A second accident (laughter).

Q. I would like to ask you, I notice that during the game a few times you were trying to smash your racquet but you controlled yourself. What were you thinking about? You thought actually you need to be more patient with Roger Federer, considering that he's been suffering from his back pain?
GILLES SIMON: Well, so many questions (smiling).
I was, yes, a little bit nervous today because I had really nice sensation when I was practicing this morning, when I was practicing, yeah, yesterday. So I felt that I have a good chance to win. But finally in the first set I didn't play the game I wanted. I was not that much confident on the court because it's never easy to play against Federer.
But then, like I said, in the second set I really felt that I have a chance to win, but I didn't manage yet to play my best tennis. So, yeah, I was a little bit nervous when I lost some important points not playing my best tennis.

Q. When the game was going to the third set, were you confident that you will win the game? If the match is a bit longer, is it easy for you?
GILLES SIMON: Yes, it's always easier when it's a long match because you lose all your complex and you just play your game when you start to be tired. When it's one hour and a half that you are on the court, you just play your best tennis because you're just thinking about the game. So for sure it helps me.
But I didn't wait the beginning of the third set to think that I have a chance to win. Because if you come on the court and if think that you have no chance to win, you just lose in two sets. So I really start to believe in me and my chance to win at the beginning of the match.
http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=53268