Indoor season 2008 - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-29-2008, 01:55 AM   #16
country flag lisaplenske

lisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indoor season 2008

good luck to gilles in that tournament in home country.

nice initiative from him to help in the tournament promotion,I think that you were right truc to critisize other french players to not play metz,especially richard
if he lose to young or other veteran I will throw myself from a building

Allez Gilles go and win the title!

Tsonga - Simon - Monfils - Mathieu - Chardy - Baghdatis
Mannarino - Safin - Santoro - Gulbis- Nishikori
lisaplenske is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2008, 10:45 AM   #17
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

From the other thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedlesurfeur View Post
I know I shouldn't be scared, but Mahut can be impressive sometimes I remember watch him play on grass and I was simply amazed

My guesses:
Mahut knows Gilles gets the balls back, so he is going to try to outpower him.. Ig Gillou keeps the rhythm and get the balls back, Mahut is likely to lose patience and make a lot of unforced errors.
Watch out for Mahut using the drop shot as he can be remarkable in that field, while Gillou's getting to the net is not the most brilliant part of his game at all..
Maybe Mahut will find the answers at the net... We'll see how it goes..
I'm not scared because I have zero expectations for this tournament, but I agree you should be if you badly want Gillou to win.
Mahut is a very tricky opponent for him in the 1st round imo for many reasons:

- I think they know each other very well (everytime I've seen Gilles practice, it was with Nico, Di saw them practice together in Nottingham too...) So the confusing effect of Gillou's game won't do the job with Nico. Even if the other players know about the flaws in his game, especially on short balls, most of them don't play a lot of dropshots against him for some reason, maybe because they get caught up in his game. I don't think it will happen with Nico who is used to play against him and I expect Nico to play a lot of dropshots indeed.

- Nico is DYING to do well at the moment. I translated an article for his thread the other day ("Mahut on a mission") and I saw him in Bangkok too last week, it was obvious, he was really playing with rage, almost provoked the crowd when he played Udomchoke in the 1st round.
I don't think Gilles will be in raging mood at all, he's more coming out of his hibernation (and he has not much to win in Metz, while Mahut really, really needs to salvage his season now).
Most of the other guys in Metz are starting their indoor season there, like Gilles, but not Nico who has already played 2 tournaments indoors (and done quite well at them).
Plus the surface of Metz seems to suit Nico who almost made it to the final there last year.

Nico probably wants to win so badly that he can turn into a headcase (the pressure to defend his points from last year), happens all the time with him. Or maybe the jetlag will catch up with him too.
Otherwise I think it's completely even.

That was another novel from me, sorry... ^^

Last edited by Truc : 09-30-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #18
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
and he has not much to win in Metz
hej, the guy is playing for a Shanghai-ticket, that should be motivation enough.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:27 AM   #19
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

But he needs to pretty much reach the final of Metz to add points! Only the 5 best optionals count and he already has 3 titles and a Rotterdam semi which brought him loads of points.
Metz has quite a strong field, but gives less points than his next events.

But maybe he will try to win Metz and then he can forget about Vienna and Lyon and just focus on the AMS, that would make sense too.

Last edited by Truc : 09-30-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:35 AM   #20
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
BOnly the 5 best optionals count and he already has 3 titles and a Rotterdam semi which brought him loads of points.
Metz has quite a strong field, but doesn't give much points, Vienna is more interesting for him.
I know, but he will certainly be treated better in Metz than in Vienna. I am rather sure that in the early rounds, they will put him on the small court (which can be very depressing), just to see our useless Austrian wildcards losing on center. And if a Frenchman gets the showcourt, it is certainly going to be Gael.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:49 AM   #21
country flag Truc

He's used to play on courts 17 and 26, but yes, you're right, Metz is a great occasion with his draw and because he will be treated so well...
I've changed my mind. Win Metz, Gilles. No pressure in the next optionals then and you will be well-rested for Madrid.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:41 PM   #22
country flag tedlesurfeur

tedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond repute

I agree on this.
But Iv'e just realized that Davydenko, Ferrer and Roddick are almost already qualified... Meaning the only spot left is the No.8 spot.. And we never know what to expect from Blake and Gonzalez..

Plus, veiny-4-titles-a-in-a-rom-never-before-seen-after-maiden-title Del Potro is like the most confident player ever right now.. The guy plays his best tennis on any surface right now, should it be sand or ice, he would win it all..
tedlesurfeur is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:11 PM   #23
country flag Truc

Don't forget Tzonga who doesn't even need to win anything to be the "most confident player ever".
I think JMDP and JWT are the most dangerous contenders.
But well, everybody is looking in a better position than Gilles on paper, Blake, Wawa, Gonzo...

Delpo's main focus should be the DC final imo. They will go absolutely apeshit over him over there if Argentina wins it, it's for his own good.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:17 PM   #24
country flag Truc

6/4, 3/6, 6/1 - that last game of the 1st set looked like a total waste, when he had 0-40 on Nico's serve and couldn't take any of his BP.
Nico says in his audio interview on the FFT website that his BP conversion (3/3) is very uncommon for him because he's a bad returner - but that's Gillou for you, either he saves BP like a God or the complete opposite, unfortunately! (That's my comment, of course, not Nico's.)

Nico also says he is jet-lagged, had to take loads of vitamin C before the match and was feeling really dull. ^^
He means Gilles completely gave him the first game.
He says he had spotted a few tactical things during their match in Indianapolis and was able to use them today, but he doesn't say what exactly.

Last edited by Truc : 09-30-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:37 PM   #25
country flag Truc

They have an interview of Gilles too now: http://www.fft.fr/open-de-moselle/2008/?id=4101

He says his first game was "quite scary".
And it was very important because Nico is a player whose level varies a lot depending on the score and on his confidence. When he feels confident, he plays very well. So it was "a bad idea" to take such a poor start.
Then he was a bit better and wasn't in danger on his serve until the 3rd set, but he managed the big points very poorly again in the 3rd set.
He means it's due to the faster surface. On hardcourt and on clay, he always felt like he could take his time on big points and control the situation. Here it's just a matter of 1-2 shots and he wasn't able to deal with that new situation.
He really wanted to play a good match and to win today in order to get his bearings on that surface. But he means he's mentally not ready yet for that kind of game, he still is too much in "hardcourt/clay" mood where he had more time to settle his game down.
"Today I was confronted with the harsh realities of indoors hardcourt tennis. It's a little bit less exciting, but well, I'll deal with it!"

Last edited by Truc : 09-30-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:18 PM   #26
country flag gambit84

gambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond repute

oh c'moooonnnnn, I know it was just a gift he gave to (little, unlucky, poor ) Nico

who cares about this tourney? Gillu played it just for getting confidence with indoor courts and because you know he's a french star and so they forced him to play ()

he's looking at TMS, the only tourneys he wanna win now

positivity

Old 10-01-2008, 07:37 AM   #27
country flag Truc

I don't think anybody is shattered anyway.
Gilles doesn't sound crushed at all in that audio interview. He says in L'Equipe "if I lose first round in Vienna, it won't be a big deal either."
He really was playing to get used to the surface and to play in France, but isn't ready yet.

But the journalist of L'Equipe says that Mahut was almost limping in the players hotel because he's just coming back from Bangkok and really wasn't looking very fresh. So a loss to Nico indoors isn't shocking for Poussin, he will always be more vulnerable on that surface, but that 3rd set must have been quite bad.

He plays in doubles with Jim today.

Last edited by Truc : 10-01-2008 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:06 AM   #28
country flag Truc

Quote:
«En manque de repères»
Battu dès son entrée en lice à Metz par Nicolas Mahut, Gilles Simon refusait cependant d'en faire une catastrophe. Pour le Niçois, tout est une question d'adaptation et, surtout, rien n'est perdu pour une éventuelle qualification au Masters de Shangaï.
par Krystel Roche, le 01-10-2009

Gilles, on imagine que vous êtes déçu de vous incliner ici dès le premier tour. Le match a mal commencé, s’est mal terminé, il y a eu de bonnes choses au milieu mais cela n’a pas suffi…
Gilles Simon : Je manquais énormément de repères, en tout cas sur le début de match. Je fais un premier jeu assez effroyable… Malheureusement pour moi, surtout sur une surface comme cela, ça conditionne beaucoup la suite. Nicolas (Ndlr : Mahut) est un joueur qui joue très, très bien, et dont le niveau de jeu varie énormément en fonction du niveau de confiance. J’ai eu la mauvaise idée de faire un mauvais début de match, donc je pense que lui a joué à son meilleur niveau. Effectivement, il y a eu du mieux par la suite, je crois que je n’ai pas été inquiété sur mon service avant le troisième set, mais là encore j’ai très mal géré : je crois que dans l’ensemble j’ai un peu trop retenu sur tous les points importants. Je pense que c’est beaucoup lié à la surface, qui va très vite. Et puis ces derniers temps, dehors, sur dur, c’était un peu plus lent, même sur terre à Bucarest, j’avais l’impression que je disposais de plus de temps pour gérer ces moments-là. Là, tout se joue sur un ou deux coups de raquette… Malheureusement je ne les ai jamais sortis.

N’est-ce pas trop gênant dans la perspective de la Masters Cup de Shangaï ?
Gilles Simon : Non, c’est sûr, ce n’est pas à cause de cela que j’ai perdu ! (rires). Je voulais juste essayer de faire un bon match, j’aurais vraiment voulu gagner, car c’était important pour moi de prendre de bons repères sur cette surface dès le début… Une chose est sûre : le dur en salle est toujours beaucoup plus serré, beaucoup plus accroché, ça se joue à deux bons retours, deux bons services, deux ou trois balles de break : on change deux, trois points dans le match et si ça se trouve, c’est moi qui le gagne, donc… Je pense que mentalement je n’étais simplement pas encore prêt pour ce type de jeu, je restais vraiment sur ma victoire à Bucarest où j’avais le temps de faire tout ce que je voulais. Malheureusement, aujourd’hui, je me suis confronté à la réalité du dur en salle, qui est un petit peu moins passionnante mais bon, il faut faire avec…

Comment avez-vous accueilli le succès de Jo-Wilfried (Tsonga) ? En Français ? Ou en tennisman qui s’inquiète de la concurrence pour la Masters Cup ?
Gilles Simon : On a cette chance, avec la nouvelle génération qui arrive, de s’entendre vraiment très bien. Il n’y a pas de problème. Donc vous pouvez toujours essayer de nous monter les uns contre les autres, vous n’y arriverez pas ! (rires)… Honnêtement, je suis très content pour lui car forcément, je le connais très bien, je connais tout son parcours, et c’est vrai qu’à chaque fois des pépins physiques le bloquent. Ça a des avantages, des inconvénients, mais quoi qu’il en soit cette réussite est une bonne chose pour lui. De toute façon, à la limite, si je dois laisser ma place à quelqu’un pour le Masters, je préfèrerais que ce soit à lui qu’à un autre ! (sourire) Avec Jo, on est rentré en sport-études à Poitiers ensemble à l’âge de 14 ans et depuis, on s’est suivis dans les structure fédérales. Cela fait une dizaine d’années que l’on évolue ensemble, et l’on est un peu passés par tous les stades : c’était lui devant, après moi, après lui, après moi… En tout cas, je suis super content pour lui, que ça se passe bien, il le mérite. Je pense aussi le mériter, mais je ne vais pas le dire ! (rires)…Mais voilà je suis très content qu’on arrive à si bien jouer.

Concrètement, pour vous, au vu du classement, tout va se jouer sur les Masters Series de Madrid et Paris. Êtes-vous focalisé sur ces deux événements ?
Gilles Simon : Oui, c’est sûr que ce sont vraiment les deux objectifs majeurs. C’est pour ça, quand je dis que j’aurais voulu gagner, ce n’est pas tellement en termes de classement, puisqu’effectivement ce n’est pas gagner deux-trois matches qui va me faire avancer énormément. C’était vraiment juste pour la confiance, afin d’aborder ces deux événements dans les meilleures dispositions possibles. Bon, ce n’est pas la fin du monde si jamais cela se passe mal la semaine prochaine à Vienne, mais voilà, je pense que l’on joue toujours mieux lorsqu’on est sur une série de victoires que lorsqu’on perd, donc je vais essayer d’engranger un maximum de confiance la semaine prochaine.
http://www.sport24.com/tennis/atp/ac...eperes-200165/
Old 10-01-2008, 08:20 AM   #29
country flag Truc

It's the same as the audio interview for the most part.
When he's asked about the Masters Cup: "That's not the reason why I lost! (he laughes)."
He laughes again when he's asked about Jo-Wi who might be a rival now and he says they're really getting along with the other guys of the new generation, so the French media can try to set them against each other if they want, but it won't happen! Ultimately, if he has to be overtaken by one guy only in the Race, he prefers it to be Jo rather than anybody else since they've been training together since they're 14 years old. He's really happy for Jo who deserves what is happening to him. "I think I deserve it too, but I can't say that (he laughes)". He's just glad they both are playing so well.
Winning 2-3 matches won't make a difference for his ranking now. It's just important for his confidence to get a few wins under his belt, and that will be his frame of mind in Vienna too.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:45 AM   #30
country flag gambit84

gambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond repute

so a laughing Gillus during the interview....