Davis Cup - Mug performance of the weekend. - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-22-2008, 08:02 AM   #46
country flag Horatio Caine
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Horatio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Davis Cup - Mug performance of the weekend.

Because I watched the last 2 sets of his match with Melzer...and they were bad enough.

Bogdanovic.

But there were some other fine muggy performances this weekend.
Horatio Caine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2008, 08:41 AM   #47
country flag Machiavelli

Machiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond repute

The mug of this weekend is surely Andy Murray, i feel sorry for the guy, he produced what was asked from him, but everybody needs at least a little bit support, i think he actually believed they had a chance;

Bogdanovic is/will remain forever an unproven talent, i've seen him a lot of time at challenger events, he has the arsenal, but still plays like a junior, better to say like a mental midget, he has not what it takes to be a pro-tennis player, his chances in the final rubber against a mug like Peya were below zero from the start, to expect a win from Mugdanovic was just freaking hillarious.....

Nalbandian bending over against Davy wasn't that of a shock, nice call by Mancini letting an unfit player playing doubles knowing you need him the next day in singles;

Andreev has to be the second best in the mug contest, he played to well on the hard courts, people expected some mirracles from in Buenos Aires, but he was not able to perform, but there is no shame in losing to Bandy and Del Pony.....

Nadal trailing a set and break against Querrey was also a bit funny, but he got serious in the end and close it on time; Ferru almost crashing out against A-Rod on clay, credit to the Duck, but Ferrer seriously need to question his tennis....

The chilean golden boys- mug at its best...

And on more thing to Belucci- the so called Nadal of the CH circuit, i had higher expectations for him, yeah he is still 20, and he is a claycourter, but after seeing his performance against a totally unfit Ancic, and a mediocre Karlovic, pure disappointment, no serve and no freaking forhand, his bekhand is classy, but an ATP player having problems hitting forhands, just awful to watch.....
Old 09-22-2008, 09:19 AM   #48
country flag FiBeR

FiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond repute

everyone should know by now Bellucci is a mug (currently)..no one expected much of him he lost a couple of 5 setters in DC before.. where he should have won no news here..

im so sorry for brasilians cos i kind of like a lot this bellucci guy since i saw him last year in the Bs As Ch..but you know..he has the mentality of a PHM
he just cant win close matches, specially on live DC and is a tad useless under pressure
but there is hope I guess..if he trains hard

talent? yeah! but for now let's say he is still young...as an excuse

Boggo is a diff story

On a second thought, i think either nalbandian or chilean doubles isnt the worst mug performance of the DC since it didnt cost the tie to their countries.. bottomline they could afford to lose those matches.. Bogdanovic is quite a different story ..i like Alex a lot but oh well

Sorewa ore no Nindou da

6-4 3-6 6-7 7-6 70-68

FiBeR is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:49 AM   #49
country flag bjurra

bjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond repute

Mugdanovich is ranked 162, Peya 164. Peya's best surface is grass. Losing to Peya hardly justifies an even bigger mug status than he already had.
bjurra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:50 AM   #50
country flag Seneca

Seneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond repute

The whole of Arg-Rus doubles match. Four mugs taking turns to out-mug each other. The Russians playing almost remotely passable tennis for two sets to completely lose the plot and nearly pull defeat from the jaws of victory. Apart from one inspired serve-and-drop-volley from Mug Dave, this match had nothing. No communication, no inspiration, no competence at the net, no serving. The letdown after the strangely compelling Spain-USA duel was striking.
| Jarkko Eminem |
Seneca is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:04 PM   #51
country flag Bloodletting

Bloodletting has a reputation beyond reputeBloodletting has a reputation beyond reputeBloodletting has a reputation beyond reputeBloodletting has a reputation beyond reputeBloodletting has a reputation beyond reputeBloodletting has a reputation beyond reputeBloodletting has a reputation beyond reputeBloodletting has a reputation beyond reputeBloodletting has a reputation beyond reputeBloodletting has a reputation beyond reputeBloodletting has a reputation beyond repute

probably not on the big headlines of the weekend but this must be, by far, the MUGGIEST performance in this weekend and one of the worst performances all together in DC.

http://www.daviscup.com/ties/tie.asp?tie=100010195

Lost a 2-0 lead AT HOME. To make things muggier, also this GD Jones lost a 2-0 lead on the fifth rubber to this unknown chinese.
Bloodletting is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:57 PM   #52
country flag groundstroke

groundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond repute

Boggo's career defining moment...?
groundstroke is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:37 PM   #53
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
The mug of this weekend is surely Andy Murray, i feel sorry for the guy, he produced what was asked from him, but everybody needs at least a little bit support, i think he actually believed they had a chance;

Bogdanovic is/will remain forever an unproven talent, i've seen him a lot of time at challenger events, he has the arsenal, but still plays like a junior, better to say like a mental midget, he has not what it takes to be a pro-tennis player, his chances in the final rubber against a mug like Peya were below zero from the start, to expect a win from Mugdanovic was just freaking hillarious.....

Nalbandian bending over against Davy wasn't that of a shock, nice call by Mancini letting an unfit player playing doubles knowing you need him the next day in singles;

Andreev has to be the second best in the mug contest, he played to well on the hard courts, people expected some mirracles from in Buenos Aires, but he was not able to perform, but there is no shame in losing to Bandy and Del Pony.....

Nadal trailing a set and break against Querrey was also a bit funny, but he got serious in the end and close it on time; Ferru almost crashing out against A-Rod on clay, credit to the Duck, but Ferrer seriously need to question his tennis....

The chilean golden boys- mug at its best...

And on more thing to Belucci- the so called Nadal of the CH circuit, i had higher expectations for him, yeah he is still 20, and he is a claycourter, but after seeing his performance against a totally unfit Ancic, and a mediocre Karlovic, pure disappointment, no serve and no freaking forhand, his bekhand is classy, but an ATP player having problems hitting forhands, just awful to watch.....
If Andy performed, how could he be called a mug?

Yeah, I've watched Boggo too and he's really not a bad tennis player. I'd say he's got more game than most of the clowns around 80-100, but he just can't string the shots together when he needs to.

About Bellucci. The thing about him is that he's overrated, it's simple. He has huge problems he needs to address before he can play a decent ATP level. First, he's got no serve. Second, his forehand swing is too big. Those two problems I find to be the biggest in his game, because they're inherent to his technique and are heavily needed in tennis today. The other problems, like the absolute lack of variety and volleying skills are secondary, as tennis today doesn't exactly require players to know them. On faster courts, there's no way he'll be able to dictate play with such a big swing on the forehand. Also he's got an awful shot selection, something that's not such a big deal, considering he'll get wiser with age and experience. Trying to lob Karlovic gotta be one of the stupidest ideas I've ever known.

Andreev is a joke. He has always been. He has never delivered in a big moment being the favorite, unless the other player choked first. He's completely cluess about shot selection and tactics. Completely blind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiBeR View Post
everyone should know by now Bellucci is a mug (currently)..no one expected much of him he lost a couple of 5 setters in DC before.. where he should have won no news here..

im so sorry for brasilians cos i kind of like a lot this bellucci guy since i saw him last year in the Bs As Ch..but you know..he has the mentality of a PHM
he just cant win close matches, specially on live DC and is a tad useless under pressure
but there is hope I guess..if he trains hard

talent? yeah! but for now let's say he is still young...as an excuse

Boggo is a diff story

On a second thought, i think either nalbandian or chilean doubles isnt the worst mug performance of the DC since it didnt cost the tie to their countries.. bottomline they could afford to lose those matches.. Bogdanovic is quite a different story ..i like Alex a lot but oh well
Of course Bellucci is a mug. It's not because he's consistently spanking Roitman-like players that he's ready for DC action.

About his former losses, a huge part of it was due to a complete lack of fitness, something pretty normal for someone with his time of top level exposure. Also he was never a favorite against, let's say, Giraldo. Giraldo was the mug going far against a DC no-one in Bellucci.

He needs to get a shorter forehand ASAP and learn how to return serve. Then he'll be able to at least not get embarassed on faster surfaces.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:43 PM   #54
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

biggest problem for belluci in that match apart from the obvious return of serve was dealing with the slice. he was stupified everytime karlovic sliced the ball well.

but he's a decent claycourter just the way he is
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:29 PM   #55
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodletting View Post
probably not on the big headlines of the weekend but this must be, by far, the MUGGIEST performance in this weekend and one of the worst performances all together in DC.

http://www.daviscup.com/ties/tie.asp?tie=100010195

Lost a 2-0 lead AT HOME. To make things muggier, also this GD Jones lost a 2-0 lead on the fifth rubber to this unknown chinese.
thats a fantastic result for australia...! they are no all-blacks thats for sure...

mugs noted in OP...
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #56
country flag TheBoiledEgg

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute

how can Bogdanovic be mug of the weekend when he's MUG of the week every week ??
Berdych*Tsonga*Nishikori*Chardy

Goodbye Marat 1996-2009
TheBoiledEgg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:07 PM   #57
country flag TheBoiledEgg

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundstroke View Post
yes he actually wins a set in each of his 2 LIVE DC ties, 1st time ever
surely he'll get a WC for Wimbledon 2009 for this
NO ????????
Berdych*Tsonga*Nishikori*Chardy

Goodbye Marat 1996-2009
TheBoiledEgg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:00 PM   #58
country flag smucav

smucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond repute

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tenni...rom-a-dav.html
Quote:
Now for our goats (lower-case, and no acronym):

Alberto Mancini, the captain of Argentina. What was Mancini thinking, asking David Nalbandian to play both singles and doubles against a tough - and very physical - Russian squad? Nalbandian had to bounce back to play singles after the marathon doubles match cited above, and he flat-out ran out of gas (despite that big tank!), losing the fourth-set to Davydenko by a bagel (6-0). It's fun ragging on bon vivant Nalbandian, but he bears no blame in this one.

Igor Andreev of Russia seemed like he never really got into the semfinal against Argentina. Sure the Argentines are tough at home, but Andreev is a claydog, yet he didn't get a set off either of his opponents. In the critical fifth-rubber, with Russia poised to pull off one of the great come-from-behind upsets in recent memory, Andreev simply folded up against del Potro.

Jamie Murray and Ross Hutchins of Great Britain ought to be reminded that all doubles is supposed to be close, but that's wasn't the message in their 4-3-1 loss to the Austrians. For all I know, Julian Knowle and Jurgen Melzer may be the second coming of Todd Woodbridge and Mark Woodforde, but I somehow doubt it. Maybe this was karmic payback for the way Jamie trashed brother Andy for not playing Davis Cup last year; in any event, the UKrazies were the victims of the upset of the week. Let's hear it for Austria!
smucav is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:44 PM   #59
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
Yeah, I've watched Boggo too and he's really not a bad tennis player. I'd say he's got more game than most of the clowns around 80-100, but he just can't string the shots together when he needs to.
i have watched plenty of bogdanovic... when he is on, his style is easy on the eye... beleive it or not, the brand of game he brings to the court i really enjoy... the heartbreaking thing about it all is the fact that, while his game seems top 50 on occasion, his mental state is that of a junior... and it shows...

at the crunch moment... you can see it clearly in him that he believes he simply doesnt belong...

he is the mascot for the type of mediocrity that brit tennis has been showing for countless years... it understandable andy murray is trying to put the wind up them cos, taking in ability into account itself, he probably doesnt see the difference between boggo and consistant top 100...
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:02 PM   #60
country flag Albop
Banned!

Albop has a reputation beyond reputeAlbop has a reputation beyond reputeAlbop has a reputation beyond reputeAlbop has a reputation beyond reputeAlbop has a reputation beyond reputeAlbop has a reputation beyond reputeAlbop has a reputation beyond reputeAlbop has a reputation beyond reputeAlbop has a reputation beyond reputeAlbop has a reputation beyond reputeAlbop has a reputation beyond repute

I.Andreev.
Albop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote