The Luthi and Federer's Coach discussion thread - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-09-2007, 04:04 AM   #1
country flag rofe

rofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Luthi and Federer's Coach discussion thread

After parting ways with Tony, Fed wanted to find a new coach after Wimbly. Well, Wimbly is over so get all your rumors in here.

I am actually very interested in his choice because that choice may well be the difference between less than 15 slams and 15+ slams with an FO thrown in.

Last edited by NYCtennisfan : 10-30-2013 at 05:59 AM.
rofe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2007, 04:12 AM   #2
country flag mangoes
Comparisons are Odious

mangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who will be Fed's new coach?

I'm going with Cahill as the choice

Live Life to the Fullest , Be Happy , Find Peace within Yourself ..................
Tennis Helps!!
mangoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:20 AM   #3
country flag Marek.

Marek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond repute

Was it true that he wanted Cahill in '05 but had to settle for Roche?

I hope he could get Cahill. Maybe that would be the coach who could drive him to RG glory.
Marek. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:20 AM   #4
country flag World Beater

World Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond repute

i dont know if cahill is the best choice to coach roger.

if i could choose anyone. its paul anacone. Anacone was able to help pete sampras during his most difficult times and was able to convey useful advice to a very stubborn champion. Federer is no different to sampras in the way they approach matches. They both want to play one way and one way only. Fed is probably more tactical and more aware of the opponent than pete was.

anacone also seems to be very laidback and this will suit roger. anacone wrote an article for tennis magazine and i was very impressed with his insight into the mind of champions(pete) and into federer's mindset and game cahill seems to be a coach who can instill professionalism and help with off court training. i dont think roger needs this.

fed needs a coach who is well-versed in the mental aspect as well as the tactical. Anacone is a no-brainer for me. He is like a professor.

tony roche seemed to be coach who could improve technique. As roger ages, this part will not be as important.
World Beater is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:22 AM   #5
country flag Oriental_Rain

Oriental_Rain has a reputation beyond reputeOriental_Rain has a reputation beyond reputeOriental_Rain has a reputation beyond reputeOriental_Rain has a reputation beyond reputeOriental_Rain has a reputation beyond reputeOriental_Rain has a reputation beyond reputeOriental_Rain has a reputation beyond reputeOriental_Rain has a reputation beyond reputeOriental_Rain has a reputation beyond reputeOriental_Rain has a reputation beyond reputeOriental_Rain has a reputation beyond repute

cahill as well but I think he doesnt want to coach Roger

vždy budú lepší aj horší ľudia ako ty

Proud Passenger of Federer Express Seat no.80

Oriental_Rain is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:25 AM   #6
country flag ExpectedWinner

ExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond repute

Whoever he is, he'd better to come up with a realistic game plan against Nadal. Crippled Misha and Joker are able to take sets off him, but rested and healthy, but scared Fed provides such a drama on his favorite surface. It's annoying.
ExpectedWinner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:36 AM   #7
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Roger said in one of his Wimbledon pressers that he would like to S&V a lot more but didn't think he would win as much if he did. I hope he's willing to choose someone who will be honest with him and someone who will push him hard to get to net more. Anyone who will tell him over and over again to get rid of this determination to beat Nadal from the baseline.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:06 AM   #8
country flag World Beater

World Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkaland View Post
Roger said in one of his Wimbledon pressers that he would like to S&V a lot more but didn't think he would win as much if he did. I hope he's willing to choose someone who will be honest with him and someone who will push him hard to get to net more. Anyone who will tell him over and over again to get rid of this determination to beat Nadal from the baseline.
its not that simple just to come to net. Roger can beat nadal from the baseline but he needs to realize the way to do it. he cant kamikaze the net...he will get killed.
World Beater is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:24 AM   #9
country flag oneandonlyhsn

oneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkaland View Post
I disagree on this part against anyone else this tactic works but against Rafa it doesnt. The surfaces dont play like they used to, just see how much Tiger Tim gets passed when he plays against Rafa, and he IMO has the best volleys on the mens circuit.

I am not saying that he shouldnt volley at all, but he needs to do it very carefully as Rafa has some of the most mindblowing passing shots from any position on court. What Roger needs is a coach who instills belief and fire in him, you can hear it in his interviews but I feel he really needs to assert it on court. There was a time when players used to fear playing him, now I feel it has shifted, mainly due to his demeanour. He doubts himself and his shots, and doesnt look as confident as he was say in 2004.

I personally still really like Lungren, he exudes his passion openly and he has a good flair for the game.

Grigor Dimitrov & David Goffin - The future of tennis

Allez - Jerzy Janowicz, Jose Acasuso , Lleyton, Djokovic, Nalbandian, Clement, Nicolas Almagro, Stanislas Wawrinka

Ai Se Eu Te Pego - Michel Telo
oneandonlyhsn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:40 AM   #10
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Federer showed how to attack the net in the modern game at the Australian Open of all places. He attacked the net wonderfully the entire tournament there. Despite not having his serve, the rest of his game was on full display. Flattened strokes taken early followed by forays into net.

Simply put, Federer is afraid of going to net against Nadal because of the ridiculous passing shots Nadal hits. Federer's favorite approach is the FH DTL to a right-handed player's BH. This shot goes to Nadal's FH and Nadal comes up with crazy winners with it. Therefore you have Fed's favorite approach neutralized. He had some good approaches today but Nadal came up with crazy winners. If you look at the stats, Federer won the last set and only came to net 2 or 3 times. Fed has great hands at net and I have seen him every type of volley imaginable. The problem is that he doesn't cover the net all that well (something he admitted to when first working with Roche) and doesn't have great net instincts of where the ball is going on the passing shot. He hesitates and on important points doesn't trust himself or fully believe in himself at net.

Fed showed how to beat Nadal from the baseline in Shanghai where he controlled the points with his FH. He was NOT pushed around like he was today and he returned serve at lot better. Very few dumps into net and weak returns where Nadal's 1st FH would pummel the ball and run Federer from side-to-side. He was also successful in Hamburg by taking the FH early band being aggressive with it. Pushing the ball like he did will earn him losses on all surfaces.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:35 AM   #11
country flag Fedex

Fedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan View Post

Simply put, Federer is afraid of going to net against Nadal because of the ridiculous passing shots Nadal hits. Federer's favorite approach is the FH DTL to a right-handed player's BH. This shot goes to Nadal's FH and Nadal comes up with crazy winners with it. Therefore you have Fed's favorite approach neutralized. He had some good approaches today but Nadal came up with crazy winners. If you look at the stats, Federer won the last set and only came to net 2 or 3 times. Fed has great hands at net and I have seen him every type of volley imaginable. The problem is that he doesn't cover the net all that well (something he admitted to when first working with Roche) and doesn't have great net instincts of where the ball is going on the passing shot. He hesitates and on important points doesn't trust himself or fully believe in himself at net.
Well, tell me who really does have great instincts at the net? It seems to me, it is more of a guessing game once you get up there. You either cover the right shot or you dont.It's especially tough with Nadal because he disguises his passing shots so well. Federer seemed to cover the net pretty well yesterday, though. He was passed on a number of times, yes, but he also made some tremedous shoe string drop volleys.
I do agree with you that he doesn't believe in his volleying. He can be indecisive up there at times, and you cant afford to do that against Nadal.
I would love for Roger to come to the net alot more, because I think its a great weapon that he has, but it just isn't practical anymore, not even on grass. With the slower conditions and the newer raquets, guys just pass to well to come in alot. I mean, why would Federer change a winning formula. When he was a younger player he used to serve-volley and come in a lot more, but the results weren't there obviously. I think it will be interesting to see how he plays at the Open. Thats one tournement, that I believe you can still be agressive and come to net.

Last edited by Fedex : 07-09-2007 at 10:41 AM.
Fedex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:43 AM   #12
country flag Fedex

Fedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoes View Post
I'm going with Cahill as the choice
I think Cahill would be a good coach, but I prefer him in the commentary booth to be honest.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:27 AM   #13
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Is that Roger say anything about he want a coach?
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:54 PM   #14
country flag Eden
# Support the Swiss

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

tennis2tennis posted the following on GM:

Quote:
Roger’s dad Robert was on swiss radio sdf this morning he said that roger has someone in mind, but the person has stopped coaching for quite a time, He said he’s not going to name the person roger is pursuing because it wouldn't be fair.
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:05 PM   #15
country flag rofe

rofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard rumors that Steffi's former coach may be a likely candidate. He is supposed to be a no nonsense type of guy. Anyone know more about him?
rofe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote