"Indoor" season 2008 - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-09-2008, 08:32 AM   #46
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Indoor" season 2008

There are a few highlights on the ATP website (at the end of the "Wednesday Highlights") - he says he's "very proud of this win" because it was "a nightmare for me on the court".
http://www.atptennis.com/en/multimed...sp?videoid=801
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2008, 09:09 AM   #47
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdany View Post
I also think that sexy Radek is the favourite here but who knows...
I agree. Stepanek seems to me a very dangerous match-up for Gael.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:01 PM   #48
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Frenchman Gael Monfils defeated Czech Radek Stepanek 6-4, 6-3 at the Austrian Open on Thursday to set up a quarter-final clash with second seed Fernando Gonzalez, while third seed Juan Martin Del Potro was forced to withdraw with a foot injury.
Eighth-seeded Monfils produced an athletic performance and always looked the better player against an opponent that was persistent but prone to error, especially off his forehand.
Although Stepanek earned the first break to lead 4-2, Monfils immediately broke back and then broke again to lead 5-4 when Stepanek sent a forehand long.
Monfils then made a perfect start to the second set, earning break point with a lob and then breaking when Stepanek made another forehand error.
Although Monfils faced two break points when leading 3-2 he held off the challenge, and then broke again for the match when Stepanek netted a backhand volley.
"I think today I played very solid," said Monfils. "I'm very happy because I had good focus during the match. Radek is a tough player and I think my tactic today was very good. I tried to keep him very far on his baseline because he can be very dangerous inside the court."

3rd match of the day tomorrow against Gonzalez, the Eurosport coverage starts at 16.30, so it might be just the right time for his match.
They've never played before.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:01 PM   #49
country flag Truc

He doesn't play much because he's injured or sick all the time, but when he plays, he's been doing quite well since the French Open, not many early exits, except at the N.-American Masters Series.

SF in Paris, SF in Nottingham, QF in Beijing, R4 in NY, SF in Bangkok and at least QF in Vienna. He just messed up the 2 Masters Series (Andreev in Toronto and retirement against Haas in Cincy). That's quite consistent for him.

Last edited by Truc : 10-10-2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:48 AM   #50
country flag Truc

In l’Equipe:
Quote:
MONFILS DÉFIE GONZALEZ. – Souffrant du cou depuis trois jours, Gaël Monfils n’en a pas moins expédié Radek Stepanek hier au deuxième tour à Vienne (6-4, 6-3) : « Une fois que j’ai été mené 4-2, ça a vraiment été bien. Franchement, je ne l’ai pas laissé jouer. » Et la nuque ? « Mercredi soir, j’ai été bien manipulé sur les cervicales, ça a dû craquer trois, quatre fois. Et là, ça allait. » Et l’épaule, cause de son forfait à Tokyo la semaine dernière ? « Ça tient bien aussi. Faut dire que je suis très concentré sur elle. Je mets de la glace et puis il y a l’acupuncture, les massages et les anti-inflammatoires. » Et Fernando Gonzalez (12e), aujourd’hui en quarts ? « Ça va être chaud, il joue sa place au Masters…»
The match: “From 4-2 on, it was really good. Frankly, I didn’t let him play.”
The neck: “I got a good cervical manipulation on Wednesday evening, it cracked 3-4 times. And I was OK today.”
The shoulder: “It’s holding up too. But I’m really taking care of it. I put ice on it, plus the acupuncture, the massages, the anti-inflammatory treatment.”
Gonzo: “It’s going to be tough, he’s playing for his qualification for the Masters Cup…”

Last edited by Truc : 10-10-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:56 AM   #51
country flag Truc

The highlights with Gaël on fire at the net (relatively speaking):
http://www.atptennis.com/en/multimed...sp?videoid=805

Last edited by Truc : 10-10-2008 at 06:14 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:05 PM   #52
country flag amdany

amdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond repute

what would we do without you Fran
amdany is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:05 PM   #53
country flag Truc

Eighth seed Gael Monfils upset number two Fernando Gonzalez of Chile 6-3 7-6 on Friday to advance to the semi-finals of the Vienna Open.
The 22-year-old Frenchman put in a gutsy performance, saving seven out of eight break points before dominating the tiebreak 7-2.
Monfils, a former junior world number one, is through to his fourth semi-final of the year but is yet to reach a final in 2008.
"I am very happy because I was focused from the first ball to the last. I tried to be aggressive because he (Gonzalez) is a fighter who becomes dangerous if you let him play."

He'll become #20 with that semi-final. Career high (and no points to defend until Miami next year).
Together with his 3 mates in the top 20 - elle est pas belle, la vie?

The match report on the tournament website is quite enthusiastic. It cracks me up because they always call him "the darling of the public Gaël Monfils". He was quite popular too two years ago when he had a nice run out of the blue in Pörtschach, Austria agrees with him.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:07 PM   #54
country flag Truc

But Kohli was very convincing too today according to the reports.
It will be their first match on the tour, but I remember they played each other in the final of the French interclubs 2 years ago and Kohli won.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:17 PM   #55
country flag lisaplenske

lisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond repute

well I watched the second set today on eurosport and seems like gael is relax and in total control of his game.
Ah ah ah gonzalez was furious!
if gael keep that form he can pass his next opponent but also has a shot for the title,he's the last seeded player there...
Allez!

Tsonga - Simon - Monfils - Mathieu - Chardy - Baghdatis
Mannarino - Safin - Santoro - Gulbis- Nishikori
lisaplenske is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:55 PM   #56
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
The match report on the tournament website is quite enthusiastic. It cracks me up because they always call him "the darling of the public Gaël Monfils". He was quite popular too two years ago when he had a nice run out of the blue in Pörtschach, Austria agrees with him.
No doubt, the best match of the day. The crowd was not on his side at the start, only when he played really well, they started warming up to him, but I would not call him the "darling of the tourney", even if I did my best, believe me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
But Kohli was very convincing too today according to the reports.
The second most beautiful single-handed BH of the game, but Verdasco was crap for large parts of the match.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:26 AM   #57
country flag Truc

In l'Equipe today:
Quote:
Monfils avec sérieux
Le Français est resté concentré jusqu’au bout pour éliminer un Fernando Gonzalez passablement agité.

FERNANDO GONZALEZ a déjà perdu le premier set 6-3, face à Gaël Monfils qui n’a pas fait une faute. Le finaliste des Jeux Olympiques de Pékin, très autoritaire sur ses propres jeux de service, mène 5-4, service Monfils, 30-0. Le Chilien n’a sûrement pas digéré les deux paires de balles de break gâchées au deuxième et sixième jeu et, tout à coup, il tente de fracasser sa raquette une première, puis une deuxième et même une troisième fois, sur le sol. Furieux, il conserve son outil de travail pourtant plus très fiable, pour continuer un match dont il sort l’espace de sept points. Le temps de se faire breaker.
Avec une raquette neuve, il arrive pourtant à prendre enfin le service de Monfils. 6-6. « Enfin », car Monfils aura tout de même sauvé sept des huit balles de break obtenues jusqu’alors par Gonzalez. Dans le tie-break, le Français est impérial. Il s’offre six balles de match, en laisse passer deux et tue le match après 1 h 42. Il fallait ça. Gaël Monfils savait qu’au deuxième tour, face à Ernests Gulbis, Gonzalez avait sauvé pas moins de cinq balles de match. La tête de série no 2 du tableau s’en était sorti également de justesse au premier tour face à l’Italien Simone Bolelli (4-6, 7-6, 6-1). À l’évidence, dans l’optique d’atteindre les demi-finales, Gonzalez était prêt à tout, comme en témoigne son dernier accès de colère à 5-0 contre lui dans le tie-break. Geste qui fut cette fois fatal à sa raquette et qui lui valut un avertissement. La morale était sauve.
« J’ai un objectif mais je le garde pour moi »
Mais Gonzalez avait de quoi être nerveux. Onzième à la Race à l’entame du tournoi, sept points derrière Stanislas Wawrinka, il avait eu la bonne surprise de voir tomber d’entrée son rival suisse, classé juste devant lui. Mais pour s’offrir le tournoi, il ne fallait pas tomber sur Gaël Monfils en quarts. En tout cas pas hier, car le Français fit un match quasi parfait, remportant 38 des 49 points disputés sur ses premières balles et alignant six aces.
« Je suis content de mon match, confia Monfils à la sortie du court. J’ai été solide du début à la fin. Sur le jeu de service que je perds à 6-5, c’est lui qui a vraiment bien joué. Gonzalez l’a bien mérité, ce jeu. Il a été un peu énervé, il a tenté un peu plus et il n’y a rien à dire sur ça. » Quant au tiebreak, « je suis resté agressif. Je me mets en position de mener 6-0, en jouant six points superbes – dont un coup droit sauté, rare, à 3-0 – et voilà ».
Même s’il est sorti avec le sentiment d’avoir surclassé son adversaire, Monfils raconte : « Parfois, c’était chaud ! Fernando, il se bat tout le temps. C’était jeu de service sur jeu de service. J’ai été bon sur service-coup droit. Je suis satisfait. » À plusieurs reprises, Monfils, qui restait sur quelques frustrations (douleurs à l’épaule la semaine dernière qui l’obligèrent à renoncer au tournoi de Tokyo, douleurs à la nuque durant les trois premiers jours du tournoi), montra une belle maîtrise de la balle en jouant un tennis tout en variations. Une impression qu’il n’a pas du tout ressentie, lui, sur le court :« Je n’ai pas trop cherché à ralentir aujourd’hui. J’ai plutôt joué long et solide », affirma le Français, qui n’a pas du tout la tête à la fantaisie et ne se laisse pas démonter, ni par un ongle d’orteil cassé net en plein match, ni par les projecteurs qui, d’un côté du court, pouvaient aveugler les joueurs. Battu trois fois cette année en demi-finales – à Roland-Garros (Federer), Nottingham (Karlovic) et Bangkok (Tsonga), Gaël Monfils veut aller plus loin. « À chaque fois que je dispute un tournoi, c’est pour le gagner. » Mais il refuse absolument de dévoiler son objectif : « J’en ai un mais je le garde pour moi. » On imagine que l’actuel 28e mondial rêve de soulever un beau trophée d’ici à la fin de l’année (il n’a gagné qu’un titre dans sa carrière, en 2005, à Sopot). Aujourd’hui, il lui faudra battre l’Allemand Kohlschreiber (32e), tombeur de Verdasco hier : « Il m’a déjà battu une fois, se souvient le Français. En Interclubs, il y a trois ans. Il est très bon, chiant à jouer. Ce sera encore un vrai combat. »
DOMINIQUE BONNOT
Old 10-11-2008, 08:44 AM   #58
country flag Truc

The first part is a description of the match and how mad Gonzo was [it was quite shocking indeed, I was impressed by Gaël's focus, but Gonzo on the other hand really was . They say he finally got a warning at 5-0 in the tiebreak because his racquet was destroyed this time - but he was lucky the chair umpire hadn't said anything before, I often find the warnings ridiculous, but his racquet smashing was getting out of control yesterday.]
Gonzo had his reasons to be nervous too: Vienna was a good opportunity to climb back into contention in the Race after Wawrinka's first round exit, but it was bad luck for him to play Gaël yesterday in the QF as Gaël played an almost perfect match, winning 38 of 49 points on his first serve.
Gaël means he was very solid during the whole match. When Gonzo broke back at 6-5 in the 2nd set, he deserved to win that game, he took more risks and it paid off. But Gaël kept playing aggressive tennis in the TB, played "six superb points" with a not common jumped FH shot at 3-0 "- et voilà".
He left the court with the feeling he had been better than his opponent, but "it was close! Fernando fights all the time. My serve-FH combination worked well. I'm satisfied."
The journalist says he mixed up his game very well, varying the pace a lot, but Gaël didn't have that impression on the court: "I didn't try to slow down the game today. I was rather playing deep and solid."
He has lost 3 times in a semi this year, so it's time for a final: "Everytime I play a tournament, I want to win it."
He has a goal, but doesn't want to talk about it.
And about Kohli he says: "He already beat me once. In Interclubs 3 years ago [it was in 2006, actually]. He's very good, tough to play. It will be another big fight."

Last edited by Truc : 10-11-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:18 PM   #59
country flag Truc

He has a decent draw in Madrid, Fognini in the 1st round and then Gonzo again:
http://www.mutuamad-mastersmadrid.co...s/2008/MDS.pdf
Old 10-11-2008, 03:44 PM   #60
country flag Tess Gray

Tess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond repute

Good win against Kohli today! The match was very close but in the end I think Gael deserved to win. The way he squandered those three matchpoints at *6-5 *sigh* But in the end he could close it out easily in the final set tiebreaker
Tess Gray is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote