News thread - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-03-2009, 09:33 AM   #91
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News thread

Quote:
WORLD No.7 Gilles Simon admits he lacks a killer instinct after struggling to dispose of Chinese Taipei's Yen-Hsun Lu on the opening day of Perth's Hopman Cup.

Simon admitted he lost concentration after taking the first set 6-3 and racing to a 3-1 lead in the second set against his 64th-ranked opponent.

Lu capitalised on Simon's lapse and took the second set into a tiebreak, where Simon recovered from a nervous start to eventually prevail 8-6 to clinch the tie for France.

"I played great tennis and then when I was 6-3 3-1 up I just lost my concentration and he played better," Simon said.

"I'm a little bit lucky because I think I should have lost the second set."

Simon beat the likes of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic in 2008 but failed to make it past the third round in any of the four grand slams.

It is a sore point the 24-year-old is keen to atone for in 2009.

"Of course (I need to become more consistent) because I don't have to spend more time on the court when it's not necessary," Simon said.

"So if you can win a match 6-3 6-2 you have to do it, not 6-3 7-6 ... I have to stay focused on the match every time.

"I never want to win 6-2 6-1, I don't know why.

"Sometimes I feel like I can do better and I don't know why I'm doing this.

"I think I just like to fight on the court. I prefer to win like this.

"When there's no fight, it's hard for me to have the killer instinct."
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23216,00.html

Is the video worth the hassle of looking for an Australian pr.o.xy? Or is it just a few seconds?
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #92
country flag but-it's-ok

but-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond repute

I think with Gilles there's a lot of kidology I don't know if he plays poker but I don't think I want to risk it

Though it seems he does geniunely lack a ruthless streak at the moment, especially appearing not to have a burning desire to win every point, (except it seems when the score gets tight) but then he's not alone. However through not having this,it could affect the longevity of his career by taking longer to finish matches off.

'Fighting' when he could take a little more care to finish things off quicker saps energy,mentally and physically. Its good he has the fighting mentality but when it interferes with the time it takes to win a match,this is what makes me a little frustrated with him at times. I hope he can sort it out

Cheering forNole Gilles Tomas Dima Grisha Delpo Stan Fed Nando GGL Domi
Thanks for the memories Juan Carlos!

Anci Petra Maria Sharapova Sabine Thanks for the memories Kim
Norwich City Football Club
but-it's-ok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #93
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

I think he probably thinks too much on court. He takes the first set to properly assess and analyse his opponents game and knows what he has to do to raise his game just ever so slightly above theirs - so he has fewer choices in the second and can play lovely Zen tennis. I worry now when he wins the first set of any match as it's harder for him as he already has the advantage of a set. He has more choices and starts thinking too much hence the second set slump.
Or maybe I'm just talking sh1te

Gillou ~~~~~ & ~~~~~ Andy
MsTree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:46 AM   #94
country flag but-it's-ok

but-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ictmee View Post
I think he probably thinks too much on court. He takes the first set to properly assess and analyse his opponents game and knows what he has to do to raise his game just ever so slightly above theirs - so he has fewer choices in the second and can play lovely Zen tennis. I worry now when he wins the first set of any match as it's harder for him as he already has the advantage of a set. He has more choices and starts thinking too much hence the second set slump.
Les,your points are well made

Cheering forNole Gilles Tomas Dima Grisha Delpo Stan Fed Nando GGL Domi
Thanks for the memories Juan Carlos!

Anci Petra Maria Sharapova Sabine Thanks for the memories Kim
Norwich City Football Club
but-it's-ok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #95
country flag tedlesurfeur

tedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ictmee View Post
These things are so hard to explain, because on court you're not the only one it depends on. It's a subtle alchemy of trying to find the right measure of "zen" (as you call it) and still keeping on the dictating play. Like you, I think Gilles has trouble adjusting his game when he won the first set and has to finish the match, but my guess is it comes from the fact that he's facing different opponents.
tedlesurfeur is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:37 AM   #96
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
A tough mixed doubles loss for the French, but they are still in it, having lost that match. But Alize, a great mixed doubles, but they were just a little bit too tough.
(Alize) Yeah, we had our chances and we just break in the second set. So we could win the second set, but unfortunately they played better today and congratulations to the Italians. They were really good today. And yeah, we’re disappointed of course. But it’s okay, we still have our chance to go in finals so we will try our best in two days.

You played very well in the singles. You’ve gotta be pretty happy with that performance?

(Alize) Yeah, of course I’m happy. I played good in singles, but you know the most important in this competition is to win the match. You know the team has to win the match, and we lost today. So even if I did well in my singles, I’m really sad over our defeat today.

Well a tough mixed doubles, but a tough singles for you Gilles. You started off in a pretty flat state today after the other day?
(Gilles) Yes, I was not moving like usually. But it’s because I practised a long time during the last day, so I start to be tired. But I, I think I rest tomorrow and I will be ok for, for the Russians.

Well the tactics that Simone used against you today, the little slice backhand, that sort of gave you some trouble?
(Gilles) No, I really improved these kind of shots. But I really need my legs to, to do a, what I have to do to, to fix it. And unfortunately today, was not moving very good.
http://hopmancup.com/?id=713&NewsId=207
Old 01-06-2009, 09:21 AM   #97
country flag lisaplenske

lisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond repute

gilles

so now what France has to do to reach the finale?is it still possible?

I like alize cause she speaks as 2,they're a team and didnt say a word about gilles loss there.IF he beat bolleli,they would be the groupe leader but well hopefully they will be able to beat russia.
It will be tough but ALLEZ!

Tsonga - Simon - Monfils - Mathieu - Chardy - Baghdatis
Mannarino - Safin - Santoro - Gulbis- Nishikori
lisaplenske is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #98
country flag Truc

Is "poulette" really a nickname of Alizé, lisa? I just saw that in an article (La défaite pour poussin et poulette).
Old 01-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #99
country flag lisaplenske

lisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond repute

Well dont know but it is less cute than "poussin"

lol

Tsonga - Simon - Monfils - Mathieu - Chardy - Baghdatis
Mannarino - Safin - Santoro - Gulbis- Nishikori
lisaplenske is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #100
country flag rtgy

rtgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_is_onUSA View Post
I hope that Gilles plays better against the Russians. I worry that if he does not play well in HC, that such will be another reason to keep him off of the DC team. Could his not playing well at HC give him more of a reputation that he's not a good "team player?"
well I've the same worries like you Alli ..................maybe he really isn't a good "team player' after all

Quote:
I do have to admit that I'm getting over HC already... (I know- bad, bad Alli). I was really excited to see him for the first time this season, but I'm more of an ATP tournament kind of fan. My individual, killer instinct side seems to outweigh my togetherness, team spirit side.

....I must say that HC isn't my favorite type of tournament indeed, but still I really enjoy it at the moment /except for today of course/

ahhh........................great new La Poulailler part of your sig..................
rtgy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #101
country flag Truc

No, don't worry because of that, nobody cares about the Hopman Cup in France, everybody is well aware it's just an exhibition and he's still in the middle of his preparation. It has no consequences for the Davis Cup.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:45 PM   #102
country flag Truc

On Canal+ tomorrow:
Quote:
Gilles Simon : Un documentaire sur le tennisman à suivre sur Canal+

Le samedi 10 janvier 2009 à 15h55, Canal+ vous proposera de suivre un documentaire sur le tennisman français, Gilles Simon, réalisé par David Barouh.
En attendant l’Open d’Australie diffusé en direct sur les antennes de Canal+ du 19 janvier au 1er février, Intérieur Sport propose un portrait du tennisman français, Gilles Simon.
Dans une interview accordée à David Barouh, il revient sur ses débuts, sur la rapidité de son ascension, aujourd'hui 6ème mondial, et notamment sur son état d’esprit au moment d’aborder les matches.
En ce début d’année, il nous parle également de ses objectifs qui commenceront dès le 19 janvier à Melbourne.
David Barouh revient aussi sur le parcours du jeune Français à travers les interviews de ses différents entraîneurs depuis ses débuts à l’âge de 6 ans.
The Intérieur Sport reports usually are available on the Net then (the one about Gaël in Monte-Carlo last year was really great, so it might be worth seeing):
http://www.canalplus.fr/index.php?pid=2708

Last edited by Truc : 01-09-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #103
country flag Truc

According to L'Equipe, the report also shows him playing the piano, I NEED to see this video.

LES CLÉS DE GILLES SIMON.– Sixième tennisman mondial, Gilles Simon est portraituré dans Intérieur Sport (Canal +, 15 h 35). L’ancien élève du Conservatoire montre qu’il n’a rien perdu de son doigté, exécutant au piano l’intro de "Song for a Guy", d’Elton John. Tombeur l’an passé de Roger Federer (à Toronto puis au Masters) et de Rafael Nadal (chez lui, à Madrid), Simon livre la clé de son secret : « C’est simple de jouer ces joueurs là, parce que tu joues à fond. Tu joues ton attaque à fond, tu frappes de toutes tes forces. Si elle est bonne, tant mieux ; si elle est faute, t’es pas déçu parce que tu te dis que si t’avais pris moins de risques, de toute façon, t’aurais pas gagné le point. »

Last edited by Truc : 01-10-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:29 PM   #104
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

Might it be shown on one of the Canal channels listed here?
http://www.onlinesports24.com/p2p/index-1.htm

Gillou ~~~~~ & ~~~~~ Andy
MsTree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #105
country flag Keijan

Keijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond reputeKeijan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
According to L'Equipe, the report also shows him playing the piano, I NEED to see this video.

I only saw the last 10 minutes since I thought it was beginning at 15:55. He played the Panthère Rose (English ?) on the piano and was so totally showing off while he did From what I saw he spoke a lot about his 2008 year and the Youzhny match in Indian Wells after which he stayed in his room for 4 days, only watching the celling, and the Federer/Nadal/Masters matchs. Tutu was very cute too, saying that it was nearly love between them I think the beginning was about his junior years and the fact nobody believed in him except for a few people.

I can't wait to see it whole The Monfils one a few months ago was totally awesome (I'm actually trying to put it on youtube but I have trouble changing it to a normal .avi...) I really like those reports. Thanks for mentionning Gilles was going to be inside, Truc
Keijan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote