News thread - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-21-2008, 08:21 AM   #61
country flag rtgy

rtgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
Cornetto says in L'Equipe that Gilles is "really strange". But she can't wait for the Hopman Cup.
« Pour l’ambiance, c’est carrément super de jouer avec Gilles. Il chambre pas mal. Il va bien me faire ch… Mais ce n’est pas grave, on va essayer de se supporter. (Rires.) On s’aime bien, mais il a vraiment un caractère hyper bizarre et drôle. Je pense qu’on va bien s’éclater. »
“For the ambiance, it’s really great to play with Gilles. He teases quite a lot. He will certainly give me a hard time. But never mind, we will try to put with each other (she laughs). We like each other, but he really has a very strange, funny character. I think we’re going to have fun.”

Mika said that too when he was asked about Gilles like the entire French tennis after the Seb and Bennet comments - he said Gilles is "particulier" (a bit odd) and has a "special sense of humour", but he has no problem with him. He must really be a bit disconcerting sometimes.

rtgy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2008, 08:30 AM   #62
country flag gambit84

gambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News thread

strange Gillu
Old 12-21-2008, 06:27 PM   #63
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

The audio interviews:
http://www.fft.fr/action/masters-france/?ID=4483

Mika says it's just a little muscular problem. Not as bad as the injury he had at the end of the year (a problem with the nerve). The balls were too heavy and he really was in pain. He could only serve at 50-60% of his abilities in the 2nd set. But since he was playing very well otherwise, he was still able to break Gilles.
He says it was a nice event, everybody played the game and gave their best effort in his opinion.

Gilles says his attitude was really poor today. He played 2 good first matches, yesterday was not a good match, but at least he was ready to fight, while his attitude on the court today sucked, he was struggling to find his motivation. But since he hates to lose, he can always rely on a "sudden burst of pride" in the last moment.
He liked the event, he thinks the number of matches is perfect for a preparation tournament.

Last edited by Truc : 12-21-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:00 PM   #64
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Another interview:
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2...-de-simon.html

The beginning is like the audio interview.
He could have done much better today, it's his fault, he lost his focus for no reason when he was up 5-1.

He isn't worried about his condition for next year, he knows he has a great stamina. He is more worried about the fact that he couldn't practice the way he wanted. He really needs training slots of 2-3 weeks. He wishes he could have spent 3 weeks working on his netgame every day. That's more the problem for him than the condition training. For the rest he feels ready.

He can't improve much in his defensive game, so he has to improve in the other departments. His serve was not so good against Marco, good against Ouanna and Bennet, but really bad today, he now is able to hit more than 10 aces in a match, but he still is very inconsistent.

The few wins at the Masters France are good for his confidence, though, since he beat 3 players ranked in the top 50 and Josse who is better than his ranking. Always a good thing to be able to win against these players without playing well. He lost his focus against Bennet and Mika, but he felt more solid than them tenniswise, so it's encouraging.

Last edited by Truc : 12-21-2008 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:56 AM   #65
country flag turtle-rn

turtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Gilles says his attitude was really poor today.
This is becoming a habit of late.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

turtle-rn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:37 AM   #66
country flag Truc

He sure doesn't make a very fresh impression mentally for a guy who is returning from his winter break!

I do believe him when he says he has recovered better than most people think and he feels physically fit for the next season already. I don't think he needs long periods of progressive condition training like Richard or Jo, for example, who get injured more often, Jo also gains weight as soon as he stops playing and needs to get back in shape little by little then - Gilles doesn't have this problem and is used to play a lot, he always does during the off season when he isn't playing in Shanghai (the Interclubs), etc.
So I believe him when he says the shorter condition training shouldn't be an issue for him.

But he was supposed to do a lot of muscle building exercises for his upper body to have more strength for his serve, when did he find the time to do that? They always complain they can't do it when he's playing tournaments because it would be too hard on his body (Mika says he was not the only one to feel pain in the arm and Gilles also was complaining about it after a few matches in Toulouse, so he certainly has to cut down on the "body building" part when he plays these exhibition events).

It really would have been better for him to skip both the Masters France and the Hopman Cup imo to have more time to work on his serve and his volley and to relax mentally.

I think he also has too much scruples about withdrawing from French events, he plays these events even when he's in no shape to play them. He was really sick in Marseille this year, it was obvious he had a fever. Monte-Carlo was plain embarrassing, everybody else would have withdrawn. In Metz he wasn't ready yet, it was too early after the Bucharest title. In Lyon he was exhausted, I know it was for the Race too, but he also said he wasn't injured and hence had no reason to pull out. And Toulouse really came too early for him after Shanghai, he admits he would need 3 weeks of training. I don't think it was just for the money if he played there.

Last edited by Truc : 12-22-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:46 AM   #67
country flag Grenouille

Grenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond repute

The good thing is that he was really good on important points. He saved very well some breakpoints throughout the match and in the tiebreaker, he saved the matchpoint being very agressive and won the following point serving and going to the net. I liked this attitude a lot.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:40 PM   #68
country flag turtle-rn

turtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, good thing he kept his fighting spirit but I was talking more about the emotional side of his attitude. I didn't watch any of his matches in Toulouse but from the comments I have been reading on the livescore board, he looked quite often irritated and frustrated which obviously didn't help his game. Watching him play in Madrid, I was really impressed by the way he handled mental tension and pressure, being relaxed and smiling while his focus was almost unshakable. It seemed he definitely reached a new step in this aspect of the game, so it was kind of a setback to see him throwing tantrums (and racquets) in Bercy or Shanghai, losing concentration (and eventually losing matches). Things didn't seem to have improved in Toulouse although he did win his matches.

@Fran : He used to say that playing matches was his prefered way of training although he knew that it would not be enough, that he had to consider a more professional attitude about training, physical fitness and all to become a better player; maybe he is trying to find some sort of a balance that would work for him ? Mixing what he likes and what he doesn't like to do?
I'm no expert on this field but as for the workouts bit, it can't be a matter of a few weeks, it has to be a regular exercise on a long-term basis to show some effectiveness. (Or so I am told. )

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

turtle-rn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:11 PM   #69
country flag lisaplenske

lisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Cornetto says in L'Equipe that Gilles is "really strange". But she can't wait for the Hopman Cup.
« Pour l’ambiance, c’est carrément super de jouer avec Gilles. Il chambre pas mal. Il va bien me faire ch… Mais ce n’est pas grave, on va essayer de se supporter. (Rires.) On s’aime bien, mais il a vraiment un caractère hyper bizarre et drôle. Je pense qu’on va bien s’éclater. »
“For the ambiance, it’s really great to play with Gilles. He teases quite a lot. He will certainly give me a hard time. But never mind, we will try to put with each other (she laughs). We like each other, but he really has a very strange, funny character. I think we’re going to have fun.”

Mika said that too when he was asked about Gilles like the entire French tennis after the Seb and Bennet comments - he said Gilles is "particulier" (a bit odd) and has a "special sense of humour", but he has no problem with him. He must really be a bit disconcerting sometimes.

cant wait for the hopman cup too I think they can win it all cause they make a great team.
Not easy but hope for them to have some fun there.
Alize knows gilles because of their sponsor right?
Fran do you know which channel will broadcast the HC?

Tsonga - Simon - Monfils - Mathieu - Chardy - Baghdatis
Mannarino - Safin - Santoro - Gulbis- Nishikori
lisaplenske is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:31 PM   #70
country flag Truc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaplenske View Post
cant wait for the hopman cup too I think they can win it all cause they make a great team.
Not easy but hope for them to have some fun there.
Alize knows gilles because of their sponsor right?
Fran do you know which channel will broadcast the HC?

Maybe it's an idea of their sponsor indeed, but I remember Alizé said in her "journal" of the Olympic Games for Tennis Magazine that she didn't know Gilles before and was glad to get to know him better there since they were supposed to play the Hopman Cup together.

I have no idea for the TV coverage, sorry.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:05 PM   #71
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

It's on Aussie ABC and Fox Sports apparently. There's bound to be streaming!

Gillou ~~~~~ & ~~~~~ Andy
MsTree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:04 PM   #72
country flag but-it's-ok

but-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond repute

Sky Sports has been showing it in recent years,but they tend not to show it from the very beginning of the competition, and its never been live on there. They show it in the evenings, it has been a 3 hour slot usually 2 or 3 days into the tournament.

I love the Hopman Cup, its a brilliant idea Gilles and Alize should have a lot of fun off the court too I know Perth,its a beautiful city

Cheering forNole Gilles Tomas Dima Grisha Delpo Stan Fed Nando GGL Domi
Thanks for the memories Juan Carlos!

Anci Petra Maria Sharapova Sabine Thanks for the memories Kim
Norwich City Football Club
but-it's-ok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:34 AM   #73
country flag tedlesurfeur

tedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond repute

News. (l'Equipe mainly)

Nicolas Mahut is injured (right shoulder injury) and doesn't know when he will come back on courts. Grosjean is injured. Llodra is injured. Clement isn't injured anymore, until the next injury, ha. Tsonga.. which half of 2009 will he pick ?? ha ha. The French team is quite funny. Gillou is the only one to be healthy, ha ha.

Mary Pierce won't retire unless she feels she has to. She doesn't "feel it" in her heart. In the meantime, she's devoting her time to prayers and god. (« Ma vie, c'est l'Eglise »). She suffers a whole lot when she runs. She can only play for a tiny amount of time (not more than 30 minutes)
I think this is it.
tedlesurfeur is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:16 AM   #74
country flag gambit84

gambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond repute

I really can't understand Mary Pierce. She had a great career but is so clear her time is gone, but if you have again so many energies to give why not focus them in something different?
why for a champion is so hard to say stop?
I have not a great tennis memory because I'm quite young but one of the few who said stop when she was on top and not totally down was Steffie, after a major won and a final reached.
But in the reality so many great players have problems to retire..is only for their love for money?I don't think because if you don't win you don't get (and sponsor is a parallel speech)...probably is just for their needing emotion that only court can give and if you're not one of them you can only imagine but not at all
Old 12-29-2008, 02:50 PM   #75
country flag Grenouille

Grenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is hard for injured top players to say stop: Seles, Pierce, Capriati... It's not like if they had decided to stop by themselves because they are fed up with tennis, on the contrary, their bodies said stop, it's hard to accept.