News thread - Page 13 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-20-2009, 11:32 PM   #181
country flag Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
Maybe they can't show the alternates because they don't know who's gonna show? It sounds like Jo is still not in London yet and of course the 2nd alternate is not yet committed. Last year, from what they said, Sexy was vacationing already when they called him and he got to Shanghai quite last minute and w/o his luggage or sth, I guess must be the same for Kiwi then since he's ranked even lower than Sexy and probably got the call even later? I found it quite annoying that for a prestigious event like the YEC (or WTF if you prefer ), the guys are so reluctant to participate. The injured I can understand, and I know the alternates more often than not don't get to play, but still. Just go there and pocket like $50K and watch some tennis is not so hard, is it? And if they don't get to play, they can just think of it as a paid vacation .
but I suppose if you are a pro player then you normally only get a 6 weeks off season tops. (exos etc start over new year) so if you are spending 4 weeks maybe preparing for the new season, you might only get 2 weeks holiday. I'm guessing the off time is pretty precious and they would prefer to spend it in the sun somewhere rather than in rainy old England. Also people like sexy will be preparing for DC finals.
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2009, 12:07 AM   #182
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

I do understand Sexy wanting to prepare for DC, that's far more important.

I think I'm just a bit disappointed that others don't see the value of YEC. I mean, as fans, I think it's quite exciting at the end of the year we all cheer for our favorites to get to YEC, because it's only the very top players get to go, it's a privilege to be involved. And if you are just outsides the top 8 and still see it as an honor to get invited, then that's how the fans will see it too. But last year, no one wants to go and ended up a player ranked in the 20s and another in the 30s went. That suddenly made the fans (or just me) feel that being an alternate has no value. I do understand that the off-season is short and they want to get vacation and they certainly all do deserve that. I'm not judging them for not willing to go, I'm disappointed that being an alternate in the YEC has amount to nothing much anymore. It wasn't used to be like that.
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:17 AM   #183
country flag Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond repute

theres got to be the intimidation factor too though. It's actually a pretty tough comp. Verdasco's head to head with the other guys is pretty horrendous for example. I'm not sure that you'd want to go if you know you are probably going to be embarrassingly thrashed.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:38 AM   #184
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean the alternate? or the qualifiers?

I haven't thought about that. That's a good point, Tommmy (Boredo) should definitely pass if they asks him .

But this year, maybe a great year to get some win to balance out the bad H to H. Fed is definitely vulnerable, same can be said about Rafa. Nando is in relatively good shape. I think he would be okay. But then, all 8 of them are pretty beat up at this point anyway.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:41 AM   #185
country flag Cloudygirl

The alternates. I mean Tsonga's 1st alternate and he knows he would stand an ok chance of at least winning a match because he has beaten most of the top 10 players previously, Simon the same but as you said Boredo for example, why put yourself through the humiliation.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:58 AM   #186
country flag lalaland

You are right, I should look at it from their perspectives.

So going down the list:
Gonzo - injured
Sexy - DC
Gael - undecided
Cilic - declined
Gilles - injured
Tommy - for the reason we just discussed
Haas - better rest bcos he just has swine flu
Ferrer - injured
Misha - wife having baby
Berdych - DC too
Wawa - injured ?
Hewitt - injured

Well, I must say Cilic should have gone, he has no apparent reason to reject. Then again, you don't know the reason why he declined, I guess we'll have to respect his decision. Would be good if Gael decides to accept, he can keep Jo company there, but I won't fault him for wanting to spend more time with his dad.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:17 PM   #187
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Everybody turning down seems to be a new trend, I preferred it too when the next ones in the rankings just turned up and also got a bit of recognition then since it's a great achievement to finish the year so close to the top 8. Like that year with Mario and Tomas. Or I clearly remember Cañas proudly posing with the others in Houston in 2004.

I think Gilles said last year that he would have gone to Shanghai even as 2nd alternate.

Do we know now the 2nd alternate in London?
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:50 PM   #188
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

They must be still phoning round

Gillou ~~~~~ & ~~~~~ Andy
MsTree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:57 PM   #189
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Gilles isn't on the entry list of Brisbane, as expected.

There were a few lines about him today in L'Equipe, but nothing interesting. He's spending some time in Switzerland atm, will go on vacation in some sunny country, but doesn't know where yet, and he will be back for the first medical tests on the 10th of December. The doc is confident those few weeks off will help since Gilles' injuries always heal up very fast when he takes some time off.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:39 PM   #190
country flag anaquot

anaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond repute

Hawai'i is sunny
So, just saw Nice stop in ATP next year right before RG...think he an Alize will be required to play there?
Old 11-28-2009, 02:11 PM   #191
country flag Truc

Not Alizé since it's just an ATP event, but Gilles will certainly play there indeed.
Maybe not a bad thing in itself, but I don't like it doesn't really leave him the choice.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #192
country flag Truc

The French players are asked in the new Tennis Mag to give their assessment of 2009 and of their goals for 2010, and Gilles says he isn't sure to play the AO, but I have no idea how old it is:

Hard to talk about his goals for the next season since he isn't even sure yet to play the AO, the priority for now really is to get rid of the knee problem first. He just vaguely says that he will keep developping his game and he will also try to change his approach of the matches.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:43 AM   #193
country flag lalaland

Thanks Fran, for the clip. His profile shot looks great .
I remembered he said he has his first check up on the knee Dec 10th, wonder how it went, hope the healing is progressing nicely.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:14 AM   #194
country flag Naina

Naina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond repute

Every other forum is posting pics of aussie open outfits so does anyone know what Gillou is wearing??? probably wrong thread to ask
Naina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:23 AM   #195
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

We're not like every other forum though

Maybe it would be tempting fate, as we don't even know if he'll be fit for the AO yet

I would like to see him in red

Gillou ~~~~~ & ~~~~~ Andy
MsTree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote