News thread - Page 12 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #166
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News thread

I just wasted one hour of my life, the show was worse than ever. They hardly let him say anything, they all have no clue of tennis, the jokes are pathetic... Who listens to this voluntarily and what is he doing there?

He sounds a bit sick, he has a very hoarse voice, but that was on last Monday.
He doesn't say anything new about the knee. When they ask him if the idea is to play the season to the end and wait for the off-season for a possible surgery, he answers there definitely is no surgery talk.
Being a "featherweight" is an advantage for his kind of injury, it's not too tough on his knee to keep playing, he can deal with it.

When he's asked about Forget, he says it's not his fault if they didn't do very well this year and Forget will obviously remain DC captain.

A listener asks him why they always lose in the 4th round in Slams even when they are the favorites on paper. He answers people in France only hear of the French players and don't realize the opponents are very strong too, same as in Davis Cup. For example in the Jo-Gonzo match at the US Open, he doesn't read much what people write, but if people said that Jo clearly was the favourite, it definitely wasn't that obvious to him. If you look at the Race, Gonzo was ahead of Jo, he's made a Slam semi already this year, it was definitely a 50-50 story and hence not a shocking defeat.

Another listener says it's always a pleasure to listen to Gilles and they should take him on the team of the radio show. The host of the show: "no way, he's way too expensive for us, he's already earned over 3.000.000 $ prize money" - Gilles: "Oh really? " He sounds sincerely surprised and delighted to hear that, it's quite cute - but not worth listening to the whole crap.

Last edited by Truc : 09-27-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2009, 10:50 AM   #167
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

Aw Fran
Thanks for reporting back to us what he said.

Off topic a bit but I remember reading somewhere (maybe not here) someone complaining about French players living abroad so they don't have to pay tax in France on their winnings - well Greg Rudseki said recently that it was only their sponsorship money and endorsements that they pay tax on in the country where they live, and their tournament winnings are taxed at the rate of the country the tournament is played in. So the winner of Wimbledon would be taxed at the UK higher rate, which used to be 50%, I think it's 40% now - I've never earned enough to be sure of this I thought it was quite an interesting snippet and not what I took the situation to be.

Gillou ~~~~~ & ~~~~~ Andy
MsTree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:47 PM   #168
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know where to post this - and maybe it was already posted since it's old news:

He is also supposed to play the Adelaide exho (with Leconte ^^) the week before the AO:
http://www.worldtennischallenge.com/...sChallenge.htm
("Simon is known for having a powerful forehand")
Old 11-19-2009, 06:02 PM   #169
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

Happy birthday Fran

Just got in and switched on the TV - only to see lovely Gillou smiling back at me on the ATP Tour uncovered programme - I'll catch the rerun later and upload it

Old 11-19-2009, 06:35 PM   #170
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

Happy birthday Fran, hope you had a great one. And happy belated birthday to you Les.
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:43 AM   #171
country flag turtle-rn

turtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond repute

Joyeux Anniversaire Fran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
(with Leconte ^^)
I'll pretend I've never read that bit.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

turtle-rn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:59 AM   #172
country flag Truc

Oh thank you (je suis quadragénaire, gloups)!

Tulasne gives some news of Gilles in l'Equipe today. He got a phone call of the ATP yesterday in the afternoon to be 2nd alternate in London since Gaël isn't sure at all anymore and Tulasne says it was a heartbreak for him to decline. 4 more weeks of complete rest to go, he will undergo new tests then and he's supposed to resume the training on the 20th of December. He has already crossed Brisbane off his schedule, but still plans on playing that Adelaide thingie and then the AO.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #173
country flag MsTree

I'm not sure I wanted to hear that! Next year Gillou!

Old 11-20-2009, 05:15 PM   #174
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

Sexy turned them down too? He's ahead of Gilles, I didn't think Sexy would not want to go, he's not even injured. Sorry Les, but anyhow, you never get to see the 2nd alternate anyway, I don't recall seeing Kiefer at all last year.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:29 PM   #175
country flag MsTree

He didn't play but he was in the crowd! I could've taken stalking to a whole new level!

Old 11-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #176
country flag Truc

Sexy is even ahead of Gaël! But he wants to focus on the Davis Cup final.
The surprising one to me was Cilic, he is ahead of Gilles and I thought that he would come as an European.

We got to see the alternates more the year Ancic was there, they even had their own videos on the ATP website.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:42 PM   #177
country flag lalaland

They have videos for the alternates? Wow, I didn't realize. Would have like watching that Ancic one.
I just thought they don't show them cos I didn't see Kiwi at all last year. Poor Kiwi, he was taking it (for being there) so seriously too.

Ah sorry Les . he'll be there in London next year ready to be stalked .
Old 11-20-2009, 09:14 PM   #178
country flag Truc

Here's a video of Mario as an alternate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV62Q50Df1U

We got to see Mario and Tomas quite a lot when they were alternates a couple of years ago, they even posed in their Chinese outfits.
But we don't see them much anymore (or they only show the alternates when they are "marketable"?)

Old 11-20-2009, 09:17 PM   #179
country flag Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well I think Tsonga is pretty marketable.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:37 PM   #180
country flag lalaland

Maybe they can't show the alternates because they don't know who's gonna show? It sounds like Jo is still not in London yet and of course the 2nd alternate is not yet committed. Last year, from what they said, Sexy was vacationing already when they called him and he got to Shanghai quite last minute and w/o his luggage or sth, I guess must be the same for Kiwi then since he's ranked even lower than Sexy and probably got the call even later? I found it quite annoying that for a prestigious event like the YEC (or WTF if you prefer ), the guys are so reluctant to participate. The injured I can understand, and I know the alternates more often than not don't get to play, but still. Just go there and pocket like $50K and watch some tennis is not so hard, is it? And if they don't get to play, they can just think of it as a paid vacation .