Davis Cup - World Group Semifinals - Argentina vs. Russia - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-21-2008, 06:59 PM   #31
country flag jayjay

jayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Davis Cup - World Group Semifinals - Argentina vs. Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl91 View Post
You were saying?
Shit happens.

You can't keep moaning about yesterday. There is a 5th rubber to be played and won. Argentina can't rely on Nalbandian forever, if we lose, we deserve to lose.
jayjay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2008, 07:01 PM   #32
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute

So since I watched the match, I'll comment on it:

Nalbandian played a great first set. It looked like he was on fire for a while, when he was about to go up a double break then he was a bit sloppy and had to play some clutch points to hold the next game. This part of the match was great to watch. Davydenko was being a bit passive at this point though playing into his hands. The momentum was all going his way when he went up an early break in the second set, and he was up 40-0 in the second game then got a bit complacent and that's when Davydenko started playing a lot better.

It looked like after Nalbandian lost that break that he wasn't able to play with the same amount of adrenaline and was pacing himself more. Davydenko was on fire for about three or so games in the second set while Nalbandian started to make more errors. In the game where Nalbandian got broken, he saved SO many break points with clutch serves (to counter Davydenko's very good play) but eventually he missed a forehand down-the-line by just a little bit.

The third set was where Nalbandian really started to look tired. He started to dig the ball back more, instead of going for it, mainly because he was not getting in position to do anything with it and he was making a lot of errors also.

Davydenko choked serving for the set, then there was a super long game at 5-5 on Nalbandian's serve, where he got TWO letcords which helped him hold serve, as well as Davydenko making some very easy errors. He had a slight chance on Davydenko's serve in the following game, but he could not win a point that was not from a Davydenko error. Davydenko didn't give much away in the tie-break, so he won it. It was a bit hard to watch the third set, because it seemed to be entirely dependent on Davydenko's level of play. It was a good effort though, although it never looked like he was going to win the match at this point unless if Davydenko played really poorly.

In the fourth set, it was pretty much what I expected would happen given that Nalbandian surely couldn't have thought he could have won it at that point and that Davydenko would be feeling more relaxed. Nalbandian tried to go for his shots a bit more, but made a lot of errors.
krystlel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:20 PM   #33
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute

Now that Del Potro has clinched the tie, I'm just really happy for the team. They're in a Davis Cup final at home!
Old 09-21-2008, 10:24 PM   #34
country flag Pepi.
Ajmo Marin!

Pepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond reputePepi. has a reputation beyond repute

congrat argentina!

david

Quote:
Q. Why are you playing such good tennis?

MARIN CILIC: 'Cause I'm a good player (smiling).
Marin Cilic & Jo Wilfried Tsonga
Gasquet Dimitrov Gulbis
Pepi. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:45 PM   #35
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute

Bitter-Sweet day for David.
Getta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:06 AM   #36
country flag HeretiC

HeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond repute

Del Potro saved Mancini's ass after that stupid decision to pu David to play doubles. Dave is no longer able to play 3 best of five matches at his best. He only had a fuel in the tank for 1 set. After that 40:0 in second set, he allowed Davydenko to break with few UE's and it was the defining moment for the match. Davydenko was just about to gave up when he received those gifts, smell a blood and shifted into higher gear. David wasn't.t able to cope up. From that moment he was struggling and never really managed to repeat the performance from the first set. Heavily unbalanced, with slow movement (his couldn't even get in time on BH side so he was forced to slice or play 1 handed BH so many times), it was so obvious that he will lose this match. I hope they will wise up for a final against Spain, save Del Potro and Nalbandian exclusively for singles and start to train different doubles team. David was carrying DC team for so long and now with JDMP along his side he can afford not to play in the second day.

P.S Congratulations for your bloging activities, krystlel, great work and analysis as usual.
HeretiC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:06 PM   #37
country flag chabela

chabela has a reputation beyond reputechabela has a reputation beyond reputechabela has a reputation beyond reputechabela has a reputation beyond reputechabela has a reputation beyond reputechabela has a reputation beyond reputechabela has a reputation beyond reputechabela has a reputation beyond reputechabela has a reputation beyond reputechabela has a reputation beyond reputechabela has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Davis Cup - World Group Semifinals - Argentina vs. Russia

I went to Parque Roca the tree days. I suffered a lot . I agree with Krystlel's match analysis (when Davydenko was server for 3rd set we tryed to desconcentrated him shhhhhh).

I think the Mancini's mistake was to choise Cañas not David. Cañas played really bad and David had play at his best to survive, and it still they have very close to win.

I think Spain will be very hard and I hope David can be fit and healthy. His tennis and his talent are intact, he regaled us a lot of incredible points this week-end.

Visita el flog de MARIO ANCIC
chabela is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:40 PM   #38
country flag krystlel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeretiC View Post
P.S Congratulations for your bloging activities, krystlel, great work and analysis as usual.
Thanks.

I think it is safe to say that David won't be playing the doubles in the final. Different circumstances this time. Most players would have trouble playing three consecutive days when they have to face both Nadal and Ferrer in the singles, let alone David. The second, being that Verdasco/Lopez are a good doubles team and it's not worth it because they wouldn't be favoured to win it anyway.

Personally for me, I thought it was not necessarily a bad decision, but it didn't work out in the end. Had he not played the doubles and lost to Davydenko, then maybe people would be thinking he should have played the doubles. They were close to losing in straight sets, and they were close to winning, both which would have been favourable outcomes. It was a decent gamble because it would have been fine if they had won easily, won in a long match or lost quickly, only a long match that resulted in a loss would have been bad. The Kunitsyn/Tursunov doubles combination didn't look so strong on paper and David hadn't lost a doubles (or singles) match at home before. Maybe they could have just played better towards the end of the fifth set in the doubles. Or maybe they could have taken out Canas instead. Too many variables.

By the way, I thought Canas was exceptionally poor in the first two sets but David didn't play that well either. Given how many times the pair of them got broken, maybe they could have gone with someone with a big serve, like Calleri. His passing shots would have been more effective also, given Canas' groundstrokes looked weak.

So David didn't win his last two matches, but there were many positives to take. They're in the finals, playing at home and this will be the biggest occasion in his career (from his point of view). In fact, it must be exciting for all tennis fans in Argentina. How awesome would it be if they played the final in Cordoba? I'm excited already. I was most pleased that he was able to prove that he can still elevate his level in Davis Cup, and of course it was good to see him all fired up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabela View Post
I agree with Krystlel's match analysis (when Davydenko was server for 3rd set we tryed to desconcentrated him shhhhhh).

Last edited by krystlel : 09-23-2008 at 01:50 PM.