Indoor season 2008 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-26-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Indoor season 2008

His schedule for the final spurt:

29.9: Metz
6.10: Vienna
13.10: AMS Madrid
20.10: Lyon
27.10: AMS Bercy
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #2
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indoor season 2008

He plays Mahut in the first round, that's a tough 1st round indoors.
The rest looks much easier (the winner of Gicquel-Grannolers in the 2nd round, etc.)
Old 09-27-2008, 03:49 PM   #3
country flag Tutu

Tutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond repute

Should get through that though.

Allez Gilles!

WTA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ATP
Tutu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
country flag jitterbug

jitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond repute

Allez Gilles

Somebody tell me who made the draw and put Gulbis against Ancic in R1 so I can go kick their collective asses...

The importance of being Ernests Riga Mortis

Ernests Gulbis on seeing HEAD racquets being made by hand:
Quote:
I felt so bad. I didn’t break a racquet for like one month. They are putting so much effort to make the racquets and an idiot like me goes and breaks them
jitterbug is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:48 PM   #5
country flag Truc

I know, that part of the draw is just wrong! But really hot.
There is a pic of Gilles on the page about the draw, so he might have attended the draw ceremony.

Here's his half of the draw:
Mario Ancic (CRO)
Ernest Gulbis (LET)
Janko Tipsarevic (SRB)
Jérémy Chardy (FRA)

Qualifié
Agustin Calleri (ARG)
Nicolas Devilder (FRA)
Paul-Henri Mathieu (FRA)

Andreas Seppi (ITA)
Qualifié
Qualifié
Arnaud Clement (FRA)

Marcel Granollers (ESP)
Marc Gicquel (FRA)
Nicolas Mahut (FRA)
Gilles Simon (FRA)
Old 09-27-2008, 04:48 PM   #6
country flag Truc

And in doubles he's playing with Jérémy as expected, they'll play Mario/Ljubo in the 1st round.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #7
country flag jitterbug

jitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I can be in the stadium for the doubles, though I'll be horribly torn It'd be more ideal if Gillou were to play with Mario and let Jeremy team up with Ljubo

Quote:
I felt so bad. I didn’t break a racquet for like one month. They are putting so much effort to make the racquets and an idiot like me goes and breaks them
Old 09-27-2008, 09:26 PM   #8
country flag Truc

I wish we would be there indeed because I'm afraid we won't see much of it...
It's too bad, they have a nice field in Metz this year (no withdrawals at all!), I would love to see the first round already. Who needs top 10 players?
Old 09-27-2008, 09:38 PM   #9
country flag Truc

As for Gilles, I think he might be there mainly to support the tournament too (Metz was supposed to be scratched out from the calender last year and the new tournament director, Boutter, really fought hard to keep it alive). I think many players are still friends with Boutter, even Mario said so today.
Gilles seems to be giving tons of interviews around, maybe he's more doing some promotion stuff and getting ready for the indoors season than really playing the event at 100% since he would need to make it to the semi to add some points.

On the other hand, if he gets past Mahut, his draw looks very doable.
Nico won't be easy though, he just won the Orléans Challenger, made the QF of Bangkok and has been playing indoors for a few weeks already, unlike Gilles.

I don't know, but I won't be shocked if he has an early exit. I'm pulling a Grenouille.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:06 AM   #10
country flag jitterbug

It's okay to be pessimistic.. Then you can only be pleasantly surprised.

Quote:
Old 09-28-2008, 07:10 AM   #11
country flag Grenouille

Grenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not pessimistic this time Fran !! ahah
Looking at the draw, I honestly think he'll reach the semis !
Gilles doesn't want to lose against a French guy
Old 09-28-2008, 07:32 AM   #12
country flag Truc

I'm not saying you're pessimistic in general anyway. Just wondering like you in Bucharest how badly he wants to win - and that's essential with his kind of game.

But I agree the draw is quite tempting for him now.

It might turn into another Indianapolis, it also was supposed to be a preparation tournament only, he said it a few times, he didn't enter the event wanting to win and ended up winning all these preparation matches.
But that's the point, he was exhausted then for Toronto and especially Cincy.

Last edited by Truc : 09-28-2008 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:44 AM   #13
country flag Truc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterbug View Post
Of course it's also a nice feeling not to care if he loses , but that's not really how I meant it, I was just thinking loud, as usual. I was not "pulling a Silverwhite".
Old 09-28-2008, 06:14 PM   #14
country flag Guy Haines

Guy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterbug View Post
Perfectly phrased. I've always brought that attitude to Nadal matches. For some reason I get more optimistic about my lower-ranked faves, like Gilles and Ernests on the men's side and Szavay and Safarova and Radwanska on the women's.

Gilles has been fun to root for and follow in general (thoughtful and likable in interviews and always a pleasure to look at) this year. I don't think that many people outside of you guys thought he was going to break through at the start of '08. But you could tell from his Australian match with Nadal that he had a good year in store.

If he gets through the first round, things look good in Metz.
Guy Haines is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:55 PM   #15
country flag gambit84

gambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond reputegambit84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Haines View Post
Perfectly phrased. I've always brought that attitude to Nadal matches. For some reason I get more optimistic about my lower-ranked faves, like Gilles and Ernests on the men's side and Szavay and Safarova and Radwanska on the women's.

Gilles has been fun to root for and follow in general (thoughtful and likable in interviews and always a pleasure to look at) this year. I don't think that many people outside of you guys thought he was going to break through at the start of '08. But you could tell from his Australian match with Nadal that he had a good year in store.

If he gets through the first round, things look good in Metz.
Lucie so talented, so fragile..
She could play an amazing tennis, if only I remember her 2007 but she seems lost and I really can't understand why