Devin Britton - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-19-2009, 07:24 PM   #16
country flag SHB

SHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Devin Britton

He lost in the semis.
SHB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2009, 06:55 AM   #17
country flag SHB

SHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond repute

Britton has reached the final of the NCAA men's singles championship, which will be played Monday. He has won 13 consecutive singles matches (of those that have been completed). On the season, he is 28-9 in singles and 20-9 in doubles. He came into the tournament ranked 30th in the nation. In singles, he has primarily played at the #2 position for a very strong Ole Miss team, but he has easily been their best player over the last month or so. Good stuff from a guy who just turned 18 in March. Jesse Levine had a tremendous freshman year a couple years ago, but he was 20 years old at the time.

Britton entered the Junior French Open, so he may be playing on the big stage again next week.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:57 PM   #18
country flag SHB

Devin Britton is your NCAA division 1 men's singles champion. He defeated Ohio State's Steven Moneke 3-6, 6-2, 6-3. I think it almost guarantees him a main draw wild card at the U.S. Open. He's an American, he's 18, he won the championahip in his first semester in college, and he reached the final of the Junior U.S. Open last year. Barring atrocious results between now and the U.S. Open, I don't see how he won't get a wild card. Still, they may not promise him one until after the National Championship in August to ensure that he plays it.

The question now is, does he stay or does he go? Go pro that is. He wasn't completely dominant, after all. He did lose 9 matches. He didn't even play at the #1 position for most of the year. And his team didn't win the champpionship. Might the desire to lead his home state school to a national title motivate him to return? Might he feel that he isn't ready to go pro? He really does need to improve his groundstrokes. Of course, you can do that as a pro as well. And what about endorsement deals? I imagine he will have some offers after this.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:45 PM   #19
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Good for him The pro decision will be tough for him, hopefully he does whatever is best for him.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:15 PM   #20
country flag SHB

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4204793

According to this, Britton is the first freshman to win the tournament since Cecil Mamiit in 1999. They also say that he is the first American to win it since Alex Kim in 2000. Apparently they are only counting American-born players, as Amer Delic won it several years ago.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:56 PM   #21
country flag SHB

I watched the internet stream of today's match and most of yesterday's match. He looks like he's around 6'4". His serve is legit. He serves and volleys a lot, but not all the time. His volleys are solid. For his age, I would even call them advanced. He definitely looks comfortable at net, which isn't surprising since he has played this style of tennis for as long as I have known about him. Movement seems average for his size among pro tennis players. He was inconsistent from the baseline and often seemed tentative as a result. That's where he really needs to improve. He occasionally fired some powerful groundstrokes, but he didn't seem confident enough to go for his shots on a frequent basis.

I love his style of play and his serve gives him a chance to be a successful pro. He doesn't seem like a sure thing, but aside from Ryan Harrison, I don't see a better American prospect right now. I will be interested to see how he does in the tournaments he plays this summer.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:11 AM   #22
country flag SHB

http://tenniskalamazoo.blogspot.com/

A few more tidbits from Colette Lewis:

- Britton is just the third freshman to ever win the title. The other two: Mamiit and John McEnroe

- He is the youngest player to ever win the title since this format was adopted in 1977.

- He will play both the French Open and Wimbledon.

He will be very tough on grass, I suspect.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:45 AM   #23
country flag Chip_s_m

Chip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really happy for him. He played hard, and even though he has been inconsistent for most of the year, he has actually played very well over the past couple of months. He hasn't lost since April 10, which is a 13 match winning streak. That's especially impressive since most of those wins came during the NCAA team and singles championships where the competition was obviously the highest. I think it is important that he was only playing #2, and his record would have been slightly worse than the 28-9 it stands at now had he played #1. However, I think it's important to note that very few college coaches of top teams would put a freshman at #1. Jonas Berg, Mississippi's #1 player, has certainly had a successful enough career and season to deserve that spot. However, Britton has obviously done about as well as he could have given the team's situation.

I think what he needs to consider is the level of competition next year (I'm assuming that he is considering staying for only one more year at most). Based on the April 28 singles rankings, which I acknowledge are not particularly reliable, 6 of the top 10 college players this year will be graduating. Devin will still have some quality players to compete against, but it won't be on a regular basis, especially compared to the pro circuit. That said, the college environment is much more supportive and less stressful than the tour. His maturity level will certainly factor into how successful he is if he turns pro, although he has shown a lot of mental strength during the past couple of weeks. However, the physical nature of his game could help him adapt to the pro tour quickly. Like Isner, he is going to be able to dictate play much better than some other recent college players who focus more on counter-punching and aggressive baseline play like Devvarman, Sweeting, and Levine.

In my opinion, I think he should go pro, although I don't think it would make a significant difference if he decided to stay for one more year. If he stays past his sophomore I can't imagine that he would face quality opponents frequently enough for it to be worth his while. To be honest, however, he has all summer long to play both junior and pro tournaments to see how well he'd do. If he doesn't show good results in Challenger and especially futures tournaments than by all means I think he should stay in college. If I were him that would be the main factor in my decision, although both he and his mother have mentioned that money is getting tight for the family. Traveling around the country all summer would certainly be expensive. The signing bonus and endorsements would obviously alleviate that issue. I think she also mentioned (after the USO juniors) that if it were up to him he would have already turned pro. This result may be enough to sway any dissenters. The Mississippi coach also mentioned that it might be a good idea to take another year to "hone his craft," although he is obviously a little biased.

This would definitely be a tough decision, but regardless of whether he decides to turn pro now or next year this result certainly bodes well for his future. I'm looking forward to following his results this summer.

Last edited by Chip_s_m : 05-26-2009 at 06:59 AM.
Chip_s_m is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:57 AM   #24
country flag Chip_s_m

Chip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond repute

From Zootennis.com:

Quote:
Neither Britton nor Cecil are ruling out a return to college in the fall, and both are hoping for a wild card into the U.S. Open main draw in three months' time.

"Hopefully I can play some Futures this summer and get some results there, and I know in the fall, we're planning to play a bunch of pro stuff," Britton said. "I'd like to build up some points for when I come out of school next year. If it goes well next year, who knows after that? I still have a lot to work on, I still need to get bigger and stronger."
This makes it sounds like he's going to play it by ear and see how he does this summer (which is smart IMO), although I'd say based on this statement he's leaning towards coming back.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:45 PM   #25
country flag SHB

Well, Britton got beat 6-0, 6-4 in the first round of the Junior French Open. Yikes. He did lose to one of the best clay court juniors in the world, but still, it's hard to believe that the NCAA champion could lose that badly to any junior. Maybe fatigue was a factor.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:43 PM   #26
country flag SHB

A couple weeks of rest and a change of surface makes a world of difference. Britton just won the grade 1 grass court tournament at Roehampton in both singles and doubles. He dropped just one set in singles (in the final, which he won 7-6(7) in the third) and none in doubles with partner Jordan Cox. You can't ask for more than that.

Next up is Wimbledon, where he could get a tough draw because of his low ranking (due to playing in college). He has about as good a chance as anybody, though Bernard Tomic is probably a slight favorite.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:25 AM   #27
country flag SHB

Peter Bodo wrote a good article about Britton after his 6-4, 6-0 first round victory at Wimbledon.

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tenni...dont-fish.html
Old 07-01-2009, 04:24 AM   #28
country flag SHB

Britton has turned pro:

http://tenniskalamazoo.blogspot.com/
Old 07-04-2009, 06:31 AM   #29
country flag Chip_s_m

Video interview of Devin (and Jordan too) at zootennis.com (same website as above).
Old 07-05-2009, 01:38 AM   #30
country flag SHB

Britton's blogging has been good for a few chuckles this week. Check it out:

http://www.usta.com/sitecore/content...n_Britton.aspx