Stefan Edberg: A Champion reflects - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-04-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
country flag Eden
Support the Swiss

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Stefan Edberg: A Champion reflects

Stefan Edberg: A Champion reflects

Stefan Edberg

August 26, 2008

Seventeen years ago, the US Open showcased a maestro at work as Stefan Edberg put together a flawless display of tennis to defeat Jim Courier. The legendary sportsman reflects on the win, his rivalries and the state of tennis today.

It came as a surprise to many that Stefan Edberg had gone his first eight visits to the US Open without a title. But in 1991, the stars finally aligned for the Swede.

Edberg and American Jim Courier both entered their first US Open final on a roll. Edberg, ranked No. 2 at the time, was coming off a straight-sets semifinal win over long-time rival Ivan Lendl. Courier, who did not drop a set en route to the title match, had defeated defending champion Pete Sampras in the quarterfinals and sentimental favorite Jimmy Connors in the semifinals.

With the on-court temperatures eclipsing the 90 degree mark, Edberg put on one of the best performances in a US Open final. With a perfect display of serve and volley tennis, he completed a 6-2, 6-4, 6-0 masterpiece victory to capture his first US Open title.

Afterwards, Courier said, "I remember walking off of the court knowing there was no way I could have beaten him on that day. He played a nearly flawless match in every facet."

Edberg followed it up with a repeat title performance one year later in what would turn out to be his final Grand Slam title, but the 1991 championship remains his favorite US Open memory. "Lifting the trophy after beating Courier was the best match of my life," he says.

Courier, who would finish No. 1 in 1992 after Edberg held the top spot the previous two years, said about their rivalry, "I had many a fierce battle with Stefan inside the lines and I consider him one of the all-time gentlemen of our sport. Our match-ups were interesting ones as we had contrasting styles. He knew what I was going to do and vice versa and it was simply a matter of who executed better on the day as to who won."

But theirs wasn't the only classic rivalry Edberg was involved in during his outstanding career. The Swede played long-time nemesis Boris Becker 35 times, and also battled countryman Mats Wilander, Lendl, and Michael Chang at least 20 times each. Edberg says, "Thinking back, I was lucky to play in this era of great players."

From 1983-1996 when Edberg competed on the ATP circuit, he faced nine players who were current or former No. 1s at least nine times: Jimmy Connors (6-6), John McEnroe (6-7), Lendl (14-13), Mats Wilander (9-11), Boris Becker (10-25), Courier (4-6), Pete Sampras (6-8), Andre Agassi [Images] (3-6), and Thomas Muster (10-0).

Edberg, in remembering his own rivals, is highly intrigued by the rivalry between Rafael Nadal [Images] and Roger Federer [Images], which has taken center stage in the world of tennis.

"Wherever they play, they reach the final and they've had an incredible run," says Edberg, from his countryside home outside of Grimslov, Sweden.

"They have very few letdowns and I've never seen anything else like that. There hasn't been two guys dominating the game the way they've had, as much as they've done. This rivalry is great for tennis and the quality of matches are extremely high level. Now you need a new name or two, like (Novak) Djokovic, and it would be nice to see some new faces coming up."

Edberg, who won the ATP Sportsmanship Award so many times it was renamed in his honor in 1996, is impressed by the way Federer and Nadal have handled themselves during their lengthy stays at the top two ranking positions.

"What an incredible record to stay at the number one position for 237 weeks to one of the best players ever playing the game," he says of Federer's record reign at No. 1. "It's also a tribute to his sportsmanship as well.

"Nadal is a great player with incredible charisma and fighting spirit and he deserves the No. 1 ranking, especially after winning one of the greatest Wimbledon [Images] finals ever following the French Open win."

No stranger to playing in championship finals himself, Edberg won six Grand Slam singles titles - twice at Wimbledon (1988, '90), the US Open (1991-92) and Australian Open (1985, '87) - in addition to three Grand Slam doubles crowns.

During Edberg's run to his last Slam title at the US Open in 1992, the serve-and-volleying Swede defeated three straight opponents in five sets, including Chang in the semifinals in the longest match in US Open history at five hours and 26 minutes.

"That was by far the most difficult Slam tournament in my career," says Edberg, who capped it off with a four-set win over Pete Sampras in the final. "I beat Chang in a marathon and then had to come back the next day to play Sampras."

Edberg looks at today's game and says he's a little disappointed not to see any serve-and-volley players like from his era. "You have some bigger servers today but they don't follow-up going to the net. With Boris and Goran (Ivanisevic) you wouldn't get any rhythm and if you dropped your serve it was extremely difficult to come back and win the set.

"Being a serve-and-volleyer myself, it would be nice to have one, two or three. The guys are playing good, effective tennis today but it would be nice to have variation of styles. I played Chang and he would stay back. You look at Borg and McEnroe and they had different styles. That would be the only thing I wish � to see variation."

But Edberg continues: "Tennis is in pretty good shape right now and Federer-Nadal have played some quality tennis matches. It's also nice to see (Novak) Djokovic playing well and up there."

Today, the 42-year-old Edberg is a part-owner and board member of the Swedish investment company Case Assets Management, and lives in the Swedish countryside with his wife Annette and two children, Emilie, 15, and Christopher, 11.

And, while he'll be watching the action at Flushing Meadows closely, Edberg predicts that this year's US Open will come down to the Big 3 of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic, with "Federer winning once again!"

Source: http://www.rediff.com/sports/2008/aug/26edberg.htm
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
country flag TheBoiledEgg

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stefan Edberg: A Champion reflects

thanx
Berdych*Tsonga*Nishikori*Chardy

Goodbye Marat 1996-2009
TheBoiledEgg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:40 PM   #3
country flag Pea

Pea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely read.
{{{Janko Tipsarevic}}}
{{{Andreas Vinciguerra}}}
{{{Mikhail Youzhny}}}
(Agustin Calleri)(Hicham Arazi)(Nicolas Kiefer)(Sebastien Grosjean)(Rafael Nadal)
(Tommy Robredo)(Xavier Malisse)(Gustavo Kuerten)(Rainer Schuettler)(Fernando Gonzalez)
(Mark Philippoussis)(Gaston Gaudio)(Albert Montanes)(Ivan Ljubicic)(Mariano Zabaleta) & Many More...

FoRevEr:
{{{STEFAN EDBERG}}}
Pea is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
country flag GuiroNl

GuiroNl has a reputation beyond reputeGuiroNl has a reputation beyond reputeGuiroNl has a reputation beyond reputeGuiroNl has a reputation beyond reputeGuiroNl has a reputation beyond reputeGuiroNl has a reputation beyond reputeGuiroNl has a reputation beyond reputeGuiroNl has a reputation beyond reputeGuiroNl has a reputation beyond reputeGuiroNl has a reputation beyond reputeGuiroNl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for posting this.
GuiroNl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:26 AM   #5
country flag RogerFan82

RogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond repute

Gr8 article !!!!!

Spartan Rog

Slam No: 18 is coming soon.

RogerFan82 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:33 AM   #6
country flag Kolya

Kolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond repute

Nice read as always.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:36 AM   #7
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

edberg is a cool guy

Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:37 AM   #8
country flag DhammaTiger
May All Beings Be Happy!!

Location: So happy to be back to the City of Angels (Krung Thep)
DhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Doris thank you for a wonderful article. He was not my top favourite because I don't like s/v tennis but I liked him for his sportsmanship.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:20 AM   #9
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

edberg invented tennis
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:31 AM   #10
country flag Lillith

Lillith has a reputation beyond reputeLillith has a reputation beyond reputeLillith has a reputation beyond reputeLillith has a reputation beyond reputeLillith has a reputation beyond reputeLillith has a reputation beyond reputeLillith has a reputation beyond reputeLillith has a reputation beyond reputeLillith has a reputation beyond reputeLillith has a reputation beyond reputeLillith has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the article- he's still my al time favorite. And my last crush.
Lillith is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:40 AM   #11
country flag the cat

the cat has a reputation beyond reputethe cat has a reputation beyond reputethe cat has a reputation beyond reputethe cat has a reputation beyond reputethe cat has a reputation beyond reputethe cat has a reputation beyond reputethe cat has a reputation beyond reputethe cat has a reputation beyond reputethe cat has a reputation beyond reputethe cat has a reputation beyond reputethe cat has a reputation beyond repute

Eden, thanks's for the Stefan Edberg article. The 1992 U.S. Open that Stefan won was the toughest grand slam I've ever seen anyone have and still win. That was a truly great grand slam title defense for Stefan.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:53 AM   #12
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

Always nice to hear from Stefan, a class act.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #13
country flag Becker's Volleys

Becker's Volleys has a reputation beyond reputeBecker's Volleys has a reputation beyond reputeBecker's Volleys has a reputation beyond reputeBecker's Volleys has a reputation beyond reputeBecker's Volleys has a reputation beyond reputeBecker's Volleys has a reputation beyond reputeBecker's Volleys has a reputation beyond reputeBecker's Volleys has a reputation beyond reputeBecker's Volleys has a reputation beyond reputeBecker's Volleys has a reputation beyond reputeBecker's Volleys has a reputation beyond repute

Great article. Becker was/is my all-time fave player, but Edberg's brilliance and class made for a captivating rivalry and they pushed each others game to a new level. Great bloke too.
Becker's Volleys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:17 PM   #14
country flag JolánGagó
Banned!

JolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond repute

I was usually bored to death by his game but nice read, thanx.
JolánGagó is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:36 PM   #15
Hagar

Hagar has a reputation beyond reputeHagar has a reputation beyond reputeHagar has a reputation beyond reputeHagar has a reputation beyond reputeHagar has a reputation beyond reputeHagar has a reputation beyond reputeHagar has a reputation beyond reputeHagar has a reputation beyond reputeHagar has a reputation beyond reputeHagar has a reputation beyond reputeHagar has a reputation beyond repute

What's the secret of these Swedes? Edberg is looking so good at 42, and back in April I saw Björn Borg in an exhibition match... he looks absolutely hot and he's over 50...
Kuerten: tennis in the shape of a heart
Ollie Rochus: the lil'man that broke Karlovic
Hagar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote