Doubles Tennis Tipping Rules Thread: what changes for 2009 ? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-09-2008, 09:10 PM   #1
country flag trucul

trucul has a reputation beyond reputetrucul has a reputation beyond reputetrucul has a reputation beyond reputetrucul has a reputation beyond reputetrucul has a reputation beyond reputetrucul has a reputation beyond reputetrucul has a reputation beyond reputetrucul has a reputation beyond reputetrucul has a reputation beyond reputetrucul has a reputation beyond reputetrucul has a reputation beyond repute
Default Doubles Tennis Tipping Rules Thread: what changes for 2009 ?

Now that the DTT season 2008 is nearly over, it is time to think to DTT season 2009. The goal of this thread is to get suggestions for any enhancement in the rules of DTT.

Of course, we will monitor similar thread for TT:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...=90040&page=79

But feel free to propose some rules specific to DTT to make DTT more attractive.
2009: 61
2008: 63
trucul is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2008, 09:25 PM   #2
country flag trucul

trucul has a reputation beyond reputetrucul has a reputation beyond reputetrucul has a reputation beyond reputetrucul has a reputation beyond reputetrucul has a reputation beyond reputetrucul has a reputation beyond reputetrucul has a reputation beyond reputetrucul has a reputation beyond reputetrucul has a reputation beyond reputetrucul has a reputation beyond reputetrucul has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doubles Tennis Tipping Rules Thread: what changes for 2009 ?

Let me start the thread with my suggestions for improvement. Feel free to comment if you agree or disagree.

1. OOP when matches are postponed:
==================================

In many occasions during the year, some Doubles matches were postponed from a day to 2 days after. This led to conditional DTT results and sometimes, on thursday, winner of first round is not yet known. One proposal for 2009 is that any match postponed from more than 1 day is cancelled from DTT OOP (and rescheduled for the new corresponding DTT round). Of course, this rule does not apply when all matches (or most of matches) are postponed due to rain delay.

2. Points award for 2009:
=========================

In 2008, points awards were pretty simple and split in 3 categories: 1000 pts for Grand Slams, 500 points for Masters Series and 250 for any other tournament. This led that any tournament win in a tournament different from Grand Slams or Masters Series was pretty insignificant for overall ranking. For example, nevito won 2 of these tournaments (Moscow and Lyon) but is still ranked 29.

With the appearance of 1000 category and 500 category tournaments in 2009, it would be good to have in DTT more intermediate category and reward a little bit more the smaller tournaments (eg. 400 pts to the winner of 500 category tournaments, 350 pts to the winner of weeks where there are smaller tournaments).
Old 11-10-2008, 07:23 AM   #3
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Björki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond repute

I'd prefer single entry for doubles race like in TT. So people can play with different partner and still qualify for the Masters. I cant play the whole year (due to holidays), maybe that's why.

just my opinion.

Bryans || Djokovic || Paire || Chiudinelli || Nalbandian || Hanley || Rojer || Nadal
Söderling || Verdasco || Wawrinka || Simon || O. Rochus || Leo Mayer

Björkman || Arthurs || Edberg || Rafter || T.Johansson || M.Norman || Aspelin
Björki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:03 AM   #4
country flag trucul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Björki View Post
I'd prefer single entry for doubles race like in TT. So people can play with different partner and still qualify for the Masters. I cant play the whole year (due to holidays), maybe that's why.

just my opinion.
Fair opinion. I prefer that, since we are in a Doubles TT, we give more preference to team regularity over the year. But, let us hear for opinions from others to know if they prefer to have different partners during tournaments or if they prefer to keep the same partner for the whole year (like in real ATP Doubles).
Old 11-10-2008, 08:22 AM   #5
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Björki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond repute

I will probably have only one partner but I will be away for at least 6 weeks that's why. So my partner (at least) can get points for his race. And if he is also going on holidays it would be the same.

However it's not the same like the ATP race.

Bryans || Djokovic || Paire || Chiudinelli || Nalbandian || Hanley || Rojer || Nadal

Old 11-10-2008, 06:16 PM   #6
country flag JeffCandoi

JeffCandoi has a reputation beyond reputeJeffCandoi has a reputation beyond reputeJeffCandoi has a reputation beyond reputeJeffCandoi has a reputation beyond reputeJeffCandoi has a reputation beyond reputeJeffCandoi has a reputation beyond reputeJeffCandoi has a reputation beyond reputeJeffCandoi has a reputation beyond reputeJeffCandoi has a reputation beyond reputeJeffCandoi has a reputation beyond reputeJeffCandoi has a reputation beyond repute

I vote on team regularity.. like I said in TT changes forum.. we will have in the ranking the best teams in the top.. it's more realistic. just my opinion

2007: Brasov CH
2008: Brasil Open & Acapulco
2009: Umag & Genoa CH
2010: Roland Garros, Newport, Bastad, Toronto, Cincinnati, London WTF
2011: Rotterdam & Valencia
2012: Estoril, Bastad, Bangkok
2013: Sydney, Estoril, Nottingham Ch, Cali Ch
2014: Chennai, Buenos Aires
JeffCandoi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:15 PM   #7
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucul View Post
1. OOP when matches are postponed:
==================================

In many occasions during the year, some Doubles matches were postponed from a day to 2 days after. This led to conditional DTT results and sometimes, on thursday, winner of first round is not yet known. One proposal for 2009 is that any match postponed from more than 1 day is cancelled from DTT OOP (and rescheduled for the new corresponding DTT round). Of course, this rule does not apply when all matches (or most of matches) are postponed due to rain delay.
I dont like this idea. I mean if you need one team to win your match. But you lose because the win comes one day later, I'd not like it

+ Are you allowed to change the result because it's again on the next OOP?

Old 11-12-2008, 07:15 PM   #8
country flag trucul

Quote:
I dont like this idea. I mean if you need one team to win your match. But you lose because the win comes one day later, I'd not like it

+ Are you allowed to change the result because it's again on the next OOP?
It is similar to having a match being cancelled because of a w.o. of a player (and it has the same probability to occur). I know it may be frustrating but it prevents from having conditional diffs which are nightmares for DTT Managers.

Of course, as it will be part of OOP of the next day and part of a new pick, we will be allowed to change the result.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:07 PM   #9
country flag trucul

Quote:
Fair opinion. I prefer that, since we are in a Doubles TT, we give more preference to team regularity over the year. But, let us hear for opinions from others to know if they prefer to have different partners during tournaments or if they prefer to keep the same partner for the whole year (like in real ATP Doubles).
I had some thoughts about finding a way to priviledge team regularity but keep opportunity to those who wish to play with different partners during the year and still wisg to qualify for DTT Doubles TMC.

I would suggest the following:

In DTT Doubles, 2 race rankings will be published weekly:

- One for DTT Doubles Team Race (same as this year).
- One for DTT Doubles Individual Race (same as in TT).

As we still want to priviledge team regularity, 5 spots will be available based on the 4 best teams of DTT Doubles Team Race. If a team wins a Grand Slam and is not in the top 5 of the best teams, this team will be granted the 5th spot, otherwise the number 5 ranked team in DTT Doubles Team Race will have this 5th spot. If there are more than 1 team winning a grand slam and not being in top 5, the best of these teams will get the 5th spot.

For the 3 remaining spots (3 pairs = 6 players), this will be based on the pair/the individual which gets the most points in DTT Doubles Team Race / DTT Doubles Individual Race.

Let us take an example:
Old 11-14-2008, 08:31 PM   #10
country flag trucul

Here is the current DTT Doubles Race Ranking and, in bold, the teams qualified for DTT TMC based on these new rules:

1 JeffCandoi/MuriloBrasil BRA/BRA 4370
2 KalleOnAir/marr GER/URU 3150 (Roland Garros winners)
3 balloon/vamos israel SIN/ISR 3135 (Wimbledon winners)
4 diego36arg/trucul ARG/FRA 2745

5 Björki/Dupuis2006 GER/CAN 2335
6 MZverev-Fan/Drikke GER/BEL 2110
7 Tzar/Lucho_Coria VEN/ARG 2010
8 Boarder35m/Kielian GER/GER 1860
9 DeathlessMortal/vmbf CRO/BRA 1685 (US Open winners)
10 kai_soad/nevito ARG/ARG 1455

As DeathlessMortal/vmbf are Grand Slam winners and not in top 5, they get the 5th spot.

Now to get the remaining 3 spots (3 pairs or 6 players), we remove the teams already qualified and we have as potential candidates:

5 Björki/Dupuis2006 GER/CAN 2335
6 MZverev-Fan/Drikke GER/BEL 2110
7 Tzar/Lucho_Coria VEN/ARG 2010

Then, these points are compared with points of DTT Doubles Individual Race Ranking. Players in bold are already qualified (because they are part of the 5 doubles pairs).

1 MuriloBrasil BRA 4545
2 JeffCandoi BRA 4405
3 marr URU 3850
4 vamos israel ISR 3800

5 Björki GER 3740
6 balloon SIN 3285
7 KalleOnAir GER 3280
8 trucul FRA 3080
9 diego36arg ARG 2895

10 Dupuis2006 CAN 2720
11 Drikke BEL 2535
12 Mzverev-Fan GER 2435
13 Kielian GER 2060
14 Lucho_Coria ARG 2045
15 Tzar VEN 2010
16 vmbf BRA 1935

This means that potential 6 candidates are:

5 Björki GER 3740
10 Dupuis2006 CAN 2720
11 Drikke BEL 2535
12 Mzverev-Fan GER 2435
13 Kielian GER 2060
14 Lucho_Coria ARG 2045

If we mix both rankings we have:
Björki GER 3740
Dupuis2006 CAN 2720
Björki/Dupuis2006 GER/CAN 2335
Drikke BEL 2535
Mzverev-Fan GER 2435
MZverev-Fan/Drikke GER/BEL 2110
Kielian GER 2060
Lucho_Coria ARG 2045
Tzar/Lucho_Coria VEN/ARG 2010

So, in that case, Björki, Dupuis2006, Drikke, MZverevFan, Kielian and Lucho_Coria are the 6 remaining players qualified and they will have the choice of their partner in TMC.

If we had the following ranking for the 6 remaining players to be selected:
Tzar/Lucho_Coria VEN/ARG 3800
Björki GER 3740
Dupuis2006 CAN 2720
Björki/Dupuis2006 GER/CAN 2335
Drikke BEL 2535
Mzverev-Fan GER 2435
MZverev-Fan/Drikke GER/BEL 2110
Kielian GER 2060

Tzar/Lucho_Coria, Björki, Dupuis2006, Drikke and MZverevFan would have been selected.

I can provide additional explanations if required.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:34 PM   #11
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

I like this idea

Old 11-14-2008, 09:03 PM   #12
country flag trucul

Quote:
I like this idea

Let us see if other DTT players agree with this.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:00 AM   #13
country flag NoFroz

NoFroz has a reputation beyond reputeNoFroz has a reputation beyond reputeNoFroz has a reputation beyond reputeNoFroz has a reputation beyond reputeNoFroz has a reputation beyond reputeNoFroz has a reputation beyond reputeNoFroz has a reputation beyond reputeNoFroz has a reputation beyond reputeNoFroz has a reputation beyond reputeNoFroz has a reputation beyond reputeNoFroz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Let us see if other DTT players agree with this.

I like the idea too, it will probably mean a little more work for you but if you are up for it
NoFroz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:31 PM   #14
country flag trucul

Quote:
Originally Posted by marr View Post
I like the idea too, it will probably mean a little more work for you but if you are up for it
No problem. I can handle this additional work.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:31 PM   #15
country flag trucul

TT Rules 2009 available here:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...postcount=1266

I guess we should follow the same rules for DTT. If you think about some exceptions from DTT, let me know in this thread. They will be subject to poll. Currently, I can see following potential exceptions:

- DTT Doubles Race Ranking (see message above)
- Tournament Point award (not sure ... need your opinion)
- OOP when matches are postponed (from more than 1 day).