Lets introduce ourselves Kei Fans! Konnichiwa! - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-11-2008, 08:33 AM   #16
country flag Reaz

Reaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lets introduce ourselves Kei Fans! Konnichiwa!

I'm Reaz and a Kei fan.He's only 18 and needs some time before he really feels for his Asian roots.But for the time being let's support his cause-to become a really good player.I hope that although he is of Asian descent he starts to really feel deep down inside not only for himself and his Japanese roots but that he has a responsibility towards Asian tennis.He'll need time though.Absolutely loved the match against Ferrer though!
Reaz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2008, 03:51 PM   #17
country flag bluequeda

bluequeda has a reputation beyond reputebluequeda has a reputation beyond reputebluequeda has a reputation beyond reputebluequeda has a reputation beyond reputebluequeda has a reputation beyond reputebluequeda has a reputation beyond reputebluequeda has a reputation beyond reputebluequeda has a reputation beyond reputebluequeda has a reputation beyond reputebluequeda has a reputation beyond reputebluequeda has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all. I'm bluequeda from Taiwan. Like many I first heard about Kei from his Delray Beach win. I could watch the video of that fake drop shot over and over again. What I like in particular about Kei is his mental strength at such tender age and the intelligence shown in his shot selection and placement. We'll see more of him, that I'm sure of!

A bit of question for our Japanese friends on here. My impression is that it's a social etiquette in Japan to address people in their surnames, even among friends. But I'm presuming things have changed a little now especially among the younger generations? I'm asking because we're all calling Kei by his first name (obviously). Thank you!
bluequeda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:05 AM   #18
country flag kinokino

kinokino has a reputation beyond reputekinokino has a reputation beyond reputekinokino has a reputation beyond reputekinokino has a reputation beyond reputekinokino has a reputation beyond reputekinokino has a reputation beyond reputekinokino has a reputation beyond reputekinokino has a reputation beyond reputekinokino has a reputation beyond reputekinokino has a reputation beyond reputekinokino has a reputation beyond repute

Hi bluequeda 

I read the article on his name before.
His surname "Nishikori" is a bit unpronounceable even to Japanese people. So his parents named him "Kei" easy to remember for the overseas people.

In my case, I'm not so "younger" but I usually call my friends by first name
Old 09-15-2008, 07:42 AM   #19
country flag *bunny*

*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluequeda View Post
A bit of question for our Japanese friends on here. My impression is that it's a social etiquette in Japan to address people in their surnames, even among friends. But I'm presuming things have changed a little now especially among the younger generations? I'm asking because we're all calling Kei by his first name (obviously). Thank you!
Hi bluequeda!
Actually I and my Japanese friends call him Nishikori-kun among ourselves. It's only when I speak or write in English I call him Kei. I do so because those ways sound more natural in either languages.
Calling someone with his/her surname is not formal at all in Japan if you add "kun" or "chan" or without any suffix. You are more likely to hear people calling out "Nishikori!" when cheering for him during a match here.
Maybe some people in Japan call him Kei or Kei-kun, too, and that sounds alright too IMO.
I saw on TV his mum talking with him on the phone and she was calling him "Kei-chan," which I think is the normal way for an elder family member to call him.

And let me elaboarate on what Kinokino said about his surname. It's not that the Japanese people find it difficult to pronounce the name phonetically. It's more to do with the Chinese characters used in the name.
The surname 錦織 is pronounced "Nishikiori" in many cases, and it's quite unusual to pronounce it "Nishikori." I read there are also rare cases in wich the name is pronounced "Nishigori" or "Nishikori" with a longer vowel "o." It all depends on family which way it should be pronounced, and in Shimane, where Kei comes from, it is apparently common to pronounce the name "Nishikori."
In any case, it is not a very common name, but I think it's a beautiful name. As you can probably see those Chinese characters mean "brocade."

Also supporting Rafael Nadal, Kei Nishikori, Lleyton Hewitt
David Ferrer, Andy Murray, Juan Martin Del Potro, Nikolay Davydenko, David Nalbandian
Goran Ivanisevic and Marat Safin
#3 Ferrero Tard

Last edited by *bunny* : 09-15-2008 at 07:57 AM.
*bunny* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:19 AM   #20
country flag *esther*

*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute

Hai, wakarimashita sensei !

newly recruited : StanislasWAWRINKA*GillesSIMON*Tsung-huaYANG

Please vote for Rendy's NEW FORUM
*esther* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:26 PM   #21
country flag bluequeda

bluequeda has a reputation beyond reputebluequeda has a reputation beyond reputebluequeda has a reputation beyond reputebluequeda has a reputation beyond reputebluequeda has a reputation beyond reputebluequeda has a reputation beyond reputebluequeda has a reputation beyond reputebluequeda has a reputation beyond reputebluequeda has a reputation beyond reputebluequeda has a reputation beyond reputebluequeda has a reputation beyond repute

Kinokino and bunny, many thanks!

Now I see. I usually call him Nishikori when discussing with friends. I also heard some people shouting 'Nishi' at times during his matches, might have mistaken though.

And it is indeed a beautiful name looking at the Chinese characters.
bluequeda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:17 PM   #22
country flag DhammaTiger
May All Beings Be Happy!!

Location: So happy to be back to the City of Angels (Krung Thep)
DhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinokino View Post
Hi bluequeda 

I read the article on his name before.
His surname "Nishikori" is a bit unpronounceable even to Japanese people. So his parents named him "Kei" easy to remember for the overseas people.

In my case, I'm not so "younger" but I usually call my friends by first name
Quote:
Originally Posted by *bunny* View Post
Hi bluequeda!
Actually I and my Japanese friends call him Nishikori-kun among ourselves. It's only when I speak or write in English I call him Kei. I do so because those ways sound more natural in either languages.
Calling someone with his/her surname is not formal at all in Japan if you add "kun" or "chan" or without any suffix. You are more likely to hear people calling out "Nishikori!" when cheering for him during a match here.
Maybe some people in Japan call him Kei or Kei-kun, too, and that sounds alright too IMO.
I saw on TV his mum talking with him on the phone and she was calling him "Kei-chan," which I think is the normal way for an elder family member to call him.

And let me elaboarate on what Kinokino said about his surname. It's not that the Japanese people find it difficult to pronounce the name phonetically. It's more to do with the Chinese characters used in the name.
The surname 錦織 is pronounced "Nishikiori" in many cases, and it's quite unusual to pronounce it "Nishikori." I read there are also rare cases in wich the name is pronounced "Nishigori" or "Nishikori" with a longer vowel "o." It all depends on family which way it should be pronounced, and in Shimane, where Kei comes from, it is apparently common to pronounce the name "Nishikori."
In any case, it is not a very common name, but I think it's a beautiful name. As you can probably see those Chinese characters mean "brocade."
Thank you Kinokino and *Bunny for the explanation. I am always fascinated by different cultural practices.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:41 AM   #23
country flag hcfoo

hcfoo has a reputation beyond reputehcfoo has a reputation beyond reputehcfoo has a reputation beyond reputehcfoo has a reputation beyond reputehcfoo has a reputation beyond reputehcfoo has a reputation beyond reputehcfoo has a reputation beyond reputehcfoo has a reputation beyond reputehcfoo has a reputation beyond reputehcfoo has a reputation beyond reputehcfoo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys! I grow up admiring Pete Sampras and Ivan Lendl. And for the past 4 years I've been so passionate about tennis chasing every tournament that Rafael Nadal plays.

Being an asian myself, I support asian ballers. I certainly hope to see Kei achieve success as what Paradorn did; to be ranked in the top 10 someday.
hcfoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:53 AM   #24
country flag why,marat,why?

why,marat,why? has a reputation beyond reputewhy,marat,why? has a reputation beyond reputewhy,marat,why? has a reputation beyond reputewhy,marat,why? has a reputation beyond reputewhy,marat,why? has a reputation beyond reputewhy,marat,why? has a reputation beyond reputewhy,marat,why? has a reputation beyond reputewhy,marat,why? has a reputation beyond reputewhy,marat,why? has a reputation beyond reputewhy,marat,why? has a reputation beyond reputewhy,marat,why? has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluequeda View Post
Kinokino and bunny, many thanks!

Now I see. I usually call him Nishikori when discussing with friends. I also heard some people shouting 'Nishi' at times during his matches, might have mistaken though.

And it is indeed a beautiful name looking at the Chinese characters.

You weren't mistaken in hearing fans calling him "Nishi". In fact, if you watched any of his matches from the us open you may have heard ME cheering "nishi" at the top of my lungs lol. it's a nickname he has picked up
why,marat,why? is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:18 AM   #25
country flag Reaz

Reaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond repute

nobody seems to reply to my messages-are u all ignoring me??
It seems to be the case with every forum i post messages on
Please dont mistake me for trying to get attention but i cant help but feel this sentiment.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:32 AM   #26
country flag *esther*

*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaz View Post
nobody seems to reply to my messages-are u all ignoring me??
It seems to be the case with every forum i post messages on
Please dont mistake me for trying to get attention but i cant help but feel this sentiment.
Hi Reaz First of all, sorry if you felt the ignorance from all of us.
And we didn't meant it, REALLY!
This is our new forum and some of the members were old and new, we haven't get used with it, i guess!

Actually since at Kei's old thread, we, the old members also didn't post much
Hope you've no hard feeling.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:09 PM   #27
country flag kinokino

kinokino has a reputation beyond reputekinokino has a reputation beyond reputekinokino has a reputation beyond reputekinokino has a reputation beyond reputekinokino has a reputation beyond reputekinokino has a reputation beyond reputekinokino has a reputation beyond reputekinokino has a reputation beyond reputekinokino has a reputation beyond reputekinokino has a reputation beyond reputekinokino has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Reaz
All messages here including yours have reached me
I'm really looking forward Kei's next match. Especially who will be the opponent!?
Old 09-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #28
country flag Reaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinokino View Post
Hi Reaz
All messages here including yours have reached me
I'm really looking forward Kei's next match. Especially who will be the opponent!?
Thanks...sigh of relief
Old 09-30-2008, 08:49 AM   #29
country flag DanaKz

DanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone! My name is Dana and I am from Kazakhstan. First time i saw Nishikori was Delray Beach - great job, I liked him so much I wish him good luck and hope sometime we will celebrate his Grand Slam title
DanaKz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:03 AM   #30
country flag *esther*

Hi Dana, welcome ~