2014 Barcelona Quarterfinals
• Nishikori registered his 20th win of the season with a 6-1, 6-3 victory over No. 12 seed Marin Cilic to reach his fourth SF of the season and first in Barcelona. The Japanese No. 1 posted wins over Andrey Golubev and Roberto Bautista Agut in his opening two matches.
• Nishikori leads the way in return games won this week with 62% (18 of 29).
• Nishikori is making his fourth appearance in Barcelona. His previous best showing came in 2012 when he advanced to the QF before falling to Verdasco.
• Nishikori’s highlight of the season came in Memphis in February when he won the fourth title of his career (d. Karlovic in F). His other standout performances came in the opening week of the season in Brisbane where he reached the SF (l. to eventual champ Hewitt) and in Indian Wells last month where he posted Top 10 wins over Ferrer and Federer en route to the final four before withdrawing ahead of his clash with Djokovic after picking up a left groin injury.
• Nishikori has finished inside the top 25 in the past three seasons while becoming the highest ranked player from his country in ATP history. He reached a career-high No. 11 on June 17, 2013.
• Nishikori is looking to reach his seventh Tour-level final (4-2 in finals) and first in Barcelona.