Kei's news thread - Page 28 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #406
ex hopman

ex hopman has a reputation beyond reputeex hopman has a reputation beyond reputeex hopman has a reputation beyond reputeex hopman has a reputation beyond reputeex hopman has a reputation beyond reputeex hopman has a reputation beyond reputeex hopman has a reputation beyond reputeex hopman has a reputation beyond reputeex hopman has a reputation beyond reputeex hopman has a reputation beyond reputeex hopman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kei's news thread

there's a big possibility that Kei and Kimiko plays mix doubles at AO (for the Olympics!?)
ex hopman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2011, 08:05 PM   #407
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

Mae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond repute

Many players are trying to get matched up with the Olympics in mind. Maybe Kei's is also?

Mae is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #408
country flag misty1
Banned!

misty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond repute

that would be great to see
misty1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:15 AM   #409
country flag *bunny*

*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I missed something but are Kei and Gilbert no longer working together?
Kei's ATP profile now only lists Dante as his coach and Gilbert doesn't tweet about Kei anymore.
Maybe that's why he decided to play Buenos Aires after DC.

Also supporting Rafael Nadal, Kei Nishikori, Lleyton Hewitt
David Ferrer, Andy Murray, Juan Martin Del Potro, Nikolay Davydenko, David Nalbandian
Goran Ivanisevic and Marat Safin
#3 Ferrero Tard
*bunny* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:26 AM   #410
country flag *bunny*

*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute

Nice article on Kei in the Deuce Magazine.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/DEU...Nishikori.aspx

Counting On Kei
DEUCE Australian Open 2012
by Matt Fitzgerald | 02.01.2011

Kei Nishikori went someway in uplifting a nation after tragedy last year. Now the Japanese star is finally poised to fulfil his potential on the ATP World Tour.

It is a memory that will last a lifetime. The natural disaster that rocked Japan on 11 March, 2011 changed the landscape of the country forever. With Mother Nature unleashing one of the most powerful earthquakes ever recorded, triggering a rampant tsunami, tragedy was imminent. Thousands perished with little warning, fires raged at their own volition, causing a nuclear crisis, and the country was left with an unfathomable amount of destruction. It was a day that impacted millions of lives. News that leaves an everlasting impression doesn't happen often. But for Kei Nishikori, the images will be forever seared into his soul.

Nishikori was preparing for the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells when his manager Olivier van Lindonk and friends in Japan called him to disclose the news. Speaking to DEUCE at the IMG Bollettieri Tennis Academy last month, he said, "It was a helpless feeling being so far away and not able to do anything. My match was hours after the news broke, so I discussed what to do with my team. I decided to play as I felt it was the only way to show my support."

Adorning a black ribbon to honour the earthquake victims, Nishikori gave an inspired performance, but lost a tight three-setter to Igor Andreev. "It was a really tough moment for me," says Nishikori. "I was thinking, 'is it okay to play tennis?' I was really worried about Japan. So many people died and others couldn’t survive without food with all the destruction. The pictures were very surreal."

In the days after the catastrophe, Nishikori partnered with the American Red Cross and Ace Authentic, facilitating donations on his Facebook page, raising proceeds of $100,000. Nishikori's peers played an integral part in generating additional relief aid, donating memorabilia for a charity auction, but their actions didn't stop there. At the Sony Ericsson Open, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic helped spearhead a charity football match in Miami, pitting ATP World Tour stars against the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers, with a fundraising dinner taking place after the game. "So many players came to me asking how things were and if they could help," says Nishikori. "It was really an honour to be Japanese, because all the players helped me help Japan. It's always a tough situation, but at the same time, it was good to feel all the support. And now it's getting better, so I'm really proud."

Slowly, Japan is on the road to recovery. In the aftermath of rebuilding, the nation has turned to sport as an outreach of optimism. Their national women's football team upset the United States in the World Cup final, Kohei Uchiruma captured the men's artistic gymnastics all-around title for the third year in a row and Miko Ando [sic. It's Miki Ando ]won the women's figure skating world title.

Equally as uplifting as those athletic accomplishments, was the season Nishikori put together on the ATP World Tour last year, when he surpassed Shuzo Matsuoka to become Japan's highest-ranked male player in the Open Era. Nishikori says, "That was one of my main goals in 2011. It was good to get through the year by playing consistently to break Shuzo's record. I talked to him after that and he said, 'it's not your final goal.' He told me I can do more and continue doing my best to get a higher ranking."

Tommy Haas, a friend since 22-year-old Nishikori relocated to train at Bollettieri's as a teenager, couldn't be happier for the rising star. "I've known him since he was a young boy. He's a very nice kid; very shy, but a very sweet, hard-working person. It's great to see his success," the German told DEUCE at the Brisbane International.

"I'm very happy for him that he beat Matsuoko's record, which was obviously a big deal. He's a very dangerous player. He’s got that 'Bollettieri style' with the big forehand and quick feet. He's very eager to improve and he has."

Nick Bollettieri agrees with Haas' assessment. "He's a great shot maker and a fantastic mover," said the 2012 International Tennis Hall Of Fame nominee. "What we've worked on is getting a little more zip on his second serve so it's not attackable. I feel if he doesn't get injured, he has a darn good chance of getting into the single digits in the rankings."

"The key is not to direct him all the time."Injuries are a concern for Nishikori, who missed a solid portion of the 2009 and 2010 seasons with a right elbow injury, and is yet to play a full season on the ATP World Tour. Having never had surgery to treat an injury before, it took a while before Nishikori and his team opted to have the procedure. "It took me four to five months to decide on having surgery as I was really nervous about it," admits Nishikori. "It was a tough decision. When I was doing rehab, it was hard for me not being on the court and having to do the same exercises over and over."

The resulting period of inactivity caused Nishikori to drop off the South African Airways ATP Rankings. Working himself back into action on the ATP Challenger Tour, Nishikori managed to break back into the Top 100 by the end of 2010, winning four Challenger events in Savannah, Sarasota, Binghamton and Knoxville. By April 2011, Nishikori was sharp enough to reach his first ATP World Tour final in three years at the US Men's Clay Court Championship in Houston, where he fell to Ryan Sweeting. Though he had mixed results over the next five months, his game soared when he hit Asian soil. Having led Japan to the Davis Cup World Group for the first time in 27 years, Nishikori produced his best ATP World Tour Masters 1000 result at the Shanghai Rolex Masters, defeating Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Alexandr Dolgopolov en route to the semi-finals.

Nishikori exceeded his expectations, recalling, "It was really surprising for me. I only played in the [ATP World Tour] Masters 1000 events a couple of times. Even winning my second-round match was a first. I couldn't even imagine getting to the semi-finals, so it was a great feeling, especially with wins against Tsonga and other guys, who were ranked higher than me, like Dolgopolov and Robin Haase."

Vaulting to No. 30 in the South African Airways Rankings after Shanghai, it was only fitting that Nishikori gave his best performance at the Swiss Indoors Basel in his debut as Japan's highest-ranked player in tour history. After advancing to the semi-finals, Nishikori stunned top-ranked Novak Djokovic, who at the time, had lost just three matches all season. The victory gave Nishikori another distinction, becoming the first Japanese player to defeat a World No. 1. "That match, I was down a set and 4-5, 0/30, so I was two points away from losing the match," reflects Nishikori. "I came back strong and after that, I played almost my best tennis. He wasn't 100 per cent, but I still played great tennis, so I was really happy to beat the No. 1 ranked player. It also felt special because Djokovic was winning the entire season."

Though Nishikori lost to Roger Federer in the final, he rose to World No. 24. Bollettieri credits Dante Bottini, who shares coaching responsibilities with Brad Gilbert, for staying patient and not overloading Nishikori with information. "His coach Dante is fantastic, because he doesn't over speak to Kei," says Bollettieri. "With Kei, the more you tell him, the more complicated it gets for him. It's almost like when I worked with Boris Becker."

With a language barrier and homesickness far behind Nishikori, the legendary coach has seen a change in his pupil's confidence - seeing him take an active role in his player-coach relationships. "Kei's beginning to speak up a lot more and that's a good sign," Bollettieri says. "The key is not to direct him all the time. He's the captain of the ship. My job is every once in a while, I go on the court for 10 to 15 minutes, give a couple tips and motivation, and that's all."

Nishikori is more than satisfied with the team he has in place, proclaiming, "The advantage of having multiple coaches is that I get a lot of good advice. Especially with Nick as I see him once or twice a week when I'm in Bradenton. He always gives me good pointers when I'm doing something wrong. And the other guys I work with are great, so I'm happy with the way things are going."

Spending the off-season bulking up, improving his balance and working to build a stronger core, Nishikori has put in the miles to further his achievements in 2012. At the Australian Open, he will be seeded at a Grand Slam event for the first time. "It opens up more chances, but you still need some luck to get a good draw," Nishikori says. "It will be a different feeling than before as I'm not used to being seeded at a Grand Slam. Hopefully I won't be affected by pressure so I'll try to play the same."

Haas believes there are greater things to come for Nishikori, declaring, "He has the potential to do really well in the big tournaments. He's already broken the Top 30 in the world, so he's definitely going to be a force to be reckoned with in the future.

"He's working very hard physically off the court and trying to stay strong. He's always had a few nagging injuries here or there, which he has to be careful with, but he's putting in the effort and he's determined. I think he's got a lot of goals and I'm happy for him, glad that he's doing well."

If Nishikori can get through this season healthy, he just may give his nation a new eternal story that helps mend the souls of its people.

David Ferrer, Andy Murray, Juan Martin Del Potro, Nikolay Davydenko, David Nalbandian
#3 Ferrero Tard
Old 01-18-2012, 01:46 AM   #411
country flag *bunny*

http://www.aceauthentic.com/item/kei...-2012-box-set/

#3 Ferrero Tard
Old 01-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #412
country flag *bunny*

http://www.thetennisspace.com/on-cou...or-the-top-10/

Kei Nishikori: Project 45 destined for the top 10

The Tennis Space
Monday, 23 January 2012

Five things you need to know about Kei Nishikori, the highest-ranked Japanese in the history of men’s tennis, who will play Andy Murray in the quarter-finals of the Australian Open. Nishikori, ranked 26, reached the last eight of a grand slam for the first time by defeating France’s Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

Nick Bollettieri, who regards himself as the grandfather figure in Nishikori’s life, has predicted that the 22-year-old Japanese has the talent to break into the top ten. “If Kei’s serve continues to improve, and if he continues to play an attacking game, he could end up becoming a top-ten player,” Bollettieri told The Tennis Space. “He’s gaining so much self-confidence now, and that’s great. When he first came to my academy in Florida, as a young teenager, he could not speak a word of English, and he was homesick – it wasn’t easy for him. I think the fact that his English has improved so much has helped him so much – it has enabled him to communicate with the crowd and with his coach. Now he is the highest ranked Japanese in their history. He’s a great player, he has great movement, and he’s a shot-maker.”

A country which gets its tennis from a television station called Wow Wow is never going to be restrained in their admiration and adulation. “It’s unbelievable the attention I get,” said Nishikori, whose father Kiyoshi is an engineer and whose mother Eri is a piano teacher. “In Tokyo and the other big cities, I always have people coming up to talk to me, to take pictures of me. Baseball and soccer are the most popular sports in Japan, but I hope I can make tennis more popular back home, I guess. It’s getting more popular already. All the kids are starting to play, and maybe that’s because of me.”

Roger Federer, who played and beat Nishikori in the final of last autumn’s tournament in Basle, agreed that Nishikori could achieve a single-digit ranking. “Ever since I played against him when he was 17, I have thought that he had great potential,” Federer has said. “I always saw a very talented player in front of me. I’m sure he’s going to be a wonderful player. Only the future will tell if he’s going to be in the top ten or the top five.”

Nishikori’s English has improved from listening to Brad Gilbert, who he has used a super-caffeinated, super-talkative coaching consultant. One of the reasons that Andy Murray ditched Gilbert was that the Scot could not take the constant chatter, but it would seem that Nishikori has been treating his time with Brad as a language class (a class in Brad-speak, a form of English in which everyone on the men’s tour has a nickname, and players are sometimes “taken to the woodshed”). “Brad is talking all day – that’s kind of new for me,” Nishikori has said. “It’s useful, I think for me to learn English.” When Nishikori first met Gilbert, the Japanese was sharing a room at the Bollettieri Academy with Gilbert’s son, Zach. “My first contact with Brad was through his son, and then Brad started coming to the academy as a ‘guest-coach’ and I got to know him even better.”

The Japanese tennis public are going to have to think of a new nickname for Nishikori.For years, he was known as ‘Project 45′, a reference to the ranking he would have to achieve to become the most successful Japanese male player in history, above Shuzo Matsuoka, Nishikori’s former coach [sic. Kei only joined Shuzo's summer tennis camp] and a former world number 46. A strong autumn push from Nishikori – he defeated Novak Djokovic in the semi-finals of the Basel tournament, after taking the final set 6-0 – took him past Matsuoka.

#3 Ferrero Tard
Old 02-14-2012, 05:35 AM   #413
country flag *bunny*

Tag Heuer has announced a sponsorship deal with Kei!
The Swiss company is the seventh sponsorship company for him.
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...000036-dal-spo (sorry it's in Japanese)
http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/n...14-903628.html (with a photo)

Also, UNIQLO announced yesterday it will start selling Kei's tennis wear line from April, at it's flagship shop in Tokyo's Ginza district as well as online.
http://store.uniqlo.com/jp/store/fea...utm_medium=cpc

====================
The past fortnight must have been a turbulent time for Kei. He had to prepare for Davis Cup, and the media literally mobbed him for so many TV appearances and other duties---newspapers, magazines, radio, and so on.

In the past, when foreign media wrote how Kei had a rock star status in Japan, I thought, well not quite, because tennis is not big in Japan and people who don't care about tennis hardly knew about him.
But he has made a real breakthrough Japanese media-wise since last autumn, after his run in Basel and Shanghai beating Djokovic, Tsonga et al and then reaching QF at AO. This also means he can no longer walk down on a street in Tokyo without being asked for an autograph even when wearing a cap and sunglasses for disguise.
Hope he can have some peaceful time on plane to Argentina!

#3 Ferrero Tard

Last edited by *bunny* : 02-14-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:16 AM   #414
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

I was very surprised to see him playing on clay in February. But I think it's a great decision. Shows a bit of adventure and opportunity to develop his clay game.

Hope he doesn't play JCF 1st round.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #415
country flag Rafkei

Rafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond repute

Bunny when/where is Kei's next tournament? Thanks
Old 02-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #416
country flag *bunny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafkei View Post
Bunny when/where is Kei's next tournament? Thanks
Buenos Aires next week. Then Acapulco before IW and Miami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnik View Post
I was very surprised to see him playing on clay in February. But I think it's a great decision. Shows a bit of adventure and opportunity to develop his clay game.
He's said time and again his favourite surface is clay, and RG is the slam he wants to win. Since he's had his big results on hard courts and he's based in US, it seems people think he's a hard court specialist but the fact is he's comfortable on all surfaces. But of course he lacks experiences of playing against clay specialists from Latin America and Spain, so I think it's a good idea for him to try his luck in BA and Mexico. (Also, his coach Dante is from Argentina so maybe he wanted to visit his home. lol)

Quote:
My thought exactly!!

#3 Ferrero Tard
Old 02-14-2012, 07:16 AM   #417
country flag DanaKz

DanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by *bunny* View Post
Tag Heuer has announced a sponsorship deal with Kei!
The Swiss company is the seventh sponsorship company for him.
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...000036-dal-spo (sorry it's in Japanese)
http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/n...14-903628.html (with a photo)
What??? No more funky watches?
Old 02-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #418
country flag DanaKz

DanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond repute

Old 02-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #419
country flag *bunny*

From Copa Claro official site:
http://copaclaro.com/atp/es/content/...encia%E2%80%9D
I read it with Babel Fish's help and Kei seems pretty motivated despite jet lag.

Nishikori: “Habrá mucha competencia”
El japonés se anima al polvo de ladrillo y al asado.

Buenos Aires, 17 de febrero 2012—Kei Nishikori prefiere la mesura. Fiel a la filosofía oriental, da pasos chicos pero seguros. Por eso, aunque se ilusiona con alcanzar las instancias finales de la Copa Claro, sabe que las prácticas serán importantes. “Por supuesto que quiero jugar bien y llegar lejos, pero es el primer torneo que juego en polvo de ladrillo en mucho tiempo y necesito acostumbrarme primero”, dice el japonés, de los primeros jugadores en arribar a Buenos Aires.
Nishikori, cuartofinalista en el Australian Open, decidió este año competir en la gira Latinoamericana de canchas lentas. “Creo que es bueno jugar sobre clay porque se muestran otros aspectos del juego, es una base diferente de tenis. Además, como vivo en Florida (EEUU) no me pareció tan lejos venir a jugar a Sudamérica ”, analiza el 18 del ranking.
Orientado por el entrenador argentino Dante Bottini, Nishikori aceptó el desafío de jugar la Copa Claro. “Es una lista muy dura. Hay muchos jugadores de buen ranking, muchos especialistas en canchas lentas por lo que habrá mucha competencia”, asegura Nishikori, que en 2006 fue campeón juvenil en el dobles de Roland Garros.
El japonés refuerza su teoría al recordar que David Nalbandian, Juan Carlos Ferrero o Fernando González no son preclasificados pero son una fuerte amenaza. De todas formas, ve a David Ferrer como candidato. “Me gustaría jugar en las ruedas finales contra él, siempre es un jugador complicado y más en polvo de ladrillo”, añade Nishikori.
A comienzos de su carrera, Nishikori fue apodado Project 45. Desde su país apostaba que mejoraría el ranking de Shuzo Matsuoka, que llegó a ser 46 en el ranking de julio de 1992. En octubre pasado, Nishikori quebró la marca y se instaló en el top-30. “Nunca sentí presión. Siempre es lindo hacer historia, eso me motiva”, asegura el joven que vive en Bradenton y sueña con ganar el US Open.
Luego de jugar Copa Davis, el vuelo de Nishikori salió de Tokio. Después de dos escalas y casi 30 horas en el aire, aterrizó en la capital argentina. Nishikori todavía sufre el jet-lag, aunque acepta sin reparos la doble tanda de entrenamientos. “No pude salir todavía porque vine desde Japón y llegué muy cansado. Pero creo que saldré las próximas noches. Seguramente voy a comer carne argentina, mi coach me va a llevar”, cuenta Nishikori que también probará el sushi en la Argentina. “En mi tiempo libre me gusta ir a comer buena comida. Es probable que vaya también a comer a restaurantes japoneses a probar el sushi de Buenos Aires“, promete.

#3 Ferrero Tard
Old 02-19-2012, 12:50 AM   #420
country flag *bunny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnik View Post
Jimnik, you jinxed them!!

#3 Ferrero Tard