Kei's news thread - Page 22 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-05-2011, 02:24 AM   #316
country flag *bunny*

*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kei's news thread

Bodo on Kei:

Rising Son
01/04/2011 - 2:05 PM
by Pete Bodo

It may be just Week 1 of the year, but some of the scores produced in these early days suggest that some players aren't especially interested in working into the flow, or pacing themselves. For them, the future is now. Case in point: Dinara Safina and Yanina Wickmayer, who played a real corker in Auckland yesterday, or tomorrow, or whenever it was (you know how they run the clocks down at the antipodes). But when the headline on a match contains the word "outlasts," you know the game is on.

Safina was not the only recently-injured player to bring her A game, and A motivation, to the first week of the year. The other day, Kei Nishikori of Japan via the IMG Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy hog-tied defending champ Marin Cilic in Chennai, 4-6, 7-6 (0), 6-2. "I’m a little bit disappointed the way I have started the year," Cilic admitted. "I wouldn’t say I played too bad … I didn’t have luck at crucial moments, the key points he played better than me."

Cilic has been one of the big young men lurking in the wings these past few years, while Roger and Rafa have shown no great desire to abandon the stage. Juan Martin del Potro, Tomas Berdych, Robin Soderling—all of them have matured more rapidly than Cilic. Although he hit a career-high No. 9 last February, partly on the strength of his win in Chennai and a semi at the Australian Open, the tall, raw-boned, rangy 22-year old Croatian was a bust at the other majors. He made the fourth round at Roland Garros, but lost his first match at Wimbledon and fell in a brutal, debilitating, suffocating second-round five-setter in intense heat and humidity at the U.S. Open to—Nishikori.

Cilic wilted in the heat in that one, 1-6 in the fifth. It was a big win for the 21-year old Japanese, who had missed most of 2009 with an elbow injury and had spent most of 2010 working his way back into the Top 100. Cilic, for his part, was hoping to retain his place in the elite Top 10 (Nishikori was more successful, as Cilic fell to No. 14 by year's end, while Nishikori once again became a double-digit man at No. 98).

It would be rash to say that Cilic is still heading south and Nishikori going north, but a mediocre showing in Melbourne combined with that first-round loss in Chennai would be a big blow to Cilic. For Nishikori, though, it's all up-side. You can look for him to bubble up swiftly in the rankings, given that he's got absolutely nothing to defend until late February. All in all, it's a tough time to be Cilic and a good time to be Nishkiori. Even better, now that the rising son has thrown in with Brad Gilbert.

At Bollettieri's, Nishikori was a roomate to Brad Gilbert's own kid, Zack. And Brad Gilbert's heavy and ever-increasing presence at the academy as one of Bollettieri's top inside men means that mentor and pupil can skip over the getting acquainted stage of a new coaching relationship. Still, as Gilbert told me this morning, "I need to watch Kei a little more, because it's different when you're the one calling shots or trying to make changes. But to me the most important thing is that Kei is just 21, which means that the mission right now is pretty simple. Get better, because you're young enough to. Work on a few things, take it slow because you have time."

Gilbert is commited to 15 weeks with Nishikori, none of which will be (officially, at any rate) at Grand Slam events, because at the majors Gilbert will have his hands full with the day job as an ESPN commentator. The men will get together in Adelaide in a few days time, and Gilbert will probably do the U.S. winter swing—San Jose, Memphis, Indian Wells, Key Biscayne. By the end of that stretch, Gilbert is likely to know every nook and cranny in Nishikori's game—and Kei will likely to be able to recite the batting average of every third baseman who ever hefted a bat for the Oakland A's.

"Kei has a great foundation," Gilbert said. "He's got outstanding groundstrokes, and good movement. But at his size (5-10, 150 lbs), he won't be able to rely on bombing aces. He'll need to be fitter than fit, ready to go out there and and stay there a long, long time. My gut feeling is that he'll need to get stronger, because that's the way he's going to maximize his game."

As he demonstrated in the win over Cilic in New York, Nishikori has the warrior gene. He's tough, and has perhaps over-emphasized the value of long, intense training sessions—the ball-whacking aspect of development. As his hiatus lengthened in 2009, some observers felt that he enjoyed the respite from competition a little too much. It would be understandable, because Nishikori was under significant pressure soon after he made his first big rankings move, shooting up more than 200 ranking positions in 2008 to finish as the youngest player in the Top 100.

That was big and welcome news, in Japan. Although his work was just beginning, Nishikori was the object of intense interest at home, and he pulled down some hefty sponsorships (with, among others, Nissan[sic] and Sony). The obligations that accompany such rewards are significant; combined with the years of full-on training at the Tennis Academy, they may have dulled Nishikori's enthusiasm and appetite. It's a common enough tale, especially in nations where the interest in tennis is keen and top players scarce. The right elbow injury gave Nishikori time—and a reason—to pull back and draw a good, long breath.

"One of the first big things Brad brings to the table for Kei is excitement," Bollettieri told me, describing his own role in the evolving Nishikori saga as that of "the grandfather."

"Brad may have had the ugliest game ever, but he had a lot of pizz-azz. I think he can get Kei to really enjoy what's doing. I think Brad's going to tell him, 'You gotta open up a little bit, be yourself, enjoy and appreciate what you're doing. I also believe Kei can benefit from having shorter practices. He no longer needs to go out there and grind it for five, six hours—not when he's out playing a full schedule on the tour. You can put in less time, especially if you make up for it in intensity."

Gilbert sees Nishikori as a "bulldog." He's already told his protege to watch and model himself on David Ferrer, or Nikolay Davydenko. These are the role models for a player with Nishikori's physique and skill (and power) set. "There are still smaller guys around who are successful," Gilbert said, "Just like there are 5-9 power pitchers in baseball."

After his win over Cilic, Nishikori also suggested that he knows the territory he must stake out. “Not to miss easy balls, not doing crazy stuff...(to play) more percentage tennis,” he told the AP. “In the second set I tried to make most of my first serves...I was making him move.”

It appears that the bulldog has the bone; he just needs to learn to enjoy gnawing on it.

------------------------------------
Bodo, Nissan is not Kei's sponsor. I think he was quoting from Kei's profile page on ATP, which mistakenly lists Nissan as his sponsor. I think they confused Nisshin Foods with Nissan.

Also supporting Rafael Nadal, Kei Nishikori, Lleyton Hewitt
David Ferrer, Andy Murray, Juan Martin Del Potro, Nikolay Davydenko, David Nalbandian
Goran Ivanisevic and Marat Safin
#3 Ferrero Tard

Last edited by *bunny* : 01-05-2011 at 02:32 AM.
*bunny* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2011, 03:49 AM   #317
country flag DanaKz

DanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond repute

Nice article. I really have heard this "bulldog" metaphor for Kei earlier, but don't remember when and where
Old 01-06-2011, 01:58 AM   #318
country flag *bunny*

*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute

I posted two articles on Kei in this post but had a second thought and reposted them on the tournament thread because it's about his win over Cilic.
http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...0&postcount=70

David Ferrer, Andy Murray, Juan Martin Del Potro, Nikolay Davydenko, David Nalbandian
#3 Ferrero Tard

Last edited by *bunny* : 01-06-2011 at 02:27 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:28 AM   #319
country flag Rafkei

Rafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond repute

Another article where Kei is mentioned:

It says: Kei Nishikori: The 21-year-old Japanese player is Brad Gilbert's latest project, Gilbert having signed on for some four months of work in between his ESPN assignments. Nishikori roomed with Gilbert's son, Zack, at the Bollettieri Academy, so this coach-player relationship has a bit of history. Nishikori is just 5-10, 150, but Gilbert really likes his groundstrokes, movement and mental toughness. A player worth watching.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1ArEkZhi3

Honestly, i'm beginning to get tired of the Brad Gilbert thing. I mean him being always mentioned in the article about Kei like he will be the Mesiah that would uplift Kei's game. I believe in his coaching abilities and being able to really take into new heights the players that he coaches. But i just hope that in the end, if ever Kei would be successful (im sure he will be) he'll be known for what he has done in the sport and not because he was coached by Brad
Old 01-17-2011, 05:15 AM   #320
country flag DanaKz

DanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond repute

Steve Tignors report
“Fabio!”

The Australian Open is approximately 20 minutes old and it’s already gone south for Italy’s temperamental Fabio Fognini. He has one fan in the audience on Court 8, a loutish young character with a paste of brown scruff across the bottom of his face, a comically tall Heineken hat towering over his head, and a beer in his hand—it is getting close to noon, after all. The young Fognini acolyte leans back and shouts his support again. “Fabio!” On the next point, Fognini loses his serve to go down 4-1. He takes a ball and slams it into the back fence. It misses a ball kid by two feet.

The rest of the crowd, or at least 95 percent of them, are for Fognini’s opponent, Kei Nishikori. The Aussie Open gave itself a catchy subtitle a few years ago, the “Grand Slam of Asia/Pacific,” with the goal of marketing itself to, well, you know. There is a big Asian contingent on the grounds, and they’ve filled both viewing areas, a moderate-size set of bleachers on one side and a grassy, tree-shaded area on the other side. A Japanese flag flies in the corner. Nishikori’s support is large but quiet. Fognini’s sole supporter drowns them out all by himself.

Nishikori is a pure product of the Bollettieri school, where he trains. Everything is smooth and by the Bradenton textbook. He needs that kind of timing to make up for his lack of size; he’s an unprepossessing 5-foot-10. But while he doesn’t have anything unique, Nishikori isn’t a machine. Late in the first set he sets up for a forehand, only to come under it at the last second and hit an ungettable drop shot. His fans come to life at this bit of chicanery: “Oooh,” swirls through the stands. There’s a lot here for Nishikori’s new part-time coach, Brad Gilbert, to work with.

(Still, I can’t help remembering a very different-looking Nishikori on a practice court at Bollettieri’s three years ago. He was hitting serves next to a 10-year-old girl, and neither was taking it very seriously. Finally, the coach on the court, Red Ayme, got fed up. He spotted a pretty girl walking past who was also an academy student. Ayme called out to her, “Hey, I’m betting that Kei can’t serve any better than a 10-year-old girl.” She stopped, laughing. Nishikori and the little girl got five serves each. Everyone on the courts stood to see the duel. The girl hit four of five serves in. Nishikori made three of his first four, but, with Ayme yelling in his ear, he missed the fifth. He’d lost. “Nice try, Kei,” the pretty girl said as she walked away.)

Early in the second set, Fognini is called for a foot fault. He drops his racquet, throws his hands in the air, and yells. He’s rattled. After the next point, he motions to the ball boy to get him a water bottle. When the kid brings it back to him, he waves him away without taking a drink. The crowd begins to laugh. Fognini is going to blow at some point, and they can’t wait to see it. At 4-5, he hits four awful shots in a row, capped by a shanked forehand that flies close to the back fence. When it lands out, Fognini takes his racquet and slams it into his chair on the sideline. The guy next to me yells, “Yes!” and he and his friend high five. The crowd cheers more loudly than they have for anything else. The chair umpire says, “Warning, Mr. Fognini.” Fognini claps with the rest of the crowd.

“At least this guy gives some entertainment.”

It's the fourth set now, and Fabio Fognini has put his racquet on the court and is clapping in the direction of the umpire. He thinks the ump has made another terrible call. The crowd claps with Fognini and at him at the same time—they’re against him, but they want more craziness from him. Fognini gives it to them. He takes three balls from the ball boy and bounces them out of the court. Then he looks at the ball boy, who puts his hands out as if to say, “I don’t have any left, you just took them all, remember?” Fognini shakes his head in disgust.

Nishikori serves for the match. At 40-30, Fognini has a chance, but he shanks a forehand 10 feet long. His racquet follows and lands in the net. The players shake hands. Fognini approaches the umpire, but instead of extending his hand, he flashes two fingers up at him. The message is clear: It might as well have been one. The crowd loves it. Fabio Fognini is good value.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:05 AM   #321
country flag DanaKz

Press-conference

Quote:
Q. Tough match first up.

KEI NISHIKORI: Yeah.

Q. He had chances; you had your chances. There wasn't a lot in it.

KEI NISHIKORI: Yeah, it was tough condition today. Really windy. And, you know, but it wasn't hot, so it was okay.

Yeah, I started well, like unusual. You know, that second game, I should get the second game. I had a breakpoints, and I just miss an easy volley. He came back, and, yeah, after that it was many rallies and he didn't miss much.

I was up tiebreak, but he came back. It was mentally tough for me. But, you know, I came back well fourth set, break his game 2 All. After that, I was playing well I think.

Q. Are you overall happy with how you played?

KEI NISHIKORI: Yeah, I mean, like this today, you know, it's no going to be hundred percent. But I think I played good enough to, you know, win today.

Q. You were ill last week. Can you let us know what happened there and what the setback was?

KEI NISHIKORI: Oh, yeah, I had a stomach problem. I don't know why the reason, but I think maybe from India. I had an all day flight, so maybe from that. Yeah, I had a tough the stomach problem three days.

Q. And you're working with Brad Gilbert as your coach.

KEI NISHIKORI: Yes.

Q. How is that going?

KEI NISHIKORI: It's been well. Working pretty good. He gave me already good advice. And, like, my tennis is changing.

So it's been working well I think.

Q. You came into the net quite a lot today. Is that something you're changing in your game or has that always been a strength?

KEI NISHIKORI: Not much. I should come more net. I think that was normal for me, but I should have gone to the net more today.

Q. What are the new things you want to change in your game?

KEI NISHIKORI: No many mistakes and no crazy miss and play steady. I have to work on my serve a little more. But I want to increase more percentage for my first serve, second serve.

Yeah, I think those two are like main things for me.

Q. How will Brad Gilbert work with you? Does he travel with you some of the time?

KEI NISHIKORI: Just 15 weeks for one year. From December we start together. He came to academy at Bollettieri's. I went to his house to train couple days before started this year.

So, yeah, it's been like on and off.

Q. Dante Bottini, does he continue to be your full time coach?

Q. He travels with you all the time?

Q. Brad Gilbert is here in Melbourne or not?

KEI NISHIKORI: He's here, but he's doing the ESPN thing. So, you know, he can't come watch. But we talk together at night about the matches.

Q. What's the best piece of advice that Brad has given you so far?

KEI NISHIKORI: I don't know I should say here (smiling).

But, no, he's really good. I think we gonna be good, I don't know, relationship or something. Yeah, it's going to be good, yeah.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports
Old 01-17-2011, 05:39 PM   #322
country flag *bunny*

Thanx, Dana!

#3 Ferrero Tard
Old 01-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #323
country flag silverwhite

silverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, Fognini
silverwhite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:26 AM   #324
country flag *bunny*

I've posted Kei's postmatch interview after AO R2 on the tournament thread:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...&postcount=307

#3 Ferrero Tard
Old 01-23-2011, 11:40 PM   #325
country flag Rafkei

Rafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond repute

;-)

Last edited by Rafkei : 01-24-2011 at 04:01 AM.
Rafkei is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #326
country flag *bunny*

From ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/ten...shi&id=6124008

Who's the next big thing in tennis?
Originally Published: February 15, 2011
By Kamakshi Tandon
Special to ESPN.com

Last season was a tough one for ATP prospects. The big prizes went to mid-career veterans, while up-and-comers like Juan Martin del Potro, Marin Cilic, Ernests Gulbis and Thiemo de Bakker fizzled for one reason or another. Now another group of fresh faces is making some noise, signaling this could be a better year for young contenders. We take a look at the five hottest 21-and-unders, led by last week's San Jose titlist, Milos Raonic.

1. Milos Raonic

He sent out a sign of things to come in Montreal two years ago, getting into the main draw as a qualifying wild card and holding a match point against Fernando Gonzalez before nerves took hold. Things went largely quiet until he burst on to the scene in Australia last month, reaching the second week as a qualifier and leading the tournament in aces. Last week, the 6-foot-5 20-year-old from Toronto blasted his way to his first ATP title in San Jose, vaulting himself up to the head of the current list of prospects on the tour.

A turning point came after Raonic qualified for the U.S. Open last summer and, tired from his efforts, fell in the first round. He vowed never to lose a match because of fitness again and began working with Spanish coach Galo Blanco in October to toughen him up physically. Raonic also has improved mentally, even though he confesses he's still prone to fiery losses once in a while. With a 15-3 record this year, it looks like he's started to pull everything together and is up to No. 59 in the rankings. Now comes yet another test -- adjusting his mindset and his schedule to match his new status.

2. Richard Berankis

This 20-year-old from Lithuania was the highest-ranked player under 21 until Raonic defeated him in the quarterfinals of San Jose and leapfrogged him this week. The two couldn't be more of a contrast, with the 5-foot-9 Berankis whizzing around the court with explosive strokes that belie his small frame. He's qualified for the previous three Grand Slams and won rounds each time. Now he'll start to get directly into big tournaments and should become a bigger name -- even though he's recently shortened it from the original "Ricardas." It only remains to be seen whether he can bring down the very biggest guns.

3. Kei Nishikori

It feels like this 21-year-old has been around for a while, having won his first tour title in Delray Beach all the way back in 2008. He became an overnight sensation in Japan after the win, but his progress in the past couple of seasons has been slowed by injuries, and he's currently ranked No. 68.

Another small player at 5-foot-10, his speed and rock-solid groundstrokes nevertheless make him very tough when he's playing well. He also faces the question of whether he has enough firepower to defeat the very best, but marathon performances against del Potro
[hmmm does she mean the three setter in 2008? ] and Cilic at recent U.S. Opens have showed his competitiveness. Now working part-time with Brad Gilbert, he needs another big result to put him back on the map.

4. Grigor Dimitrov

The most-hyped of this bunch and arguably the most talented, "Baby Federer" has been putting in the hard yards at challenger events and has clawed his way into the top 100. He won three straight challengers after the U.S. Open, no easy feat, and reached another final and semifinal, losing to Nicolas Mahut and Berankis, respectively.

The 19-year-old from Bulgaria seems to have received a boost after starting to work with coach Peter McNamara last summer. But like many talented players, he can be mentally inconsistent and could take a little longer to make a big push.

5. Ryan Harrison

The 18-year-old Harrison is the baby of this group, and still well outside the top 100 at No. 142. But he recently won a strong challenger event in Hawaii and has been consistently winning matches at that level. After his breakout mini-run at the U.S. Open, Harrison cemented his position as the next big thing in American tennis by winning the USTA wild-card playoffs for the Australian Open, but then lost tamely in the first round.

Though mature beyond his years, his all-around game isn't quite ready for the big time just yet, and he's searching for a new coach after parting ways with Martin Damm. Getting into the top 100 this year would be a good target.

Honorable mention

Bernard Tomic. The 18-year-old Australian reached the third round of the Australian Open last month and always seems to deliver at home, but has had trouble producing the best of his skillful stroke play during the day-to-day rigors of the circuit.

Kamakshi Tandon is a freelance tennis writer for ESPN.com.

#3 Ferrero Tard
Old 02-17-2011, 02:16 PM   #327
country flag *bunny*

Kei's official site has had a facelift.
It's now easier to navigate although contents in English are only his profile, results and direct link to facebook (click "Fan Page"). Sure the contents in the English version of the blog in the old site was basically the same with his facebook and he writs his blog only in Japanese anyway.
I like the photo of him holding the trophey of the national championship for elementary school kids in 2001. (It's one of the pics on top of the Profille page).

#3 Ferrero Tard
Old 02-26-2011, 06:12 AM   #328
country flag *bunny*

This story is now top on Tennis.com.
Not much new stuff, just reviews of the things that were covered in 2008, but includes some nice new quotes from Kei.

http://tennis.com/articles/templates...10767&zoneid=9

Toughing It Out: Nishikori Returns to Scene of Triumph
By Cindy Shmerler - Friday, February 25, 2011

DELRAY BEACH, Fla.—Kei Nishikori sits placidly in a straight-back chair, his hands clasped together, fingers gently intertwined, dark hair spiking skyward, a confident smile creeping across his still-baby face. The Japanese cameraman has been peppering Nishikori with questions and the 21-year-old is politely doing his best to oblige with cogent answers. But for Nishikori, explaining the last three years since his breakout performance and first ATP tour title at the International Tennis Championships in Delray Beach is about as easy as translating his innermost thoughts from Japanese to English.

“It was really tough,” Nishikori later reiterates several times when asked to describe his forced eight-month hiatus from the game due to a right elbow injury. “My ranking was going up, up. I was 56, and then I got the injury. I had MRIs in New York and Japan and they couldn’t see anything. It take so much time to decide to have the surgery. Mentally I was really down and tired. It was a really tough decision for me.”

Nishikori seems both relaxed and relieved to be back in Delray, where, after losing in the first round last year, he has now reached the semifinals with wins over Brian Dabul, James Blake—runner-up here in 2007 and 2008 but a wild card this year due to his No. 144 ranking—and Ryan Sweeting. Should Nishikori go on to win the tournament, his ranking would rise to within the world’s Top 50.

It seems a career ago when Nishikori, then just 18 years old, qualified in just his sixth ATP event in Delray Beach and then stunned four Americans—Amer Delic, Bobby Reynolds, third-seeded Sam Querrey (saving four match points in the process) and No. 1 Blake—to win the ITC Championship, becoming the youngest man to win an ATP title since then-16-year-old Lleyton Hewitt captured Adelaide 10 years earlier. He was also the first Japanese man to win a tour event since Shuzo Matsuoka was victorious in Seoul in 1992.

(Matsuoka is perhaps better known for inspiring the tour’s “cramping rule” that allows for players to be tended to on-court without defaulting for a physical loss of condition. He reluctantly forfeited a first-round U.S. Open match against Czech Petr Korda on the Grandstand in 1995 while writhing on the court in pain.)

Within five months of winning in Delray in 2008, Nishikori reached the round of 16 at the U.S. Open, capturing the hearts and imagination of the discerning New York fans with his five-set win over fourth-seeded David Ferrer. Though he fell in the fourth round to Juan Martin del Potro, Nishikori had made his entrance onto one of the biggest stages in tennis. Then, after struggling through the first three months of 2009, he was out for the rest of the season, back home in Japan, re-learning to bend his arm and doing post-surgery rehab every day for two months.

“It was really tough,” says Nishikori, who heralded his return to the tour last year by winning four Challenger events and then qualifying for the U.S. Open, where he upset Marin Cilic in five sets in four hours and 59 minutes in the second round. “I was trying to get out of tennis, trying not to see anything. Because if I see it, I really want to play. I was trying my best not to think about tennis.

“It says a lot about him and his tennis that he is only 21 years old and he has been able to come back from a big injury,” says Nishikori’s coach, Dante Bottini, who works with him fulltime through the IMG/Bollettieri Tennis Academy. Nishikori also recently signed on former top tenner Brad Gilbert, who he met when he roomed with his son, Zack, for 10-15 weeks a year. “But he is still young and has a lot to learn. I love his backhand but right now we are working especially on his serve and his defense.”

Nishikori was just 14 when he left his home in Shimane, Japan, for tennis’ most famed sweatshop in Bradenton, Florida. According to Nishikori, the only thing the “small city” of Shimane is known for is its proximity to Hiroshima, site of the U.S.’ launching of the atomic bomb at the end of World War II. As luck would have, Shimane also boasted a tennis court just five minutes from the home Nishikori shared with his mother, Eri, a piano teacher; father, Kiyoshi, an engineer; and older sister, Reina.

As the youngster’s tennis improved he quickly outgrew his local sparring partners. Then, thanks to a grant from Sony CEO Masaaki Morita, Nishikori and a few fellow select Japanese juniors were sent to train at IMG’s Bollettieri academy.

“It was hard,” says Nishikori of the adjustment to the U.S. and the academy existence. “But because I came with three other friends and one Japanese coach was with me all the time; it wasn’t, like, horrible. But I was still struggling to make friends and learn English.

“But I was really enjoying the tennis, Nishikori adds. “It was fun to play with good guys, strong players and have good weather all the time.”

“It wasn’t as tough for Kei because everyone knew him there and he was with IMG and his agent was there,” says Gastao Elia, who roomed with Nishikori in the academy dorms for a year before Nishikori went off-campus into housing of his own. “Everyone knew who he was and had a lot of respect for him. He didn’t play that many junior tournaments (though he did win the French Open junior doubles in 2006 with Argentine Emiliano Massa and ranked No. 7 in the ITF singles rankings) because he moved up to the pros pretty quickly. He was really fast, had good technique and you could see that he had a lot of potential.

“But he was also very reserved and very quiet,” adds Elia. “Other than tennis, he stayed in the room a lot, talking to his friends on the computer or watching Japanese cartoons. He wasn’t the kid of guy who would ever get in trouble. He’s very Asian, reserved and respectful. He doesn’t share that much of his life.”

One thing that Nishikori has shared is Project 45, the name for his goal of surpassing Matsuoka’s career high ranking of No. 46 in 1992—the highest ever for a Japanese male. While Japanese women—including 40-year-old Kimiko Date Krumm—have achieved relative success at the professional level, Japanese men have struggled. Nishikori is hoping to change that. And now that he has faced adversity at such a young age, Nishikori believes he is better prepared for the future.

“I learned so many things when I was injured,” he says. “I have to take care of my body more, start with little things like stretching and massage. But right now I’m just enjoying playing tennis and playing well.

“Of course, my goal is No. 1,” Nishikori adds when asked what he dreams of. Then, with a playful smile, he throws in, “And my favorite tournament is the French Open. I have good memories there. Yeah, I hope I can win the French Open.”

#3 Ferrero Tard
Old 02-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #329
country flag chewy

chewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond repute

There's a thread on GM about nicknames for players and I've posted a few already.
Anyone who can think of more please add to it, here's the link;
http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...1#post10809169
Hyeon Chung | Dennis Istomin | Ze Zhang | Go Soeda | Tatsuma Ito | Yuichi Sugita | Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi | Rohan Bopanna | Danai Udomchoke | Tsung-Hua Yang | Hiroki Moriya | Mao-Xin Gong | Hyung-Taik Lee | Paradorn Srichaphan | Takao Suzuki

Fernando Gonzalez | Max Mirnyi | Jo-Wilfried Tsonga | Tommy Haas | Ricardas Berankis | Xavier Malisse | Andreas Seppi | David Ferrer | Juan Martin Del Potro | Tim Smyczek | Olivier Rochus | Victor Troicki | Horatio Zeballos | Lleyton Hewitt | Nick Kyrgios | Mario Ancic | Peter Luczak

ATP Tokyo 2012, ATP Memphis 2013 Champion Kei Nishikori
chewy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #330
country flag *bunny*

Chewy, I think you covered most of them, including the ones I don't know.
I saw Special K on Tennis.com after his Delray win, but maybe they don't use it anymore.

#3 Ferrero Tard