Kei's news thread - Page 21 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #301
country flag DanaKz

DanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kei's news thread

From Kei's facebook:
Quote:
I made a couple of changes to my coaching team for 2011. I am starting to work full-time with Bollettieri Elite coach Dante Bottini. In addition to that, Brad Gilbert will consult the team and come with me to about 15 tournaments during the 2011 season. Very excited about this move. Brad was in Bradenton last week and I will spend a couple of days at his house before going to Chennai
No more Glenn? I like Glenn... Pity
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2010, 03:08 AM   #302
country flag *bunny*

*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute

From Kei's facebook

Kei's new team
From left: Dante Bottini, Nick Bollettieri, Kei, Brad Gilbert and Chip Brooks.

Kei with Dante and Brad.

-------------------------

Well, I miss Glenn too...but I hope this new arrangement will work out well for Kei.
As a player, Brad couldm't be more different from Kei. Brad made the most of few weapons he had and reached #4 in the rankings and won 20 titles, whereas Kei likes to go for risky winners than hitting a safer but less flashy shot. I can kinda see Brad's winning at all cost philosophy clashing with Kei's love for taking risks...but if they can overcome the difference and understand each other it would be a very fruitful relationship.

As for Bottini, I did a bit of reseach and he's a former NCAA second division player and has coached Paola Suarez. Obviously he's been working at Nick's for some years. I like it that Kei will be working with an Argentine guy. Should be good for his clay court game.

Also supporting Rafael Nadal, Kei Nishikori, Lleyton Hewitt
David Ferrer, Andy Murray, Juan Martin Del Potro, Nikolay Davydenko, David Nalbandian
Goran Ivanisevic and Marat Safin
#3 Ferrero Tard
*bunny* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:31 AM   #303
country flag *bunny*

*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute

For the record:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Ten...Nishikori.aspx

Gilbert To Help Nishikori Next Year
Bradenton, Florida
by ATP Staff | 21.12.2010

Former World No. 4 and renowned coach Brad Gilbert has agreed to help Kei Nishikori as a consultant at 15 tournaments next year.

“I have been working at the IMG Bollettieri Academy for a few years now, helping out Kei and other players,” Gilbert told ATPWorldTour.com.

“I decided to expand my role with Kei to 15 tournaments, but TV work with ESPN will remain my first priority.”

Since retiring in 1994, Gilbert has coached Andre Agassi (1994-2002), Andy Roddick (2003-04) and Andy Murray (2006-07).

Nishikori, currently No. 98 in the South African Airways 2010 ATP Rankings, is excited about adding Gilbert to his team.

“Brad’s knowledge as a former top player, as well as his coaching success, is something that can help me become a better player.”

The Japanese star will continue to travel full-time with his coach, Dante Bottini. After one week’s training at Gilbert’s house in California, he will start the 2011 season at the Aircel Chennai Open in India.

In September, the 20 year old advanced to the US Open third round (l. to Montanes), which represented his best Grand Slam performance since 2008.

http://nickstennispicks.com/

Kei Nishikori and world renowned tennis coach Brad Gilbert form team
December 21, 2010

Top-100 Japanese tennis player Kei Nishikori has added Brad Gilbert, one of the game’s most sought-after coaches, as his new traveling coach and mentor, for the 2011 season.

Kei Nishikori will be expanding his IMG Academies coaching team with a consulting role for Brad Gilbert. Gilbert is currently a guest coach at the Bradenton, Fla.-based IMG Bollettieri Tennis Academy, where Nishikori trains year-round under the tutelage of legendary coach Nick Bollettieri and his world class staff.

A fierce competitor, Nishikori ended his 2010 season with one goal in mind – to make 2011 his best season of record. To help him achieve this, he has sought assistance from Gilbert, the man Andre Agassi relied on for nearly a decade, coaching him to six Grand Slam titles between 1994 and 2002. Gilbert has also coached Andy Roddick and Andy Murray. Said Gilbert, “Kei is a fierce young competitor. He knows what he wants from the game of tennis. I’m excited to expand my relationship with the IMG Bollettieri Tennis Academy and help consult Kei during the 2011 season.” Both Brad Gilbert and his sister Dana Gilbert were students at the IMG Bollettieri Tennis Academy in the 80s.

“I am excited about the addition of Brad to my team. Brad’s knowledge as a former top player, as well as his coaching success, is something that can help me become a better player,” added Nishikori.

In the 2011 season, Nishikori will travel full-time with IMG Bollettieri elite coach Dante Bottini. Bottini is a long-time member of Nick’s elite coaching staff.

Added Bollettieri, “As a coach, Brad adds the little things to a player that make a big difference in the higher echelon of the game. Brad’s long-term relationship with the Academy and me as a student, a player, and a guest coach, make Brad a great addition to consult Kei’s coaching team, as well as to assist the program at the IMG Bollettieri Tennis Academy.”

Nishikori returned to play in February 2010 after a year-long lay-off following elbow surgery. He won consecutive ATP Tour Challenger series titles at Savannah and Sarasota in May, before playing in his first French Open shortly thereafter. By summer’s end, the 20-year old advanced through to the third round of the U.S. Open, posting his best Grand Slam finish since 2008.

David Ferrer, Andy Murray, Juan Martin Del Potro, Nikolay Davydenko, David Nalbandian
#3 Ferrero Tard
Old 12-25-2010, 12:08 PM   #304
country flag misty1
Banned!

misty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond repute

heard about this and not sure what to think..hopefully it works out well
misty1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:29 AM   #305
country flag DanaKz

DanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond repute

Happy birthday Kei!
Old 12-29-2010, 05:23 AM   #306
country flag *bunny*

HAPPY 21st BIRTHDAY, KEI!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty1 View Post
heard about this and not sure what to think..hopefully it works out well
Yeah, I can imagine Kei overwhelmed by Brad's nonstop machinegun talk!
I had a feeling that Gilbert gets on well with guys like Agassi and Roddick, who can engage thsemselves in verbal sparring with him. Kei is shy and reserved, and has admitted in the past that he's pretty stubborn as well.
But Gilbert must be aware of that as well and be taking into consideration that Kei is his first charge who's not from an English speaking country.

According to Kei's blog and Facebook he spent four days at Brad's house and is now on his way to India.

As for the TV show he referred to in Facebook, it's a New Year sports variety show hosted by popular comedian duo the Tunnels (or Tonneruzu). They play various sports for fun with top athletes. This year's participants include figure skating stars Mao Asada, Miki Ando, Daisuke Takahashi, Takahiko Kozuka and Nobunari Oda (but somehow they will play table tennis with the Tunnels. lol), young golf stars Ryo Ishikawa and Ai Miyazato, as well as several soccer and baseball players. Shuzo and Kei are the sole tennis representatives. The show is five-hour long and the bit Kei took part in was shot during his stay in Japan in early December. I think the parts with the other athletes have been or will be taken separately on other occasions because for example figure skaters have just finished their national competition this weekend.

And sorry, I haven't reported about the documentary on Kei and Kimiko, which was aired in Japan before Christmas.
It was 100 minutes long and followed Kei's and Kimiko's 2010 season from the beginning to the end, highlighting their wins at GS.
Kei said that after he came back in Delray Beach and lost to Benjamin Beckyer in R1 in February, the elbow pain recurred and it was during a practice session in early April that he had no pain at all for the very first time since the surgery. At that time he was thinking about returning to Japan if the pain continued for another two weeks.
He was happy with his five-set victory over Santiago Giraldo at RG, and playing two top players---Djokovic at RG and Nadal at Wimbledon---soon afterward was a very good experience to see where his game was at.
But he was still unsure about his game---the feel on the racket when he hit the ball was not the same as before at that point.
Actually he had to wait until the Binghamton challenger in August to get the sensation back. During QF against Brian Dabul, Kei felt his game (taking control of rallies and finishing the point with FH) was coming together again for the first time since the injury.
So beating Cilic in five hours at USO really gave him confidence, but he was all the more unhappy with his poor showing in the Asian swing. He said he felt most down after the losses in Kuala Lumpur, Tokyo and Shanghai. He was already ranked around 120 at that time but he still needed more than 100 points to return to top 100 (which was his goal for the year) and to be able to enter AO directly.
He entered the challengers in November knowing he must win at least one of them, so actually winning in the Knoxville and solidified his return to top 100 made him really happy.
Asked about the differences in how players are treated at challengers and the ATP tour level tournaments, he said there are differences but he didn't mind them at all. Yet he added, with a shy smile, he doesn't want to play challengers always.

#3 Ferrero Tard

Last edited by *bunny* : 12-29-2010 at 05:34 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:51 AM   #307
country flag DanaKz

Yay bunny!!! You are the best! Thank you so much!

Could you please describe Kimiko's part too

P.S. I am Takahiko's fan. Happy he won Nationals
Old 12-30-2010, 01:15 AM   #308
country flag kinokino

kinokino has a reputation beyond reputekinokino has a reputation beyond reputekinokino has a reputation beyond reputekinokino has a reputation beyond reputekinokino has a reputation beyond reputekinokino has a reputation beyond reputekinokino has a reputation beyond reputekinokino has a reputation beyond reputekinokino has a reputation beyond reputekinokino has a reputation beyond reputekinokino has a reputation beyond repute

Happy day after your birthday, Kei!!!
Thanks for the report, bunny!

I wish you a happy new year, guys.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:57 AM   #309
country flag *bunny*

Hey Kinokino, I think you already know it but that show is on TV Asahi from 6:30 p.m. on Sunday. It's five hour long and the tennis bit is apparently the fourth of the five parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaKz View Post
Yay bunny!!! You are the best! Thank you so much!

Could you please describe Kimiko's part too

P.S. I am Takahiko's fan. Happy he won Nationals
Hi Dana, I was going to post about Kimiko's part but I haven't got much time on me so I will do it next week. She also made a quite harsh comment on young Japanese players in an interview in the latest issue of Tennis Magazine here, which was interesting nonetheless.
Glad you like Takahiko. I like him too and think his skating is always clean and beautiful. But my favourite male Japanese skater atm is the young Yuzuru Hanyu. He will be good! (And my all-time fave is Johnny Weir! )
I found this trailer about the figure skaters' part in that sports variety show: (Yeah, the tall guy in the yellow T-shirt is not a figure skater but Shuzo Matsuoka--- He's such a clown! )
Couldn't find Kei's part. Sorry!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG4rT0DRFcQ

-------------------------------------------

Btw, I will be going to my parents' house in another part of Tokyo until Monday. And it seems my dad' PC is not working. So, will any of you start the Chennai thread with the draw? The draw should be released tomorrow. Thanx!

And HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU!

#3 Ferrero Tard

Last edited by *bunny* : 12-31-2010 at 05:19 AM.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:32 AM   #310
country flag DanaKz

Done! Made new thread. Cilic in first round, can't believe my eyes.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:08 AM   #311
country flag DanaKz

O_o Surprise by surprise

Quote:
Exciting day. Playing my first match later today against Cilic. Also excited to announce that I have signed a 5 year agreement with UniQlo and will be wearing their clothing line starting this week.
Kei switched from Adidas???? Unbelievable.

Googled like an idiot but didn't find any pic of UniQlo tennis gear.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #312
country flag *bunny*

Quote:
Googled like an idiot but didn't find any pic of UniQlo tennis gear.
That's because Kei is the first player to wear their clothes!
They are just venturing into sports gear business (they've made Olympic and soccer uniforms in the past though) and I'm sure they're trying to use Kei as their poster boy.

Mind you Uniqlo is huge in Japan. The company is doing damn well in this bleak economic climate Japan is going through. They are known for manufacturing and selling simple design clothes at cheap prices (I havd loads of their clothes too) and have opened factories and stores outside Japan as well. I hear they are doing pretty well in China and Russia.

But I think most fans wanted Kei to stick with Adidas.
The attire Kei is wearing in Chennai looks OK...but it smacks of a Davis Cup or Olumpic uniform!
I wonder whether Kei stopped wearing Adidas shoes as well. Uniqlo is no shoemaker so I doubt they can manufacture good pairs of tennis shoes fit for a pro.

#3 Ferrero Tard

Last edited by *bunny* : 01-03-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:40 AM   #313
country flag DanaKz

Thanks for info *bunny* This UniQlo clothing looks a little bit plain, but, as I said in other thread, it's better than weird crews from Verdasco line they adidas dressed him.

And his shoes seems to be adidas. Look like Barricade 6, though we have to wait for better picture of them
Old 01-04-2011, 05:32 AM   #314
Ivanatis

Ivanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond repute

good win, hope he can back it up with another one; Falla in form can be dangerous though
Ivanatis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #315
country flag *bunny*

Quote:
Thanks for info *bunny* This UniQlo clothing looks a little bit plain, but, as I said in other thread, it's better than weird crews from Verdasco line they adidas dressed him.

And his shoes seems to be adidas. Look like Barricade 6, though we have to wait for better picture of them
That's a relief to know his shoes seem to be still Adidas.

And I lied. Kei is not the first tennis player to have a clothing deal with UNIQLO. Wheelchair tennis champ Shingo Kunieda also wears UNIQLO attire. Not a bad company to have for Kei!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanatis View Post
good win, hope he can back it up with another one; Falla in form can be dangerous though
Hya Ivanatis! This is not the tournament thread!

Happy New Year to you!

#3 Ferrero Tard