Kei's news thread - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-30-2008, 01:15 AM   #16
country flag tennisace21

tennisace21 has a reputation beyond reputetennisace21 has a reputation beyond reputetennisace21 has a reputation beyond reputetennisace21 has a reputation beyond reputetennisace21 has a reputation beyond reputetennisace21 has a reputation beyond reputetennisace21 has a reputation beyond reputetennisace21 has a reputation beyond reputetennisace21 has a reputation beyond reputetennisace21 has a reputation beyond reputetennisace21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kei's news thread

Nishikori's Noodle Pact By Tennis Week
Monday, September 29, 2008
Kei Nishikori is the youngest man in the top 100. © Getty Images
Kei Nishikori will complement his appetite for tennis by carrying a Cup of Noodles on court starting this week.

The 18-year-old Japanese has signed an endorsement and patch contract with Nissin Food Product Co. Nishikori will wear the "Cup Noodles" logo on his adidas shirt starting today at the AIG Open at the Ariake Coliseum in Tokyo, Japan. Nissin manufacturers the popular Ramen instant noodle mix.

Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

"I am glad to announce that I have signed a contract with Nissin Food Products Co., Ltd., Japans most famous food manufacturer," Nishikori said in a statement. "I have loved Ramen since I was a little boy. Even now that my life is based out of the United States I continue to spend a lot of time traveling around the world and often enjoy Nissin Noodles. Instant noodles is a food culture that Nissin Food Product Co., Ltd. has spread all over the world and always reminds me of Japan. Diet is a very important aspect of my life as a professional athlete and will be a key factor to my success as a tennis player. Through my relationship with Nissin Food Product Co., Ltd., I will be able to receive great nutritional advice and strong support regarding my diet."

The endorsement deal comes four months after Nishikori signed a three-year global sponsorship pact with Sony.

Nishikori, who celebrates his 19th birthday on December 29, was described as "a genius" by former Japanese pro Shuzo Matsuoka when he was still in elementary school and in the 8th grade he moved to the United States to join the Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy. Nishikori has been training at the IMG/Bollettieri Tennis Academy since then.

Currently ranked No. 84, Nishikori is the youngest player ranked inside the ATP's top 100. Nishikori beat 29th-seeded Juan Monaco before surprising World No. 4 David Ferrer at the US Open to reach the fourth round in his second Grand Slam event. This was the first time in 71 years that a Japanese male player reached the fourth round at the US Open. Nishikoris explosive style of tennis and jumping forehand resulted in the Japanese media calling Nishikori "Air-K."

Nishikori beat James Blake in the Delray Beach final earlier this year to become the youngest man in a decade to win an ATP title.

RafaRoddickNishikoriDjokovicFerrerBlakeVerdasco

Good job Rafa! take that, Fed.
tennisace21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2008, 11:53 PM   #17
country flag *esther*

*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute

Nishikori ousts Granollers in Stockholm

By STEPHAN NASSTROM, AP Sports Writer

STOCKHOLM, Sweden (AP)—Wild-card Kei Nishikori ousted Marcel Granollers in the first round of the Stockholm Open on Monday, overcoming a sore knee and a cold for a 2-6, 6-4, 6-2 victory over the eighth-seeded Spaniard.

The Japanese teen will next play Dominik Hrbaty of Slovakia, who beat Pablo Andujar of Spain 6-2, 6-1. In the other first-round match, Nicolas Lapentti of Ecuador outlasted Ivan Navarro of Spain 3-6, 7-6 (7), 7-5.

The 18-year-old Nishikori was bothered by his right knee in the first set and requested treatment from a trainer early in the second.

“I’ve felt the pain for two days, I took a painkiller today but it didn’t help,” he said. “I was thinking about retiring more than 10 times I guess. … I also have a cold. I’m not in my best condition.”

In the second set, Nishikori broke the Spaniard on his second break point to lead 5-4 and then held on to even the match. Nishikori twice broke for a 3-0 lead in the third set and clinched the match when Granollers hit two consecutive forehands long.

Nishikori is playing the indoor tournament at the Royal Tennis Hall for the first time. He reached the third round at Tokyo last week to boost his ranking to a career-high 77. Hrbaty, who reached a career-high 12th in 2004, is currently 396th.

“I used to see him when I was little,” Nishikori said. “I think I was 12 when he played in Japan. I think he’s good on this (hard) court. I have to stay focused but I have to fix my knee first. I’m going to try to hit a little bit tomorrow.”

Swiss star Roger Federer withdrew from the tournament last week citing fatigue, leaving seventh-ranked David Nalbandian of Argentina as the top-seeded player.

================================================== ========
Take good care Kei

newly recruited : StanislasWAWRINKA*GillesSIMON*Tsung-huaYANG

Please vote for Rendy's NEW FORUM
*esther* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:32 AM   #18
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute

decent article about the media hype in Japan:

Quote:
Big in Japan: Kei Nishikori is a teenager who is very much in demand
(AFP/Toru Yamanaka)
Neil Harman, Tennis Correspondent

There were 24 requests for one-on-one interviews, he was trailed by half a dozen camera crews from hotel lift and back again, each of his press conferences was standing room only and he carried off all that he was asked to do with a smile, good humour and oceans of patience. It looks as if any 18-year-old can handle the demands placed on a teenager who becomes Japan's No 1 male tennis player, that young man is Kei Nishikori.

There are exceptional burdens on Roger Federer in Switzerland, Rafael Nadal in Spain, Richard Gasquet in France, Andy Roddick in the United States and, for certain, Andy Murray in Britain but they pale when placed alongside the ferment generated by Nishikori's rise to prominence. He agreed to speak to Yomiuri Shimbun (the newspaper with the world's biggest circulation at 14 million), NHK (Japan's national television station) and Nikkei (the Japanese equivalent of the Financial Times), attended the draw ceremony, the tournament's welcome party, functions for his sponsors Sony, adidas and Wilson and played in AIG Sunday, a series of exhibition matches named for the tournament sponsor, on the day before the event before in front of 9,455 paying spectators. And that is before he struck a ball in earnest.

The Net Post was much in demand at the US Open last month to debate Murray's run to the men's singles final and second to those requests were ones friom Japanese TV asking for a foreign writer's insight into young Mr Nishikori. 'Polite' was the first word that sprang to mind, 'personable' a close second and 'quiet' the third. One was reminded of some time spent chatting to him in the lounge at the Queen's Club during the Artois championships in the summer (actually, it was a bit of a monologue because the lad doesn't say a great deal) and when next spotted, he had his head in a book, keeping up with his studies. It was not something you had often witnessed in the hustle and bustle of such places at a men's professional tournament.

Nishikori who lives and trains at the Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy in Bradenton, Florida, has a heaven sent talent for the game, a wonderful ability to play it as if he really enjoys every minute and if Murray's match against Rafael Nadal in the semi finals was the match most remembered for its significance from a parochial standpoint, the next best was Nishikori's five set victory over David Ferrer, the No.4 seed from Spain, which secured for him the distinction of being the first Japanese male in 71 years to reach the fourth round of the championship. It was full of flashing, uninhibited stroke play, the nub of it being Nishikori's flamethrower of a forehand, for he likes nothing more than to step around his backhand and flick his forehand into his opponent's backhand corner.

Ferrer remarked: "He's a very good player, no? I know that. I saw him last year in Tokyo and I like the way he played very much, so today, it's not a surprise. For sure, he will be a very good player." But playing abroad is one thing, playing at home, is something quite different. Last week, Nishikori was the star of the AIG Open in the Japanese capital, Toyko where he lost in the third round to Gasquet, nothing to be ashamed of.

Sponsors - especially those based in his home land- are clamouring for him. He has a mega-three year deal with the Sony Corporation, the electronics giant founded in Japan but there are more homely elements to the portfolio being gathered on his behalf. Special Kei (Geddit!) has signed an endorsement and patch deal with Nissin Food Products, the maker of Cup o' Noodles - "The sustenance of choice for college kids around the world." Nissin, so the Net Post has learnt, also manufacturers the popular Ramen instant noodle mix.

"I have loved Ramen since I was a little boy," Nishikori said. "Instant noodles is a food culture that Nissin has spread all over the world and it always reminds me of Japan. Diet is a very important aspect of my life as a professional athlete and will be a key factor to my success as a tennis player." How could it have been better put?

Nishikori is the centre-point of a little whizz called Project 45 which refers to the last major Japanese success on the ATP Tour. During his 13-year career, Shuzo Matsuoka became a cult hero in Japan and reached a career-high ranking of No.46 in 1992. The logic is that Nishikori's target should be to surpass that ranking, after which the marketing opportunities would be even more substantial. Olivier van Lindonk, his manager at IMG says: "The objective is to build a platform to lift the entire game of tennis in Japan." To which Nishikori replies: "Matsuoka has been the only top-50 player from Japan and I really respect him so much, what he did was truly amazing."

Nishikori, who won his first tournament this year in Delray Beach (when he beat James Blake, a top ten player from a set down in the final) began last week at No.84 on the ATP rankings and plays in the IF Stockholm Open this week, where the attention may not be so constant. Nicola Arzani, the vice president of media and marketing for the ATP, had not seen anything to match the Nishikori buzz since the days when Boris Becker lauded it over Germany. "I didn't understand a word of what he was saying in Japanese to the media but you could sense by his body language that he had everything under control, he was cool and very mature," Arzani said. "It couldn't have been easy for him but he doesn't seem over-burdened by the attention at all, He's not adventurous with the English language as Rafa (Nadal) is, he's a little limited but that will improve as he grows more comfortable with his situation."

Watch out for this young Japanese. He's going to be a real star.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:31 AM   #19
country flag *bunny*

*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx for posting the article, Henry!
Shuzo didn't quite achieve a cult status though...

Also supporting Rafael Nadal, Kei Nishikori, Lleyton Hewitt
David Ferrer, Andy Murray, Juan Martin Del Potro, Nikolay Davydenko, David Nalbandian
Goran Ivanisevic and Marat Safin
#3 Ferrero Tard
*bunny* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:33 AM   #20
country flag *bunny*

*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by *bunny* View Post
After Sony, Kei won another big contratct, rumoured to be with Toyota.
He will wear the logo of the company from Sunday when he participates in an open practice session with Go Soeda at the Ariake Colosseum, as part of the opening day events of Japan Open.
I stand corrected. It was Nissin Food Products, not Toyota.

David Ferrer, Andy Murray, Juan Martin Del Potro, Nikolay Davydenko, David Nalbandian
#3 Ferrero Tard
Old 10-09-2008, 03:30 PM   #21
country flag *esther*

*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Watch out for this young Japanese. He's going to be a real star.

Thanks Henry.

newly recruited : StanislasWAWRINKA*GillesSIMON*Tsung-huaYANG

Please vote for Rendy's NEW FORUM
*esther* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:03 AM   #22
country flag *bunny*

From ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/ten...avi&id=3633730

Kei mania
IMG agent Olivier van Lindonk knew one of his clients, Kei Nishikori, was in for a rousing reception when he returned to his native Japan to compete at last week's Japan Open. But even van Lindonk was shocked at what he saw.

Nishikori, the low-key, book-reading teen who earlier this year became the first Japanese male since 1992 to win a top-tier title, was greeted by more than 60 journalists as he stepped off the plane in Tokyo.

During the tournament itself, as pointed out by colleague Neil Harman of the Times, Nishikori's every movement, from his hotel to the site, was captured by a half-dozen camera crews. Plus, there were 24 requests for one-on-one interviews -- an unfathomable scenario, even for Andy Murray and the hoards of British journalists.

"I've never seen it to that extent," van Lindonk said from his office near Nick Bollettieri's tennis academy in Florida, where the 18-year-old has long been based. "Coming back to your home country and getting absolutely attacked from a publicity point of view is something that doesn't happen often, at this level."

Coinciding with his arrival, Nishikori signed a pact with Nissin Food Products Co. to endorse the company's instant noodles on a patch on his adidas-sponsored shirt. He was already one of three global ambassadors for Sony Corporation.

A person familiar with the Nissin and Sony deals, who didn't want to be identified, said both are worth seven figures annually. While not commenting on the numbers, van Lindonk added that one or two more deals are in the works.

New attendance records were set while Nishikori, a speedy baseliner, was still alive in the tournament, surpassing figures of two years ago, when Federer claimed the title.

"I think it was like a bomb," said Tadahiro Yoshimatsu, a tennis writer with Japanese sports daily Nikkan. "He is a new hero in Japan, young and has a nice smile."

Dubbed 'Air Kei' due to his penchant for leaping at times as he strikes his forehand, Nishikori exited earlier than most hoped, losing in the third round to Richard Gasquet, who was once acclaimed as a teen sensation himself but is struggling to live up to the hype at 22.

Still, apart from his title in Delray Beach, Fla. in February, the diminutive Nishikori, ranked 77th, reached the fourth round at the U.S. Open and played Rafael Nadal tough on grass at the Artois Championships in June.

For many in Japan, it's all about Nishikori getting to 45th in the world, which would make him the highest ranking Japanese male in history, one place ahead of big-serving Shuzo Matsuoka in 1992. But van Lindonk said Nishikori has loftier goals.

"The thing I'm happy to see is how hungry he still is, because it's obviously very easy to come home to this kind of attention and say, 'I'm there already,'" he said. "I think what helps is that he's being pushed everyday at the academy. They've always said in the beginning, 'I know in Japan it's about being 45th in the world, but our goal is to get into the top 5 or 10."'

#3 Ferrero Tard
Old 10-13-2008, 08:10 AM   #23
country flag *bunny*

Kei is ranked #66 this week!

#3 Ferrero Tard
Old 10-13-2008, 08:59 AM   #24
country flag Reaz

Reaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by *bunny* View Post
Kei is ranked #66 this week!
wow he is really shooting up the rankings-if it were not for his knee may be he could have gone higher!!

if you remember my posts i mentioned that Kei should aim for a top 50 or just ouside top 50 finish.

Hope he does that or even better
Reaz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:50 AM   #25
country flag *bunny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaz View Post
wow he is really shooting up the rankings-if it were not for his knee may be he could have gone higher!!

if you remember my posts i mentioned that Kei should aim for a top 50 or just ouside top 50 finish.

Hope he does that or even better
I think you were spot on.
Kei will have to qualify at Basel, unless four players in the main draw withdraw before the draw comes out, but if he does qualify, he can get some more points and finish the season at around #60. (I doubt if he can play in Paris. As of now he's #5 on the alernate list for the qualifying.)
Of course, he can play a few challengers in November, but I think it would be better for him to use the off-season to have a good rest and work on his fitness, and return strong in January.

#3 Ferrero Tard
Old 10-13-2008, 10:39 PM   #26
country flag DhammaTiger
May All Beings Be Happy!!

Location: So happy to be back to the City of Angels (Krung Thep)
DhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Kei
Old 10-15-2008, 03:59 PM   #27
country flag *bunny*

According to a Web site of a Japanese sports paper, Kei received treatment on his knee in Florida, and he was told that it's due to fatigue and won't get any worse.
So he will return to tour next week in Basel!
http://www.daily.co.jp/general/2008/...01518490.shtml

#3 Ferrero Tard

Last edited by *bunny* : 10-15-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:44 AM   #28
country flag hcfoo

hcfoo has a reputation beyond reputehcfoo has a reputation beyond reputehcfoo has a reputation beyond reputehcfoo has a reputation beyond reputehcfoo has a reputation beyond reputehcfoo has a reputation beyond reputehcfoo has a reputation beyond reputehcfoo has a reputation beyond reputehcfoo has a reputation beyond reputehcfoo has a reputation beyond reputehcfoo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the updates Bunny! Hope Kei will get well soon!
hcfoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:51 PM   #29
country flag Reaz

Reaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond reputeReaz has a reputation beyond repute

YAY!
Reaz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:37 AM   #30
country flag Rafkei

Rafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond repute

That is good news Bunny!

Hope Kei can rest well and his knee will be 100% come Basel time.

Im excited to see the draw.

Maybe he'll play Roger 1st round!

Like to say hi to Reaz!
Rafkei is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote