Mens Tennis Forums banner

Thread in GM says Tommy is considering Retirement!

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Jogy 
#1 ·
I didn't go in and read the thread, but the title caught my eye. Has anyone heard anything about it in here? I was afraid this was coming, but I didn't want to think about it :sad:

#2 ·
I went back and read the start of the thread. It was a poll in GM, but it was based on an article. It said Tommy was having trouble with his wrist :confused: I thought it would be the shoulder that ended his career. But just as I thought he doesn't like to lose like he did in the 2nd Match of the U.S. Open. The article said he was going to take 6 weeks off from tennis.
The article was posted in German and then the poster translated what they considered the most important parts. I wish I could read German. I don't like translations especially when I don't know the poster that is doing the translation.

#3 ·
This article is not really saying sth about Tommy's future, I think.
He's saying how bad and frustrated he's feeling after that lost, it's said that he had problems and pain in his right arm and that he's deciding how to go on within the next 2 weeks.
But he says that he has 2 possibilities - either motivate himself once more again or questioning himself how long he wants to continue.
He's also feeling pain in his elbow going down to the wrist. He doesn't know if he'll play tournaments this fall, he'll take 6 weeks off first.
But he also says that he still loves the sport.

So I just thing that we have to wait and see what he'll do. I am sure that he's frustrated now so it's better to take some time to think about tthe future and not rush into some decisions which he's probably going to regret later on.
But I just hope that he continues playing for at least another year - it would just not be the same without him...

#4 ·
Wow.
I hope it's not true :sad: :sad:
The thing is, that after he was finally heathy to the USO, he lost in a heartbreaking match to Muller after a great win a an open draw, and I'm sure it hurt his motivation..
I hope he'll get over it soon, and we'll have few more years with Tommy.

#5 ·
Great that we have German posters here,that can explain that article,so I am sure that Tommy will play tennis as long as he can..I really don't think that this bad loss to Muller would affect his decision to retire.
If body lets him,he will play for sure another year or more..So I hope that Tommy will now focus on future and looking forward to great start of the next season..

#6 ·
I refered to the exact same articles in my posts in the USO thread. There's nothing specific in them. And the vast contrast between his statements before and after the match tell me that bitter frustration plays an important part here. So let's just wait ...

#7 ·
Thanks, everyone, for the info.

It sounds as if Tommy's just trying to be realistic. He'd like to continue but it depends on his arm.

Even if it turns out to be the worst for him, another possibility is that he could consider playing on one of the seniors' tours, or world team tennis, which is not as grueling. As a popular player, he would be welcomed by any of them.

#8 ·
I hope he will play some more time and that he sees it is too early to retire now.

If body is not good enough, you also have tournaments where you only need to win two sets and where things like against Muller do not happen.

#9 ·
Muller is having himself one great Tournament. So I hope Tommy forgets about that defeat as quickly as possible. And I also am glad we have German posters in here that we can count on to give us the TRUE story :worship: Tommy for some reason is not liked in the GM section of this Forum. I have no idea why they dislike him so much there :shrug: Normally I wouldn't have taken something from GM and put it in here. But I wanted a translation that could be trusted and I knew I could get that here ;)

#10 ·
Well, the article says basically that Tommy will take a break of 6 weeks and think about what to do in the next two weeks. "I love this sport, but there are still other things I want to do. [...] After such a loss there are two possibilities: Either it pushes me or I think about how long I will do that stuff." The pain starts in the shoulder and goes via elbow down into the wrist. Tommy let Klaus Eder come to NY, who is considered one of the best German physios. During the Muller-match the pain returned, the medical and some pills made the pain a bit weaker. The thought of retirement "is a strange feeling, but you have to face the reality."

THat is a short translation of the bolded parts of the article Rrainer posted.

#12 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.