aiming for body is not fair play? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-28-2008, 10:16 AM   #1
country flag Bazooka

Bazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond repute
Default aiming for body is not fair play?

This thread comes from the Roddick vs Santoro match, when Fabrice got pissed about a serve to body.

żIs it really considered not fair play in any way? I had really never thought about it that way, nor commentators on TV (I usually listen to Corretja) mention it's a dirty tactic; example, the Gulbis-Nadal match, Alex just said Ernests was being smart with his serve to the body. It's just one option out of three you have, serve to backhand, to forehand, or to body.

Even as player myself, sometimes aim (and get also my share of) some balls to the body, or to the feet, and never have hit anyone or been hit, there's time enough to get away. The difficult thing is, get away and still make a decent shot.

What do you think? What do commentators say in your country?
Quote:
The inhabitants of the Balearic Islands are said to have been the inventors of slings, and to have managed them with surprising dexterity, owing to the manner of bringing up their children. The children were not allowed to have their food by their mothers till they had first struck it with their sling.
~Vegetius, De Re Militari, late 4th century
Nadal: the last Balearic Slinger, the ultimate product of natural selection. Feel the weight of the centuries in the Topspin from Hell!
Bazooka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2008, 10:37 AM   #2
country flag JolánGagó

JolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: aiming for body is not fair play?

Santoro must be joking or just whinning out of frustration.
JolánGagó is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
country flag gjr

gjr has a reputation beyond reputegjr has a reputation beyond reputegjr has a reputation beyond reputegjr has a reputation beyond reputegjr has a reputation beyond reputegjr has a reputation beyond reputegjr has a reputation beyond reputegjr has a reputation beyond reputegjr has a reputation beyond reputegjr has a reputation beyond reputegjr has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't see what happened but Roddick said in his press conference he didn't intend to do what he did.

As for serving legally to the body I don't see an issue myself. It's just like targeting someones backhand/forehand all the time if they are weak on that side. If people don't like it at the body then tough. If it's a legal serve I don't see a problem.
gjr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:46 AM   #4
country flag Black Adam

Black Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond repute

Back in the days of serve and volley, a body serve was a very effective second serve because most of the time it would be unreturned or it would result in a weak return that's easy to put away. Nothing wrong in mixing it up. Nobody even complains unless they are being grumpy which hypocritically Santoro was being. He is a great doubles player and i am sure he has made his own share of body serves over the years.

Quote:
Liverpool FC need to return to the good old days when the players were born and bred locally. Dalglish, Keegan, McDermott, Kennedy, Lawrenson, Hansen, Grobelaar, Toshack, Molby ........ or were they just the Chelsea of the 70's buying the best talent available in the market?
Black Adam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:58 AM   #5
country flag bjurra

bjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond repute

I think Fabrice was just generally tired of getting trashed. Ask him today and he'd probably say body serves are ok.
bjurra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:03 AM   #6
country flag Naranoc

Naranoc has a reputation beyond reputeNaranoc has a reputation beyond reputeNaranoc has a reputation beyond reputeNaranoc has a reputation beyond reputeNaranoc has a reputation beyond reputeNaranoc has a reputation beyond reputeNaranoc has a reputation beyond reputeNaranoc has a reputation beyond reputeNaranoc has a reputation beyond reputeNaranoc has a reputation beyond reputeNaranoc has a reputation beyond repute

It surely wouldn't make sense if you had to serve to where the receiver found it most convenient to return. The whole point is to make the ball unreachable/difficult for them to play back.
Naranoc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:15 AM   #7
country flag guille&tati4life

guille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond repute

Typical whiny Santoro
Old 08-28-2008, 11:28 AM   #8
country flag Chileno

Chileno has a reputation beyond reputeChileno has a reputation beyond reputeChileno has a reputation beyond reputeChileno has a reputation beyond reputeChileno has a reputation beyond reputeChileno has a reputation beyond reputeChileno has a reputation beyond reputeChileno has a reputation beyond reputeChileno has a reputation beyond reputeChileno has a reputation beyond reputeChileno has a reputation beyond repute

It is fair play...just try and be nice and not aim for the head.
Chileno is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:32 AM   #9
country flag Bilbo

Bilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond repute

one day santoro is the hero and the next day he gets criticized

weird
Bilbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #10
country flag MacTheKnife
10S NE1

MacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond repute

Of course it's fair play. Roddick said he wasn't going for him, but even if he was, that's part of the game. Santoro was just getting his a$$ handed to him and was frustrated as he11.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:40 AM   #11
country flag Or Levy

Or Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose Santoro didn't expect a body serve, the scoreline being what it is. He wasn't fighting very hard at this point. That's what Andy said - he wouldn't have gone for him, two sets and a break up. The ball got away from him.

Andy's expression when he realized Santoro was just going to stand there, hands on hips, while he served his last serve, was hysterical.
Or Levy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:42 AM   #12
country flag cardio

cardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond repute

It is perfectly legal, but I had an impression that Santoro thought that Roddick wanted to humiliate him. Santoro`s body language was like :" OK, I played bad match,shit happens, you won already , there is no need to hit me with ball!" That said, I think Andy`s intention was not to humiliate Fabrice.
video, last game
http://www.sharebig.com/share.php?id=s11boooliqdSUAxFA
cardio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:46 AM   #13
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naranoc View Post
It surely wouldn't make sense if you had to serve to where the receiver found it most convenient to return.
Player X: "Damn, an Ace! Impossible to return! Unfair!"

Quote:
The whole point is to make the ball unreachable/difficult for them to play back.
Heee. Yes, the goal of the sport of tennis is... to score points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
one day santoro is the hero and the next day he gets criticized

weird
Santoro is in general a very nice guy, and I like him a lot, but if he complains about a bodyserve, he's just being out-of-line. No problem, all these guys are human and all of them make whiney statements once in a while. I'm sure he only did so because of disappointment - but it is indeed being whiney.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:57 AM   #14
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

In this case the onus is on Santoro to do something about the body serve not for Roddick to stop doing it. If his positioning and movement were better he could have dealt with the serves. He was just frustrated as people have said and shouldn't be taken seriously.
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:04 PM   #15
country flag SheepleBuster

SheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond repute

I think if you aim for the body, you should go for the KO man. This is no kiddie sport. Hit it where it hurts the most.

Suarez & Nadal : True Trailblazers in Sports

Arjen Robben ... Soccer's version of ATP's biggest faker!
SheepleBuster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote