Bonnie the Cat's, formerly know as Stupid Dream - PROG ROCK thread! - Page 92 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-30-2009, 02:36 AM   #1366
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stupid Dream's PROG ROCK thread!

And just to finish off, trying to draw some attention to perhaps the most underrated English band nowadays (aside from Anathema, of course) - AMPLIFIER!

I haven't heard from them for quite a while now...
Gorgeous band!

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2009, 02:39 AM   #1367
country flag Black Dog

Black Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Dream View Post
- I just thought, let the fellows have their fun in Portugese!

No prob, dears. That means you, too, Gustavo.

Well I've visited the Symforce III-festival past Sunday, at Tilburg, The Netherlands' 013-venue, and I have kinda 'mixed feelings' about it. Still have to make up my mind on writing an 'ultimate' review on it.

Lots of lovely music/bands, especially the Swedish outfit Karmakanic - band by ex-Flower King Jonas Reingold did an awesome job. Still... overall... I don't think this edition could actually match the previous versions of this festival. I'll elaborate on that further in my 'official' review.

A very special mentioning should go to the very sweet (might well be a mite TOO sweet ) laddies of Moon Safari!
Fantastic, Beach Boys-like vocals - but the best moment (music-wise) of the festival was when the guys actually gave an impromptu, barbershop-like performance OUT THERE ON THE STREETS, in front of the venue! Now that was absolutely gorgeous.
I know there was a guy there who actually recorded it, but I haven't found it yet on YouTube. well... awaiting....

And it might just be me, but the band I enjoyed the most of all was the German space/post-rock outfit Long Distance Calling, who played in the 'Batcave', 013's little stage for the 'Great Unknown'.

Finally, some HEAVY GUITARS!!! Folks compared the band to a heavier Mogwai and the very underrated English outfit Amplifier
Taped this over there. Not bad, eh? Me likes. Me likes VERY MUCH INDEED.

STONER-PROG. NOT for the faint-hearted.

Oh, and before I forget to mention it - Rush' Natural Science is just f**king AWESOME!!!
Cool stuff, these Long Distance Calling! Since I'm a bit into post-rock/metal, I'll check them out. And it's funny that you refer Amplifier, because when I saw Opeth three years ago they were the opening act... Too bad that me and my friends, as good portuguese guys that we are, arrived late to the venue and Amplifier were almost finishing their performance by then...
"There is no such thing as a natural death: nothing that happens to a man is ever natural, since his presence calls the world into question. All men must die: but for every man his death is an accident and, even if he knows it and consents to it, an unjustifiable violation."
Black Dog is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:45 AM   #1368
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Cool stuff, these Long Distance Calling! Since I'm a bit into post-rock/metal, I'll check them out. And it's funny that you refer Amplifier, because when I saw Opeth three years ago they were the opening act... Too bad that me and my friends, as good portuguese guys that we are, arrived late to the venue and Amplifier were almost finishing their performance by then...
- well I noticed Amplifier when their AWESOME debut album came out - some three, four years ago - and went to check them out. GREAT band, and guess what?
One Mr. S.W. (note the Opeth-PT connection once again ) chose them as their opening act, once again. Just like he did with Anathema, Paatos, Oceansize, and the like. The guy only wants to have bands he truly LIKES as opening acts for him,

Amplifier is a marvelous band, but are enduring nasty times right now, as their follow-ups to their magnificent debut album didn't get the attention they deserved. Shit Happens, once again.

Do check out both Long Distance Calling AND Amplifier.
They're fantastic Guitar-Stoner-Prog bands, and I love them.

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 09-30-2009 at 02:55 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:54 AM   #1369
Anathemaniac

for now, bedtime!

Hope to get the FULL review up tomorrow.

Anathema

Old 09-30-2009, 03:04 AM   #1370
country flag Black Dog

Black Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond repute

"There is no such thing as a natural death: nothing that happens to a man is ever natural, since his presence calls the world into question. All men must die: but for every man his death is an accident and, even if he knows it and consents to it, an unjustifiable violation."
Old 10-01-2009, 01:13 AM   #1371
Anathemaniac

Managed to write up my review on the Symforce III-festival, over here: http://solarfallsrealm.livejournal.com/300420.html

It's just my personal opinion, remember.

Anathema

Old 10-01-2009, 01:36 AM   #1372
Anathemaniac

A bit of Goth Prog, here:

Tristania's Deadlocked.

Vibeke Stene.

Anathema

Old 10-01-2009, 03:57 PM   #1373
country flag Black Dog

One of my faves from these guys:

Old 10-02-2009, 09:36 PM   #1374
Anathemaniac

Quote:
One of my faves from these guys:
Great stuff indeed. I'm not a fan of all of their work - their 'hits' (Turn of A Friendly Card and the like) are just a bit too 'easy-'n'-cheesy' for me, but this song certainly is one of their best.

I was delighted to see yet another 5/5-star review coming in on ProgArchives today on 5bridgeS's debut CD.
Nice timing, too, as the band will be hitting the road next week.

Anathema

Old 10-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #1375
country flag Black Dog

Yes, I actually dig their first two or three albums much more than their following works... And by the way, I really have to check those 5bridgeS guys! I'm in Lisbon during this weekend, so I won't post that much here!
Old 10-02-2009, 11:48 PM   #1376
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Yes, I actually dig their first two or three albums much more than their following works... And by the way, I really have to check those 5bridgeS guys! I'm in Lisbon during this weekend, so I won't post that much here!
- enjoy your weekend in Lisbon. It's a great city!
Yeah I think you'd like 5BridgeS. Classical symphonic prog, as if it were made in the 1970's. It's great to see them get quite some attention in the underground press/websites, but then, it's deserved.

Anathema

Old 10-03-2009, 12:01 AM   #1377
Anathemaniac

Now here's something that really made me smile today: It's back... Prog rock assaults album charts

Anathema

Old 10-03-2009, 12:02 AM   #1378
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

I recommend King Crimson's USA live album.

I've been listening to it for 2 weeks and it's awesome.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:10 AM   #1379
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
I recommend King Crimson's USA live album.

I've been listening to it for 2 weeks and it's awesome.
You mean this one: USA? Yeah, that's indeed .
Perhaps the ultimate live collection of their best songs.

Funny to know I'll be seeing Fripp play live in only ten days time.

Anathema

Old 10-03-2009, 02:11 PM   #1380
country flag opeth84

opeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Dream View Post
Now here's something that really made me smile today: It's back... Prog rock assaults album charts

Thats really great to see.

S.W and co deserve all the success they get.

Btw ive really been hammering there latest the past week or so and i know it's a big call but i think this album may be the best effort they have put out yet. A friend of mine who i work with who has also known of the band for awhile is loving the album too and thinks it's the best he's heard so im not the only one. Of course it's gotta stand the test of time but i would say for sure it's the best thing since Stupid Dream/Signify (there 2 best works imo)
opeth84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote