Bonnie the Cat's, formerly know as Stupid Dream - PROG ROCK thread! - Page 89 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-26-2009, 02:29 PM   #1321
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stupid Dream's PROG ROCK thread!

The Doors are fantastic.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2009, 06:52 PM   #1322
country flag Black Dog

Black Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond repute

You're asking for it...

I was listening to this awesome Opeth's song and I realized that it is worth of being here:

I also wanted to post Atonement, but the only clip I found on Youtube was one of the song played backwards... I really don't understand the fixation that some people appear to have with songs played backwards, it's like they think that every single song has some kind of an apocalyptical-revealing subliminal message...
"There is no such thing as a natural death: nothing that happens to a man is ever natural, since his presence calls the world into question. All men must die: but for every man his death is an accident and, even if he knows it and consents to it, an unjustifiable violation."
Black Dog is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:10 PM   #1323
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
I was listening to this awesome Opeth's song and I realized that it is worth of being here:

Aye, yeah, this one should easily have come from "Damnation", my fav Opeth album. The addition of Per Wiberg on his battery of hammonds and even a mellotron (I guess they didn't have to borrow Steven's anymore) just worked out perfectly.

Quote:
I also wanted to post Atonement, but the only clip I found on Youtube was one of the song played backwards... I really don't understand the fixation that some people appear to have with songs played backwards, it's like they think that every single song has some kind of an apocalyptical-revealing subliminal message...
- I always wonder how they even manage to get that done.

Unbelievable, no? Well apparently some folks take Mikael's acknowledged interests in occult matters a bit too seriously...

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:17 PM   #1324
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Just uploaded my review of last Friday's acoustic gig by Anathema's Danny Cavanagh together with Anneke van Giersbergen, over here: http://solarfallsrealm.livejournal.com/300251.html

Oh and something really lovely happened, Danny asked Michiel, the venue's organizer, to join in with him on stage to perform Pink Floyd's High Hopes together, with Michiel on the acoustic bass:

I took out my camera immediately to have it recorded, as I realized this was some 'once-in-a-lifetime'-experience for Michiel!

Gestures like THAT make me realize that I love my fav musicians for a very good reason indeed!

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 09-26-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:43 PM   #1325
country flag Black Dog

Black Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Dream View Post
Just uploaded my review of last Friday's acoustic gig by Anathema's Danny Cavanagh together with Anneke van Giersbergen, over here: http://solarfallsrealm.livejournal.com/300251.html

Oh and something really lovely happened, Danny asked Michiel, the venue's organizer, to join in with him on stage to perform Pink Floyd's High Hopes together, with Michiel on the acoustic bass:

I took out my camera immediately to have it recorded, as I realized this was some 'once-in-a-lifetime'-experience for Michiel!

Gestures like THAT make me realize that I love my fav musicians for a very good reason indeed!
Great vid!

You were really in the front row, weren't you?
"There is no such thing as a natural death: nothing that happens to a man is ever natural, since his presence calls the world into question. All men must die: but for every man his death is an accident and, even if he knows it and consents to it, an unjustifiable violation."
Old 09-26-2009, 09:48 PM   #1326
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Great vid!

You were really in the front row, weren't you?
- yeah I was, just as in most of the cases before.
I always try to be there, appearing at the venues some three hours before the gig actually starts off, and usually it PAYS OFF.

Have to say that I have little chance of being able to see ANYTHING otherwise, being 1:58 meters in height and always getting some member of the Dutch Basketball- National Team standing in front of me. (average height of those guys, 2:15 meters ).
Quite a few of my Prog Rock-friends are 'hobbits' as well, so they fully agree with me and usually show up very early just the same.

I take a different course of action when I know a truly BIG venue will be sold-out though - usually in such a case me and my friends head for the first row of the balcony in such cases, as I will do at the upcoming shows of Riverside and Porcupine Tree. *No Chance* of staying in the front row for over five hours at their concerts and being able to feel comfortable all along that period - especially not if you're getting robbed of the drinks you took along beforehand just trying to enable you to survive all that time, as it's impossible to head for the bar during the concert in those cases.

- I have some experience by now.

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 09-26-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:38 PM   #1327
country flag Black Dog

Quote:
- yeah I was, just as in most of the cases before.
I always try to be there, appearing at the venues some three hours before the gig actually starts off, and usually it PAYS OFF.

Have to say that I have little chance of being able to see ANYTHING otherwise, being 1:58 meters in height and always getting some member of the Dutch Basketball- National Team standing in front of me. (average height of those guys, 2:15 meters ).
Quite a few of my Prog Rock-friends are 'hobbits' as well, so they fully agree with me and usually show up very early just the same.

I take a different course of action when I know a truly BIG venue will be sold-out though - usually in such a case me and my friends head for the first row of the balcony in such cases, as I will do at the upcoming shows of Riverside and Porcupine Tree. *No Chance* of staying in the front row for over five hours at their concerts and being able to feel comfortable all along that period - especially not if you're getting robbed of the drinks you took along beforehand just trying to enable you to survive all that time, as it's impossible to head for the bar during the concert in those cases.

- I have some experience by now.
Hey, your basketball players like prog-rock?

Well, I'm relatively short either (1,75m), but here in Portugal the average height for males is certainly not much higher than that, so there's no problem in watching a concert in the middle of the crowd, I guess. But if I have the opportunity to buy a ticket for any place besides the middle of the crowd, I won't think twice, that's for sure...
Old 09-26-2009, 10:38 PM   #1328
Anathemaniac

Mr. S.W.'s official vid to Time Flies:

Dunno if I really like it, to be honest. Too much of a 'flashy-lets-skip-the-view-every-0.000001-second'-kind of vid imho. I would have expected something more 'introspective' from Lasse Hoile on this one... like...

Now THAT's a gorgeous vid!
It truly conveys the sad feelings of disillusion and general disappointment in life from young folks, according to the song's lyrics. [EDIT]: too bad the vid I posted is the 'edited' one as it seemed to be a mite too confrontational for certain folks Americans? who rather not see reality as it is.

Anathema

Old 09-26-2009, 10:48 PM   #1329
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Hey, your basketball players like prog-rock?
I hope they do...
Nah, the problem is that the average height of young males in my country right now is some 1:89 meters.
So whether they play Basketball or not...

Quote:
Well, I'm relatively short either (1,75m), but here in Portugal the average height for males is certainly not much higher than that, so there's no problem in watching a concert in the middle of the crowd, I guess. But if I have the opportunity to buy a ticket for any place besides the middle of the crowd, I won't think twice, that's for sure...
Yeah I know. I was happy to be caught in the middle of the crowd with a bunch of Portugese and Spanish folks last time I visited HellFest Open Air (France, close to Nantes) in 2008. What a relief compared to being at that same spot some distance from the stage at Wacken Open Air that same year, where all the Scandinavians, Dutchies and Germans were blocking my view.

At least at the smaller club concerts, it's still a matter of whoever appears FIRST gets the best spot. And as such I always make sure I'll be arriving in time.

Anathema

Old 09-26-2009, 10:59 PM   #1330
country flag Echoes

Echoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond repute

It's a great effort they made on High Hopes on acoustic bass & guitars. I generally don't like covers of that song.

Actually I often miss Gilmour's solo on the pedal steel guitar, my favourite instrument.

But I really believe they made a great effort and I hope you've enjoyed it.
Echoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:05 PM   #1331
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
It's a great effort they made on High Hopes on acoustic bass & guitars. I generally don't like covers of that song.

Actually I often miss Gilmour's solo on the pedal steel guitar, my favourite instrument.

But I really believe they made a great effort and I hope you've enjoyed it.
Nice to see you around!

Well thank you!
In fact, Danny C. has done much better covers of many PF songs in the past, but this was in fact a lovely gesture of friendliness to a guy that did a lot for him at that venue during the past. So whether the two of them pulled it off well or not, I couldn't help but just record it, for Michiel most of all.
Danny had serious trouble with his voice that evening as some IDIOT entered the backstage-zone two nights before, 'armed' with a can of pepperspray .

Anathema

Old 09-26-2009, 11:35 PM   #1332
country flag Black Dog

Quote:
Mr. S.W.'s official vid to Time Flies:

Dunno if I really like it, to be honest. Too much of a 'flashy-lets-skip-the-view-every-0.000001-second'-kind of vid imho. I would have expected something more 'introspective' from Lasse Hoile on this one... like...
It's flashy, indeed, but anyway I feel it goes along well with the "time flies" theme... Of course making a video with rapid transitions of images is probably the first thing that comes to anyone's mind along with the subject "time flies", but I don't think the video is that bad...

By the way, have you read the "controversy" about the similarities between this song and Pink Floyd's "Dogs"? I heard the two songs and, ok, I understand where they see the similarities, but the songs end up being quite different...
Old 09-26-2009, 11:56 PM   #1333
Anathemaniac

Quote:
It's flashy, indeed, but anyway I feel it goes along well with the "time flies" theme... Of course making a video with rapid transitions of images is probably the first thing that comes to anyone's mind along with the subject "time flies", but I don't think the video is that bad...
Well I hoped Lasse would have not succumbed to the 'obvious' thing to do on this vid, and sadly enough, I think he did. It's just the cheap, MTV-like thing to do. I don't like it, I think some introspective, moody vid would have suited the true meaning of the song a lot better.
I know... tastes vary.

Quote:
By the way, have you read the "controversy" about the similarities between this song and Pink Floyd's "Dogs"? I heard the two songs and, ok, I understand where they see the similarities, but the songs end up being quite different...
Yes, of course!
It's rather funny to be honest. Mr. S.W. himself has acclaimed that the song is a hommage to Pink Floyd, as the guy said in this fantastic interview! :

"The reason Time Flies is different is because it's supposed to be about me, my childhood, what formed me and also what formed me as a musician. The musical reference in it relate more to the music I grew up with. So you hear a very deliberate reference to Pink Floyd for example. The first album I ever bought was Animals. There's a riff in there that's very similar, just different enough to not get sued. There are also musical clues as well as lyrical clues to me growing up and to what created me as a musician, what created me as a person. That's one of the reasons why musically it does take you into a different area perhaps to some of the rest of the record. "

I take that as Time Flies being HIS particular 'Incident' that changed his life - the total concept of the album being about 'Incidents changing one's lives' - after hearing that PF album, he understood what he had to do with his life. Well that's what I indeed call a HOMMAGE.

Can't help it if other folks don't get that.

Anathema

Old 09-27-2009, 12:15 AM   #1334
country flag Black Dog

Oh, I dind't know about the interview, thanks! I saw comments on Youtube that were ... They were saying things like "I don't understand how people like this can get away with a complete ripoff!"... Dumbasses.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:29 AM   #1335
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Oh, I dind't know about the interview, thanks! I saw comments on Youtube that were ... They were saying things like "I don't understand how people like this can get away with a complete ripoff!"... Dumbasses.
Those plonkers deserve nothing less than a heartfelt

You do know what it reminds me of? The :retard: tard-wars at MTF.
As Mr. S.W. expressed it so well, in his Your Unpleasant Family - might I rephrase that as, 'Your Unpleasant Fans'? :

"Your unpleasant family, smashed up my car
(perfectly uncalled for)

Your unpleasant family, how vile they are
(I crawled out of the wreckage on my knees)

...They torn up my flowers
so what did we learn?
(there I found regret amongst the trees)

Snaps of a life, we had in the garden,

we tear up the flowers"

Awww... - the 'Stupid Dream'-song of The Incident

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 09-27-2009 at 01:07 AM.