Bonnie the Cat's, formerly know as Stupid Dream - PROG ROCK thread! - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-10-2008, 09:03 AM   #106
country flag opeth84

opeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stupid Dream's PROG ROCK thread!

opeth84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2008, 12:43 AM   #107
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

As I'll be on holiday the coming ten days, I'll just leave you with Anathema's
"Are You There"...

Sweet, lovely, and heartbreaking.
And obviously, not to apply to the tastes of the Hardcore Prog Crew over here, but well, why should I care?

See you back in a day or ten, fellows.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:48 AM   #108
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichogaucho View Post

if you look out at the night
you'll see the colours and the lights
seem to say people are not far away,
at least in distance...
Oh my god. OH MY GOD!!! If only I weren't an atheist!!!

Van Der Graaf Generator's "The Undercover Man"!!!

Thank you so much for posting this. A true masterpiece.
(I find it hard to admit it, but I WAS THERE at that tour... )

And their latest appearance at Amsterdam's Milky Way, of course - my review of that experience can be found over here: http://solarfallsrealm.livejournal.com/254393.html

Fantastic concert once again.
Peter Hammill, Hugh Banton & Guy Evans!!! - WHAT A PERFORMANCE that was. Sorry that David Jackson wasn't there anymore... well you can't have everything, no?

PS was at their 2007 Paradiso concert in Amsterdam as well. Review - over here: http://solarfallsrealm.livejournal.com/204740.html...

I love that band, but I guess you already sorted out that, eh?

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 09-11-2008 at 01:06 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:55 AM   #109
Anathemaniac

* BUMP *

I can't see the meaning of this life I'm leading
I try to forget you as you forgot me -
This time there is nothing left for you to take, this
is goodbye.

Summer is miles and miles away,
And no one would ask me to stay.

And I should contemplate this change
To ease the pain -
And I should step out of the rain, and turn away.

Close to ending it all, I am drifting through the stages
Of the rapture born within this loss.
Thoughts of death inside, tear me apart from the core
of my soul

At times the dark's fading slowly
But it never sustains
Would someone watch over me
In my time of need.

Opeth's LOVELY "In My Time Of Need"

Anathema

Old 09-20-2008, 05:25 AM   #110
Anathemaniac

An Old Beloved - "Play Me Old King Cole, that I May Join with You..."

Genesis WITH Peter Gabriel - "The Musical Box"

"She's lady, she's got time, brush back your hair, and let me get to know your flesh..."

And then there are still people around saying that progrock isn't erotic. Fools!!!

Anathema

Old 09-20-2008, 06:37 PM   #111
country flag MatchFederer
-Cheese, Bacon, SOWsages-

MatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond repute

One of the best "arcs" of a Dream Theater song (starting at 6 minutes).
Old 09-20-2008, 06:43 PM   #112

MatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond repute

Jethro Tull, one of my favourite bands.

Last edited by MatchFederer : 09-20-2008 at 06:51 PM.
MatchFederer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:45 PM   #113

A classic Symphony X track, Accolade!

Last edited by MatchFederer : 09-20-2008 at 06:51 PM.
MatchFederer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:48 PM   #114

Meshuggah...

NOT for the fainthearted. Those who aren't immediately put off, I am sure you will apprecitae the intricate rhythms that change in curious ways throughout the track as well as the Vai-esque flavoured solo 2 thirds of the way into the song.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:55 PM   #115

I love listening to these two tracks collectively and really just like to see it as 1 sort of progressive music track. I reckon Coldplay borrowed the piano motive of the 2nd section from Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd.

I am going to start a new thread for electronic music, hopefully some people will enjoy it.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:47 AM   #116
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxygene7 View Post

Meshuggah...

NOT for the fainthearted. Those who aren't immediately put off, I am sure you will apprecitae the intricate rhythms that change in curious ways throughout the track as well as the Vai-esque flavoured solo 2 thirds of the way into the song.
Meshuggah!
Not in the most my fav ProgRock-subcategory (MathMetal... OINK! ), but one surely has to acknowledge that these guys are indeed fantastic inventive musicians.

Anathema

Old 09-21-2008, 01:02 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Dream View Post
Meshuggah!
Not in the most my fav ProgRock-subcategory (MathMetal... OINK! ), but one surely has to acknowledge that these guys are indeed fantastic inventive musicians.
Interesting terminology, but in a funny way it is the more constant and stable bands (in terms of time signatures, lack of cross rhythms, no cross barline writing) that feel more mathematical to me just because everything gets a bit predictable unless the harmonies are particularly immersive.

EDIT: Actually the best example of what I am talking about would be say one of those shitty happy hardcore trance tracks! um BA um BA um BA um BA um BA (Noooooooooooooo.. no please stop.. nooooOOOO! NoOO)!

Anyway, pretty much all of the music in this thread ROCKS! I was just checking out a rendition of Ommadawn that was played in France by Mike Oldfield and other players in 1981. I'll post it here when the thread needs another boost, it was really interesting and rather different to the actual album in terms of its sparser textures and altered timbres.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:55 AM   #118
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxygene7 View Post
Anyway, pretty much all of the music in this thread ROCKS! I was just checking out a rendition of Ommadawn that was played in France by Mike Oldfield and other players in 1981. I'll post it here when the thread needs another boost, it was really interesting and rather different to the actual album in terms of its sparser textures and altered timbres.
Thanks so much!
Yeah, I really liked Mike Oldfield as well, before he started to recycle all of his success albums some 10,000 times...

Since the Symforce-II festival held at Tilburg's 013 just a month ago, I am completely in love with this Belgian band:

Hypnos69

If you like old-school, King Crimson-like true STONER PROG, this is a band for you! Their album "The Eclectic Measure" is nothing less than a masterpiece. It's not just me saying so - check out the raving reviews on Progarchives just to mention one source. Absolutely wonderful!

Okay, the quality is CRAP, but this little vid means a lot to me, as I WAS THERE. Taped at 013's little Badcave venue, bad sound quality, but it surely gives a good indication of the MAGIC going on there that particular night: (not 100% sure of this, but well. it surely resembled that particular night indeed...)

You can't see me, there - I was in the Front Row, and this vid was recorded from the back. I am only 1 meter 56, so that explains it all I guess...
If ever I was there at all. What ever, check out this band, they are GREAT.

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 09-22-2008 at 04:14 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:39 AM   #119
Anathemaniac

And well for now, I'd like to indulge myself in doing a little bit of pimping for a band - this totally unknown Dutch band who will make their maiden appearance at ProgFarm, a very low-key, underground Prog Rock Festival in the North of the Netherlands, featuring French Proggers Nemo as their headliner, this coming month - my dear fellows and friends of 5Bridges!!!!!

Just one little excerpt of 5Bridges's beautiful music over here: "Babylonian Curse Reversed"...

"Yes, we'll be together, come and join me, now!
Nothing seems to matter, I'll follow you somehow...

Now we're joined together, we'll survive somehow -
Sun and Stormy weather, I'll follow you somehow!"

fantastic stuff.

Ahhhh.... check em out...

EDIT: I'm their manager, and as nervous as the band themselves...

Anathema

Old 09-25-2008, 07:53 PM   #120
Anathemaniac

Haha. Just booked my second live appearance for 5bridges...

Boy, Business is Good, lately.
Come on you classical proggers! February 7th, in Utrecht, NL.

Anathema