Bonnie the Cat's, formerly know as Stupid Dream - PROG ROCK thread! - Page 54 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-19-2009, 12:49 AM   #796
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stupid Dream's PROG ROCK thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
I could see this post coming from a thousand miles away.
I can see for miles and miles and miles.

Well, of course you knew - you posted something not progressive rock.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2009, 01:31 AM   #797
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
Karin, help me here: which progressive rock band was the first to become really huge? ELP? Yes? PF?
To my knowledge, ELP was the first to make it 'Big Time', but only very shortly before Yes and Genesis, all in the early 1970's. PF only hit the main stream in the second half of the 1970's as far as I know - but eventually passed them all in terms of becoming a Stadium Act.
Not that I think that is indicative of the quality of these bands' music at all.

Quote:
But King Crimson's first incarnation was very short lived, wasn't it? Also I can't see those guys playing Epitaph in a huge arena.
Providence Forbid that to happen.

Quote:
About Genesis, no surprise if you're into Italian Progressive. PFM sounds a lot like Genesis.
Yep. BTW, not much of a surprise that 5bridgeS are currently negotiating the possibility of joining in with PFM on a combined European tour!

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:34 AM   #798
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think someone mistook this thread for the electronica thread.
Whatever, Kraftwerk surely were pioneers in using electronics, and as such, very influencial in progrock just the same. I think they belong here.

Anathema

Old 07-19-2009, 01:56 AM   #799
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Dream View Post
To my knowledge, ELP was the first to make it 'Big Time', but only very shortly before Yes and Genesis, all in the early 1970's. PF only hit the main stream in the second half of the 1970's as far as I know - but eventually passed them all in terms of becoming a Stadium Act.
Not that I think that is indicative of the quality of these bands' music at all.

Yep. BTW, not much of a surprise that 5bridgeS are currently negotiating the possibility of joining in with PFM on a combined European tour!
Ha, I knew I was right. Well, ELP was created with the supergroup fame already attached to it, so it's kinda expected they were the first to hit it big time.

I actually think Le Orme is the best Italian progressive band, but I do love PFM too. Tagliapetra's vocals are just awesome.

Also I'm in a ELP-worshipping phase, so...
Old 07-19-2009, 02:00 AM   #800
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Ha, I knew I was right. Well, ELP was created with the supergroup fame already attached to it, so it's kinda expected they were the first to hit it big time.
Yep, I think that fact surely contributed to their early commercial success...

Quote:
I actually think Le Orme is the best Italian progressive band, but I do love PFM too. Tagliapetra's vocals are just awesome.
Both are awesome I think, but my current fav Italian Proggers are Nemo.
Saw them perform at the Progfarm Festival last year, they were GREAT.
Not just their gig, they were very nice lads to have a chat with at the 'afterparty' just the same.

Quote:
Also I'm in a ELP-worshipping phase, so...
never mind.

Anathema

Old 07-19-2009, 02:20 AM   #801
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

There's one thing that bugged me in the Italian bands, or at least some of them: the attempts at re-recording their albums in English.

Italian is such an expressive language... no need to translate - after all, music has no language.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:28 PM   #802
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I can see for miles and miles and miles.

Well, of course you knew - you posted something not progressive rock.
jeez you're worse than a North Korean censor.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:11 PM   #803
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Isn't Nemo French, Karin?
Old 07-19-2009, 06:12 PM   #804
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Isn't Nemo French, Karin?
Oops yes. Slight mistake there!
But still a very Genesis-like style, guess that's why I initially thought they were Italian.

Anathema

Old 07-19-2009, 06:14 PM   #805
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Dream View Post
Oops yes. Slight mistake there!
But still a very Genesis-like style, guess that's why I initially thought they were Italian.
Wow that was fast.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:15 PM   #806
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Wow that was fast.
heheh. Coincidence, I am/should be uploading my holiday pictures right now.
MTF is addictive though.

Anathema

Old 07-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #807
country flag Echoes

Echoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond repute

Why can't we consider Ummagumma and Atom Heart Mother from PF as progressive? I feel they're quite different from Barrett's acid psychedelic music.
Echoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:30 PM   #808
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Why can't we consider Ummagumma and Atom Heart Mother from PF as progressive? I feel they're quite different from Barrett's acid psychedelic music.
we should.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #809
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
we should.
Most definitely PROG.

Anathema

Old 07-22-2009, 05:46 PM   #810
country flag Echoes

Echoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond repute

Well last night - Brussels time - I've read the 54 pages of this topic and I thought I've read that PF was only prog from Meddle (or from Dark Side). Have I dreamed?
Echoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote