Bonnie the Cat's, formerly know as Stupid Dream - PROG ROCK thread! - Page 53 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-01-2009, 10:33 PM   #781
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stupid Dream's PROG ROCK thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan23 View Post
Was clearing out some stuff earlier and came across some photos of when i saw Ritchie Blackmore/Rainbow live in London woulda of been around 1997, wonderfull gig

i remember the highlight being Smoke on the water from his Deep Purple days..

and, the best of them all:

Perhaps not Purist Prog, but certainly deserves a mentioning here, if only for that fantastic hammond organ, played by Don Airy.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 07-01-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2009, 09:02 AM   #782
country flag ryan23

ryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice post mate, sargazer one of my favs of theirs, along with gates of babylon and L.A Connection, i wasent as keen on the more 'pop' stuff like Since you been gone,All night long and I surrender, good radio hits but nothing more, you still hear those 3 songs today in pubs/clubs and radio and they got hits out of them so i guess it was great for them

Big Star/Alex Chilton R.I.P

The Stone Roses

Guns N' Roses
ryan23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:03 AM   #783
country flag ryan23

ryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of talk over the past few pages about what is prog and whats not etc etc so who were the first prog rock band to make it big? Genises? Yes? and is it fair to say when Punk came along it completly killed Prog rock? i think in England it did,bands like the Sex pistols, a history lesson for me would be great,

The Stone Roses

Guns N' Roses
Old 07-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #784
country flag CerealDave

CerealDave has a reputation beyond reputeCerealDave has a reputation beyond reputeCerealDave has a reputation beyond reputeCerealDave has a reputation beyond reputeCerealDave has a reputation beyond reputeCerealDave has a reputation beyond reputeCerealDave has a reputation beyond reputeCerealDave has a reputation beyond reputeCerealDave has a reputation beyond reputeCerealDave has a reputation beyond reputeCerealDave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Dream View Post
Perhaps not Purist Prog, but certainly deserves a mentioning here, if only for that fantastic hammond organ, played by Don Airy.
That was actually Tony Carey in the videos you posted. Don Airey didn't join the band until 1978. It's difficult keeping up as Rainbow was a classic case of having a revolving door line-up.

Anyhoo, hasn't anyone mentioned Threshold yet?

Of course, they've been through a few members themselves. Only the right-handed guitarist and the keyboard player remain from the lineup in the first video. Their current singer is Damien Wilson, who is in the third video, although he was also the first singer they ever had (he's been in and out of the band over the years).
CerealDave is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:20 PM   #785
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan23 View Post
A lot of talk over the past few pages about what is prog and whats not etc etc so who were the first prog rock band to make it big? Genises? Yes? and is it fair to say when Punk came along it completly killed Prog rock? i think in England it did,bands like the Sex pistols, a history lesson for me would be great,
Hummmmm that's actually a good question. I think the first progressive band to reach millionaire sales was Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

The progressive rock movement started in the late 60s, in an attempt to give artistic credibility to rock music. There's a controversy about when it started, but most sources agree it started with albums like The Beatles' Revolver, as a consequence of the experimentations with psychedelia. In the late 60s, full-fledged progressive rock bands were born - King Crimson, Genesis, Yes, ELP. Other bands became progressive, like Pink Floyd (psychedelic band until Meddle, then progressive). I think that in terms of records sold, Yes and ELP were bigger than Genesis in the early 70s, but Genesis had huge hits later on their career. Karen could help me on this one, for sure.

Yeah, it's regarded prog rock's own pretentiousness killed it, spawning several movements with completely opposite ideals, like punk rock. Actually, prog rock as a style lost steam and the big names started making lacklustre albums, alienating their own fanbase. As with the creation of basically every new musical style, what happens is usually a reaction to the establishment. Punk rock then was the negation of everything progressive rock stood for - high technical skill, pompous arrangements and long suites. The surge of the new wave movement also resulted in the modification of the sound of the remaining progressive bulwarks all changed their sounds in the late 70s. This can be exemplified by Genesis' hits in the 80s and Yes' Drama album.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:15 PM   #786
country flag ryan23

Many thanks for that post Glenn, really intersting stuff, The Beatles also the first band to make proper albums not just the singles being the good songs and an album filled with good songs instead of before just the singles being the stand out tracks

The Stone Roses

Guns N' Roses
Old 07-15-2009, 05:53 PM   #787
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Also multitracking was pioneered by the Beatles. This was very important in the development of progressive rock, as it needed the several layers of sound for the creation of ambient sounds and deeper instrumental passages.

Last edited by GlennMirnyi : 07-15-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:52 PM   #788
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, fellow Proggies!
I'm a bit late with replying as I am on holiday in Slovenia right now and had quite a bit of trouble finding a DECENT internet connection - so excuse me for my absence as of late. I will be back home coming Sunday, so I'll try and keep up with the thread again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealDave View Post
That was actually Tony Carey in the videos you posted. Don Airey didn't join the band until 1978. It's difficult keeping up as Rainbow was a classic case of having a revolving door line-up.
You are entirely right. , it's quite difficult to keep up with all of Rainbow's (and Deep Purple's as well) line-ups. Both bands could/can well be regarded as a Musician's Pigeon Home...

Quote:
Anyhoo, hasn't anyone mentioned Threshold yet?

Of course, they've been through a few members themselves. Only the right-handed guitarist and the keyboard player remain from the lineup in the first video. Their current singer is Damien Wilson, who is in the third video, although he was also the first singer they ever had (he's been in and out of the band over the years).
I absolutely ADORED Threshold's first two allbums with Damian!
Wounded Land and Extinct Instinct are imho two absolute highlights within the genre of 'prog-metal'. I like those albums a lot more than any of Dream Theater's assets, which I guess is caused by the fact that Damian Wilson is a fantastic singer indeed, whereas James Labrie...
uh.

- just my personal opinion of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
Hummmmm that's actually a good question. I think the first progressive band to reach millionaire sales was Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

The progressive rock movement started in the late 60s, in an attempt to give artistic credibility to rock music. There's a controversy about when it started, but most sources agree it started with albums like The Beatles' Revolver, as a consequence of the experimentations with psychedelia. In the late 60s, full-fledged progressive rock bands were born - King Crimson, Genesis, Yes, ELP. Other bands became progressive, like Pink Floyd (psychedelic band until Meddle, then progressive). I think that in terms of records sold, Yes and ELP were bigger than Genesis in the early 70s, but Genesis had huge hits later on their career. Karen could help me on this one, for sure.
- I fully agree with this. There were a lot of experiments with orchestrations and the like going on during the late 1960's, and imho, it indeed led up to the genre now known as 'classic prog rock'.

Quote:
Yeah, it's regarded prog rock's own pretentiousness killed it, spawning several movements with completely opposite ideals, like punk rock. Actually, prog rock as a style lost steam and the big names started making lacklustre albums, alienating their own fanbase. As with the creation of basically every new musical style, what happens is usually a reaction to the establishment. Punk rock then was the negation of everything progressive rock stood for - high technical skill, pompous arrangements and long suites. The surge of the new wave movement also resulted in the modification of the sound of the remaining progressive bulwarks all changed their sounds in the late 70s. This can be exemplified by Genesis' hits in the 80s and Yes' Drama album.
Pretty much correct.
Genesis and Pink Floyd took the 'Let's make some $$$$$$$$$'-route, Yes continued struggling, and in all, most of the Big Names of the 1970's either disintegrated or continued on a much smaller scale. The only exception coming to my mind was Rush, who, very intelligently, always managed to incorporate the hype-of-the-moment within their music without 'selling their souls to the Cash Machine'.
One of the main reasons they're still there (drummer Neil Peart will be 60 years old next year!!! ), and still are the high quality band they've been throughout their 40-years livespan as a band. WOW.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:10 AM   #789
country flag Guy Haines

Guy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond repute

This is contemporary with prog and krautrock elements. This album -- Vinonaamakasio by Shogun Kunitoki -- is great.

Vintage Massiera freakery:

Last edited by Guy Haines : 07-17-2009 at 02:30 AM.
Guy Haines is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:15 AM   #790
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Karin, help me here: which progressive rock band was the first to become really huge? ELP? Yes? PF?
Old 07-17-2009, 07:21 AM   #791
country flag jonathancrane

jonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond repute

For what I read and people who lived in that era told me, the first prog band who made a big commercial impact was King Crimson with their debut album.
As a consistent band (meaning with that a band who frequently put his albums on the top of the best selling list) it was ELP, and Yes too.
Later Pink Floyd were the most succesful prog band, but they can't be consider a proper prog band until Meddle (and that record wasn't a commercial success)

A curious thing: Genesis had huge success first on Italy.

Last edited by jonathancrane : 07-17-2009 at 07:48 AM.
jonathancrane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:58 PM   #792
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
For what I read and people who lived in that era told me, the first prog band who made a big commercial impact was King Crimson with their debut album.
As a consistent band (meaning with that a band who frequently put his albums on the top of the best selling list) it was ELP, and Yes too.
Later Pink Floyd were the most succesful prog band, but they can't be consider a proper prog band until Meddle (and that record wasn't a commercial success)

A curious thing: Genesis had huge success first on Italy.
But King Crimson's first incarnation was very short lived, wasn't it? Also I can't see those guys playing Epitaph in a huge arena.

About Genesis, no surprise if you're into Italian Progressive. PFM sounds a lot like Genesis.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:44 PM   #793
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:15 PM   #794
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
I think someone mistook this thread for the electronica thread.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:56 PM   #795
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
I think someone mistook this thread for the electronica thread.
I could see this post coming from a thousand miles away.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote