Bonnie the Cat's, formerly know as Stupid Dream - PROG ROCK thread! - Page 47 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-13-2009, 01:52 AM   #691
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stupid Dream's PROG ROCK thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
The Oxford dictionary disagrees with you. Check it.
From the Oxford Dictionary of the English Language:

inasmuch |ˌinəzˈmə ch |
adverb ( inasmuch as)
to the extent that; insofar as : these provisions apply only inasmuch as trade between Member States is affected.
• considering that; since (used to specify the respect in which a statement is true) : a most unusual astronomer inasmuch as he was deaf-mute.
ORIGIN Middle English : originally as in as much, translating Old French en tant (que) ‘in so much (as).’

You need a full verbal clause, and not a given phrase like that one. Say, if "concerned" in that sentence meant "worried", then it would be grammatically correct.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2009, 02:48 AM   #692
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
From the Oxford Dictionary of the English Language:

inasmuch |ˌinəzˈmə ch |
adverb ( inasmuch as)
to the extent that; insofar as : these provisions apply only inasmuch as trade between Member States is affected.
• considering that; since (used to specify the respect in which a statement is true) : a most unusual astronomer inasmuch as he was deaf-mute.
ORIGIN Middle English : originally as in as much, translating Old French en tant (que) ‘in so much (as).’

You need a full verbal clause, and not a given phrase like that one. Say, if "concerned" in that sentence meant "worried", then it would be grammatically correct.

I just substituted inasmuch for "to the extent that" and it retains its meaning mate.

Invert my frase.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:11 AM   #693
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I just substituted inasmuch for "to the extent that" and it retains its meaning mate.

Invert my frase.
Nope. I know it retains its meaning, but it's wrong, you can't use "to the extent that" that way either. Check the google results if you don't believe me. I know that's not scientific, but it shows how things are used.

Although it's similar, "inasmuch" isn't used the same way as "as far as".

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Old 06-13-2009, 03:23 AM   #694
country flag Pfloyd

Pfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond repute

"Pigs (Three Different Ones)" - Pink Floyd

Old 06-13-2009, 04:19 AM   #695
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nope. I know it retains its meaning, but it's wrong, you can't use "to the extent that" that way either. Check the google results if you don't believe me. I know that's not scientific, but it shows how things are used.

Although it's similar, "inasmuch" isn't used the same way as "as far as".
It's not because it's not common that it is wrong, mate.

Again, invert my sentence and it will be just like the examples in the dictionary. I'm just very keen on inverting the order of clauses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfloyd View Post
"Pigs (Three Different Ones)" - Pink Floyd

Finally you posted something remarkable.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:38 AM   #696
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
It's not because it's not common that it is wrong, mate.
I didn't say that. Those expressions are uncommon to start with, but when the dictionary says smth and the usage agrees...

Quote:
Again, invert my sentence and it will be just like the examples in the dictionary.
Nope. Still missing a full verbal clause after the thingy.

Pink Floyd ftw. Someone post The Thin Ice, I'm too lazy.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:09 PM   #697
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Quote:
I didn't say that. Those expressions are uncommon to start with, but when the dictionary says smth and the usage agrees...

Nope. Still missing a full verbal clause after the thingy.

Pink Floyd ftw. Someone post The Thin Ice, I'm too lazy.
It is not missing, mr. Francophobe.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #698
country flag Ouragan

Ouragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfloyd View Post
Roger Waters' "Dogs" from Pink Floyd underrated "Animals" album.

+1. This album so rocks.
Ouragan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:38 PM   #699
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
It is not missing, mr. Francophobe.
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/victories.html

Old 06-13-2009, 07:42 PM   #700
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Quote:
You've pasted that 5 or 6 times in MTF man, that joke has expired its warranty.

Vive la France!
Old 06-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #701
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
You've pasted that 5 or 6 times in MTF man, that joke has expired its warranty.

Vive la France!
You haven't been following me close enough. That joke will NEVER expire.

Unless I find a better one...

Old 06-13-2009, 08:05 PM   #702
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Quote:
You haven't been following me close enough. That joke will NEVER expire.

Unless I find a better one...
I suggest you find another one, vite!
Old 06-13-2009, 08:11 PM   #703
country flag jonathancrane

jonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond repute

Post some music, you morons
jonathancrane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:35 PM   #704
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I got a tip for you guys, if you install the French versions of your favorite programs, THEY RUN A LOT FASTER

Old 06-13-2009, 08:56 PM   #705
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Quote:
I got a tip for you guys, if you install the French versions of your favorite programs, THEY RUN A LOT FASTER
One more bad joke about the French and I'll mobilize the French players forum to report you to hell.