Bonnie the Cat's, formerly know as Stupid Dream - PROG ROCK thread! - Page 42 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-24-2009, 07:10 PM   #616
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stupid Dream's PROG ROCK thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
Congratulations! Great news (5bridges, right?)
Yeah! Well it's going really fine for the guys right now. The debut CD was recieved very well indeed, got them raving reviews in the progrock press everywhere, and now we're about planning interviews and radio appearances... and hooray, the CD is actually getting sold!
(which is a rather comforting thought if you realize that the band members put some 5-digit amount in getting the thing out...)

There will be a lot of work done the coming weeks - I'm trying to get them on tour on a progrock package with a couple of other bands. Nothing is set in stone yet but it looks rather promising right now. There are contacts with the Italian proggers of PFM - 5Bridges has two Italian bandmember as well so that makes the conversation a lot easier, ...

Would be fantastic if the band could be PFM's opener. I guess all the 'my grandmother has her birthday', 'my cat is ill', and 'my girlfriend wants to get out shopping'-excuses are OFF for a while...

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2009, 10:48 PM   #617
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for not replying to my post, Karin.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:06 AM   #618
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
Thanks for not replying to my post, Karin.
Bugger, the net (or was it MTF's notorious server???) just ATE my extensive reply to you!

I'm sorry, next try right now - but first and foremost, are you coming to Europe soon? I never heard back from you when you said so...

Quote:
Ah for sure the genre's definitions aren't written in stone, but as far as it concerns us, we can pretty much agree on some of them to make the discussion easier.

Well, I disagree when you say that it may be more alive now than ever. It's definitely more alive than in the 80s and 90s, but ever? It's more about the acceptance than anything else. The punk movement painted progressive rock in awful colours. Progressive rock was an archaic genre, the embodiment of the excesses of the 70s. Of course some of the stuff done during the decade helped the detractors in creating such an image of excessive self-importance (Tales From Topographic Oceans and Tormato come to mind, being a fan of Yes). As expected, the decade where less was more, the 80s, is long gone and the revival of the early 2000s also is. The last years have seen the return of so many old bands from the 70s, like reunions of Queen and Led Zeppelin... the rise of bands heavily influenced by those guys, like Wolfmother... in conclusion, the 70s are being stripped of their bad image, and the highlights are showing again. I'd call the 70s the last decade where multi-selling rock musicians could actually play. Nowadays, well, I'm not gonna comment.

Now for the elitist talk: I love it.

Of course what's Jupiter's is Jupiter's. There's no denying progressive rock is too sophisticated for the masses, and it should always remain like that. Every excursion progressive made into pop has been shunned upon, from Yes' "Don't Kill The Whale" to Asia's whole career, to Genesis' albums after Trick Of The Tail, and so on.

Well, elegant, sophisticated and refined are the words that come to my mind when I think about my favorite musical style. The word elegant I borrowed from one of my favorite records - probably THE favorite outside my progressive preferences - Al Di Meola's Elegant Gypsy. Also a very elegant album.
As I said, the net ate my extensive reply to this post of yours, and right now, I'm busy with a piece of artwork which asks for my full attention.
In general I fully agree.

Still I am happy to see so many young musicians at least being influenced by the Legends of Old right now. Fantastic! I guess all the guys and galls (fortunately, a lot more of those as well) have pulled out their parents' secretely hidden gems from their cupboards and decided that 'progrock is indeed PRETTY COOL!'- and NOT for the masses, indeed.

Quote:
By the way, Karin, could you ask the administrator of the progarchives.com forums to enable my account? The freaking activation e-mail must've been blocked by my e-mail provider's anti-spam and even turning off and asking for another e-mail hasn't helped me.

My first post is gonna be about Starcastle for sure.
PM me your data, and I'll see what I can do for you. It sounds pretty strange - hope you'll be over there to join in soon, even if your first post is about Starcastle - the most terrible Yes-impersonation job I ever heard, .

Still about to visit the Netherlands, Gu?
I'd like to introduce you to a band that I'm very sure you'd like a lot, in case you do. 5briges, of course...

Anathema

Old 02-27-2009, 12:39 AM   #619
Anathemaniac

Ah, just a tiny vid to *bump* this thread again. A dreadful one to be honest.

Piet's wobbly voice due to a throat infection. Bassist Martin who had a rather nasty accident on his bike just a few days before, causing him to injure both of his wrists. Guitarist Enzo, wondering what was going on at all after he experienced serious trouble with his backline - he was in true *in absentia*-mode, at least during this particular vid.
To add up to it all, a complete 'mispeer' (Dutch for entire DISASTER, a genuine mis-hit), by the usually very versatile drummer Rob van der Linden. Band took it well, though.

Whatever, here's 5Bridges....

The evening was a great success, whatever.

Anathema

Old 03-28-2009, 04:30 AM   #620
Anathemaniac

Time for a *BUMP*

Where are you, my fellow-proggies?
Just secured my tickets for Porcupine Tree's show in Amsterdam coming October.

Anathema

Old 03-28-2009, 04:49 AM   #621
country flag Fensler
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Fensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Dream View Post
Where are you, my fellow-proggies?
Somewhere...waiting for you to return to your thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Dream View Post
Just secured my tickets for Porcupine Tree's show in Amsterdam coming October.
Have fun.

And what other concerts will you be attending this year? I presume you're calendar is pretty full in that regard...

Pre-Copernican beliefs in the modern world: "56% think the Sun rotates around the Earth."
---

When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.
Fensler is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:30 AM   #622
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fensler View Post
Somewhere...waiting for you to return to your thread.
Really...? ...

Well then, I guess I have to post a lot more than I did so far!

Quote:
And what other concerts will you be attending this year? I presume you're calendar is pretty full in that regard...
Too many to mention. Tomorrow I'll be seeing the lovely Mr. Danny Cavanagh & Ms. Anneke van Giersbergen perform in Tilburg's Little Devil, thereafter... a lot of festivals and indoors multiple-headliner shows to follow, the major one being Pure Reason Revolution in Zoetermeer's 'Boerderij', due April 11th.

Anathema

Old 03-29-2009, 02:05 AM   #623
Anathemaniac

"I know what I like, and I like what I know!!!"

Anathema

Old 03-29-2009, 02:18 AM   #624
Anathemaniac

"The Deck was uneven right from the start..."

Anathema

Old 03-29-2009, 02:44 AM   #625
Anathemaniac

And for Contemporary Prog, here's

As well as...

Anathema

Old 04-30-2009, 02:07 AM   #626
Anathemaniac

Just another little bump folks / one of the most underrated Prog Rock Bands of All Times!

There we shall spend the final days of our lives...
tell the same old stories: well, at least we tried.
So into the West, smiles on our faces, we'll go;
oh! yes, and our apologies to those
who'll never really know the Way....

Van der Graaf Generator. Refugees!!!

Anathema

Old 04-30-2009, 02:34 AM   #627
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute

new mastodon album sees them take another small step in karin's direction
Old 04-30-2009, 03:06 AM   #628
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Karin keeping the thread alive by herself.

It's been a while I don't hear anything new, prog-related.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:26 AM   #629
country flag jonathancrane

jonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond repute

VdGG
jonathancrane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:59 PM   #630
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
new mastodon album sees them take another small step in karin's direction
Mastodon! Oh yeah I know those guys. Very intelligent metal indeed.

Quote:
Karin keeping the thread alive by herself.

It's been a while I don't hear anything new, prog-related.
SOMEONE has to do the dirty job, isn't that so, Gu?
PROG = MY LIFE. Old Prog. New Prog. Disputable Prog. Any PROG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
VdGG
Indeed. I had the pleasure to witness Peter Hamill and his fantastic folks playing LIVE twice the past two years... and all I can say is that he is a TRUE LEGEND. What a man he is... 68 years of age, and still going strong. That's the spirit!

Anathema