Bonnie the Cat's, formerly know as Stupid Dream - PROG ROCK thread! - Page 41 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-11-2009, 03:21 PM   #601
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stupid Dream's PROG ROCK thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvig View Post
Take a look at maybe the best prog rock site - http://www.progarchives.com

The prog rock you se as the only genre is only a sub-genre on that site. And every album I've listed and linked to is actually listed on that site.
Not as progressive rock.

I'm not talking about Symphonic only - King Crimson's string of great records with Bruford and Wetton is anything but Symphonic.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2009, 02:59 AM   #602
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Im just a lover of music. Lost track of the music world in the mid 90s. Not before youtube and threads in all kinds of forums because of that I once again hooked in. Because of intense search on the internet (in relevant forums) I have the last two years discovered a LOT of interesting new bands I never heard of before.
- in contrary to what a lot of 'major' bands (and the major record companies of course) claim, the internet is indeed a True Gift from Heaven to all those people who do not feel attracted to the massively overhyped commercial CRAP you get to hear on the radio and read about in the popular magazines.

It enables us to make our *own* discoveries and boy, there is so much Underground Beauty to find out about out there in cyberspace! I'm not exaggerating when I say that since I've discovered YouTube, MySpace, music forums, etc., I've been buying about a ten-fold of the number of CDs that I used to buy before. No 'disappointments' anymore, either.

Heheh... sorry for my rather ecstatic earlier reply to your post, but it is indeed heart-warming to find someone mentioning a true gem like Antimatter. What a fantastic band (or rather, project, from the ever leaving-and-returning Mick Moss & Duncan Patterson - of Anathema fame - fellows ) that indeed is. I had the pleasure to see them perform live a couple of months ago, in a little pub in Tilburg (capacity: 45 attendants) - and I barely ever witnessed so much emotion and passion conveyed by two fat, old, ugly guys on a barstool, using merely a semi-acoustic guitar, a mandoline and their beautiful voices...

BTW, where do you come from? Any opportunity to see plenty of proggie concerts where you live?

Here's one of their gems for you to enjoy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
Then don't call it a list of prog albums, because they're not.
That's YOUR opinion. Plenty others disagree with you on this here.

Quote:
And it's not because Karin started the thread that she's now a judge on what opinion matters or not.
I can't remember ever having made such a claim. To me, all it is about is whether the music is inventive, interesting, and most of all, moving.

Quote:
Basically you must be the only person in the world who think of progressive rock not as a genre.
Progressive Rock is indeed a genre, but one that is not easily defined. During the past 30, 40 years, it's been evolving constantly (I'd say that should be the key thing to something being called progressive), and by now, there are many sub-genres, and with that, also the IMHO rather pointless battles among fans on what is prog and what is not. It is a debate that will never end, and well, it doesn't at all matter either.

As far as I am concerned, I fully welcome the imput from all sorts of different influences - post-rock, experimental, metal, gothic, drone, whatever - it's the evolution the genre needed, if it wouldn't be there, the genre would have died a certain death after Yes, Genesis & Pink Floyd either faded into oblivion (Yes), or became boring Enormodrome-acts. Just my humble opinion, of course - but from what I've been witnessing the past ten years or so, the genre is alive-and-kicking again, thanks to all the inspired youngsters who had the guts to pull out the old LP's from their parents' closets to discover that that 'old stuff' was actually very inspiring for them to incorporate the influences and come up with something new of their own!

Quote:
Take a look at maybe the best prog rock site - http://www.progarchives.com

The prog rock you se as the only genre is only a sub-genre on that site. And every album I've listed and linked to is actually listed on that site.
I am a reviewer over there, and I can tell you, I don't always agree with the bands they allow to be added to that site - I mean, huh, Iron Maiden??? - but in all, there's still plenty of new additions that should be able to appeal to the 'Purists' (hi, Gu! ) as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
Karin
Glad to see you active again
Took a bit of a break, but well... how can you stay away if you see so much great music being discussed in this thread? In other words: I'm back, yeah. Thanks for your kind words!

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:09 AM   #603
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

I have never told you ever made that claim, Karin.

Well, nobody in the world will agree The Doors were progressive, for instance. It was psychedelic rock with some touches of jazz at the end.

Progressive has evolved and thus has branched into different sub-genres, it's obvious. Even something as firmly incrusted in the 70s like Italian Progressive is a sub-genre of the original progressive rock. There is no denying, though, that the genre has also spawned some other genres, like Neo-Progressive, who are genres of their own, something different from progressive rock as defined in the 70s. It may be progressive, but not progressive rock. It can be called evolution, but in the Darwinist sense - it has changed to survive in a different environment - and therefore it has become another genre (species). We must keep the nomenclature definite here, otherwise any discussion will always go round in circles.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:11 AM   #604
country flag JolánGagó
Banned!

JolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond repute

I've been told "pink Floyd" is performing soon in Barcelona. It isn't me who's going to see them
JolánGagó is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:31 AM   #605
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
I have never told you ever made that claim, Karin.
No prob, Gu.

Quote:
Well, nobody in the world will agree The Doors were progressive, for instance. It was psychedelic rock with some touches of jazz at the end.
I fully agree. I do admit that Jim Morrison & Co. surely had their influences on prog in general, if only for the way they managed to incorporate the influences you mentioned in a very accessible manner for the 'main crowd'. Doesn't make it to being progrock for me, but I do think it's the most proggie stuff a lot of people will ever recognize it to be.

Quote:
Progressive has evolved and thus has branched into different sub-genres, it's obvious. Even something as firmly incrusted in the 70s like Italian Progressive is a sub-genre of the original progressive rock. There is no denying, though, that the genre has also spawned some other genres, like Neo-Progressive, who are genres of their own, something different from progressive rock as defined in the 70s. It may be progressive, but not progressive rock. It can be called evolution, but in the Darwinist sense - it has changed to survive in a different environment - and therefore it has become another genre (species). We must keep the nomenclature definite here, otherwise any discussion will always go round in circles.
Good post.

I have no doubt that the discussion WILL always go in circles, just as is the case at ProgArchives.com!
Even more - if there'd be no discussion anymore, I think the whole genre would indeed have died down by now... still I think that 'progressive rock' as a genre is indeed more alive than it ever was before right now.

<ELITIST TALK> Okay - in the underground - but would you really want to see this genre being accepted by 'the masses'? Having to endure the bands to play the Enormodromes, watching ignorant fanboys/girls taking over the fandom, the beauty of it all becoming part of an 'industry', in stead of it being guided - and guarded! - by the people who love the music more than anything else, like it is right now? I don't.

"Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi...!"

</ELITIST TALK>

BTW - the band I'm working for right now - 5BridgeS - have released their debut CD a week ago, and I can't help but think you - Gu, in particular - would like it a lot. If you are into Classic Symphonic Prog, that is!

Even more, in my review of their debut CD, "The Thomas Tracks" - I made a reference to one of Gu's statements about progrock - 'the most ELEGANT of all rock music styles' - with reason!

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 02-13-2009 at 01:47 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:35 AM   #606
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolánGagó View Post
I've been told "pink Floyd" is performing soon in Barcelona. It isn't me who's going to see them
Ah, one of those dreadful 'tribute bands'? - indeed.

Anathema

Old 02-13-2009, 02:21 AM   #607
Anathemaniac

Aviv Geffen & the GOAT of temporary ProgRock, aka Mr. Steven Wilson, aka Blackfield- "Pain" live, taped live for an israeli audience (with former Porkster Chris Maitland behind the drum kit)...

"... Will we ever meet again, as friends, after so long?"

Blackfield =

And with this I'll leave you again - but just for a week.
Going to scale a few mountains in Wallis, Switzerland, just for relaxation.

Anathema

Old 02-13-2009, 02:49 AM   #608
country flag Aphex
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Aphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond repute

I must say I really like this thread. A lot of stuff in here to discover for a music lover like myself.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:06 AM   #609
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Dream View Post
No prob, Gu.

I fully agree. I do admit that Jim Morrison & Co. surely had their influences on prog in general, if only for the way they managed to incorporate the influences you mentioned in a very accessible manner for the 'main crowd'. Doesn't make it to being progrock for me, but I do think it's the most proggie stuff a lot of people will ever recognize it to be.

Good post.

I have no doubt that the discussion WILL always go in circles, just as is the case at ProgArchives.com!
Even more - if there'd be no discussion anymore, I think the whole genre would indeed have died down by now... still I think that 'progressive rock' as a genre is indeed more alive than it ever was before right now.

<ELITIST TALK> Okay - in the underground - but would you really want to see this genre being accepted by 'the masses'? Having to endure the bands to play the Enormodromes, watching ignorant fanboys/girls taking over the fandom, the beauty of it all becoming part of an 'industry', in stead of it being guided - and guarded! - by the people who love the music more than anything else, like it is right now? I don't.

"Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi...!"

</ELITIST TALK>

BTW - the band I'm working for right now - 5BridgeS - have released their debut CD a week ago, and I can't help but think you - Gu, in particular - would like it a lot. If you are into Classic Symphonic Prog, that is!

Even more, in my review of their debut CD, "The Thomas Tracks" - I made a reference to one of Gu's statements about progrock - 'the most ELEGANT of all rock music styles' - with reason!
Ah for sure the genre's definitions aren't written in stone, but as far as it concerns us, we can pretty much agree on some of them to make the discussion easier.

Well, I disagree when you say that it may be more alive now than ever. It's definitely more alive than in the 80s and 90s, but ever? It's more about the acceptance than anything else. The punk movement painted progressive rock in awful colours. Progressive rock was an archaic genre, the embodiment of the excesses of the 70s. Of course some of the stuff done during the decade helped the detractors in creating such an image of excessive self-importance (Tales From Topographic Oceans and Tormato come to mind, being a fan of Yes). As expected, the decade where less was more, the 80s, is long gone and the revival of the early 2000s also is. The last years have seen the return of so many old bands from the 70s, like reunions of Queen and Led Zeppelin... the rise of bands heavily influenced by those guys, like Wolfmother... in conclusion, the 70s are being stripped of their bad image, and the highlights are showing again. I'd call the 70s the last decade where multi-selling rock musicians could actually play. Nowadays, well, I'm not gonna comment.

Now for the elitist talk: I love it.

Of course what's Jupiter's is Jupiter's. There's no denying progressive rock is too sophisticated for the masses, and it should always remain like that. Every excursion progressive made into pop has been shunned upon, from Yes' "Don't Kill The Whale" to Asia's whole career, to Genesis' albums after Trick Of The Tail, and so on.

Well, elegant, sophisticated and refined are the words that come to my mind when I think about my favorite musical style. The word elegant I borrowed from one of my favorite records - probably THE favorite outside my progressive preferences - Al Di Meola's Elegant Gypsy. Also a very elegant album.

By the way, Karin, could you ask the administrator of the progarchives.com forums to enable my account? The freaking activation e-mail must've been blocked by my e-mail provider's anti-spam and even turning off and asking for another e-mail hasn't helped me.

My first post is gonna be about Starcastle for sure.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:58 PM   #610
country flag Jarvig

Jarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond repute

Im not much into neo-prog of the 80s. So Im not that too much of a fan of Pendragon.

But I like thier latest developement in their two latest albums. The best of Pendragon is still there....but more clean, cut, modern (and metal) than ever. This next vid "Freakshow" is from Pure. Here in a short radio edit.....Youtube didnt have the original version.

Jarvig is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #611
country flag Jarvig

Jarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

- in contrary to what a lot of 'major' bands (and the major record companies of course) claim, the internet is indeed a True Gift from Heaven to all those people who do not feel attracted to the massively overhyped commercial CRAP you get to hear on the radio and read about in the popular magazines.

It enables us to make our *own* discoveries and boy, there is so much Underground Beauty to find out about out there in cyberspace! I'm not exaggerating when I say that since I've discovered YouTube, MySpace, music forums, etc., I've been buying about a ten-fold of the number of CDs that I used to buy before. No 'disappointments' anymore, either.

One of the few good bands from Denmark the latest years is Volbeat. They a good pop-metal.

Heheh... sorry for my rather ecstatic earlier reply to your post, but it is indeed heart-warming to find someone mentioning a true gem like Antimatter. What a fantastic band (or rather, project, from the ever leaving-and-returning Mick Moss & Duncan Patterson - of Anathema fame - fellows ) that indeed is. I had the pleasure to see them perform live a couple of months ago, in a little pub in Tilburg (capacity: 45 attendants) - and I barely ever witnessed so much emotion and passion conveyed by two fat, old, ugly guys on a barstool, using merely a semi-acoustic guitar, a mandoline and their beautiful voices...

BTW, where do you come from? Any opportunity to see plenty of proggie concerts where you live?

Here's one of their gems for you to enjoy:

That's YOUR opinion. Plenty others disagree with you on this here.

I can't remember ever having made such a claim. To me, all it is about is whether the music is inventive, interesting, and most of all, moving.

Progressive Rock is indeed a genre, but one that is not easily defined. During the past 30, 40 years, it's been evolving constantly (I'd say that should be the key thing to something being called progressive), and by now, there are many sub-genres, and with that, also the IMHO rather pointless battles among fans on what is prog and what is not. It is a debate that will never end, and well, it doesn't at all matter either.

As far as I am concerned, I fully welcome the imput from all sorts of different influences - post-rock, experimental, metal, gothic, drone, whatever - it's the evolution the genre needed, if it wouldn't be there, the genre would have died a certain death after Yes, Genesis & Pink Floyd either faded into oblivion (Yes), or became boring Enormodrome-acts. Just my humble opinion, of course - but from what I've been witnessing the past ten years or so, the genre is alive-and-kicking again, thanks to all the inspired youngsters who had the guts to pull out the old LP's from their parents' closets to discover that that 'old stuff' was actually very inspiring for them to incorporate the influences and come up with something new of their own!

I am a reviewer over there, and I can tell you, I don't always agree with the bands they allow to be added to that site - I mean, huh, Iron Maiden??? - but in all, there's still plenty of new additions that should be able to appeal to the 'Purists' (hi, Gu! ) as well.

Took a bit of a break, but well... how can you stay away if you see so much great music being discussed in this thread? In other words: I'm back, yeah. Thanks for your kind words!
Nice vid with Antimatter. Gotta love them....and we do.

Its all right that you want to merry me
For me girls taste in music is very important. And where I live no girls know anything about classic rock, rock, hard rock, metal or prog. Thats frustrating not to share you love for music with the other sex.

Im from Denmark. We have "Roskilde Festival", one of the biggest festivals in Europe. Their choice of bands a not often prog. But year after year they do choose a LOT of good up comming bands + some mega bands/artists.

The prog scene is much bigger in Norway, Sweden and Finland than it is in Denmark. Thats too bad. And its strange because many men in Denmark have a good taste in music......but our musical scene is so lame and pop.

One of the few good bands from Denmark the last couple of years is Volbeat. Good pop-metal.

Last edited by Jarvig : 02-13-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Jarvig is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:49 AM   #612
country flag fenomeno2111

fenomeno2111 has a reputation beyond reputefenomeno2111 has a reputation beyond reputefenomeno2111 has a reputation beyond reputefenomeno2111 has a reputation beyond reputefenomeno2111 has a reputation beyond reputefenomeno2111 has a reputation beyond reputefenomeno2111 has a reputation beyond reputefenomeno2111 has a reputation beyond reputefenomeno2111 has a reputation beyond reputefenomeno2111 has a reputation beyond reputefenomeno2111 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ah, one of those dreadful 'tribute bands'? - indeed.
If you think Australian Pink Floyd is dreadful...gotta do some research. Event The Machine from New York is fucking awesome
Old 02-23-2009, 02:00 AM   #613
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Its all right that you want to merry me
For me girls taste in music is very important. And where I live no girls know anything about classic rock, rock, hard rock, metal or prog. Thats frustrating not to share you love for music with the other sex.
- I guess I'm lucky to be a lady who loves prog - plenty of nice guys around who share my interest in good music!
(bwah, I've been an 'outsider' all of my life. I happen to be pretty good at maths and statistics, and play mind sports as well - haha.)

Quote:
Im from Denmark. We have "Roskilde Festival", one of the biggest festivals in Europe. Their choice of bands a not often prog. But year after year they do choose a LOT of good up comming bands + some mega bands/artists.
I know 'Roskilde' but have never been there myself, as plenty of the bands on their appearance list also show up at Graspop, Pukkelpop and/or Werchter (Belgium) as well and I usually attend one of those as it is closer to where I live. Not to mention the absolutely fantastic Hellfest (France) or Lorelei (Germany) festivals...

Quote:
The prog scene is much bigger in Norway, Sweden and Finland than it is in Denmark. Thats too bad. And its strange because many men in Denmark have a good taste in music......but our musical scene is so lame and pop.
Same thing over here in the Netherlands, alas.
BTW, you mention Sweden - a bunch of fantastic progrock bands from over there (Flower Kings, Anekdoten, Pain of Salvation, just to name a few) - is there something in the water over there???

Quote:
One of the few good bands from Denmark the last couple of years is Volbeat. Good pop-metal.
Good stuff, they get very good reviews over here. I should really check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenomeno2111 View Post
If you think Australian Pink Floyd is dreadful...gotta do some research. Event The Machine from New York is fucking awesome
It's not as much that I think that those tribute bands aren't 'good', it's rather that I'd like to see bands doing new, original stuff by themselves in stead of recycling the 'classics'...

Anathema

Old 02-24-2009, 02:11 AM   #614
Anathemaniac

* BUMP *

An All-Time Classic for you folks to enjoy:

I'd like to be as bold and say that anyone who doesn't acknowledge the majesty of that fantastic song has NO POINT in joining in on this thread.

PS: Peter Gabriel himself has reacted to my band's demo, saying he was impressed... wowee!!

Anathema

Old 02-24-2009, 07:30 AM   #615
country flag jonathancrane

jonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
* BUMP *

An All-Time Classic for you folks to enjoy:

I'd like to be as bold and say that anyone who doesn't acknowledge the majesty of that fantastic song has NO POINT in joining in on this thread.

We're all agree on that Genesis era, Karin

Quote:

PS: Peter Gabriel himself has reacted to my band's demo, saying he was impressed... wowee!!
Congratulations! Great news (5bridges, right?)
jonathancrane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote