Bonnie the Cat's, formerly know as Stupid Dream - PROG ROCK thread! - Page 40 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-06-2009, 03:30 AM   #586
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stupid Dream's PROG ROCK thread!

I've been listening avidly to a lot of new bands (for me).

Some are really awesome, some are a copy of Yes (Starcastle!!! ) and some are mediocre.

Thanks for JolanGago and Jonathancrane los boludos for introducing me to the Spanish prog bands - especially Mezquita, Triana and Atila.

So to get to the point - Il Balletto Di Bronzo is awesome, so is Maxophone, Cherry Five, Clearlight, Flame Dream, Dragonfly, Druid...
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2009, 03:32 AM   #587
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003 View Post
Hope it hasn't been posted yet.

This is two songs of the animals album segued together with a nice guitar solo.

It's actually the same song, divided in two parts.

Pigs and Dogs are the best songs in that album, though.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:05 AM   #588
country flag Fensler
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Fensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond repute

Triumvirat - "Mister Ten Percent" (A ten-minute Youtube segment of this multi-part piece is included below.)

From the band's wiki entry:

Quote:
Triumvirat was a German progressive rock trio that formed in 1969 in Cologne, Germany. The founding members were: keyboardist/composer Hans-Jürgen (later simply Jürgen) Fritz (born March 13th, 1953), drummer/lyricist Hans Bathelt, and bassist Werner Frangenberg.

Pre-Copernican beliefs in the modern world: "56% think the Sun rotates around the Earth."
---

When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.
Fensler is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:29 PM   #589
country flag Guy Haines

Guy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond repute

I can't stop listening to Roller by Goblin. Thanks Gu. I just found a hard copy of it. I have some Goblin comps but now am tempted to buy Deep Red, except it's so damn expensive. Anyway...

Maybe obvious, and kind of pop and garage, but Lucio Battisti

Last edited by Guy Haines : 02-08-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Guy Haines is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:48 PM   #590
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Haines View Post
I can't stop listening to Roller by Goblin. Thanks Gu. I just found a hard copy of it. I have some Goblin comps but now am tempted to buy Deep Red, except it's so damn expensive. Anyway...

Maybe obvious, and kind of pop and garage, but Lucio Battisti
PM me and I'll show you something very similar.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:40 AM   #591
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsFedex View Post
where's Karin? she and Gu are the heart and soul of this thread
Came out of my self-inflicted 'Hide-Away-From-TARD-Hatred'-recluse, just because I saw these recent posts over here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvig View Post
Test to see if I can use the youtube-tags.

Porcupine Tree - Even Less
Jeebus, are you for REAL??? Check my username, finally someone around over here to be able to recognize where it came from!!!

Quote:
There seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread about what prog rock is.

There are two ways to answer this. The first I would say is the most correct.

1. Prog is not a real genre. One could say that its just anti-pop.
To be progressive is not one thing. Instead it would be correct to say that there a lot parameters that can be more or less progressive. Parameters that often is involved when something is prog are
- The composition of the songs are more advanced than mainstream music
- Use of advanced time signatures
- Use of changing time signatures
- Often use of elements from other music sources (Classic, Jazz, Blues, Folk, Rock, Metal and more)
- Musicians often very skilled in playing their instrument(s)
- Lenghtier parts where only the music is in focus and not the singing
- Instrumental parts of songs are much more important than in mainstream music
- Solos are often a must
- Concept albums is most seen in this genre
- To be innovative is common here (technical, composition, style, instruments)
- To find new ways of getting from today common music to tomorows new music

Almost no bands are extremely progressive in all the above parameters. Almost all bands only use some of the above paramteres to define their personal progressive style.

2. Prog as a specific genre. When people have strong positions on what is prog and what is not they see prog as a very defined genre. That genre being the progressive scene of the late 60's and most of the 70's. Bands like Pink Floyd, Yes, King Crimson, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Van der Graaf Generator, Gentle Giant are the frontrunners of this genre.

Now a lot of people say "All modern prog is crap. The only thing that counts is the old prog. No one today can play prog. Prog is dead because it had its time in history and that has ended a long time ago".
Well that only makes sense if only look at the second definition. In that sense its true that no bands today really with meaning can play old style prog rock. But that is not only related to prog rock. That is true for ALL music. No one play like Beatles anymore. No one play like Led Zeppelin anymore. No one play like Queen anymore. No one play like Pearl Jam anymore. Hell McCartney doesn't sound like Beatles anymore. Bowie doesn't sound like Ziggy Stardust anymore. Metallica doesn't sound like Master of Puppets anymore. Oasis doesn't sound like Wanderwall any more. Even Coldplay today doesn't sound like thier first album anymore.

And that is how it should be. Music is evolving. Now mainstream music is maybe getting more and more surface and image. That is just my opinion. But away from the mainstream music every decade have brought more and more quality bands forward. Only a very few copying old masters. Most being influenced by past masters but doing it their own way.

And if one thinks of prog rock as the first definition then its nonsense to say that prog is dead. Prog have never been more alive if you look past the definition of a specific old genre. There are TONS of prog rock/metal bands that play all kinds of prog.

Now to my own taste. This is my taste. Not something that counts for all others. My music taste is defined by only one band. Pink Floyd. Though I like and love a loads and loads of other bands one could say like them despite I only like Pink Floyd. LOL. That is of cause exaggerated. But in some basic sense its true. What I like about PF is that its not too prog. There is an element of "easy to get into" in their music. One can easily listen to most of their music with just one ear and still being satisfied. But one can also listen intensly to their music and being a lot more satisfied.
I love their lyrics. I love their songs. I love their music in the songs. I love Gilmours way playing guitar.
My taste is that pop and anti-pop (prog) both have something important to say. Not every time but most of the times then prog gets stupid if its too prog and pop gets annoing when its too pop. In almost all music I like then its a combination of some pop and some prog and not too much pop and not too much prog. For me there most of the times have to be
1) Pop-elements that make the songs easy to digest, something thats easy for the ear to listen to, catchy harmonies, expected developments in the harmonic progression.
2) Prog-elements that make the songs interesting, surprising, dynamic, candy for the ears, deep, been taken on a longer journey, intense.

To my taste there are two traps that a lot of skilled bands and musicians fall into.

1. Too skilled and show that too much in their music: A lot of shredders and prog metal bands fall into that trap. Instead of developing the feeling and mood of the songs and simple just make "a whole" of the song they play overly high technical soloing.

2. Too prog and show that too much in their music: A lot of prog bands are simply too prog for me. Here its often the extreme blend of styles being played "against" each other, the overly complex compositions, taking too extreme journeys in the unknown, the complete absence of even a little poppish melody or harmony that alienets me from their music.

My personal top 10 bands over all
1. Pink Floyd
2. The Doors
3. Metallica
4. Porcupine Tree
5. Bowie
6. Queen
7. Verve
8. Guns N Roses
9. Black Sabbath
10. Led Zeppelin

My personal top 10 prog (or proggish) bands
1. Pink Floyd
2. Porcupine Tree
3. King Crimson
4. Riverside
5. Antimatter
6. Anathema
7. Dream Theater
8. Opeth
9. Radiohead
10. Queensryche

My top 25 prog albums:
1. Dark Side of the Moon (Pink Floyd)
2. Animals (Pink Floyd)
3. Live at Pompei (Pink Floyd)
4. In Absentia (Porcupine Tree)
5. Stupid Dream (Porcupine Tree)
6. Wish You were here (Pink Floyd)
7. Leaving Eden (Antimatter)
8. In Cout of the Crimson King (King Crimson)
9. Judgment (Anathema)
10. Rapid Eye Movement (Riverside)
11. Out of Myself (Riverside)
12. Damnation (Opeth)
13. Meddle (Pink Floyd)
14. Images and Words (Dream Theater)
15. Signify (Porcupine Tree)
16. Operation Mindcrime (Queensryche)
17. OK Computer (Radiohead)
18. The Dark Third (Pure Reason Revolution)
19, The Wall (Pink Floyd)
20. Sounds that I hear (Airbag)
21. Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness (Coheed and Cambria)
22. Fear of the Black Planet (Porcupine Tree)
23. Alternative 4 (Anathema)
24. Into the Electric Castle (Ayreon)
25. Obscured by Clouds (Pink Floyd)

Below is some vids that is either good prog or god songs with proggy element:

Pink Floyd - Animals (only part 1)
From one of PFs best albums. A full out battle between genial Water lyrics and Gilmour fantastic guitar playing

King Crimson - Epitahp
Classic super prog

King Crimson - 21st Century Schizoid Man
Jazzy hard rock.

Porcupine Tree - Don't Hate Me
Beautiful.

Antimatter - Redemption
Very Live (band) alike in the beginning and then it gets more prog and with super guitar solo.

Anathema - Lost Control
Ambient prof from Anathema

Led Zeppelin - No Quarter (only part 1)
Off cause not real prog. But super classic 70 rock with so much music quality that its easily prog after all.

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
Best song of my favorite band. Best guitar solo in the world. The solo on PULSE is maybe more "perfect" than this one. But the solo on Delicate Sound of Thunder is more aggresive, angry and painfull. For me the DSOT is the best version of the best guitar solo in the world.

Dream Theater - Pull Me Under
The biggest prog metal band in the world. Hate Labries voice. But the rest of the band is just fantastic. And Petrucci is in any thinkable way one of the best guitarists ever.

Riverside - Reality Dreams II
Polish super band. Pink Floyd meets Porcupine Tree meets Dream Theater meets Tool. Cant wait for their new album.

Riverside - The Curtain Falls
Very Pink Floyd like song from Riverside. Great.

Rainbow - Catch the Rainbow
Same comment as with Led Zeppelin.

Opeth - Windowpane
Opeth playing prog and not death metal. Super song from one of my favorite albums of them.

Erik Norlander - Sky Full of Stars
Electronic, ambient prog. Great solo in the middle of the song....almost gilmourish.

Pineapple Thief - All I Need To Know
Not the most proggy of Pineapple Thiefs songs. But there are not that many songs of them on youtube. Good pop-rock-prog. Good simple solo in the middle.

Airbag - Prelude
Started out as a Pink Floyd cover band. But they have started to make their own music.

Porcupine Tree - Lazerus
Off cause not the most proggy song from Porcupine Tree. But who cares? Super pop-prog. Can never get enough of this song.

David Gilmour - Shine on You Crazy Diamond
From hos solo tour two years ago. Some changes from the Pink Floyd versions. But all the small changes are all great. Magic guitar as always when Gilmour is playing.

Metallica - To Live is to Die
Though pure heavy metal no one can deny the advanced composition and big format of this fist in the face.

That must be that for now.
Jarvig, Will YOU MARRY ME??? You just mentioned ALL OF MY BELOVED BANDS!!!

It took quite a bit to enforce me out of my self-inflicted dungeon lately, but WOW mate, you managed!!!

That's about a list of ALL of my favs, and I happen to cherish anyone who acknowledges the lovely Anathema and Porcupine Tree as the FANTASTIC current ProgRock acts that they indeed are!!!

Just WHO ARE YOU, matey? Don't we know each other?
I've witnessed some 30+ concerts of the Afore Mentioned, I bet you were there, too?

You even mention Antimatter - where you there, at the Little Devil in Tilburg in December 2008???
I was, and it was a LOVELY concert indeed... Duncan Patterson and Mick Moss
- I Bow To Thee!!!!

Please tell me who you are!

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 02-10-2009 at 12:45 AM.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:31 AM   #592
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Deep inside the silence,
staring out upon the sea -
the waves are washing over,
half-forgotten memory.

Deep within the moment
laughter floats upon the breeze -

rising and falling, dying down, within me...

And I swear I never knew, I never knew how it could be!

and all this time all I had inside was what I couldn't see -
I swear, I never knew, I never knew how it could be -
all the waves are washing over, all that hurts inside of me!

Beyond this beautiful horizon
lies a dream for you and I
this tranquil scene is
still unbroken by the
rumours in the sky -

but there's a storm
closing in
voices crying on the wind
the serenade is growing
colder breaks my soul
that tries to sing -

and there's so many many thoughts,
when I try to go to sleep -
but with you I start to feel
a sort of Temporary Peace

there's a drift in and out -

Anathema, aka Danny Cavanagh!!!

Anathema

Old 02-10-2009, 03:28 AM   #593
Anathemaniac

I'll be attending the release party of Anneke van Giersbergen's upcoming CD coming Thursday, featuring something like well... everyone! - at Amsterdam's Mily Way-venue. Here's the trailer to her upcoming new album, Pure Air, which happens to be a cover of Damien Rice's The Blower's Daughter :

She's my country's BEST SINGER!

Oh, wait... guess who (among others) contributed to that new album? No-one else than Anathema's lovely Daniel Cavanagh!

What a surprise, as iI was an attendant at their lovely concert in Tilburg's Little Devil-venue only a year ago, where I taped this myself...:

"And so it is... no love, no glory..." ~sigh~ HOW LOVELY!

Anathema

Old 02-10-2009, 04:39 AM   #594
Anathemaniac

EDIT: I realized uplouding any a cover version of King Crimson's "Epitaph" is indeed BLASPHEMY. So I removed it, however well the song happened to be carried out....

Well how about something NOONE over here has ever heard before?
Here's 5BridgeS - "On Calpe's Rock'"

PS, review of 5BridgeS's debut CD presentation can be found over here!

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 02-10-2009 at 05:08 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #595
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Quote:
There seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread about what prog rock is.

There are two ways to answer this. The first I would say is the most correct.

1. Prog is not a real genre. One could say that its just anti-pop.
To be progressive is not one thing. Instead it would be correct to say that there a lot parameters that can be more or less progressive. Parameters that often is involved when something is prog are
- The composition of the songs are more advanced than mainstream music
- Use of advanced time signatures
- Use of changing time signatures
- Often use of elements from other music sources (Classic, Jazz, Blues, Folk, Rock, Metal and more)
- Musicians often very skilled in playing their instrument(s)
- Lenghtier parts where only the music is in focus and not the singing
- Instrumental parts of songs are much more important than in mainstream music
- Solos are often a must
- Concept albums is most seen in this genre
- To be innovative is common here (technical, composition, style, instruments)
- To find new ways of getting from today common music to tomorows new music

Almost no bands are extremely progressive in all the above parameters. Almost all bands only use some of the above paramteres to define their personal progressive style.

2. Prog as a specific genre. When people have strong positions on what is prog and what is not they see prog as a very defined genre. That genre being the progressive scene of the late 60's and most of the 70's. Bands like Pink Floyd, Yes, King Crimson, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Van der Graaf Generator, Gentle Giant are the frontrunners of this genre.

Now a lot of people say "All modern prog is crap. The only thing that counts is the old prog. No one today can play prog. Prog is dead because it had its time in history and that has ended a long time ago".
Well that only makes sense if only look at the second definition. In that sense its true that no bands today really with meaning can play old style prog rock. But that is not only related to prog rock. That is true for ALL music. No one play like Beatles anymore. No one play like Led Zeppelin anymore. No one play like Queen anymore. No one play like Pearl Jam anymore. Hell McCartney doesn't sound like Beatles anymore. Bowie doesn't sound like Ziggy Stardust anymore. Metallica doesn't sound like Master of Puppets anymore. Oasis doesn't sound like Wanderwall any more. Even Coldplay today doesn't sound like thier first album anymore.

And that is how it should be. Music is evolving. Now mainstream music is maybe getting more and more surface and image. That is just my opinion. But away from the mainstream music every decade have brought more and more quality bands forward. Only a very few copying old masters. Most being influenced by past masters but doing it their own way.

And if one thinks of prog rock as the first definition then its nonsense to say that prog is dead. Prog have never been more alive if you look past the definition of a specific old genre. There are TONS of prog rock/metal bands that play all kinds of prog.

Now to my own taste. This is my taste. Not something that counts for all others. My music taste is defined by only one band. Pink Floyd. Though I like and love a loads and loads of other bands one could say like them despite I only like Pink Floyd. LOL. That is of cause exaggerated. But in some basic sense its true. What I like about PF is that its not too prog. There is an element of "easy to get into" in their music. One can easily listen to most of their music with just one ear and still being satisfied. But one can also listen intensly to their music and being a lot more satisfied.
I love their lyrics. I love their songs. I love their music in the songs. I love Gilmours way playing guitar.
My taste is that pop and anti-pop (prog) both have something important to say. Not every time but most of the times then prog gets stupid if its too prog and pop gets annoing when its too pop. In almost all music I like then its a combination of some pop and some prog and not too much pop and not too much prog. For me there most of the times have to be
1) Pop-elements that make the songs easy to digest, something thats easy for the ear to listen to, catchy harmonies, expected developments in the harmonic progression.
2) Prog-elements that make the songs interesting, surprising, dynamic, candy for the ears, deep, been taken on a longer journey, intense.

To my taste there are two traps that a lot of skilled bands and musicians fall into.

1. Too skilled and show that too much in their music: A lot of shredders and prog metal bands fall into that trap. Instead of developing the feeling and mood of the songs and simple just make "a whole" of the song they play overly high technical soloing.

2. Too prog and show that too much in their music: A lot of prog bands are simply too prog for me. Here its often the extreme blend of styles being played "against" each other, the overly complex compositions, taking too extreme journeys in the unknown, the complete absence of even a little poppish melody or harmony that alienets me from their music.

My personal top 10 bands over all
1. Pink Floyd
2. The Doors
3. Metallica
4. Porcupine Tree
5. Bowie
6. Queen
7. Verve
8. Guns N Roses
9. Black Sabbath
10. Led Zeppelin

My personal top 10 prog (or proggish) bands
1. Pink Floyd
2. Porcupine Tree
3. King Crimson
4. Riverside
5. Antimatter
6. Anathema
7. Dream Theater
8. Opeth
9. Radiohead
10. Queensryche

My top 25 prog albums:
1. Dark Side of the Moon (Pink Floyd)
2. Animals (Pink Floyd)
3. Live at Pompei (Pink Floyd)
4. In Absentia (Porcupine Tree)
5. Stupid Dream (Porcupine Tree)
6. Wish You were here (Pink Floyd)
7. Leaving Eden (Antimatter)
8. In Cout of the Crimson King (King Crimson)
9. Judgment (Anathema)
10. Rapid Eye Movement (Riverside)
11. Out of Myself (Riverside)
12. Damnation (Opeth)
13. Meddle (Pink Floyd)
14. Images and Words (Dream Theater)
15. Signify (Porcupine Tree)
16. Operation Mindcrime (Queensryche)
17. OK Computer (Radiohead)
18. The Dark Third (Pure Reason Revolution)
19, The Wall (Pink Floyd)
20. Sounds that I hear (Airbag)
21. Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness (Coheed and Cambria)
22. Fear of the Black Planet (Porcupine Tree)
23. Alternative 4 (Anathema)
24. Into the Electric Castle (Ayreon)
25. Obscured by Clouds (Pink Floyd)

That must be that for now.
No idea how I missed this post. I love to get argumentative.

I think you kinda miss the point on what's progressive rock. Indeed the term progressive when applied to music has the sense of "avant garde", and your first definition is of avant garde in music in general. That said, then comes progressive in rock. Progressive rock was a movement with the intent of giving artistic credibility to rock and roll, considered a plebeian music until the end of the 60s. Who started that movement is also disputed, but who developed it into its full-fledged form isn't: the most influential bands of the progressive movement are Genesis, Yes, Emerson Lake and Palmer, King Crimson and, in a lesser note, Pink Floyd. I'm not saying Pink Floyd wasn't important or significative in progressive rock, but, where the development of the movement is concerned, it was of lesser importance. The four bands mentioned were always progressive. Pink Floyd became progressive, and mind the word became - it's of the utmost importance in this argument. Pink Floyd is basically a psychedelic band that experimented a bit more than others of the same genre. Au contraire, since the start, bands like ELP, Genesis, Yes and KC were progressive.

Another thing you seem to forget is that in the definition of progressive rock, great musicianship is a requirement, not an addition. There is a reason Genesis, Yes, ELP and KC are the biggest bands of progressive rock in history - they have the best musicians, especially ELP and Yes. Who else can pull the complicated time changes and mood changes, as you say? Another characteristic of progressive rock is that no concessions for popularity should be made. People may like PR for what it is, but PR should never change to please the common listener, the radio listener. No surprise PF is the most known progressive band - it's also one of the most popular.

Enfin, progressive rock is a genre and it belongs to the 70s - the decade of pomp and extravagance, as progressive rock is. You must understand that what you mean by "progressive rock in our times" is actually neo-progressive, a new genre that consists basically of the same principles of avant garde music Yes, Genesis, ELP and KC based their sound on in the 70s, but now applied to our times. Some may like it or not - I don't like it at all - especially bands that can't decide if they really wanna pay tribute to the 70s or to the new age trends of the 80s.

To add, progressive metal ain't progressive rock for two reasons. First,i t's metal with keyboards and time changes, and as it lacks, for the most part, subtlety, it can't be encompassed within the boundaries of progressive rock. Second, especially, to be progressive, you have to move forward, experiment, and push the boundaries. Progressive metal is just the same riff-based thing metal has always been with better musicianship. Sorry, this isn't progressive per se - it's just showmanship. There's a difference between Yes and a band like Mr. Big - Yes actually moves somewhere, is intelligent and sophisticated, while the other band is just instrument masturbation and speed competition. There is more musicianship in Keith Emerson's little finger than in the body of those guys who play progressive metal and think they look good using the same scales and runs Jon Lord used in 1968 (in higher speed, of course).

And your list of prog albums is faulty. I suggest you should get to know more bands.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #596
country flag Jarvig

Jarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
No idea how I missed this post. I love to get argumentative.

I think you kinda miss the point on what's progressive rock. Indeed the term progressive when applied to music has the sense of "avant garde", and your first definition is of avant garde in music in general. That said, then comes progressive in rock. Progressive rock was a movement with the intent of giving artistic credibility to rock and roll, considered a plebeian music until the end of the 60s. Who started that movement is also disputed, but who developed it into its full-fledged form isn't: the most influential bands of the progressive movement are Genesis, Yes, Emerson Lake and Palmer, King Crimson and, in a lesser note, Pink Floyd. I'm not saying Pink Floyd wasn't important or significative in progressive rock, but, where the development of the movement is concerned, it was of lesser importance. The four bands mentioned were always progressive. Pink Floyd became progressive, and mind the word became - it's of the utmost importance in this argument. Pink Floyd is basically a psychedelic band that experimented a bit more than others of the same genre. Au contraire, since the start, bands like ELP, Genesis, Yes and KC were progressive.

Another thing you seem to forget is that in the definition of progressive rock, great musicianship is a requirement, not an addition. There is a reason Genesis, Yes, ELP and KC are the biggest bands of progressive rock in history - they have the best musicians, especially ELP and Yes. Who else can pull the complicated time changes and mood changes, as you say? Another characteristic of progressive rock is that no concessions for popularity should be made. People may like PR for what it is, but PR should never change to please the common listener, the radio listener. No surprise PF is the most known progressive band - it's also one of the most popular.

Enfin, progressive rock is a genre and it belongs to the 70s - the decade of pomp and extravagance, as progressive rock is. You must understand that what you mean by "progressive rock in our times" is actually neo-progressive, a new genre that consists basically of the same principles of avant garde music Yes, Genesis, ELP and KC based their sound on in the 70s, but now applied to our times. Some may like it or not - I don't like it at all - especially bands that can't decide if they really wanna pay tribute to the 70s or to the new age trends of the 80s.

To add, progressive metal ain't progressive rock for two reasons. First,i t's metal with keyboards and time changes, and as it lacks, for the most part, subtlety, it can't be encompassed within the boundaries of progressive rock. Second, especially, to be progressive, you have to move forward, experiment, and push the boundaries. Progressive metal is just the same riff-based thing metal has always been with better musicianship. Sorry, this isn't progressive per se - it's just showmanship. There's a difference between Yes and a band like Mr. Big - Yes actually moves somewhere, is intelligent and sophisticated, while the other band is just instrument masturbation and speed competition. There is more musicianship in Keith Emerson's little finger than in the body of those guys who play progressive metal and think they look good using the same scales and runs Jon Lord used in 1968 (in higher speed, of course).

And your list of prog albums is faulty. I suggest you should get to know more bands.
I dont think the member who started this thread only thought of prog rock as "prog rock of the late 60s and early 70s". But maybe Im wrong. If one take a narrow point of view and do not accept any other kind of prog rock than that of "prog rock of the late 60s and early 70s" then its true that there are almost none true prog rock bands out there anymore.

About my prog album list: You miss a thing. That is MY favorite prog albums. Not yours. Not an objective list. Only MY list. What I love to listen to when its prog rock I listen to.
Jarvig is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #597
country flag Jarvig

Jarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond reputeJarvig has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Dream View Post

Came out of my self-inflicted 'Hide-Away-From-TARD-Hatred'-recluse, just because I saw these recent posts over here!

Jeebus, are you for REAL??? Check my username, finally someone around over here to be able to recognize where it came from!!!

Jarvig, Will YOU MARRY ME??? You just mentioned ALL OF MY BELOVED BANDS!!!

It took quite a bit to enforce me out of my self-inflicted dungeon lately, but WOW mate, you managed!!!

That's about a list of ALL of my favs, and I happen to cherish anyone who acknowledges the lovely Anathema and Porcupine Tree as the FANTASTIC current ProgRock acts that they indeed are!!!

Just WHO ARE YOU, matey? Don't we know each other?
I've witnessed some 30+ concerts of the Afore Mentioned, I bet you were there, too?

You even mention Antimatter - where you there, at the Little Devil in Tilburg in December 2008???
I was, and it was a LOVELY concert indeed... Duncan Patterson and Mick Moss
- I Bow To Thee!!!!

Please tell me who you are!
Im just a lover of music. Lost track of the music world in the mid 90s. Not before youtube and threads in all kinds of forums because of that I once again hooked in. Because of intense search on the internet (in relevant forums) I have the last two years discovered a LOT of interesting new bands I never heard of before.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:42 PM   #598
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Quote:
I dont think the member who started this thread only thought of prog rock as "prog rock of the late 60s and early 70s". But maybe Im wrong. If one take a narrow point of view and do not accept any other kind of prog rock than that of "prog rock of the late 60s and early 70s" then its true that there are almost none true prog rock bands out there anymore.

About my prog album list: You miss a thing. That is MY favorite prog albums. Not yours. Not an objective list. Only MY list. What I love to listen to when its prog rock I listen to.
Then don't call it a list of prog albums, because they're not.

And it's not because Karin started the thread that she's now a judge on what opinion matters or not.

Basically you must be the only person in the world who think of progressive rock not as a genre.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:37 AM   #599
country flag Jarvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
Then don't call it a list of prog albums, because they're not.

And it's not because Karin started the thread that she's now a judge on what opinion matters or not.

Basically you must be the only person in the world who think of progressive rock not as a genre.
Take a look at maybe the best prog rock site - http://www.progarchives.com

The prog rock you se as the only genre is only a sub-genre on that site. And every album I've listed and linked to is actually listed on that site.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:17 PM   #600
country flag jonathancrane

jonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond repute

Karin
Glad to see you active again
jonathancrane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote