Bonnie the Cat's, formerly know as Stupid Dream - PROG ROCK thread! - Page 37 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-02-2008, 11:10 PM   #541
country flag GhostUnholy

GhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stupid Dream's PROG ROCK thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
That's because they can't understand progressive rock had its moment in time and that moment has passed. They wanna imitate the classic bands, which played like 30 years ago. That's why it's crap.
The best contemporary progressive music sounds nothing like 70s prog. Like Unexpect. :P
A lot of post rock I think should be considered prog. Albums like "All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone" from Explosions in the Sky for example. Theres a killer live video of a song off it "The Birth and Death of the Day" on youtube if you want to check it out
GhostUnholy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2008, 11:11 PM   #542
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Progressive music is different than progressive rock.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:25 PM   #543
country flag ryan23

ryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Alternative rock is another one people get mixed up

Big Star/Alex Chilton R.I.P

The Stone Roses

Guns N' Roses
ryan23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:27 PM   #544
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

The only progressive music still of interest is jazz, a style that's always in the avant garde.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:56 PM   #545
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostUnholy View Post
Well no one calls opeth prog rock, they're progressive death metal. And how do they sound like a rehash of older bands? When I listen through Blackwater Park I'm definitely not sitting there thinking of the 70s. Ayreon I don't get the hype about, I hate both albums to be honest, ESPECIALLY the human equation, how pretentious can you get?
Question 1: Tell THAT to the people over here: http://www.progarchives.com

Question 2: Different things for different folks, mate. As for Arjen Lucassen being pretentious: if you listen to the texts on THE carefully, you might actually discover that he's being rather sarcastic on many occasions. He calls it an OPERA for a good reason. Mozart's Cosi Fan Tutte is sarcastic as well, but I have found out that quite a lot of people don't get that, either.

Quote:
As to the countries thing... You must not have gone in depth with most genres.
Well, eh... have been following the genre for over 25 years... and there's still so much stuff I don't even know about!

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:15 AM   #546
country flag GhostUnholy

GhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I must have not read the discussion carefully.

Quote:
The only progressive music still of interest is jazz, a style that's always in the avant garde.
How open minded of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Dream View Post
Question 1: Tell THAT to the people over here: http://www.progarchives.com

Question 2: Different things for different folks, mate. As for Arjen Lucassen being pretentious: if you listen to the texts on THE carefully, you might actually discover that he's being rather sarcastic on many occasions. He calls it an OPERA for a good reason. Mozart's Cosi Fan Tutte is sarcastic as well, but I have found out that quite a lot of people don't get that, either.

Well, eh... have been following the genre for over 25 years... and there's still so much stuff I don't even know about!
a) trying to pass opeth off as a rock band of any sort is so wrong on so many levels that any discussion on the topic could only lead to . unless you were to just throw all metal in as an offshoot of rock, or if you said damnation was representative of opeth and all their other albums don't count. maybe I'll go to progarchives and fight with them a bit.

b) i'll give it another spin but I can't remember liking anything about the human equation. It was one of those albums that I couldn't connect with at all.

c) with the depth remark I was referring to ryans talk about "crappy synthesizer music" from europe
Old 12-03-2008, 03:18 AM   #547
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

You gotta be joking me if you think that Explosions in the blah blah blah is progressive rock.

I'm not close minded. I like many things in different styles, I just don't like seeing things being called different things. Takes them entirely out of context.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:23 AM   #548
country flag GhostUnholy

Quote:
You gotta be joking me if you think that Explosions in the blah blah blah is progressive rock.

I'm not close minded. I like many things in different styles, I just don't like seeing things being called different things. Takes them entirely out of context.
I'm not joking, you apparently didn't read what I said. I said progressive music and then apologized for not talking about progressive rock only.

Saying jazz is the only progressive music still of interest isn't close minded? There aren't healthy avante garde areas of many other genres?
Old 12-03-2008, 03:25 AM   #549
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

There are, but they're not relevant.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:31 AM   #550
country flag GhostUnholy

Quote:
There are, but they're not relevant.
To you.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:33 AM   #551
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Not relevant to the music world.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:39 AM   #552
country flag GhostUnholy

Quote:
Not relevant to the music world.
Do you mean to a) musicians or b) the industry c) the population at large that listens to music
Because if "b" or "c"", very little good music ever has been
Old 12-03-2008, 03:48 AM   #553
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Musicians, like myself.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:50 AM   #554
country flag GhostUnholy

Quote:
Musicians, like myself.
So do you just have a very close minded view of which musicians count and which ones don't?
I'm very involved my local music scene, and I can certainly speak for most of the musicians I deal with that modern progressive music outside of jazz is still very much relevant to me and my peers.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:03 AM   #555
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostUnholy View Post
So do you just have a very close minded view of which musicians count and which ones don't?
I'm very involved my local music scene, and I can certainly speak for most of the musicians I deal with that modern progressive music outside of jazz is still very much relevant to me and my peers.
Musicians high above you and I are the ones who count.