Bonnie the Cat's, formerly know as Stupid Dream - PROG ROCK thread! - Page 36 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-02-2008, 04:33 AM   #526
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stupid Dream's PROG ROCK thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan23 View Post
I knew i would get shit for this lol

Ive listened to a hell of a lot and most of it is either just a crappier version of the 70's stuff made up to date or just not prog rock even though they call it prog rock, its just my taste i guess
Call the Names I'd say, dear.
I think you missed the point to be honest. Tell me, are you part of the Rafa/Djoko-tard brigade, eh?
EDIT: just kidding, there.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2008, 04:42 AM   #527
country flag ryan23

ryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond repute

Well they call these bands prog rock, when i say we i mean the Media, and all the bands i will name now i have heard and are complete bollox, maybe its because i'm English and a lot of these bands are Swedish and are european countires and ive always felt the best music comes out of America and the UK and i just dont understand or get the european scene,i hate all the keyboard/synthesizer music that is all over the rest of europe anyway will name em

Opeth,Ayreon,Dream Theater,Sylvan,Oceansize there is more but thatwill do for now- you may not feel they are all prog but they are lavelled as that

Big Star/Alex Chilton R.I.P

The Stone Roses

Guns N' Roses
ryan23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:43 AM   #528
country flag ryan23

ryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond repute

I feel its really hard in todays music to know the difference between prog rock and Alternative rock

The Stone Roses

Guns N' Roses
Old 12-02-2008, 04:45 AM   #529
country flag ryan23

1 band a friend tells me i may like is a band called Gazpacho, will have to check them out

The Stone Roses

Guns N' Roses
Old 12-02-2008, 04:55 AM   #530
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well they call these bands prog rock, when i say we i mean the Media, and all the bands i will name now i have heard and are complete bollox, maybe its because i'm English and a lot of these bands are Swedish and are european countires and ive always felt the best music comes out of America and the UK and i just dont understand or get the european scene,i hate all the keyboard/synthesizer music that is all over the rest of europe anyway will name em

Opeth,Ayreon,Dream Theater,Sylvan,Oceansize there is more but thatwill do for now- you may not feel they are all prog but they are lavelled as that
Hey mate - just to let you know - the leading current Proggies are English - here you have 'em - Porcupine Tree, Blackfield, Anathema, Pure Reason Revolution, Oceansize et al.

Not to mention the Swedish Bunch - Anekdoten, Opeth, The Flower Kings, Pain of Salvation, Paatos - et al.

Have you EVER witnessed a live gig of either of these bands, I dare ask?

EDIT: a few more: Riverside (Poland), Demians (France), Lazuli (France), Nemo (France) -

Do I need to continue, eh?

I didn't even mention the Americans, yet. Yes, THEY are there as well!

Just check out either of these fellows. I'm sure you'd be very positively surprised!

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 12-02-2008 at 05:21 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:08 AM   #531
country flag Fensler
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Fensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Dream View Post
One of my most BELOVED ever:

RUSH!!! - Subdivisions...

What a song!!!
Solid performance of a classic tune. Subdivisions is definitely one of Rush's foremost pieces of lyrical poetry. In that regard, the social commentary of this song has become more meaningful to me through retrospection, both by looking back at my own experiences and understanding what some of my peers dealt with.

From a literal standpoint: during noctural plane flights, I'm sometimes reminded of Subdivisions when I look down and see the many brightly lit metropolitan areas contrasting with the darkly shrouded forests, lakes, and prairies that exist out beyond the "subdivisions."

Sprawling on the fringes of the city
In geometric order
An insulated border
In between the bright lights
And the far unlit unknown

Growing up it all seems so one-sided
Opinions all provided
The future pre-decided
Detached and subdivided
In the mass production zone

Nowhere is the dreamer
Or the misfit so alone

Subdivisions -
In the high school halls
In the shopping malls
Conform or be cast out
Subdivisions -
In the basement bars
In the backs of cars
Be cool or be cast out
Any escape might help disprove
The unattractive truth
But the suburbs have no charms to soothe
The restless dreams of youth

Drawn like moths we drift into the city
The timeless old attraction
Cruising for the action
Lit up like a firefly
Just to feel the living night

Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight

Somewhere out of a memory
Of lighted streets on quiet nights...

Pre-Copernican beliefs in the modern world: "56% think the Sun rotates around the Earth."
---

When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.
Fensler is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:43 AM   #532
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fensler View Post
Solid performance of a classic tune. Subdivisions is definitely one of Rush's foremost pieces of lyrical poetry.
etc.

Anathema

Old 12-02-2008, 06:20 AM   #533
Anathemaniac

How at the train tracks -
I dream of escape!
But a song comes onto my iPod,
And I realize it's getting late...

I can't take the staring,
And the sympathy -
And I don't like the questions:
"How do you feel? How's it going in school? Do you wanna talk about it..."

Way out, way out of here!
Fade out, fade out, vanish!

I'll try to forget you -
And I know that I will!
In a thousand years,
Or maybe a week.

I'll burn all your pictures
Cut out your face
And the shutters are down
And the curtains are closed
And I've covered my tracks -
Disposed of the car -

And I'll try to forget,
Even your name
And the way that you look -
When you're sleeping, and dreaming of this...

Way out, way out of here
Fade out, fade out, vanish....

Fantastic vid, Mr. S.W. - I adore you!!!

Anathema

Old 12-02-2008, 06:33 AM   #534
Anathemaniac

Okay, I have to get out of here right now... but here's Opeth's LOVELY "Burden"...

"... If Death should take me now -
Count my mistakes and let me through!
Whisper in my ear,
You've taken more than we've received
And the ocean of sorrow is you..."

Yeah, a bloddy Death Metal-band this is.
or not?

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 12-02-2008 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:32 PM   #535
country flag ryan23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Dream View Post
Hey mate - just to let you know - the leading current Proggies are English - here you have 'em - Porcupine Tree, Blackfield, Anathema, Pure Reason Revolution, Oceansize et al.

Not to mention the Swedish Bunch - Anekdoten, Opeth, The Flower Kings, Pain of Salvation, Paatos - et al.

Have you EVER witnessed a live gig of either of these bands, I dare ask?

EDIT: a few more: Riverside (Poland), Demians (France), Lazuli (France), Nemo (France) -

Do I need to continue, eh?

I didn't even mention the Americans, yet. Yes, THEY are there as well!

Just check out either of these fellows. I'm sure you'd be very positively surprised!
I have witnessed a lot of prog groups through my work and none of them are as good as the classic prog rock groups,l theres something missing i dont know if its the songs or their attitude but its just not as good, but thats just my opinion

The Stone Roses

Guns N' Roses
Old 12-02-2008, 09:18 PM   #536
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

That's because they can't understand progressive rock had its moment in time and that moment has passed. They wanna imitate the classic bands, which played like 30 years ago. That's why it's crap.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:56 PM   #537
country flag scarecrows
Ace Loveforty

scarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, there are some genres that had their period and cant be repeated. Like new wave and post punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRafaFan View Post
That will be the last victory of Rafa for quite some time.. With his joke mentality and pathetic game, I hope the disgusting player loses every single match next season. He's disgraceful. He should just retire. He's a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
(10) Corey Feldman vs. (12) scarecrows
scarecrows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:04 PM   #538
country flag GhostUnholy

GhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Well no one calls opeth prog rock, they're progressive death metal. And how do they sound like a rehash of older bands? When I listen through Blackwater Park I'm definitely not sitting there thinking of the 70s. Ayreon I don't get the hype about, I hate both albums to be honest, ESPECIALLY the human equation, how pretentious can you get?

As to the countries thing... You must not have gone in depth with most genres.
GhostUnholy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:06 PM   #539
country flag ryan23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
That's because they can't understand progressive rock had its moment in time and that moment has passed. They wanna imitate the classic bands, which played like 30 years ago. That's why it's crap.
Thats exactly how i feel to

The Stone Roses

Guns N' Roses
Old 12-02-2008, 11:08 PM   #540
country flag ryan23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostUnholy View Post
Well no one calls opeth prog rock, they're progressive death metal. And how do they sound like a rehash of older bands? When I listen through Blackwater Park I'm definitely not sitting there thinking of the 70s. Ayreon I don't get the hype about, I hate both albums to be honest, ESPECIALLY the human equation, how pretentious can you get?

As to the countries thing... You must not have gone in depth with most genres.
Certain countries are crap at certain types of music a bit like England are crap at cricket when the likes of India and Australia are around- its just a fact... You aint gonna get a great rock band out of Pakistan are you so they shouldnt even bother these countries, and they should also sing in their own language, i dont wanna go on holiday to Paris and hear English/American bands i wanna hear French music, if i wanted English i may aswell be in a pub in London...

The Stone Roses

Guns N' Roses