Bonnie the Cat's, formerly know as Stupid Dream - PROG ROCK thread! - Page 140 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-17-2011, 03:50 AM   #2086
country flag Ukyo

Ukyo has a reputation beyond reputeUkyo has a reputation beyond reputeUkyo has a reputation beyond reputeUkyo has a reputation beyond reputeUkyo has a reputation beyond reputeUkyo has a reputation beyond reputeUkyo has a reputation beyond reputeUkyo has a reputation beyond reputeUkyo has a reputation beyond reputeUkyo has a reputation beyond reputeUkyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bonnie the Cat's, formerly know as Stupid Dream - PROG ROCK thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie the Cat View Post
I like a lot of progmetal - but not all of it.
Some of these musicians take the showing-off of their technique - which usually is indeed fabulous - a bit too far for my tastes. I well remember a concert of the Dutch band Textures, where I got the feeling I was experiencing some kind of sound-maths rather than 'music'.
In other words, lots of technique but hey, were's the emotion?

The actual question is how to define 'progressive metal' in the first place. There's a great variety in music that all falls under this definition if we're to believe the usual experts on sites and in mags, but the trademark-progmetal band must be Dream Theater imho. And yes, I do like them - well, the four musicians, I can't stand their singer! I also like Symphony X a lot, but that's mostely because they have a truly amazing singer (Russell Allen) who's also a very nice guy (). Threshold, with Damian Wilson - very nice too. (you might notice that the quality of singers is very important to me...)
I've noticed that some 'experts' also think that bands like Riverside are progmetal, which I think is a mistake - that band is much too atmospheric and melodic for that label. Opeth? Hmmm, yeah they are very heavy, but I don't put them under the label of progmetal either - I'd call them 'symphonic death metal', if that makes any sense.

Do post some of your favourite progmetal over here, Yves!
Textures named their band after Cynic's song, which is a bit indicative. ;]

I enjoy both prog rock and prog metal, and not all of either as well.

Hello to everyone with cool music taste in here. (=

Nalbandian, Baggy, funkY flO.
Ukyo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2011, 03:54 AM   #2087
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukyo View Post
Textures named their band after Cynic's song, which is a bit indicative. ;]

I enjoy both prog rock and prog metal, and not all of either as well.

Hello to everyone with cool music taste in here. (=
Very welcome around, Ukyo!

What's your fancy? Classic progrock or progmetal (I guess the latter, seeing your references towards Textures and Cynic!), or both?
All's welcome around over here!

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:06 AM   #2088
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

I'm one of the very few, but I can't help but think Dream Theater's FIRST album, yep, that one with Charlie Dominici on the vocals, was their very best.
I just can't stand James LaBrie...
Sorry about that.

a slight proof of that:

"Heartsick at the sight of a Status Seeker..."

A live version:

Would be fantastic if it weren't for LaBrie's ATROCIOUS vocals.

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 05-17-2011 at 05:02 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:12 AM   #2089
country flag Ukyo

Ukyo has a reputation beyond reputeUkyo has a reputation beyond reputeUkyo has a reputation beyond reputeUkyo has a reputation beyond reputeUkyo has a reputation beyond reputeUkyo has a reputation beyond reputeUkyo has a reputation beyond reputeUkyo has a reputation beyond reputeUkyo has a reputation beyond reputeUkyo has a reputation beyond reputeUkyo has a reputation beyond repute

Funny enough, can't stand La Brie either. I actually avoid DT because of the vocals.

I'm an avid Tool and Porcupine Tree fan, but I enjoy quite a few other bands.

When it comes to prog metal, I like a bunch of bands but Tool and PT prevail greatly.

I'll read some of your reviews soon, see how you perceive the music that i listen to as well. ;]

Nalbandian, Baggy, funkY flO.
Ukyo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:27 AM   #2090
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukyo View Post
Funny enough, can't stand La Brie either. I actually avoid DT because of the vocals.

I'm an avid Tool and Porcupine Tree fan, but I enjoy quite a few other bands.

When it comes to prog metal, I like a bunch of bands but Tool and PT prevail greatly.

I'll read some of your reviews soon, see how you perceive the music that i listen to as well. ;]
WOW! well we seem to agree a lot of current progressive rock!

Hope you enjoy reading my reviews - most of the live concert reviews are posted on my blog (see my siggie), most of my album reviews are to be found at http://www.progarchives.com, just search on my username over there: Antennas.

Anathema

Old 05-17-2011, 05:44 AM   #2091
Anathemaniac

Porcupine Tree's FANTASTIC "Sleep Together" - live.

This Lucky Bum was THERE in Tilburg, on both evenings, saw every note recorded to what would become their beautiful "Anaesthetize" DVD. OMG OMG OMG!!!

Anathema

Old 05-22-2011, 10:31 PM   #2092
Anathemaniac

Great (amateure) Vid to a Great Song by one of the Greatest ProgRock bands ever - here's a fantastic live recording of Rush's fantastic sci-fi drama song Cygnus X-1.

"The x-ray is her siren song,
My ship cannot resist her long.
Nearer to my deadly goal
Until the Black Hole ---
Gains control... `

Spinning, whirling,
Still descending,
Like a spiral sea,
Unending!

Sound and fury -
Drowns my heart
My every nerve
Is torn apart....!!!"

Vid with Exploding Planets and stuff, is pretty cool too.

BEST of it all, is of course Geddy Lee's THUNDERBOLTING RICKENBACKER 4001!!!

SIX DAYS and counting...

Anathema

Old 05-23-2011, 07:35 AM   #2093
country flag Li Ching Yuen

Li Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a few bands that are not exclusively progressive, but I'm sure they'll be right up your alley, since I've seen you people say that Tool and PT are the ones you look up at, which is totally cool since they're the best music has to offer from this genre (in the more recent years):

And of course you probably know Gojira:

Old 06-12-2011, 10:20 PM   #2094
country flag Dersu Uzala

Dersu Uzala has a reputation beyond reputeDersu Uzala has a reputation beyond reputeDersu Uzala has a reputation beyond reputeDersu Uzala has a reputation beyond reputeDersu Uzala has a reputation beyond reputeDersu Uzala has a reputation beyond reputeDersu Uzala has a reputation beyond reputeDersu Uzala has a reputation beyond reputeDersu Uzala has a reputation beyond reputeDersu Uzala has a reputation beyond reputeDersu Uzala has a reputation beyond repute

The mighty YES in all their glory.

Dersu Uzala is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:25 PM   #2095
Anathemaniac

^^ Brilliant stuff, thanks for posting!!!

Anathema

Old 06-12-2011, 10:51 PM   #2096
Anathemaniac

The lovely Frisian band Leap Day -

What Would You Do - indeed.

"would you stop and turn around....?"

Anathema

Old 06-12-2011, 11:03 PM   #2097
Anathemaniac

Prog Rock from Ukraine!!!

The lovely Mr. Anthony Kalugin and his fantastic band.

Anathema

Old 06-12-2011, 11:07 PM   #2098
country flag Dersu Uzala

Dersu Uzala has a reputation beyond reputeDersu Uzala has a reputation beyond reputeDersu Uzala has a reputation beyond reputeDersu Uzala has a reputation beyond reputeDersu Uzala has a reputation beyond reputeDersu Uzala has a reputation beyond reputeDersu Uzala has a reputation beyond reputeDersu Uzala has a reputation beyond reputeDersu Uzala has a reputation beyond reputeDersu Uzala has a reputation beyond reputeDersu Uzala has a reputation beyond repute

Continuing the contemporary vibe...

One of my favourite bands: elements of, but not overtly prog.
The "great" Tortoise ..... up on the rooftops.

Dersu Uzala is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:22 PM   #2099
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dersu Uzala View Post
Continuing the contemporary vibe...

One of my favourite bands: elements of, but not overtly prog.
The "great" Tortoise ..... up on the rooftops.
But nothing, NOTHING will ever beat this ultimate fantastic highlight of classic progrock...:

VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR's
immaculate Refugees

Peter Hammill...

Anathema

Old 06-15-2011, 01:49 AM   #2100
Anathemaniac

I can barely think of anything lovelier than Mr. Steven Wilson's Nine Cats from his PT-album "On A Sunday Of Life" - which is in fact a total solo album from this ultimate master of contemporary progrock.

What a masterpiece, how lovely it is.
Been thinking of making a painting inspired by those totally psychedelic lyrics, I guess I will.

Anathema