Bonnie the Cat's, formerly know as Stupid Dream - PROG ROCK thread! - Page 138 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-19-2011, 02:34 AM   #2056
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bonnie the Cat's, formerly know as Stupid Dream - PROG ROCK thread!

So now's time to crash for me - in fact, it was time for me to do so at least three hours ago.

Just a bit of contemporary Prog for you to enjoy. - Anathema's lovely "Thin Air".
(sorry, Gu. )

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2011, 09:49 AM   #2057
country flag jonathancrane

jonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond repute

One of the few 80's prog bands that I like (at least the Fish era)

jonathancrane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:32 PM   #2058
country flag tribalfusion

tribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
Next thing you know, Rainbow is prog rock (
Don't agree on the classic Rush from the 70s not being prog and the quote you referenced was said tongue in cheek. I certainly know all the albums you reference very well and some of the people on them I know personally/musically.

Of course many love to debate what constitutes prog and I will leave that to you.

In any case Dio era Rainbow in particular was awesome and progish at times. I see no reason why this couldn't be prog and whatever it is, it is awesome:

PS how do I embed a video here?...thanks!

Last edited by tribalfusion : 04-22-2011 at 06:50 PM.
tribalfusion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:18 PM   #2059
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the awesome contributions once again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalfusion View Post
Don't agree on the classic Rush from the 70s not being prog
I know very well that people will never agree on 'what's-prog-and-what's-not', but claiming that classic Rush isn't prog is really taking the purist/elitist approach a little bit too far. Haha, so 2112, A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres and the like aren't prog? For me it's as prog as can possibly be.
A alternative reasoning on why Rush is definitely prog: they kept on reinventing themselves, hence their music followes a distinct evolution within time. Isn't that what 'progressive' stands for?

Quote:
Of course many love to debate what constitutes prog and I will leave that to you.
The debate is a never-ending one, and that's good, as long as folks manage to respect the different opinions.

Quote:

PS how do I embed a video here?
Dio/Rainbow - at least prog-related, yep.

I embedded the vid for you - 'how to': take the letter code after the /watch?v= part of the youtube link (in this case: CrHGELlFskA) and put it between [*youtube] - [*/youtube]-tags (without the '*' of course.)

Anathema

Old 04-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #2060

tribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie the Cat View Post
Thanks for the awesome contributions once again!

I know very well that people will never agree on 'what's-prog-and-what's-not', but claiming that classic Rush isn't prog is really taking the purist/elitist approach a little bit too far. Haha, so 2112, A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres and the like aren't prog? For me it's as prog as can possibly be.
A alternative reasoning on why Rush is definitely prog: they kept on reinventing themselves, hence their music followes a distinct evolution within time. Isn't that what 'progressive' stands for?

The debate is a never-ending one, and that's good, as long as folks manage to respect the different opinions.

Dio/Rainbow - at least prog-related, yep.

I embedded the vid for you - 'how to': take the letter code after the /watch?v= part of the youtube link (in this case: CrHGELlFskA) and put it between [*youtube] - [*/youtube]-tags (without the '*' of course.)

Thanks so much for the kind words and video tutorial

I know people love to debate labels for certain, especially very nostalgic music fans...

At any rate perhaps I will post some music which may appeal to progressive fans which would not be known to them generally coming from a more "fusion" background
Old 04-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #2061

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dersu Uzala View Post
Who cares about labels when listening to great music ?

Some recently discovered, (ancient admittedly) rare footage from one of my favourite fusion acts. This is the nuts.
Classic stuff...nice post

Here is something a bit more recent from Tribal Tech featuring the incredible Scott Henderson and Gary Willis who both played with Zawinul and Shorter of Weather Report at various points and set the new standard for fusion in their own group from the mid 1980s onward:

Old 04-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #2062
Anathemaniac

Here's one of the best of a certain band which got dubbed 'not prog' recently.

Lemme see... spacey fantasy-lyrics, a lot of tempo changes, a double-neck Gibson SG, a double-neck Rickenbacker 4001, a minimoog, and oh wait, what's that down there at their feet? Blimey, a Moog Taurus!

Nah... definitely not prog at all.

"To seek the sacred river Alph,
To walk the caves of ice.
To break my fast on honeydew.
And drink the milk of Paradise..."

- I had heard the whispered tales of immortality,
The deepest mystery.
From an ancient book, I took a clue.
I scaled the frozen mountain tops of eastern lands unknown,
Time and Man alone!
Searching for the lost - Xanadu

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 04-23-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:58 PM   #2063
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Thanks so much for the kind words and video tutorial

I know people love to debate labels for certain, especially very nostalgic music fans...
- look what I found for you!

GATES Of BABYLON, LIVE!!!!
O man, the lovely Ronnie Dio is so much missed... what a fantastic singer he was... and yes, I once had the pleasure to meet him, back in 1987 - kind, friendly, a great fellow indeed!

Quote:
At any rate perhaps I will post some music which may appeal to progressive fans which would not be known to them generally coming from a more "fusion" background
I'll admit it - I'm too stupid to understand 'fusion' & 'jazz' as I might should.
UK, Bruford, Brand X, Zappa - okay, nice. But the more obscure stuff... ooh

Anathema

Old 04-23-2011, 11:09 PM   #2064

Quote:
- look what I found for you!

GATES Of BABYLON, LIVE!!!!
O man, the lovely Ronnie Dio is so much missed... what a fantastic singer he was... and yes, I once had the pleasure to meet him, back in 1987 - kind, friendly, a great fellow indeed!

I'll admit it - I'm too stupid to understand 'fusion' & 'jazz' as I might should.
UK, Bruford, Brand X, Zappa - okay, nice. But the more obscure stuff... ooh

Very cool clip...I actually have that and have been collecting video and audio rarities through the years even before the internet by placing ads in magazines like Goldmine and Guitar Player throughout the world and looking for traders Ah, my youth!

Dio was a very sweet guy and recorded music in the late 50s onward (few people know that he had such a long career pre-Rainbow)

Thanks for the Rush as well...one of my favorites from them actually! La Villa Strangiato, Xanadu all of Hemispheres, 2112 etc

On the fusion front, I am glad to see you like the bands that you do which is already a huge start!

I may post some Holdsworth in here as well as a nice transition

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2011, 11:19 PM   #2065
country flag jmjhb

jmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Lemme see... spacey fantasy-lyrics, a lot of tempo changes, a double-neck Gibson SG, a double-neck Rickenbacker 4001, a minimoog, and oh wait, what's that down there at their feet? Blimey, a Moog Taurus!

"To seek the sacred river Alph,
To walk the caves of ice.
To break my fast on honeydew.
And drink the milk of Paradise..."

- I had heard the whispered tales of immortality,
The deepest mystery.
From an ancient book, I took a clue.
I scaled the frozen mountain tops of eastern lands unknown,
Time and Man alone!
Searching for the lost - Xanadu

This very well might be the best post of this entire thread.

Singles rank: #58
Doubles rank: #22

Singles: W: Houston 2013, Montpellier 2014 F: Bucharest 2013, Kitzbühel 2012 SF: US Open 2011

Doubles: W: Le Gosier CH 2013 (w/Goldenoldie) F AO 2014 (w/Goldenoldie) SF: AO 2013 (w/Goldenoldie)

Other: W: WTC Dusseldorf 2012
jmjhb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:22 PM   #2066
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
One of the few 80's prog bands that I like (at least the Fish era)
Genesis cover.

Quote:
Don't agree on the classic Rush from the 70s not being prog and the quote you referenced was said tongue in cheek. I certainly know all the albums you reference very well and some of the people on them I know personally/musically.

In any case Dio era Rainbow in particular was awesome and progish at times. I see no reason why this couldn't be prog and whatever it is, it is awesome:

PS how do I embed a video here?...thanks!
My point wasn't to test your knowledge (or anyone else's for that matter). My point was: THAT is progressive rock. Rush is hard rock with some progressive undertones.

Yeah of course. Rainbow is definitely proggish in most of their albums.

Quote:
It's not progressive rock, honestly. It's a power trio version of Rainbow, as I have already pointed out.

Quote:

Fantasy lyrics aren't exclusive to progressive. That's the realm of hard-rock/metal, most of the times. Double-necked guitars remind me of Led Zeppelin and Whitesnake. The minimoog was used in so many different styles... I think even Ritchie Blackmore used them.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:28 PM   #2067
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Dio was a very sweet guy and recorded music in the late 50s onward (few people know that he had such a long career pre-Rainbow)
Ronnie was one of the best ever. Not just as a singer, but even more as a personality.

THIS:

Quote:
Thanks for the Rush as well...one of my favorites from them actually! La Villa Strangiato, Xanadu all of Hemispheres, 2112 etc
Fantastic stuff mate.

How about this one:

Subdivisions.

Quote:
On the fusion front, I am glad to see you like the bands that you do which is already a huge start!

I may post some Holdsworth in here as well as a nice transition
Do so!
I know it's a major weakness of me, but I will always appreciate 'feelings' above 'technicalities' when it comes to music.

Anathema

Old 04-23-2011, 11:35 PM   #2068
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjhb View Post
This very well might be the best post of this entire thread.
- RUSH is the best proggie band to ever emerge from 'that' side of the Atlantic.
No wonders they're Canucks, rather than US-citizens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
Genesis cover.
Yep, the inspiration is clear. Still, early Marillion, especially with Fish on vocals, is fantastic progrock.

Uhm... I digged up this, and I don't care what you think about it, I think it's FANTASTIC:

Garden Party

Anathema

Old 04-23-2011, 11:46 PM   #2069
Anathemaniac

Oh sorry. Cannot leave without posting another beloved song of mine tonight -

Chelsea Monday

Sheet man, so beautiful...

"She'll pray for endless Sundays, as she enters saffron sunsets -
Conjure phantom lovers from the tattered shreds of dawn.
Fulfilled and yet forgotten the St. Tropez mirage
Fragrant aphrodisiac, the withered tuberose!

Patience, my tinsel angel, patience my perfumed child.
One day they really love you, you'll charm them with that smile -
But for now.... it's just another Chelsea Monday

[Hello John, did you see The Standard about four hours ago?
Fished a young chick out of The Old Father
Blond hair, blue eyes. She said she wanted to be an actress or something
Nobody knows where she came from, where she was going
Funny thing was she had a smile on her face
She was smiling, what a waste]

Catalogue princess, apprentice seductress
Buried in her cellophane world in glitter town
Of Chelsea Monday -

WHAT A WASTE!!!...

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 04-23-2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:36 AM   #2070
Anathemaniac

I was there....

This is fate -
This is your escape.
Leave here now,
Leave here, like it's over...

Let's sleep together, right now
Relieve the pressure - somehow
Switch off the future, right now!

Let's sleep forever!....

OMG.fantastic. PT RULEZZZZ!!!!!

Anathema