Bonnie the Cat's, formerly know as Stupid Dream - PROG ROCK thread! - Page 134 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #1996
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bonnie the Cat's, formerly know as Stupid Dream - PROG ROCK thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
Epic live version of one of their finest songs, how accomplished they were
David Cross
- indeed an awesome, goosebumps-inciting live version of Starless.
Absolutely brilliant. All of them. Oh that mellotron... oh the drums played so immaculately by a very young Mr. Bill Bruford.
Thanks for posting!

I saw Robert Fripp performing live some time ago - as the 'Special Guest' to, who-else-could-it-be, Mr. Steven Wilson's Porcupine Tree.
The youngsters in the crowd didn't quite understand the Frippertronics coming over their heads, but at least the majority had the decency of applauding for the Old Master.

Right now SW is doing new stereo- and 5.1- remixes to several classic KC-albums. Fripp asked him to do so, and it's a great idea indeed, as there's barely a better mixer/producer to be found than SW nowadays.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #1997
country flag tribalfusion

tribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie the Cat View Post
Ah, we can only *hope* they will.
I know the crowds come from all over the world nowadays, a few years ago we had the annual 'Symforce'-festival over here and there were folks from the US, Brazil, & Venezuela around. Prog LIVES!

Haha, yeah, PT is one of my all-time favourite bands...And Blackfield? - I will be seeing them [b]tomorrow evening in Amsterdam's Paradiso!
Well, yes! I'd surely want to hear it! Pullleezzz?
Thank you! Glad you enjoy it. It's my pleasure.
You truly are one Hell Of A Lucky Baztard indeed.
Prog festivals are a very nice development..I figured from your user names you must be a Porcupine Tree fan let me know how you liked the Blackfield show

As for the concert, there is a wonderful torrent community called Dime a Dozen and if you join (it is full usually but keep trying over the course of a few minutes etc) you can grab tons of lossless concerts in pretty much any style...tons of prog and fusion

Enjoy and let me know if you have any trouble grabbing it!

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-d....php?id=352452

UK Reunion
Regent Theatre
Arlington, MA
8 April 2011

Recorded by ProzaKcblues

CD1
01 In The Dead Of Night >
02 By The Light Of Day >
03 Presto Vivace And Reprise
04 Danger Money
05 Thirty Years
06 Alaska >
07 Time To Kill
08 Starless
09 Carrying No Cross

CD2
01 Zero 1 (Marco)
02 Zero 2 (Edwin)
03 Book Of Saturday
04 Nevermore (1st performance in entirety)
05 One More Red Nightmare >
06 Caesar's Palace Blues >
07 Sahara Of Snow Pt. II
08 E: Night After Night
09 The Only thing She Needs
10 Rendezvous 6:02

John Wetton - Bass, Voice
Edwin Jobson - Violin, Keyboards
Marco Minnemann - Drums
Alex Machacek - Guitar

SP-CMC-8 - Sound Professionals Microphones
Sony PCM-M10 Recorder
tribalfusion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #1998
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalfusion View Post
Prog festivals are a very nice development..I figured from your user names you must be a Porcupine Tree fan let me know how you liked the Blackfield show
I will! - I'm still getting adjusted to their latest album, 'Welcome to my DNA'. I had a bit of trouble with it at the beginning (lots of things I heard before, as well as quite horrible lyrics 'FYA, etc....' ), but the more I hear it, the better it gets. Watch out for my review on the wonderful ProgArchives soon.

Quote:
As for the concert, there is a wonderful torrent community called Dime a Dozen and if you join (it is full usually but keep trying over the course of a few minutes etc) you can grab tons of lossless concerts in pretty much any style...tons of prog and fusion

Enjoy and let me know if you have any trouble grabbing it!

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-d....php?id=352452
Thanks, I will try it out! Great setlist, btw.

Anathema

Old 04-10-2011, 07:29 AM   #1999
country flag jonathancrane

jonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond repute

I woke up today listening this one

jonathancrane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:22 AM   #2000
country flag Thanos

Thanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond repute

richard barbieri solo albums are work of genius. it a shame that porcupine tree doesn't have a similar sound.
Thanos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:04 PM   #2001
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
I woke up today listening this one
Rush' #1 instrumental masterpiece. I'm looking forward to hearing it LIVE in about two months time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
richard barbieri solo albums are work of genius. it a shame that porcupine tree doesn't have a similar sound.
I think Barbieri's contributions to PT are in fact very underrated, he adds a lot to the 'dark atmosphere' of most of their work. Of course he shows more of his abilities on his solo albums, but that's what solo albums are there for.

Anathema

Old 04-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #2002
Anathemaniac

Yesterday's concert of Blackfield and The Pineapple Thief was a GAZZZZ. A stunning performance from both bands. I wonder if there's anyone going to beat this gig for my annual "concert of the year"-prize.

Busy with uploading my vids and pictures, and I'll write an extensive review on my blog.

Anathema

Old 04-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #2003
country flag jmjhb

jmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond repute

Can you recommend me some recent prog?

I already have most of Porcupine Tree's discography, and I need to get Blackfield's stuff, but apart from that I can't think of many other recent prog bands.

A bonus if they sound anything like Rush, though I realise that's improbable because they are one of a kind.

Singles rank: #110
Doubles rank: #31

Singles: W: Houston 2013, Montpellier 2014 F: Bucharest 2013, Kitzbühel 2012 SF: US Open 2011

Doubles (w/Goldenoldie): W: Le Gosier CH 2013 F AO 2014 SF: (w/Goldenoldie)

Other: W: WTC Dusseldorf 2012
jmjhb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #2004
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjhb View Post
Can you recommend me some recent prog?

I already have most of Porcupine Tree's discography, and I need to get Blackfield's stuff, but apart from that I can't think of many other recent prog bands.

A bonus if they sound anything like Rush, though I realise that's improbable because they are one of a kind.
hi and welcome!

Well, some recent prog... first, I don't think there's any band that actually resembles Rush, as you say, they're pretty much unique!
But there are a lot of very interesting bands out there. As you've already discovered PT, I can very much advise you to check out Riverside (quite heavy but very melodic prog from Poland), Anekdoten (very vintage sounding prog from Sweden), Opeth (Swedish progressive/death), EVERYTHING by Dutch multi-instrumentalist Arjen Anthony Lucassen aka Ayreon, The Pineapple Thief (atmospheric space rock from the UK), and of course, my personal favourites Anathema - atmospheric very melodic and melancholy stuff, think a cross-over between Pink Floyd, Radiohead and Muse.

Of course there's a lot, lot more, but it's a good idea to just start of with checking out the above mentioned bands. The progrock scene is very much alive and kicking right now!

Anathema

Old 04-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #2005
country flag jmjhb

jmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, thanks very much, I'll have a listen and get back to you

Singles: W: Houston 2013, Montpellier 2014 F: Bucharest 2013, Kitzbühel 2012 SF: US Open 2011

Old 04-11-2011, 03:54 PM   #2006
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Wow, thanks very much, I'll have a listen and get back to you
- btw, you can find a ton of information on tons of bands on this fantastic site: ProgArchives.com. About any band ever having to do anything with progrock is included over there.
(and a lot who don't have anything to do with prog, imho, as well. )

Anathema

Old 04-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #2007
Anathemaniac

My review of Blackfield & The Pineapple Thief's concert at Paradiso, Amsterdam, to be found over here.

Containing some vids as well, one of them I will post over here too...

"Welcome to my DNA"

Sound is dreadful, but that wasn't the case at the concert, it's my crappy camera.

Anathema

Old 04-18-2011, 11:13 PM   #2008
Anathemaniac

"I'm just a Clown In The Eyes of The World" - aka, the best of the lovely Swedish progrockers The Flower Kings.

As close to YES as you'd imagine, alas, they're in decline now, but their album 'Stardust We Are' is a genuine classic beauty of Progrock.

Oh you might just spot ME there on the front row in this vid.

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 04-18-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:33 PM   #2009
country flag jmjhb

I'm slowly working my way through your recommendations! Got a few albums by Riverside and The Pineapple Thief which I really like

Old 04-18-2011, 11:40 PM   #2010
Anathemaniac

Quote:
I'm slowly working my way through your recommendations! Got a few albums by Riverside and The Pineapple Thief which I really like

Very nice to hear!
Riverside's Out of Myself, as well as their Second Life Syndrome are true masterpieces.

Hee, a nice vid of some of their stuff... -

FANTASTIC song.

MARIUSZ DUDA, what a singer! What a Bass player!!!

Hey, I was there at that concert!

Even more: THIS is my recording of that same performance, from Paradiso's balcony:

Immaculate. WHAT a performance.

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 04-18-2011 at 11:46 PM.