Bonnie the Cat's, formerly know as Stupid Dream - PROG ROCK thread! - Page 132 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-27-2011, 12:38 AM   #1966
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bonnie the Cat's, formerly know as Stupid Dream - PROG ROCK thread!

As for the reviewing business, got me a nasty job again.
Our reviewers team has this habit of throwing stuff around amongst ourselves, to just find the fellow to do best at that job at the particular emission on question - in short,
- if it's Classic Symphonic Prog, especially when from Latin countries, send it to Erik "Mr. ProgAndaluz" N.
- if it has bunches of classic keys (Moogs Mellotrons & Hammonds) - off to Paul R.
- Italian symphonic prog - Birdman's the one.
- Progressive Metal: off to Menno.
- Psychedelics/Space Rock: André. Or, eh... me.

Guess who's getting stuck with the stuff that Fits-In-NOWHERE, aka alternative post-prog?

Me. As of now I have the 'honour' to review the latest attempt by Amplifier, "The Octopus". WOW, it's a genuine MONSTER.

This one's a hard job, as I just can't manage to get the ghyst of it all... as of yet. I truly loved their earlier outputs, but somehow I can't help but feel that this one is truly 'over-the-top'...

One big comfort for the band, I thought exactly the same about Yes' Tales back in 1976, so there might still be hope for them left.

For now, an example how psychedelic post-prog should sound:

Spiritualized - "Ladies and Gentlemen, we're floating in space..."

A very early example of genuine atmospheric post-prog.
That genre's MY personal stronghold among our reviewer team.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 02-27-2011 at 12:59 AM.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2011, 01:26 AM   #1967
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Oh shit...

The lovely Mr. Damian Wilson performing Mr. Arjen Anthony Lucassen's fantastic "Eyes of Time"!

I was there. sjeet!!!

Oh man.

Just check out THIS, so fantastic.:

Jeebus.

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 03-01-2011 at 01:36 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:55 AM   #1968
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

The more I listen to it, the more I think Tales From Topographic Oceans is probably the best thing I've heard from Yes since Close To The Edge.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:09 AM   #1969
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
The more I listen to it, the more I think Tales From Topographic Oceans is probably the best thing I've heard from Yes since Close To The Edge.
It sure has its great moments, yeah.
Nothing ever beats Mr. Chissie Squire on his Rickenbacker 4001 - even if he seems to be rather inaudible on most of Tales.
Too bad. Mr. Jon Anderson makes up to it though.

To be honest, there's a lot of GARBAGE on that album, too.

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 03-01-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:31 AM   #1970
Anathemaniac

Uhm, hah, Da Master on Da Bass - read: The Rickenbacker 4001 - TALKS -

I got myself that same Rick but never managed to get anyhere near to Chrissie's sound.

Anathema

Old 03-01-2011, 02:47 AM   #1971
Anathemaniac

And whatever trash will be adjurned to me, this is just IMMACULATE:

"If the Summer changed to Winter, Yours is No., Yours is NO Disgrace!!!"

Sjeet, so fantastic. This the 1972-live version. Imho, the best ever.

If you don't appreciate this Ultimate Masterpiece, I should well conclude that you're no genuine lover of prog rock at all.

THIS IS FANTASTIC!!!

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 03-01-2011 at 02:57 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:43 AM   #1972
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie the Cat View Post
It sure has its great moments, yeah.
Nothing ever beats Mr. Chissie Squire on his Rickenbacker 4001 - even if he seems to be rather inaudible on most of Tales.
Too bad. Mr. Jon Anderson makes up to it though.

To be honest, there's a lot of GARBAGE on that album, too.
I don't think there's garbage in that album. I think it's misunderstood. It's an album that flows. The more I listen to it, the more I understand the motives and the ideas... It's all leitmotiv. The same passages and themes keep on appearing in new and creative ways. Of course for some the music sounds overdrawn but it's supposed to seem like an eternal flowing of ideas and themes - you can see it draws a lot from the oriental theories of life as an eternal cycle. It's almost palpable how much they've polished the ideas. Of course I have my favorite moments: The Revealing Science of God - Dance Of The Dawn is just flawless. So is Ritual.

I'd love to listen to a remixed version of that album. One with Squire a little more up front in the mix, but not too much, as it would break the flow a little bit, considering he loves his counterpoints and syncopated notes.

"They move fast... they tell me... but I just can't believe they really mean to..
There's someone, to tell you... a course towards the universal season
Getting over overhanging trees, let them **** the forest
They might stand and leave them... clearly to be home
Getting over wars we do not mean - we charm the movement suffers
Call out all our memories... clearly to be home

We've moved fast... we need love... a part we offer is our only freedom

What happened to this song we once knew so well?
Signed promise for moments caught within the spell
We must have waited all our lives for this...

Past present movers moments we'll process the future but only through him we know... send flowered rainbows
Apiece apart chased flowers of the dark and lights of songs to follow and show all we feel for and know of... cast round...
You seekers of the truth accepting that reason will relive and breathe and hope and chase and love for you and you and you..."

Just genius. Just pure fucking bloody genius. Sorry if I made mistakes - I've never read the lyrics to memorise... it's all from listening.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:08 AM   #1973
Anathemaniac

Very nice to see around again, Gu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
I don't think there's garbage in that album. I think it's misunderstood. It's an album that flows. The more I listen to it, the more I understand the motives and the ideas... It's all leitmotiv. The same passages and themes keep on appearing in new and creative ways. Of course for some the music sounds overdrawn but it's supposed to seem like an eternal flowing of ideas and themes - you can see it draws a lot from the oriental theories of life as an eternal cycle. It's almost palpable how much they've polished the ideas. Of course I have my favorite moments: The Revealing Science of God - Dance Of The Dawn is just flawless. So is Ritual.
Oh I do agree, for most. Still I think the album would have benefitted if it were just a single album, in stead of a double one. Cut out some of the [...] and it would've been a masterpiece. I admit, my verdict of the 'less enjoyable pieces' being 'garbage' is just a mite too harsh.
Most of those Expendable Stuff is there in the two songs you didn't mention, don't you agree?

As if you'd know by now, I happen to have this habit of Bashing My Beloved - whether they are musicians or tennis players, or whatever. I just don't do the -kind of stuff that ignorant fanboys do.
It's in my blood, unfortunately. I happen to be a level-headed scientist, and cannot afford myself infantile behaviour like that.

Quote:
I'd love to listen to a remixed version of that album. One with Squire a little more up front in the mix, but not too much, as it would break the flow a little bit, considering he loves his counterpoints and syncopated notes.
Absolutely agree with you on this. The production of that album is just flawed, especially with Chris' Rick being too far back, as I said - barely audible at times.

Quote:
"They move fast... they tell me... but I just can't believe they really mean to..
There's someone, to tell you... a course towards the universal season
Getting over overhanging trees, let them **** the forest
They might stand and leave them... clearly to be home
Getting over wars we do not mean - we charm the movement suffers
Call out all our memories... clearly to be home

We've moved fast... we need love... a part we offer is our only freedom

What happened to this song we once knew so well?
Signed promise for moments caught within the spell
We must have waited all our lives for this...

Past present movers moments we'll process the future but only through him we know... send flowered rainbows
Apiece apart chased flowers of the dark and lights of songs to follow and show all we feel for and know of... cast round...
You seekers of the truth accepting that reason will relive and breathe and hope and chase and love for you and you and you..."

Just genius. Just pure fucking bloody genius. Sorry if I made mistakes - I've never read the lyrics to memorise... it's all from listening.
You know very well how much I love this particular part of the song. It's immaculate, even if you may think it makes no sense at all (which I happen to do ) but it sounds just friggin' incredibly beautiful.
A true classic indeed.

But still, I think TOTO would have benefitted from some 'pruning'.

Anathema

Old 03-03-2011, 01:44 AM   #1974
Anathemaniac

SHEETZ... http://solarfallsrealm.livejournal.com/356940.html

The lovely Mr. Danny Cavanagh of Anathema-fame will be playing one of his lovely intimate club solo concert stints again. Just announced today.
Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow....

huh huh sorry, me in fangirly mood right now.
Not so level-headed... in some cases.

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 03-03-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:51 PM   #1975
Anathemaniac

*BOINK*

Well, that truly was A Night To Remember. The link contains a review to a live concert, if you didn't get it, btw.

Hugs, kisses, & kudos from (and to) the lovely, talented guy responsible for one of the best progrock albums of 2010 - voted by both readers and reviewers of iO-Pages, Classic Rock Magazine, Aardschok Magazine, and of course, ProgArchives.
Partly because we kinda 'like' each other ( - no 'strings attached'), but much, much more because all of the work I've been doing the past 10 years or more just to spread the word around... You're very, very welcome, Mr. Danny Cavanagh!

What could one want more?

Nothing really. Especially now I know that Anathema, that particular guy's FANTASTIC band, will join in at about every progrock festival worth mentioning about in Europe, this upcoming summer!!! Even invited as support act to Dream Theater at their appearances in Italy... going places, no?

WOW, hard to make a choice on where to go coming June/July.
And so lovely to see them finally get all the credits they deserve, after some 15 good years of making at least prog-related music. Their latest being an absolute high-light in current post-progressive rock.

I make no secret of it, I am .

Lots, LOTS of concerts to come this years' Spring and Summer season. To name but a few: Devin Townsend Project, Van der Graaf Generator, Blackfield, Riverside, Opeth, Threshold, Leap Day, Amplifier, Neil Morse, and that doesn't even include the line-ups at the forthcoming summer festivals.
You truly thing that 'Prog = DEAD'? Well, just *think again*, the genre is alive-and-kicking!
NERDS RULE, folks... ... "We're Here Because We're Here..."

I'll be busy, the coming weeks!

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 03-12-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:21 AM   #1976
Anathemaniac

" ...There is no difficulty that enough love will not conquer. There is no disease that enough love cannot heal, No door that enough love will not open, No gulf that enough love will not bridge, and no war that enough love will not throw down. It makes no difference how deeply seated may be the trouble, how hopeless the outcome, how muddled the tangle, how great the mistake. A sufficient realization of love will dissolve it all. And if you could love enough, you would be the happiest and most powerful person in the world...."

We're Here, Because We're Here!

ANATHEMA!!!

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 03-12-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #1977
country flag Aphex
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Aphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Spiritualized - "Ladies and Gentlemen, we're floating in space..."

A very early example of genuine atmospheric post-prog.
That genre's MY personal stronghold among our reviewer team.
Got any more examples of Spiritualized-type music? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:59 PM   #1978
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphex View Post
Got any more examples of Spiritualized-type music? Thanks in advance.
Pfew! Well, I think Spiritualized are pretty unique in their style, combining space rock/psychedelica with pure 1990's britpop, and even garage/blues influences being there as well.

I'll do a search - I'm thinking the more 'trippy' stuff of bands like Ozric Tentacles, The Verve, My Bloody Valentine, Flying Saucer Attack, Mercury Rev, Massive Attack and even a band like Portishead.

And of course Muse and Mogwai, who have a lot of these influences as well.
Not to forget early Pink Floyd and Porcupine Tree!

Oh... and you might well like the last song of Anathema's I posted over here as well.

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 03-13-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:51 AM   #1979
Anathemaniac

Posted a review on yesterday's show by The Devin Townsend Project at my blog. Enjoy!

Anathema

Old 03-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #1980
country flag Aphex
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Aphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Pfew! Well, I think Spiritualized are pretty unique in their style, combining space rock/psychedelica with pure 1990's britpop, and even garage/blues influences being there as well.

I'll do a search - I'm thinking the more 'trippy' stuff of bands like Ozric Tentacles, The Verve, My Bloody Valentine, Flying Saucer Attack, Mercury Rev, Massive Attack and even a band like Portishead.

And of course Muse and Mogwai, who have a lot of these influences as well.
Not to forget early Pink Floyd and Porcupine Tree!

Oh... and you might well like the last song of Anathema's I posted over here as well.
Thx for the answer. Anathema where pretty good. MBV and Massive Attack are legends of course. Flying Saucer Attack is a very cool band name, so I guess I have to check them out1