Bonnie the Cat's, formerly know as Stupid Dream - PROG ROCK thread! - Page 128 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-10-2010, 08:11 AM   #1906
country flag ktdude

ktdude has a reputation beyond reputektdude has a reputation beyond reputektdude has a reputation beyond reputektdude has a reputation beyond reputektdude has a reputation beyond reputektdude has a reputation beyond reputektdude has a reputation beyond reputektdude has a reputation beyond reputektdude has a reputation beyond reputektdude has a reputation beyond reputektdude has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bonnie the Cat's, formerly know as Stupid Dream - PROG ROCK thread!

I need to come in here more often to keep up! You guys are great at getting me listening to new stuff!

Anathema are a band I mean to check out more often - I have one of their albums and I really like it. And they're British!

Meshuggah I like although I can't listen to them a lot - but I think they are really amazing at what they do. Will be seeing them live on Friday at the festival I'm going to - very excited about it as it'll be my first time seeing them!

Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson are great - I love his work with Opeth too, he's a great producer.

My most beloved band at the moment are band from Seattle called Rishloo. They are Tool-esque I guess, (I also adore Tool) but they certainly have their own sound, they are totally independent at the moment which sucks a bit as it means it's unlikely they'll ever tour overseas unless they get a LOT more fans - so here's my attempt to spread the word about them!! This is the first song from their latest album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGcf8zrSJ94

(Sorry not sure how to embed yet!!) Check out their albums Eidolon and Feathergun, they are both incredible. The best vocalist I've ever heard, no exaggeration. They definitely fit into the prog category I think!

Have a good day everybody

PAW: Current: 71/163 (21.02.11). Peak: 68/162 (07.02.11). Best: 3rd Beijing
TT Singles: Current: 176/324 (07.03.11). Peak: 176/324 (07.03.11). Best: SF Palermo, Asuncion, Dallas.
TT Doubles: Current: 156/301 (07.03.11). Peak: 156/301 (07.03.11). Best: W Asuncion (w/IgorBr) W Sheffield (w/jazar)
FITD: Current: 78/160 (28.02.11). Peak: 78/160 (28.02.11). Best: W Stockholm
Suicide Tennis: Current: 144/198 (29.11.10). Peak: 141/198 (08/11/10).
ktdude is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2010, 07:34 AM   #1907
country flag opeth84

opeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdude View Post
I need to come in here more often to keep up! You guys are great at getting me listening to new stuff!

Anathema are a band I mean to check out more often - I have one of their albums and I really like it. And they're British!

Meshuggah I like although I can't listen to them a lot - but I think they are really amazing at what they do. Will be seeing them live on Friday at the festival I'm going to - very excited about it as it'll be my first time seeing them!

Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson are great - I love his work with Opeth too, he's a great producer.

My most beloved band at the moment are band from Seattle called Rishloo. They are Tool-esque I guess, (I also adore Tool) but they certainly have their own sound, they are totally independent at the moment which sucks a bit as it means it's unlikely they'll ever tour overseas unless they get a LOT more fans - so here's my attempt to spread the word about them!! This is the first song from their latest album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGcf8zrSJ94

(Sorry not sure how to embed yet!!) Check out their albums Eidolon and Feathergun, they are both incredible. The best vocalist I've ever heard, no exaggeration. They definitely fit into the prog category I think!

Have a good day everybody
Hey hows it going?

Definitely check out the rest of the Anathema discography. You won't be disappointed

Thanks for the tip on Rishloo. Enjoyed what ive heard so far. Can definitely hear the tool influence but they have there own style for sure. Another recommendation if you are a fan of Tool would be Isis. They unfortunately disbanded about a month or 2 back but released some brilliant albums during there run.

Post metal at it's finest.

opeth84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:49 AM   #1908
country flag ktdude

ktdude has a reputation beyond reputektdude has a reputation beyond reputektdude has a reputation beyond reputektdude has a reputation beyond reputektdude has a reputation beyond reputektdude has a reputation beyond reputektdude has a reputation beyond reputektdude has a reputation beyond reputektdude has a reputation beyond reputektdude has a reputation beyond reputektdude has a reputation beyond repute

Hello!! I'm good thanks, and yourself?

I will certainly look into some more Anathema. The album I like is Eternity. Although I've just discovered I also have 'The Silent Enigma' on my iPod so I'll check that out first!!

I really like ISIS! I had no idea they had disbanded, that's a real shame. I saw them live at the back end of last year in a tiny venue, they were so so good. What a shame

One day to go until festival goodness!! Bring my Devvy to me!

PAW: Current: 71/163 (21.02.11). Peak: 68/162 (07.02.11). Best: 3rd Beijing
TT Singles: Current: 176/324 (07.03.11). Peak: 176/324 (07.03.11). Best: SF Palermo, Asuncion, Dallas.
TT Doubles: Current: 156/301 (07.03.11). Peak: 156/301 (07.03.11). Best: W Asuncion (w/IgorBr) W Sheffield (w/jazar)
FITD: Current: 78/160 (28.02.11). Peak: 78/160 (28.02.11). Best: W Stockholm
Suicide Tennis: Current: 144/198 (29.11.10). Peak: 141/198 (08/11/10).
ktdude is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:41 PM   #1909
country flag Primus

Primus has a reputation beyond reputePrimus has a reputation beyond reputePrimus has a reputation beyond reputePrimus has a reputation beyond reputePrimus has a reputation beyond reputePrimus has a reputation beyond reputePrimus has a reputation beyond reputePrimus has a reputation beyond reputePrimus has a reputation beyond reputePrimus has a reputation beyond reputePrimus has a reputation beyond repute

How the f*** can you link videos here? Thx
Primus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:05 AM   #1910
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks!

Quote:
Hello!! I'm good thanks, and yourself?

I will certainly look into some more Anathema. The album I like is Eternity. Although I've just discovered I also have 'The Silent Enigma' on my iPod so I'll check that out first!!
Anathema have moved quite far away from their 'The Silent Enigma'-days by now, but I agree with you so much - that album is a landmark in classic 1990's doom metal. My favs from that album are Cerulean Twilight, and most of all, Sunset of Age. Fantastic stuff!
'Eternity' is a a beauty as well. Well in fact - ALL of their albums are!

Well, here's

Fantastic. Danny's concluding guitar solo on this song - from the 5:20 mark in this vid - is just...
But eh... those wobbly vocals by Vinnie. Just can't believe how much he's managed to improve the past 13 years, he's a top-notch singer right now. Incredible improvement, there.

Quote:
I really like ISIS! I had no idea they had disbanded, that's a real shame. I saw them live at the back end of last year in a tiny venue, they were so so good. What a shame
Me too! Well... let's just hope they might get back together again in the upcoming years. If there's one thing I've learned from the past 30 years or so (yep, I know - ), it's that many great bands come back together after having a period of much-needed 'rest'.
Best example of that for now - Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Yes, they're back!

Quote:
One day to go until festival goodness!! Bring my Devvy to me!
Which festival are you going to attend?
Have a lot of fun - and I understand you're going to see Devin over there? Well, you won't be disappointed! Have fun over there, and do post a report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus View Post
How the f*** can you link videos here? Thx
Hi there, Les Claypool-fan!
Simple: get the 'embed'-code from the YouTube-vid you want to post - or just copy from the link address, thereafter, apply the bit coming after the 'watch?v='-part between [*youtube] - [*/youtube]-tags (without the '*' of course), and there you are! Good luck.
Looking forward to your contributions over here.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:14 AM   #1911
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

And now for some lovely classical, !obscure! contempory progrock -

The lovely Belgian band Hypnos69, performing their beautiful "Halfway to the Stars", coming from their fantastic album "The Eclectic Measure". Read more about these guys over here.
Steef Houtmeyers, here's me greeting you, dear fellow!!!

Wow what a band. Very King Crimson-like - Mellotrons! and yes, a THEREMIN!!! live, on stage - but a lot more accessible. Check them out.

GODHEAVENS this is fantastic!!!

That truly gorgeous band has just released a new album.
I can't wait for it to hit my postbox!

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 08-12-2010 at 02:50 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:00 AM   #1912
Anathemaniac

More 'Contemporary' PROG, anyone?

Here's the lovely Swedish Anekdoten:

- From Within...

Indeed.

Anathema

Old 08-12-2010, 03:14 AM   #1913
Anathemaniac

And it doesn't get any better than THIS imho:

"The days get shorter as weeks pass,
summer turns to fall,
The birds will cease to sing and chant -
and follow with the call.
It's getting clearer and the truth -
unsparingly reveals
I've drifted imperceptibly out to sea!

If I should meet you after all these years,
how could I find the words?
I'd greet you with passion and with tears
for all the time we've lost -
time, lost!
"

Jeebus so f*cking beautiful. Anekdoten - "Where Solitude Remains", you RULE!!!

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 08-12-2010 at 03:20 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:42 AM   #1914
Anathemaniac

Anekdoten Fans, picture made at their appearance at De Pul, NL back in 2008:

Yep, that's *us*.

Oops.

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 08-12-2010 at 03:48 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:14 AM   #1915
country flag Primus

Primus has a reputation beyond reputePrimus has a reputation beyond reputePrimus has a reputation beyond reputePrimus has a reputation beyond reputePrimus has a reputation beyond reputePrimus has a reputation beyond reputePrimus has a reputation beyond reputePrimus has a reputation beyond reputePrimus has a reputation beyond reputePrimus has a reputation beyond reputePrimus has a reputation beyond repute

Thx Bonnie, this one is for you
Old 08-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #1916
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus View Post
Thx Bonnie, this one is for you
I was there in person!
On both evenings, where the "Anesthetize"-DVD got recorded. Too bad they cut out some of the more 'amusing' moments - read: bloopers - Mr. S.W. came out on stage and the first thing he did was knock down his microphone, BANG! Said he was nervous "because of so many camera's around".
Fortunately, the rest of the concert(s) turned out very well and they managed to make it into a very nice DVD indeed. The only thing I don't understand is why they cut out Stars Die, which was a lovely, intimate moment in between all of the heavy stuff. Guess Steven wasn't happy with his performance there (his vocals were a bit shaky, but I think that suits the song rather well). A bit of a shame.

Anathema

Old 08-13-2010, 01:05 PM   #1917
country flag Primus

I saw them in Ljubljana half year ago. It was the best concert in my life. The Incident tour. Althou they played like 2 1/2 hours it seemd like a flash. Realy amazing performance by Wilson & co. Can't wait for next one!
Next concert (hope so ):

Come break my bones, come spread my ashes.
Come wear me down, come wear me down.

In life a king, in death a failure.
Come help me cry, come help me cry.

"I wanted to be changed by the road.
I so wanted to change the road.
But somehow we both resisted change.
Somehow we were both too strong.
And yet we both winded away, unsure of where we head.
And it's like we're both confused as to who is who.
As if, late in the night, you can't tell the runner from the road - the walker from the walked.
Maybe I am just the road, dreaming the I walk"

Dust in my throat, dust in my nostrils.
Dust in my mouth, dust in my eyes.
From dust I come, through dust I wander.
Dust I'll remain - dust all I am.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:04 PM   #1918
country flag Black Dog

Black Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Dog has a reputation beyond repute

There you go as promised:

Like I said, the quality is quite crappy, but that's the best you can have using a Nokia E63 to capture down-tuned 8-string guitars...

Quote:
Me too, saw them live last November and heard that they disbanded a month ago or so...
An excerpt form that live show I watched, probably one of their best songs (well, at least for me... ):

And finally, something "less heavy"

"There is no such thing as a natural death: nothing that happens to a man is ever natural, since his presence calls the world into question. All men must die: but for every man his death is an accident and, even if he knows it and consents to it, an unjustifiable violation."
Black Dog is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:15 AM   #1919
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
And finally, something "less heavy"
- well how about this one?
Classical Genesis, yes - immaculate stuff.

The Fountain of Salmacis.
Genesis & Peter Gabriel, 1972.

Anathema

Old 08-14-2010, 03:45 AM   #1920
Anathemaniac

Oh Help. The most beautiful, most underrated Genesis song ever -

Can-Utility & the Coastliners -

"The scattered pages of a book, by the sea.
Held by the sand, washed by the waves
A shadow forms, cast by a cloud,
Skimming by as eyes of the past,
but the rising tide absorbs them effortlessly claiming.

They're told of one who tired of all, singing,
"Praise him, praise him."
"We heed not flatter us," he cried,
"By our command, waters retreat,
Show my power, halt at my feet,"
But the cause was lost,
Now cold winds blow...

Far from the north, overcast ranks advance
Fear of the storm, accusing with rage and scorn.
The waves surround the sinking throne,
singing "Crown him, crown him,"
"Those who love our majesty, show themselves!"
All bent their knee...

But he forced a smile, even though
his hopes lay dashed, where offerings fell (where they fell)!

"Nothing Can My Peace Destroy As Long As None Smiles."
More opened ears and opened eyes,
And soon they dared to laugh -

See a little man with his face turning red,
Though his story's often told you can tell - he's dead."

So much flpoooqwyupqwoiudpshvaksdfh;aerh erwaerea uu=pounbggbae wieourqpweurpqwer
arch hhh - uhm
underrated, this beautiful song!

One of Peter Gabriel's best ever.

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 08-14-2010 at 04:16 AM.